OUR NETWORK:TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 3033050.0
October 31, 2010 03:59 AM

Categories: Rovio Development

Rating (1 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

Chris Stavrou

Hi all,

this is my contribution to this community.

Its my first attempt to create a program for controlling Rovio and for sure needs lots of changes.

Please try it if you want and let me know of any comments you may have.

I will be updating based on your feedback and the ideas that i have in mind.

More information follows in respect to features and usage as of the current release:

• Release v.0.4
    - Added support for scheduled commands. Currently supports only sending a reboot command after a specified number of minutes of inactivity has passed.
  • Release v.0.3
    - Added brightness and contrast hacks which are accessible after pressing the B & C button.
  • Release v.0.2
    - Capture in avi format (Video only, no sound).
    - Play incoming sound from Rovio (Requires installation of the VLC)
    - Motion Detection with the possibility of sending email (local client or Rovio itself).
    - Possibility to save the setting in a different file.

• Release v.0.1
    This release does not require editing of the ini file so please use the setup form instead.

Features

- Full navigation in all directions using the UI or keystrokes.
The keystrokes related to each movement are indicated by the relevant tooltip that appears when hovering over the
buttons.

- Set the speed of the movement (including turning speed).
Using the mousewheel while moving/turning (either with keystrokes or mouse presses) adjusts the corresponding speed.

- Moving of camera head
Includes the 3 fixed positions plus the step by step movement.
Using just the mousewheel (no keystrokes or mouse button pressed) moves the camera head step by step.

- Push To Talk
Keeping press the Push to Talk button records any incoming sound (depends how your system is configured in terms of sound input)
and sends it to Rovio.

- Play incoming sound from Rovio
Requires the installation of VLC.
Note for Windows users:
Add   --dummy-quiet after the VLC Full path and file, to hide the DOS prompt that appears.
Example:
C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\VLC.exe --dummy-quiet

- Plays predefined sounds when:
> User selects a sound to play manually taken from a specific directory ([installation dir]/sounds/fixed)
> Based on specified events taken from a specific directory ([installation dir]/sounds/onevents). The assigment of sounds is done through the setup form.

- Control the next settings of the Rovio device:
Frame Rate
Resolution
Quality
Brightness
Contrast
Extended Brightness/Contrast/AGC/Min Frame Rate for low light conditions
Speaker Volume
Mic Volume
Turn on/Off IR Detector
Turn on/Off IR Light

- Set predefined commands to Rovio:
Set the Home Position
Go Home
Reset the Navigation State
Reboot Rovio

- Enable Motion Detection
If motion is detected, the action specified in setup will be executed.
It supports sending email with attachement the captured avi (with the local client) or
sending email from Rovio itself (attachement is a picture).

- Capture Video
Captures in avi format the web cam output (no sound).

- Camera output is resized based on the window size
Double clicking on the camera area will set the size of the camera area to 640x480

- UI customization in terms of icons
The icons shown can be customized as they are read from specific directories:
[installation dir]/images/indicators directory contains the icons for the indicators
[installation dir]/images/movement directory contains the icons for the movement/turning

Installation/Run Instructions:

- Extract the zip file to a specific directory (assuming [installation dir]). Remember when extracting to include all the directories included in the zip file.

- Run from the command prompt:
java -jar rovioautobot.jar  [ini file to use]
where
     [ini file to use]  is the ini file containing the setup parameters to be used. Leaving this blank will force the use of the [installation dir]/rovioautobot.ini.

Setup Instructions:                  

- After executing, the main user interface should appear, you may now click on the Setup Button to continue with the setup.
- The setup form will appear providing information on the options.
- The options can be saved on the currently loaded ini file or to a new ini file.

Notes:
- The use of the Old JPEG Decodec provides more FPS but as it is deprecated it might not work in all systems.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-15 of 19 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

October 31, 2010 10:53 PM

Getting access denied when I try to download.

Rovio Commander IIRecord Video, Motion Detect, Sentry Paths and more. All features built in. http://www.robocommunity.com/download/15769/_New-Rovio-Commander-II/

November 1, 2010 12:18 AM

Please use the link below to download until i clarify what is wrong with the link
within the download section of robocommunity

http://rapidshare.com/files/428243664/rovioautobot.zip

November 1, 2010 10:55 PM

Nice job Chris. Looks like you put a lot of time in to your project. I hope to see more.

Rovio Commander IIRecord Video, Motion Detect, Sentry Paths and more. All features built in. http://www.robocommunity.com/download/15769/_New-Rovio-Commander-II/

November 13, 2010 2:46 AM

Thanks for the comments and sorry for the delay but i had problems with my ISP.

I have uploaded a new version (0.1) which does not require any more the editing of the ini file but a setup form is provided for this purpose.

Also now supports playing sounds for different events.

I have added some sounds to be played by default so don't get surprised if you hear sound coming out of your rovio :)

December 27, 2010 6:33 AM

Great work, Chris!

This is the best controller I've tried so far and it's free. Thank you for sharing it.

The brightness is great and the lag is very small, but I've come up with a problem in audio: I can't hear anything at my computer (but the "push to talk" function works fine).

My firmware is 5.03 and I've tried different computers including WinXP and Win7.

Is there anything can be done to enable the sound?

December 27, 2010 1:06 PM

Really great Chris, Thanks!

Same deal with the audio, though; no incoming audio to the PC, but outgoing from Rovio works great! I'm running on XP Pro, SP3, Rovio has firmware 5.0.3...

January 5, 2011 8:44 AM

Thanks for the comments guys.

I am finally online and i will upload the newer version which supports receiving sound from Rovio (This is the reason of not being able to hear any incoming audio).

January 5, 2011 8:38 PM

It's great to see you are still updating the software!

Thank you.

January 10, 2011 5:55 PM updated: January 10, 2011 5:57 PM

Wow, for your first effort you did a fantastic job! It would be great if you could incorporate some of the low-light tweaks that you can find on this board so Rovio would be more usable in low-light conditions.

Push-to-talk works on the initial attempt (after starting your program) but on every subsequent attempt I get this error:
06:42:11.966 Recording Incoming Sound ...
06:42:11.994 Recording Incoming Sound - FAILED
06:42:11.998 line with format PCM_SIGNED 8000.0 Hz, 16 bit, mono, 2 bytes/frame, little-endian not supported.

I'm using Windows 7 x64 if that matters.

I just downloaded this program a few minutes ago so once I've had more time to play with it I'll post more feedback. Thank you!

January 16, 2011 2:48 AM

Hi Waynosan,
i have created the v.0.3 in which i have added the tweaks mentioned for low light conditions.
Give it a try and let me know if you can.

As for the error, can you pls check if you have the latest Java as it seems this is a known bug for 64-bit.

Just to make it clear, the first time, sound is recorded, send to Rovio and played by Rovio properly.
The second time the error appears.
Are the above correct ?

January 17, 2011 5:12 PM

Chris Stavrou said: Hi Waynosan, i have created the v.0.3 in which i have added the tweaks mentioned for low light conditions. Give it a try and let me know if you can. As for the error, can you pls check if you have the latest Java as it seems this is a known bug for 64-bit. Just to make it clear, the first time, sound is recorded, send to Rovio and played by Rovio properly. The second time the error appears. Are the above correct ?

Great, I look forwarding to trying it and will let you know how it works for me.

I'll double-check the Java version also and post it here later.  I think it's the latest thought because I just installed it recently.

Yes, your last statement is correct.

January 19, 2011 7:44 PM

I'm Still having the same issue when sending sound to Rovio... it works fine the first time and then it errors out every consecutive time. The low light controls work great. The middle head position icon requires multiple presses to get the head to move to that position... it acts like incremental head control.

I'm running Java version 6 Update 23 (build 1.6.0_23-b05), which is supposedly the latest.

I'll give it a shot on a different computer to see if the problem persists.

Not sure how easy this would be to implement but would it be possible to the program (instead of Rovio itself) monitor the battery and issue a "go home" command? My Rovio almost always dies before he gets home when he detects low battery. It would be awesome if the user could set this threshold in the program itself so it would independently monitor the battery's condition instead of relying on the ineffective algorithm in the firmware. Just a thought in case you're looking to add more features down the line.

Keep up the great work.

February 1, 2011 6:58 AM

Hi Chris,

There is something wrong when I'm trying to start receiving audio.

Here is the error message:

[0050374c] dummy interface: VLC media player - 1.1.6 The Luggage
[0050374c] dummy interface: Copyright © 1996-2011 the VideoLAN team
[0050374c] dummy interface:
Warning: if you can't access the GUI anymore, open a command-line window, go to
the directory where you installed VLC and run "vlc -I qt"

[0050374c] dummy interface: using the dummy interface module...
[004ec05c] live555 demux error: SETUP of'video/MP4V-ES' failed 461 Unsupported T
ransport
[004ec05c] live555 demux error: SETUP of'audio/L16' failed 461 Unsupported Trans
port
[004ec05c] live555 demux error: Nothing to play for rtsp://192.168.1.100/web
cam
[004bd22c] main input error: open of `rtsp://192.168.1.100/webcam' failed: (
null)
[004bd22c] main input error: Your input can't be opened
[004bd22c] main input error: VLC is unable to open the MRL 'rtsp://192.168.1.100/webcam'. Check the log for details.

Do you know how I can solve this problem?

Thanks a lot.

February 1, 2011 10:35 AM

Waynosan said:  ...Not sure how easy this would be to implement but would it be possible to the program (instead of Rovio itself) monitor the battery and issue a "go home" command? My Rovio almost always dies before he gets home when he detects low battery. It would be awesome if the user could set this threshold in the program itself so it would independently monitor the battery's condition instead of relying on the ineffective algorithm in the firmware...
What a brilliant idea!!!

February 3, 2011 7:30 AM

Hi Waynosan,
am working on the idea of sending rovio home from within the application and not depend on Rovio (should be ready in a weeks time)

Hi bnd77,
it seems VLC does not handle what Rovio is sending in terms of video/audio.

Try setting Rovio audio and video as follows:
http://[ip of rovio]/SetMediaFormat.cgi?Audio=1&Video=2
Let me know if this one helped.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-15 of 19 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window