RSM and RS v2 Vs R-Pi hacks help needed

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
crazygeorge
crazygeorge's picture
RSM and RS v2 Vs R-Pi hacks help needed

Hi

Am hoping this forum is still active.   I have RS V2 and RSM ( and a few others ) to play with.  I have looked through the possible hacks on hereand am wandering if anyone has added a R-PI  ( rasberry Pi ) directly to iether robots,   Is this a better alround solution thatn the serial hack.   

or

As the serial hack is easy, is that the better option.  

Am thinking if i can link it with a R-PI that i can make it autonomus, and PC independant.

Also, is there anyway to do a serial or BT hack on the rs V2

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hey georgecrazy, I have not seen or heard of the RPI directly to the RSM or RSV2. A BT serial hack to the RSM might be the best way to go since the RPI might not squeeze inside the RSM. BT hack for RSV2 is a no go but you could splice into the IR lines to send commands and the RSV2 may have a bit more room to tuck it inside.

gerber
gerber's picture

Using a raspberry Pi to control the RSM is great idea. I have a Raspberry Pi myself. The good thing if you link to it via the Pi you should be able to make the RSM totally Autonomous.

Keep us posted how you get on as I would like to have a go of link this way myself

gerber
gerber's picture

triple post sorry.

I thing there might be a fault when posting on the forum

gerber
gerber's picture

double post sorry

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

georgecrazy, I know that Helibot, a cool member here has made programs that run on RSM that pick up i.r sensor data and also rgb data. check out his program http://www.robocommunity.com/download/18199/RSMedia-CopyBot/ and pm him he last was working on a jukebox and voice recognition but knows the rsm Linux version very well.
Also http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/18935/LifeAI-Demo-for-RS-Media... by Jeremiah might be a good route for Autonomy decision making AI.

Gerber is headed down the android path I know from chatting with him but has done quite a bit http://madrobots.wix.com/themadrobot#!rsmedia/c18xa

Vader has been MIA for a bit. Jamie he's taking flying lessons and just doesn't play with his rsm anymore haha.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

For RSV2 one guy I cant remember his name did splice into the head IR wires and sent IR data direct to the robot using some UIRT board. Using the RPI in the same way seems like the best way to go but wont get return data. there is one weird connector on the bottom main board but I wasn't very good at figuring out how to probe it for serial.

Redcoolxmaster
Redcoolxmaster's picture

Have You first tried life AI On RS media?
After that start doing your Rasberry Pi I don't mean pie Lol

I think you do need to connect it directly unless you find a new way but for now
just stick with the direct

Redcoolxmaster
Redcoolxmaster's picture

I meant raspberry

Redcoolxmaster
Redcoolxmaster's picture

I meant raspberry

dmatthewm
dmatthewm's picture

crazygeorge said: just stripped down my RSv2, my gosh the wirings in a bad way, am supprised it switched on. I will try do an easy to follow guide, so if other people buy these from ebay, they have clear instructions to follow. Am lookig at the board trying tofigure out were i might be able to interface to, or if i can read any of the sensors. i recon a R-Pi will nearly fit were the speaker goes

I bought 2 RSV2s from eBay 1st one worked for a min - looked at me and started to smoke! The 2nd, I am going to disassemble and replace wire - just to be sure... I have been thinking that the RSV2's brain could be transplanted with a new Arduino/Android combo; I've seen them on eBay for 50-90 dollars... I don't have any idea how yet, but it is something I want to look into in the future.... With examples from RSM's kernal, also NAO's AI, and other open source projects (LifeAI...) some really good AI and "learning", being aware of it's environment could be acheived... On the R-Pi I think the WiFi to serial is the way to go....

dmatthewm
dmatthewm's picture

Redcoolxmaster said: Have You first tried life AI On RS media? After that start doing your Rasberry Pi I don't mean pie Lol I think you do need to connect it directly unless you find a new way but for now just stick with the direct

I have just bought two RSMs from eBay and am very interested in using LifeAI... has anyone besides the creator done work with his AI on RSM yet? Either way, I will be doing this - but cannot give a time frame, I must learn much first...

dmatthewm
dmatthewm's picture

crazygeorge said: With the RSMs, honestly, add a pi as a backpack. Do the extra processing on there, check if you have a v1 or v2 rsm. Listen to this next bit...... Do not try and update them, its tricky and you can stuff them u V1s. When booting, just shows wowwee splash V2s show a loading bar as well as wowwee. Get yourself a pi with WiFi,bt, USB hub, and Mic input solution. And I will show you how to impliment what we have done so far. If your interested in programing the bot, it runs for linux, if you have used linux before, and have acsess to a linux computer, there is a bit of software on here that will dump the robots os on the sd card, you can then mount it on linux, and look through the scripts

OKay, thank you... first thing is to get a raspberri pi with wifi (or bt and/or serial)... I'll start looking... My 1st RSM is a V2, going to check out the 2nd this evening... I haven't looked into the Rasp pi yet; is it like an Android/Linux processor, or a smaller simpler Arduino??? I will do some homework... just got a 2nd hand 3d printer I have to figure out how to use as well, so a back pack is definately a possibility!... Thank you again...

dmatthewm
dmatthewm's picture

Have another question too, I currently do not have any 1GB sd cards, but have a lot of 2,4,8, and 16GB cards... can RS be tricked into seeing just a 1GB partition??? Should it be formatted as a FAT (16) with 64kb sectors or 32 or 16?? If nobody knows, I'll mess around with it... It would be nice to upgrade the memory to a larger size than 1GB, or at least use a card with a 1GB partition RS can read; use the rest for something else or just leave it hidden....

dmatthewm
dmatthewm's picture

gerber said: Using a raspberry Pi to control the RSM is great idea. I have a Raspberry Pi myself. The good thing if you link to it via the Pi you should be able to make the RSM totally Autonomous. Keep us posted how you get on as I would like to have a go of link this way myself

I have been looking at the Raspberri PI Bs at 512 Mb with arm processors, some with micro sd cards and wifi.. It seems these are like the innards of a tablet- a small PC... I'm assuming the higher the processor and memory, the better? I am very interested and going to do some more homework on which one to get. Plugging directly into RS Media's micro usb would be absolutely too easy! Have you already done the Rasp PI connection to your RS Media???

dmatthewm
dmatthewm's picture

crazygeorge said: Hi You want R-PI moddel B, £ 30 Bt module usb £ 1 ( local poundland ) usb WiFi £ 6 ( ebay ) USB 4 port hub £ 6 ( , ebay ). 5v 3a power supply or ...... 5v bob "Plugging directly into RS Media's micro usb would be absolutely too easy" Doable with the V2, V1s need the serial hack ( easy though ). The R=Pi will be usfull for all the robots you have. Its a good Dev base to start from. "Have you already done the Rasp PI connection to your RS Media???" Yes, http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/20308/newish-RSM-hacks/ thats were i keep the updates

Awesomeness! Thank you,  a parts list is exactly what I needed, and a link to the project! Have you tried to link the R Pi to the RS V2 as well? That's down the road, after the RSM, of course... Thank you again - I will visit often... off to ebay for parts!

dmatthewm
dmatthewm's picture

crazygeorge said: Hi You want R-PI moddel B, £ 30 Bt module usb £ 1 ( local poundland ) usb WiFi £ 6 ( ebay ) USB 4 port hub £ 6 ( , ebay ). 5v 3a power supply or ...... 5v bob "Plugging directly into RS Media's micro usb would be absolutely too easy" Doable with the V2, V1s need the serial hack ( easy though ). The R=Pi will be usfull for all the robots you have. Its a good Dev base to start from. "Have you already done the Rasp PI connection to your RS Media???" Yes, http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/20308/newish-RSM-hacks/ thats were i keep the updates

Wow!  Just went to the Raspberry Pi "newish-RSM-hacks" link and think I am going to get started! I have a long way to go...

dmatthewm
dmatthewm's picture

Alright, both RSMs are V2s I have ordered a Raspberry Pi 2.0 B 512 MB board, ordered a bt and wifi usb adapters, and going to get a 4 port hub or two... what operating system should I install in the RPi?? Does it matter? Raspbian, Debian Squeez.... there's quite a few... Just finished my C class and am going to use one of my laptops for a Linux OS... probably Ubuntu 12.04 64bit (or something else???) this will be my first Linux system install on cpu and RPi for that matter...going to look on forum for an AI Autonomous Macro from Youtube that I saw and look for Bender's personality... something to do while I wait for my upgrades to arrive...

dmatthewm
dmatthewm's picture

crazygeorge said: Hi Raspbian or wheezy, although should work on all dists for the PI. Your pi is built on linux, its slow at GUI but usable. There are a few things to set up on the PI first, serial console output, ports, but its all simple to follow, the Bot could do with the three wires attaching for serial acsess ( its easy ). before you plan anything with the bot, have a look at the scripts. You can do this from your PI or linux lappy using the software off here ( firmware dump ). whne you see the scripts you will see that lots can be done simply.

Roger that... I read up a bit more, and I think I'm going to pretty much mirror ehat you have (if any deviations I will surely post) I would very much like my RSMs to interact with each other and everyone in the house (including the cats - or at least follow them around..lol)...my second RSM I am thinking of going a little above the RPi; I've seen cubieboards and other dev boards with dual and quad core processors with 1+Ghz and 1-3 GB ddr memory... they run off Linux as well, hoping the core of the codes will work on those Arm processors with initially little or no tweaking and can be built on taking advantage of the extra power (more homework needed, and 1st project 1st...just an idea for now)... I will keep ya posted, again thank you.

dmatthewm
dmatthewm's picture

dmatthewm said:

crazygeorge said: Hi Raspbian or wheezy, although should work on all dists for the PI. Your pi is built on linux, its slow at GUI but usable. There are a few things to set up on the PI first, serial console output, ports, but its all simple to follow, the Bot could do with the three wires attaching for serial acsess ( its easy ). before you plan anything with the bot, have a look at the scripts. You can do this from your PI or linux lappy using the software off here ( firmware dump ). whne you see the scripts you will see that lots can be done simply.

Roger that... I read up a bit more, and I think I'm going to pretty much mirror ehat you have (if any deviations I will surely post) I would very much like my RSMs to interact with each other and everyone in the house (including the cats - or at least follow them around..lol)...my second RSM I am thinking of going a little above the RPi; I've seen cubieboards and other dev boards with dual and quad core processors with 1+Ghz and 1-3 GB ddr memory... they run off Linux as well, hoping the core of the codes will work on those Arm processors with initially little or no tweaking and can be built on taking advantage of the extra power (more homework needed, and 1st project 1st...just an idea for now)... I will keep ya posted, again thank you.

Got my 1st Rpi, and am getting aqainted with it... still waiting on some parts... progress will be slow, probably going to move over to the newish hacks thread from here... see you then, thanks!!!

dmatthewm
dmatthewm's picture

crazygeorge said: Hi, I will post up the full r-pi updateing code. Are you new to linux. ?

Yes, extremily new to Linux, my only exposure is from messing with my Androids over the years, but most of it is graphical, not command line. My only experience is DOS, Commodore64 BASIC, a Web design class, and just learned C (the real basics)... So any pointers would be extremely helpful for sure, I appreciate any pointers... Thanks for uploading the Rpi updating code...

dmatthewm
dmatthewm's picture

crazygeorge said: Ok, its easy and you will pick it up easy enough. I will wright up the full commands and tell you were to enter them on the pi. If you have a USB cam with Mic, or playstation,Nintendo USB Mic. You can do voice coms without a sound card. I tried Sony eyecam and Nintendo mice.

So a cam and mic, or usb mic... I might have something, if not, will go back on ebay... can RSM's mic and camera be tied into from the "serial" connection with the 3 wire connection to the Rpi and be used as camera and mic input, or is it too much hacking and just better to "plug and play" the usb cam/mic ... either way, I'll see what I have, I do have a wifi camera but not sure if it has a mic or not... I'll let you know.... Is the sound card for the Rpi usb??? Sorry for too many questions... and thank you...