OUR NETWORK: TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 435777.0
July 7, 2011 07:43 AM

Categories: Rovio

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

hhspiny

This has troubled me for a long time and even after a replacement. wifi looses connection after a peroid time of inactivity, typically in a few hours. The only way to re-connect it is to restart it.  I have tried all possible suggestions I can find here and elsewhere, and nothing worked.

I decided that it has to be a hardware problem, most likely due to faulty wifi card. So I took it apart, find the model of wifi card, and bought one, replaced it. Now, the connection has been rocket solid for last week and I believe I finally solved the problem !!!

1. the wifi card is located in the head unit, right behind its camera. you only need to unscrew four screws on the back to get the cover off and you will see the wifi card. extremely easy

2. the wifi card is of a model MM200-M. I googled it and found it in www.pchub.com -- 802.11b/g PCI Express half-height mini card MM200-M. bought it for ~$10 including shipping, and it actually showed up in my doorstep in about a week shipped from singapor.

3. the wifi card is soldered to the circuit board on the opposite end of common pci slot. you will need to get your iron to get it off. which will take a bit of soldering skills but nothing special, just be careful and slow, remove one bit a time

4. finally, insert the new card in the pci slot, put solder the other end back. and you are all good to go.

I can't believe that Rovio used such low quality card that probably costs $5 to them in a toy sold for hundreds of dollars, and create such wide spread problem.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-15 of 17 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

July 7, 2011 4:23 PM updated: October 4, 2011 6:23 AM

Good job. Wonder if we could get a more expensive better quality card?

Rovio Commander IIRecord Video, Motion Detect, Sentry Paths and more. All features built in. http://www.robocommunity.com/download/15769/_New-Rovio-Commander-II/

October 3, 2011 2:31 PM

I'm not sure what's up with this "fix" but I've found that having more than one device connected at one time can be bad. Always close your browser when you don't need to use the rovio.

October 14, 2011 6:42 AM

You have just saved me loads of time and effort. I bought a faulty Rovio via eBay. Turns out it cannot access WiFi at all (no adhoc even after hardware reset). Got it apart and found the wifi card (figured it could be damaged antenna lead or card connections. Thought I'd search the model number and presto, found this post! So I've wasted no time ordering a replacement card from PChub. Looks simple enough to replace. Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to write this up.

January 13, 2012 3:12 PM

Is this solution still solid for you? My Rovio has been dropping out also with similar to sympthoms as yours originally exhibited. I'm not really sure what to do to troubleshoot. Not sure if it's a WiFi board issue, my router, or just my setup somehow. I'm running firmware 5.03. Any suggestions?

January 13, 2012 3:13 PM

Is this solution still solid for you?  My Rovio has been dropping out also with similar to symptoms as yours originally exhibited.  I'm not really sure what to do to troubleshoot.  Not sure if it's a WiFi board issue, my router, or just my setup somehow.  I'm running firmware 5.03.  Any suggestions?

January 16, 2012 12:14 PM

Just for everyone's info... the replacement WiFi boards the the OP linked to are super cheap right now and they have free shipping to the US. I ordered 2 and it was under $8 if I recall correctly.

February 28, 2012 2:28 PM updated: February 28, 2012 2:33 PM

Hi All
I have the same problem and ordered 2 wifi cards from the shoplink all OK.
Now i prepaired the new wifi mm200-m in my rovio and the Light goes orange and nothing more!
So I cant connect my rovio with all methods no chance,but when i Inserted the old wifi card rovio goes from Orange to Green and worked.
Can this be a Problem with the new mac adress that this modules have or are the 2 cards damaged?
Hopefully for your Answer Thanks Robert

February 28, 2012 10:09 PM

@snakerattle: try USB configuration after changing the card. MAC address does change so your WiFi router won't like Rovio until it is reconfigured.

February 29, 2012 12:45 AM

@vinnie: Yes i did so at first time but when only the orange light is on i cant connect with the rovio setup and also the adhoc it doesnt work!
The new moduls have the same number and all looks like the same as the original
it seems there is no difference.
I thought i have no luck with them.

March 17, 2012 8:22 AM

If you look at the item description at pchub.com you will realise that their MM200 wifi cards are used parts. I ordered 3 cards recently, one was faulty, wich gives you the solid orange light.
Anyway, the other two work well and solved the connection problems on two of my rovios.
So, to be on the safe side, buy some more cards (they are cheap!) - in the long run you will need them anyway.

March 27, 2012 2:07 AM

Wish I'd read all the posts as I ordered just one card from pchub.com and it was faulty -- I swapped my original and the pchub one in and out several times just to make sure it wasn't me.

Fortuitously, it seems like just the act of unsoldering and swapping the card in and out seems to have fixed my disconnect problem!

August 12, 2012 8:14 AM

Just ordered 3 of these. Will keep you posted once they've arrived to see if it cures my issues.

September 5, 2012 1:02 PM

Anyone tried dual radio card? does that trick work with other card than the one suggested?

Thank you very much for this information!

September 11, 2012 11:07 AM

Hi guys,

I really needed some help here with my rovio...

I have read this thread, http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/19172/Resurrecting-Rovio-A-Windows-...

and posted a reply too.

I have the following questions, hoping someone can kindly help me. Really appreciate it.

1) Will Rovio be able to work in Windows 7 x64bit system after I have successfully installed in Windows XP mode under Windows 7 x64bit system. I am using a PC rather than a laptop computer.

2) Or do I have continue run Rovio under Windows XP mode under Windows 7 x64bit system?

That's all for the moment.

Thank you.

Eddy

September 11, 2012 12:18 PM

gannboy said: Hi guys, I really needed some help here with my rovio... I have read this thread, http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/19172/Resurrecting-Rovio-A-Windows-... and posted a reply too. I have the following questions, hoping someone can kindly help me. Really appreciate it. 1) Will Rovio be able to work in Windows 7 x64bit system after I have successfully installed in Windows XP mode under Windows 7 x64bit system. I am using a PC rather than a laptop computer. 2) Or do I have continue run Rovio under Windows XP mode under Windows 7 x64bit system? That's all for the moment. Thank you. Eddy

I didn't got much luck setting up my rovio under Windows 7 64bit.... after installing the unsigned drivers in xp sp2 mode, my computer wouldn't boot anymore, had to do system restore to get rid of the drivers... I ended up powering an old pc I had lying around with windows xp to do the setup.

after that I was able to use my rovio on other non-xp computer, either trought the browser or RovioDirect software... Also using Roborealm but this one is a bit more complicated.

Roviodirect work really well for a free program, i'm using it on my windows 8 tablet and windows 7 x64 desktop

Good luck with the setup, its a shame they dont support this product anymore but once you pass the setup it should be easy to use on any system. If you dont have an XP computer, ask a firend or buy a 20$ laptop at a garage sale. I'm sure there is a way to install it on 7 x64 but I couldn't figure out and the post you refered to didn't worked for me. Make sure you create a restore point if you try it.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-15 of 17 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window