CONNECTION

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
nomad
nomad's picture
CONNECTION

hi all does any body have pictures of the bluetooth chip solder on the circuitboard.

from rsm.thank you

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture
Hi Nomad

Hi Nomad
Check on Page 3 for the connection for this bluetooth
http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/18008/-RS-Media-Control-Statio...

Regards Curtainmaker

nomad
nomad's picture
hi curtainmaker.i finally got

hi curtainmaker.i finally got the bluetooth chip.thanks

nomad
nomad's picture
hi igot this one-- state

hi igot this one-- state

rxd

txd

gnd

vcc

key

bt-board v1.02           jy-mcu

Michael Walsh
Michael Walsh's picture
I ordered the same bluetooth

I ordered the same bluetooth chip. I'm not sure what VCC stands for? Is this the terminal we conect for the 3.3v power?

Thanks
Mike

nomad
nomad's picture
hi the 3.3 is the vcc and go

hi the 3.3 is the vcc and go's on number 1
thanks mike

nomad
nomad's picture
hi mike do you have the

hi mike do you have the conection bluetooth found.i did'n find mine,
and i need some help.if you got the time.thx

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture
VCC IS the power connection

VCC IS the power connection to the 3.3v #1 pad .

gerber
gerber's picture
Hi Nomad

Hi Nomad

On my website I have put some detailed instruction to add the serial hack for the bluetooth chip. The info is on the help page at www.themadrobot.talktalk.net

Note: I am still doing work on the my site and the notes for the serial hack but the info currently on my site will get you up and running with the serial hack.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Gerber

Visit  my website for more details www.themadrobot.talktalk.net

Michael Walsh
Michael Walsh's picture
Nomad still waiting for chip

Nomad still waiting for chip to arrive, by your pic we ordered the same one. I'll let you know my progress when it arrives.

Mike

nomad
nomad's picture
hello mike i have more pic if

hello mike i have more pic if you want.here's a tip.if you got the chip,
use the wire on the side from the 4 seperate ones,not the hole conecter.
when you solder it in and mist like me ,you can swiths easly the wires.

hello gerber thank you for the info.i get a lot help from freddy and guy's here.
i have the com port and the 115200 and pairing reddy so far.

nomad

Michael Walsh
Michael Walsh's picture
Nomad, Success the bluetooth

Nomad, Success the bluetooth works great with Gerbers software and the serial hack instructions on his website. I am using Win7 and I can't seem to connect via IP address it only works with COM port. I tried the terminal console instructions for it's creation, but it's written for XP and I can't even find the network setup in win7. Has anyone been successfull in win7? Anyway i'll keep trying thanks again Gerber and helbot for your help.

Mike

gerber
gerber's picture
Hi Mike 

Hi Mike 

Myself and FreddyA connect via IP connection in Windows 7. One question is your RSM on firmware V2. If not you will need to upgrade your RSM firmware to V2 as you can't connect via ip address on a RSM with firmware V1.Below is helibots instruction and the file you will need to upgrade your bot from firmware V1 to V2:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rsmediadevkit/files/RSM%20Firmware/UpgradeRSMV1toRSMV2_rev1.01.zip/download

If you have already done the upgrade and are still have problems connecting via IP address I will dig out the notes I made to setup the IP connection to the robot in windows 7. Let me know if you need this info and I will upload it to my website(You'll just have to give me a few days as I will need to tidy up the instruction before uploading them to my website)

Michael Walsh
Michael Walsh's picture
Gerber, Yes the robot is

Gerber, Yes the robot is version2. Yes I would love this information. But I was wondering is there a difference between the 2 connections COM port / IP are there any benifits to the ip connection?

Thanks again
Mike

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture
Howdy there Michael Walsh

Howdy there Michael Walsh long time member. If I may respond to your question to Gerber. Moving from the simple com port connection to a TCP/IP connection is like night and day. With an advanced connection allows to open multiple console windows. That in itself blows to dust a simple com port connection. Adding to that you can manage the files on the SD card in a drag and drop environment. To top it off, with an IP connection you can access the web server running on the robot for endless possibilities. Night and Day.

I see you were also sucked in to the RS Media human slave drive willingly among the first elite. Welcome to the Wireless RS Media Club. You don??t really choose to be a member, they choose for you.

Freddy

Michael Walsh
Michael Walsh's picture
Thanks for the reply FreddyA,

Thanks for the reply FreddyA, I didn't realise the benifits of the ip connection. I thought the bluetooth set up was great. I look forward to upgrading and exploring. I love this website everytime I try the hacks and mods it's like unboxing the RS for the first time. I will inform of my progress, thanks all.

Mike

gerber
gerber's picture
Hi Mike

Hi Mike

I have now put the instruction in the help page of my website http://www.themadrobot.talktalk.net/ under the title "Connecting to the RS media via IP address"

The instructions are complete but I need to reformat the page a bit as I haven't added the hyperlinks to helibots firmware upgrade instructions and there are a few weird characters on the page that look like question marks these are supposed to be quotation marks. will sort this out tomorrow of Friday.

Hope this info helps you. Let us know how you get on.

Michael Walsh
Michael Walsh's picture
No luck in fact I screwed

No luck in fact I screwed something up. Does not connect in ip mode and I followed all instructions. I must of made a boo-boo because now it won't connect via com pot, it seems to connect in comm port but no # # # appear and I have no control. I tried reflashing the robots firmwareV2 and still no luck. I reconfermed that is is v2 with the check version software and it comes up kernel unknown. Tried flashing kernel, comes up with wrong size? any suggestions would be appreciated. Is it possible to have V2 with a V1 kernel (the robot DOES have the usb net on its options menu.

mike

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture
Your boo-boo is trying to

Your boo-boo is trying to connect to simple com port when the rsupdateapp is starting an advanced ppp connection, it just plain does not work. To revert to connecting via simple com port, you must change your rsupdateapp so it does not try to connect via IP on boot up. Alternatively to get a IP connection going, you must create a properly configured modem, then a properly configured incoming connection which can be difficult to even find where this option is. Need help moving forward with an advanced connection on windows 7? PM me.

Freddy

gerber
gerber's picture
Hi MikeI did it with the

Hi Mike
I did it with the instruction I posted on my website last night. It is slightly akward to get going to start with but once setup is definitely worth the hassle.
Freddy was my mentor on this time of connection when I first set it up last year on my bot. 

You said " I must of made a boo-boo because now it won't connect via com pot, it seems to connect in comm port but no # # # appear and I have no control."
A couple of things to note. If you want to check the connection via the serial comport just remove the SD card. bring up the properties of the incoming connection and untick the comport as shown below

switch on the robot and open hyperterminal, teraterm(I tend to use hyperterminal)
final type in a command like LS and you should get a list of the files and directories on the robot, 

If this works you can then move back to trying to get the ip connection working again. To do this:

1)disconnect the connection to the robot in hyperterminal.
2)Put the SD card back in the robot
3)Switch on the robot  
4) Start a connection to the robot via serial com port

(After the robot has booted it should display strange chracters in hyperterminal then the word Client Client should appear after a while) this show the robot is trying to connect to the incoming connection on the computer.

5) disconnect the serial connection to the robot in hyperterminal

6) go to the properties of the incoming connection and tick the box as shown below

7)next click ok

You will now need to wait this can take some time the 1st time but it will eventually connect. You will now it has connected when the message "1 client  connected" appears next to the incomming connection

If you are still not getting a connection after 5minutes  you can edit the rsupdate file on the sd card and change the sleep 120 to sleep 20 as this will speed up the time between the robot attempting to connect to the pc. Note Sleep 120 means wait 120 seconds before attempting to connect again.

Hope this help.

Michael Walsh
Michael Walsh's picture
Success, up and running

Success, up and running through IP with Bluetooth special thanks to Gerber and FreddyA all the help. I can now sleep nights LOL.

Thanks
Mike

gerber
gerber's picture
Hi Mike

Hi Mike

Great stuff glad you got it working. Will add a trouble shooting section on the document for the windows 7 setup with the information from my last post.

attique
attique's picture
i think it is good effort so

i think it is good effort so nice

attique
attique's picture
Curtainmaker said: Hi Nomad

Curtainmaker said: Hi Nomad Check on Page 3 for the connection for this bluetooth http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/18008/-RS-Media-Control-Station-sof... Regards Curtainmaker

i think it is good effort so nice