a new era in Rovio Firmware Hacking and Enhancement

125 posts / 0 new
Last post
RoboaRovio
RoboaRovio's picture

vinnie said: @Chris75: sorry, somehow I had you confused with cowboyctx. However, the LED solution you suggested is what we need. http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/16721/turning-off-Rovio-s-lights-wi... I found this one when searching, but didn't realize there were two ways to do it. http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/14374/Stupid-URL-tricks-turn-off-th... I think we need a wiki... :-) RoboaRovio is on the right track.

Glad you agree vinnie.... membership is on a roll now so just register at Sourceforge and PM me your username. It maybe a good idea to limit our highest level admins to the members who need/use/contribute most plus those who get involved from the beginning?

Let me know your thoughts!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/rovio/

pittom
pittom's picture
I am making a offroad rovio

I am making a offroad rovio but when i enter (http://my ip/rev.cgi?Cmd=nav&action=18&drive=1&speed=10 it only inches forward and stops without me sending the stop command.How do i keep it moving till i send stop command?

roschler
roschler's picture
@pittorn,

@pittorn,

You need to send the command continuously to Rovio without interruption. Pseudo-code:

- Send command via socket
- When you receive the HTTP OK reply, send it again

Keep doing this as long as you want Rovio to keep moving. The instant you stop so does Rovio (normally, if something is not broken).

Note, it's best to do this on a background thread or if activity on your main thread gets heavy enough it will interfere with the ability to maintain smooth motion.

-- roschler

milw
milw's picture
RoboaRovio said:Glad you

RoboaRovio said:Glad you agree vinnie.... membership is on a roll now so just register at Sourceforge and PM me your username. It maybe a good idea to limit our highest level admins to the members who need/use/contribute most plus those who get involved from the beginning? Let me know your thoughts! https://sourceforge.net/projects/rovio/

I looked at the user levels, there can be code editors (contributors) who can upload files, and more restricted users who can only read or comment. Anyone else joining in?

RoboaRovio
RoboaRovio's picture
roschler said: @pittorn, You

roschler said: @pittorn, You need to send the command continuously to Rovio without interruption. Pseudo-code: - Send command via socket - When you receive the HTTP OK reply, send it again Keep doing this as long as you want Rovio to keep moving. The instant you stop so does Rovio (normally, if something is not broken). Note, it's best to do this on a background thread or if activity on your main thread gets heavy enough it will interfere with the ability to maintain smooth motion. -- roschler

I think we are all waiting with bated breath for Robodance 5 roschler but in the meantime any chance you could contribute some nuggets/get involved with our new open source project (time allowing of course) That goes for you too pittom.

Regards

RoboaRovio
RoboaRovio's picture

milw said:

RoboaRovio said:Glad you agree vinnie.... membership is on a roll now so just register at Sourceforge and PM me your username. It maybe a good idea to limit our highest level admins to the members who need/use/contribute most plus those who get involved from the beginning? Let me know your thoughts! https://sourceforge.net/projects/rovio/

I looked at the user levels, there can be code editors (contributors) who can upload files, and more restricted users who can only read or comment. Anyone else joining in?

We can also add new levels of user at any time too. Its looking very promising and I know its only been a couple of days but we really need a few more members so that we can kick start some specific areas of development. vinnie has volunteered to take care of Windows 7 (64bit) development and I'm interested in further interface development in the HTML resources and in particular the style sheet - to reiterate if you get involved early you can head up your own area of development within the project... so register and let me know your username so that we can create a coordinated approach to making this cool little social robot everything it could be for everyone involved.

Lastly has anyone come across any maintenance type threads such as cleaning, greasing, making replacement parts etc.... our Rovios won't last forever so it would be nice to have a spare parts department Cool

milw
milw's picture
Since I'm more into the

Since I'm more into the hardware and hacking rather than coding, I'd be happy to shepard the machine shop bits. Will keep eyes out for repair threads, there was at one time an issue with motor encoders for example. And the IR LED replacements.

Gandalf
Gandalf's picture
Hi,

Hi,

I have not touched my Rovio for a long time. Now it is time to make it fantastic as it is possible to hack the firmware finally.

I would be glad to join the Sourceforge to contribute. Please count me.

RoboaRovio
RoboaRovio's picture
Gandalf said: Hi, I have not

Gandalf said: Hi, I have not touched my Rovio for a long time. Now it is time to make it fantastic as it is possible to hack the firmware finally. I would be glad to join the Sourceforge to contribute. Please count me.

Warm welcome Gandalf its really starting to take shape with some great contributions from Chris75 and milw, can you please PM your sourceforge username and I will add you as an Admin

Gandalf
Gandalf's picture
RoboaRovio, i have sent u my

RoboaRovio, i have sent u my ID.

Could you tell me the start point to compile and build one's own image? I have read the thread but not very clear. I ever used ADS for some binary hack only but not knowing how to build a complete image.

RoboaRovio
RoboaRovio's picture
Gandalf said: RoboaRovio, i

Gandalf said: RoboaRovio, i have sent u my ID. Could you tell me the start point to compile and build one's own image? I have read the thread but not very clear. I ever used ADS for some binary hack only but not knowing how to build a complete image.

Try this link for ease but its now all on sourceforge under software

tobyb
tobyb's picture
Fantastic work ....

Fantastic work ....

Any progress on firmware hacks to

-- fix the wheel encoder reading ?
-- change the JPEG compression levels ?

T.

chris75
chris75's picture
Tobyb,

Tobyb,

still navigating through sources when i've time and recompiled FW a few times to debug stuff.
I don't know about these issues , if you describe the problems may be this is something fixable now.

FYI: Project has been created on sourceforge with code etc... http://sourceforge.net/projects/rovio/

Post things here if you wish.

Bye
Chris

RoboaRovio
RoboaRovio's picture
Great work by the way Chris

Great work by the way Chris Crack on

bluecoast
bluecoast's picture
Paranosh's firmware images

Paranosh's firmware images are gone now that Megaupload is dead... is there anywhere to get a newer firmware image? Should I try to compile my own?

Paranosh
Paranosh's picture
You can it's so easy, my

You can it's so easy, my rovio it.s not working actually and i can.t play whith it, if i have luck i will post (i hope so) in the next month/s a solution with the battery problems.

Regards.

vinnie
vinnie's picture
@paranosh

@paranosh

Would you be willing to share your firmware images with the Rovio Wiki project on Sourceforge?

I have two of them on my system, but not the first one the was the simplest.

(I moved to Win7 64 bit about 9 months ago, and I can't build rovio firmware anymore.)

Paranosh
Paranosh's picture
I must find it, but aren.t in

I must find it, but aren.t in my computer because like you my computer woks with a win64 bits, and all docs compiler etc...are in my wife computer's

David Feng
David Feng's picture
Dear vinnie,the schematic

Dear vinnie,the schematic site can not be accessed.....

David Feng
David Feng's picture
The schematic site can not be

The schematic site can not be accessed

RoboaRovio
RoboaRovio's picture
David Feng said: The

David Feng said: The schematic site can not be accessed

Try this link David.... http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/project/rovio/Documentation/KOI-MP802_M...

chris75
chris75's picture
I compiled an updated version

I compiled an updated version of FW with a small patch to rovio.js to send brightness values via i2c so image can be brighter.

I commited patch + uploaded firmware to sourceforge ie:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/rovio/
Not perfect (dirty hack) but may help in low light conditions.

Usual Rovio FW update procedure, works on My Rovio.
Update only if you are comfortable with Rovio FW update (eventually reset) procedure as i've not been able to test on someone else Rovio.

HTH
Chris

vinnie
vinnie's picture
Hi Chris,

Hi Chris,

I just now got back to checking this thread. I'm excited to see your changes. I see you've wrapped the update into an executable. I'm a little puzzled as I was expecting a binary firmware image. What gives?

Anyway, I wanted to send a thank you, since there were no other responses.

I'm going to try it soon, but all my Rovios are suffering from encoder burn out right now.

chris75
chris75's picture
Hi Vinnie,

Hi Vinnie,
you mean Rovio-chris75-503c.bin?
This is a firmware image, I'm using it on my Rovio though it is not a major improvement of the original FW , only a few lines to hack brigthness control.

Chris.

Pages