- How do I join the community?
- Why should I register?
- What is a Display Name?
- How do I activate/confirm my account?
- Account Management
- What if I forgot my password or user ID?
- How do I change my password?
- How do I stop the site from sending me emails?
- How do I access my account settings?
- How do I disable my account?
- I am having trouble logging into the site. Help!
- Do you give out my email address to third parties?
- Content and Features
- What kind of content will I find here and how is it organized?
- Does the community have RSS Feeds?
- I can't find what I'm looking for. What should I do?
- I posted a question or topic for discussion in the forums and no one has responded. Why not?
- Private Messaging
- Can I send a message directly to another user?
- What if I don't want to receive private messages (PMs) from other users?
- How do I reply to a private message (PM) that someone sent me?
- Is my e-mail address safe if I use the private message system?
- Community Policies
- What is considered inappropriate behavior?
- How do I report inappropriate behavior?
- What happens if the policies are broken?
- I've been banned unfairly, what do I do?
- Website Design
- The community web pages don't fit well in my browser. Am I doing something wrong?
- What web browsers work best with this site?
- How do I report a bug on the site?
- Can I make suggestions for functionality that I would like to see?
- What's the best way to give you my opinion or feedback on the site?
How do I join the community?
Go to the registration page and sign up! It's easy and it's free!
Why should I register?
Registration has the following benefits:
- It gives you the ability to:
- Post new articles
- Discuss and rate articles, blog entries, and more
- Review all the items in your own browsing history
- Send and receive private messages
- Track all your contributions and discussions
- Sign up for the community newsletter
- Participate in the Community Forums
- Participate in community groups
- Manage notifications
- Create a community profile
- It enables us to better customize the site to your needs
- It's free and easy!
What is a Display Name?
A Display Name (or user id) is the way in which we uniquely recognize you on the website. It can be your name, a nickname, or just something that sounds good to you. Your display name will be associated with and be displayed on all articles, discussions, and posts that you make. Be sure that you pick one that you can live with, because you cannot change it! If you absolutely need your user name changed, contact us and we'll try to help you out.
How do I activate/confirm my account?
After you register with the community, you will receive an email at the address you used on the registration form asking you to actviate your account. All you need to do is click on the link in the email and your account will be verified. If you can't find the e-mail in your inbox, be sure to check all junk and spam folders.
If you deleted the email or cannot find it, please send us an email using the topic 'Account/Registration' and we'll help you out.
If you are having trouble confirming your account, feel free to send us an email and we will do what we can to help you.
What if I forgot my password or user ID?
If you forgot your password, click the log in link in the top right corner, then click the "forgot my password" link underneath the log in area. Type your registered e-mail address into the box and a new temporary password will be emailed to you. Use it to log in, then visit your profile and change your password.
How do I change my password?
After you login, go to your profile page and click the "Account Info" tab.
How do I stop the site from sending me emails?
All control for what you receive from the community is available to you via the profile and thread subscriptions list. We donĀ?t maintain any separate mailing lists; all notifications and newsletters are sent automatically based on your opt-ins and subscriptions in your profile. If you wish to no longer receive notifications for discussions or other mailings, all you need to do is update your notification settings and discussion subscriptions on the site. Same goes if you want to subscribe to the newsletter or another discussion, just visit the site and change your settings.
To adjust mailing, newsletter subscriptions, private messaging, and defaults for discussion subscriptions, log in to your account and visit "Notifications" in your user profile:
To manage individual discussion subscriptions (comment notification e-mails), log in to your account and visit "My E-Mail Notifications" under "My Stuff" in the sidebar, or click here. Also, if you go to the discussion that you keep getting notifications from, you can click the "unsubscribe" link right at the top of the page if you're logged in to your account.
How do I access my account settings?
Login with your Email ID and password, then click the "Account Info" tab.
How do I disable my account?
To disable your account click here. Note that you will no longer have access to your personalized content or other benefits of the community if your account is disabled.
I am having trouble logging into the site. Help!
Try the following things:
- Make sure that you are typing in your Email ID appropriately and not using your Display Name. Make sure you are using the e-mail address you registered with.
- Passwords are case sensitive, so make sure that you don't have the caps lock on.
If you still cannot login, send us a note and we'll try to help you out!
Do you give out my email address to third parties?
Content and Features
What kind of content will I find here and how is it organized?
Content is contributed by the community members as articles, blog entries, forum threads, groups, video clips, and more. Every new content item also allows for ongoing discussion.
The community has a wide variety of articles, blogs, and forum discussions to enjoy and participate in. Many of the articles and blogs have even been written and submitted to the site by community members just like you. We have editors on staff that write and contribute to the site, but look to our community members to share their unique knowledge, experiences, and opinions.
Does the community have RSS Feeds?
Yes, our RSS Feeds and more information about RSS may be found here.
I can't find what I'm looking for. What should I do?
I posted a question or topic for discussion in the forums and no one has responded. Why not?
There are many reasons a question can go unanswered or a topic undiscussed. Some of these reasons may be how you asked the question or phrased the discussion topic, or maybe you didn't post enough information for anyone to go on. It's also possible you've asked a question or posted a discussion topic that's already been posted. As such, it's always important to search the site before you post.
Many people come to the community to get help or answers to technology questions, and while that's okay, it's important to remember that community forums are all about people helping people. Everyone here volunteers their time to answer questions, so there's no guarantee you'll be able to get the answers you seek. Communities function best when all members pitch in to help answer questions.
To maximize your changes of getting help or interacting with others:
- Search the site before posting.
- Be polite. Most online community experts find it rude when people "demand" help.
- Type legibly. You don't need essay level material, but you should put some effort into what you type.
- Obey the forum rules and posting guidelines.
- Follow up. If you do get a response or an answer, come back and follow up. Tell the community if it helped you or answered your question.
- Thank those who help you.
Can I send a message directly to another user?
Yes. Every member is given the option to enable private messaging in their community profile. This allows members to communicate via a private member inbox on the site.
Participating in private messaging is optional. If you disable private messaging in your community account, you will be unable to send or receive private messages.
What if I don't want to receive private messages (PMs) from other users?
You may turn off private and e-mail messaging by visiting your profile. Click on the "Notifications" tab and uncheck the box labeled "Private Messages". If private messaging is turned off you will not be able to send or receive private messages.
How do I reply to a private message (PM) that someone sent me?
When another member sends you a private message, a notification will be sent to your registered e-mail address. Click the link in the notification to be taken to the message, or click the envelope icon next to you're name in the upper right hand corner if you're already logged in and see the message indicator change to indicate you have a message.
The message system works like any other discussion area. Type your message in the reply box underneath the latest message and hit the Send button to send your reply.
Is my e-mail address safe if I use the private message system?
Yes. All private messaging happens within the site. You'll receive notifications about new messages in your e-mail box, but your e-mail address is never shown or displayed to anyone.
What is considered inappropriate behavior?
We regard the following actions among others as inappropriate behavior when using our site:
- Harassing, degrading or defaming another person
- Posting pornographic, violent or other inappropriate images or language
- Using racial slurs or other language intended to offend other users
- Infringing on a third party's copyright
- Creating more than one account
- Opening a new account after you have been previously terminated
- Publishing jibberish or the same content multiple times
How do I report inappropriate behavior?
If you feel as if someone has violated a community policy as stated above, click the report abuse link underneath their comment. If you do not see a report abuse link, use our Feedback Form. Specify 'Report Abuse' as the topic.
What happens if the policies are broken?
I've been banned unfairly, what do I do?
If you've been banned from the site and/or blocked entirely, and feel you did not break any rules, send us an e-mail at the address provided in the block message and we'll look into it.
The community web pages don't fit well in my browser. Am I doing something wrong?
This site is optimized for displays at a resolution of 1024x768 or greater. Try changing your display resolution to fix this problem.
What web browsers work best with this site?
Our web site is tested in a number of web browsers, however, for the best performance and access to the most features, please use Firefox 2.0 or greater, or Internet Explorer 7 or greater. Safari, Opera, and Google Chrome have known issues that we'll continue to resolve.
How do I report a bug on the site?
Use our feedback page to submit a bug, give us feedback on our site or anything else that is on your mind.
Can I make suggestions for functionality that I would like to see?
Yes. This site was built for the community. We made assumptions on the most important functionality for the site initially, but we fully expect the future functionality to be driven by the community.
What's the best way to give you my opinion or feedback on the site?
You can use the feedback page to submit your feedback on the community.