"RS Media Control Station" software

258 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jamie
Jamie's picture

You will need to start USB2TCP and NOT start TeraTerm (as it will block VSPE from using it) and then set up a comport to connect to 127.0.0.1:222.

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi

Vader > Do you close the serial port when your software exits?

Yes the port is close when the software is closed.

Curtainermaker, From you screen dump you have set com3 as your virtual port. You could try setting up a differnent virtual comport number.

One other thing it is important do everything in the following order:

1) switch on and plug ther robot into the PC with the USB cable
2) Switch off the robots vision and hearing
3) setup the VPSE and start the part
4) Start the USB2TCP
5) Start teraterm and connect to the virtual comport you set up in VPSE

I am sure you are doing the above from your screen dump on a previous post but I just wanted to check.

Before you went in to my software did you manage to control the robot in teraterm with the command I mentioned

/usr/bin/robot/scripts/MotorRel.sh 03 13 8

This command should move the robots arm. Doing this will check that you can comunicate with the robot. If it doesn't there is a problem with the comunication between the robot and the PC.

It took me a while to get it working like this and I think I was on MSN with Freddya for a few nights who guided me through it step by step before I managed to connect to the robot.

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi Gerber

Yes I Tried that command before i opened your program but nothing happened to the robot, just tried to go to sleep after a couple of minutes.

as you see from the page dump ":PAGE 2" it says No such file or directory

Curtainmaker

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi

I will try setting up the same way as you(With the standard usb cable). I'm a bit rust as I haven't connected like this since last september. You will need to give me a few days to try it. I only have windows 7 so can't test it on windows Vista but it should work the same.

Gerber

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi Gerber

Have tried again and done what you have suggested. I did get the arm to move with the command you said. But in your suggestion i had to do the following

1- Switch on robot and plug it into the comouter

2- switch off the Vision and hearing

3- Start USB2TCP

4- Start Teraterm pro

then I get the # Showing.  If I do it in the order you suggested the all I get in the teraterm is a blank screen and when I push the / or enter, text scrolls up and it shuts down.

I have tried the VPSE and that comes up but it makes no difference to any commands.

Also the robot has to be in the bondycon1 mode too.

Attached is the screen dump after the arm moved.

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Curtainmaker

That's great news. Glad you got it working. I would defintely recomend doing the serial hack next, then the bluetooth mod. It's a lot easy to comunicate with the robot with these mods.

Gerber

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi helibot
I checked in the Options/ About to find out the version of my RS Media and it says: 09/05/2006b
Is this the version and is version 1 or 2.
I downloaded the RSMV2 Reload Files.
Unzipped then to the SD card and fired up the Bot. It started up as normal and didnt show the information on the screen as you have advised in the readme file.

I am trying to assume that the reason my bot wont work in Gerber Program is the it is still a V1 firmware.
What am i doing wrong.

Curtainmaker

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hello Curtainmaker,

You have the same version as I did before I upgraded (Firmware V1). You do not need to upgrade to gain access to the root filesystem as you already are with the USB console.

DO NOT attempt to upgrade to V2 with the reload files, as it will not do anything at all, it will not reload because you aren't on the V2 firmware. To Gerber:
You should've given him the link to this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/rsmediadevkit/files/RSM%20Firmware/Upgra...

So download http://sourceforge.net/projects/rsmediadevkit/files/RSM%20Firmware/Upgra... and do the serial hack. Don't attempt to upgrade with USB Console as you will have no luck :-) When you have done the hack, follow the instructions carefully and upgrade your bot. If you flash the wrong file, your robot will be bricked and you will need alot of help to unbrick it.

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi Jamie

Thanks, I have deleted it off my SD Card

Cheers Curtainmaker

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hello Curtainmaker,

I can give you help on the serial hack if you want to go ahead, you will need good soldering skills as the pads are quite small.

Let me know if you want to do the hack and upgrade your bot :)

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi Jamie
Thanks, Soldering skills arn't too bad, but i did download the site you sent me to. read up on it and it sounds quite intensive. Im not great on the programming thats why its easier for me to try and stick with the USB cable first before i try programming

Regards Curtainmaker

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

hello every1 :),
well i tried everything 2 work the remote it doesnt work, here is what happens:
1- i open the usb2tcp
2- i open the hw virtual serial port
3- i open teraterm then the hw virtual indicates connected
4- i open the remote nothing happens altough when i take the command on the go box in the remote and put it manually in teraterm and click enter it moves the robot exactly like it supposes

Gerber command /usr/bin/robot/scripts/MotorRel.sh 03 13 8 also moves the robot hands, so what i wanna say here is that everything works but not from the remote it must be directly 2 teraterm also i can make the teraterm receive every act i do on the remote but still doesnt work this way and also when i do that ( move anything from the remote and it goes automatically 2 teraterm )i cannot copy and paste any commant on tera term anymore, it only receives from the remote but doesnt move the robot as well

i know my words may be confusing but if they r plz ask any question and i'll answer but plz try 2 find a solution with me coz its been a long while 4 me try 2 work it and never succeed
ps : the comport r right other wise it wouldnt move the robot even in the manual way i said
the live robot action is on i even try go but still no respond unless i copy the command from go and past it on teraterm

plz help

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Curtainmaker

There is no need to do the firmware upgrade at the moment as Jamie says. Also before you are able to do the firmware upgrade you will need the serial hack. The robot will work as it stands with the current connection you have and the current version of the firmware. The serial hack will make communicating with the robot a lot simpler as you don't need to use VPSE and USB2TCP. Even with the serial hack added there is still not necessary to upgrade your firmware and as jamie said if you make a mistake on the firmware upgrade you could end up with an expensive paper wait. If you do deside to upgrade the firmware make use to read the instruction first. The firmware upgrade isn't complex but you do need to do everthing in a set order. I upgraded my firmware to V2 about a month ago.

I have added the serial hack to 2 of my robots now and intend to add the serial hack to the other 2 I have. As I said on a previous post I had never solder before I did the serial hack. If you do deside to add the serial hack I would practise soldering first before attempting to solder on the robots board. As Jamie said the pads are quite small and you do need stead hands but with a little practice it is quite easy to solder. The serial hack only involves 3 wires being solder to the media board in the robot, so you will need to disassmble the robot.

I know how frustrating it must be for you at the moment as I had exactly the same problems last september when I was trying to communicate with my robot the same way.

Try the files I have sent you and if you are still having trouble I will set up the communication to the robot the same way you have you're and see if I have the same problem.

Cheers
Gerber

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Donnie

I take it you are having the same problem as Curtainmaker and you are also using the standard usb connection not the serial hack?

I will set up my robot with the same connection as you Donnie and Curtainmaker and see if I have a problem

One question Donnie what windows version are you using?(Windows XP, Vista, 7)

Also to bothe Curtainmaker and Donnie what comport number are you using in VPSE?

You will need to giving me a few days to set up the communication with the robot with the standard USB cable as I haven't done it like this since last september but I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Gerber

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

hi Gerber

1st i wanna tnk u 4 doing all that effort 4 us :)

2nd i have 2 comp so i tried on xp and 7 but both same prob

i use hw virtual serial port( i tried vpse but still doesnt work ) and i tried com 1-2-3 and also another box written on port i use 222

ofcaurse take ur time and tnq very much Gerber :)

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi curtainmaker

Sorry I poster my last response before I read your post about your soldering skill. If you have solder before you will have no problem adding the serial hack. As I said on the previous post it is only a matter of solderin 3 wires to the media board in the robot. There is no programming needed to do the serial hack and the serial hack will work with you robot on firmware V1. To control the robot it is not necessary to upgrade it to firmware v2 so don't worry about upgrading your firmware just yet.

I only just upgraded one of my RSM's to V2 about a month ago and as you said it is quite intense but as long as you follow the instruction is not hard to do.

If you have the soldering skill I would definitely recommend doing the serial hack. (Below is a link to how to do it)

http://www.robocommunity.com/article/13016/Connecting-to-the-RS-Media-Li...

Below is the serial hack model I bought for this hack

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-TTL-UART-6PIN-Module-Serial-Converter-CP21...

Cheers
Gerber

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Donnie

No problems. I am glad to help. I will do the same setup on my computer at home. I am connecting to the robot in windows 7 home. Give me a few days and I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Gerber

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi gerber

Com port i have been using is Com 3 (This seems to be a default connection) and also i have tried com 4. Both the work in tera term in getting his arm to move in the script.
When i use com 3 that is the only com showing in your console program and when i change and setup for com 4 then i have an option of Com 3 or 4 in the console program, so this tells me that the console program is recognising a communication port, but it looks like there is a firewall stopping any communication.

Regards Curtainmaker

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi everyone.

Gerber has helped out heaps but I have tried with a new setup on my sd card and tried again. the following is the errors I get. 

Vader
Vader's picture

The USBWrite error (-22) is probably occurring because usb2tcp forgets to open the USB connection to the robot on a reconnect. An easy workaround is to make sure that you reopen usb2tcp each time you want to connect to RS Media.

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi Guys.
Thanks Vader will try that. Just a note to advise since all the great help everybody is trying to help us, I though I would try and and assist too.
I have got to the stage of where did I start and where am I heading too. I have tried all sorts of different things to make it work that I have become in such a muddle. Last night I decided to go back to the start and take Gerbers program readmes and doulble check all the setups in each program as if i had just loaded into my computer for the first time.
I have found and it would pay to check if you are having problems like me to check that the file names and addresses are correct.
In the Start_service_Vista.bat file, I found that the Tera term file name was different in my C:Program\ address.
I have since corrected this and now when I click on the Start_Service_Vista.Bat file it starts as well as the USB2tcp file.
Also opening the Tera Term File I have changed the Language and Baudrate and check for any other indescrepencies that need changing.
I now have a far more easier setup to open the uSB port to the robot, but I am still slowly moving forward from the start to the end of getting the robot to move in Gerbers Control Station.
I hope this will help someone else.

Curtainmaker

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi guys

Yes me again, I have tried the bot and it works perfectly in the Start_Service, but when I start the Console program , Nothing, I only have com 3 .

I have done a screen dump on USB View and this is what is showing. Does this help

Vader
Vader's picture

Opening Start_Service as-is is most likely the problem. Try just opening usb2tcp.exe by itself and then connect with gerber's software (if you're not doing this already). Also make sure a virtual serial port is set up. Other than that, I'm pretty much out of ideas.

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi Vader,
Thanks Yes i have tried with the usb2tcp by itself but it won't load unless I have either VSPE open or Tera Term going. I know that the com ports are working to the robot because Tera Term and usb2tcp will not open unless I connect up the robot and switched on. The same goes for VSPE and when I setup a new Connection and setup a TCPClient going it will show connecting ...OK
AND when i setup Com 4 on the VSPE I have the option of COm 3 or Com 4 on Gerbers Program, so there is a connection there going to the Robot, but there is a broken connection from the program to the robot for it not to respond to commands.
Yet in running the Start_Service I can type in the commands gerber advised and the robot moves exactly right.
That is where i am stuck

Regards curtainmaker

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi

Not good news so far. It took me nearly and hour to install the usb driver for ther robot in the divce manager under windows 7. It took me this long as windows 7 doesn't automatically detect the robot and I needed to go  and add it as a legecy device. (I now remember having that problem last time. Doh! Anyway I next installed VPSE to find out it won't work on my machine as I have windows 7 64bit and to use VPSE you need windows 7 32bit. (What a pain). However I did try with this the VPSE software anyway  and below are my screen shots.

I did try another piece of software called HW VSP(another virtual serial port emulator) but had the same trouble. Back last september when I did this setup I was on a windows 7 32bit machine and successufully managed connected, I do remember having the same sort of problem and can't rember How it was solved.

I have spent 2 nights trying to connect with the standard USB cable and am now stumped. Curtainmaker you have got further in you connection than I have this time using  the standard usb cable.

I don't know what is going wrong and or what I am doing wrong. 

Tonight I tested my software with the serial hacker, both wired and wireless and it works perfectly. I know my software should work with the standard USB cable as when I wrote 1st ever version of this software I didn't actually have the serial hack added to the robot and even though I have changed the software a lot since then the core communication with the robot has not changed and should still work.

Unfortunately until I am able to get the robot connected with the standard USB cable I can't solve the problem you are having. If someone else has a standard usb connection to the robot can they please check that they can connect to the robot in my software and see if they have any problems .

Curtainmaker I definitely recomend you do the serial hack and all your troubles will be over. I forgot how much of a pain it was to get the standard usb cable to communicate to the robot.

Cheers
Gerber 

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi again

Thought I would give you some brief notes about doing the serial hack.

1) You will need to open the robot and access the media board which is behind the neck under the shoulder plate. Below of is a picture of the media board

2) For the serial hack you will need to solder 3 wires to the pads Gnd, TX, RX

3) Next you need the USB-TLL model here is a link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-UART-TTL-Serial-Converter-w-Terminal-Strip-/170508460609?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item27b318a241

4) Connect the 3wires solder from the media board to the GND, TX, RX on the USB-TLL module

5) Connect the USB-TLL module to a usb port in your computer (Windows will ask for a driver you can download the driver from the link below)
http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

6) In your device manager there will be a new comport this is the one you will use to connect to the robot.

7) Finally open the RS media control station software and connect to the com port for the robot and you will have control of the robot.

Making the robot wireless via bluetooth
Making the robot wireless via bluetooth is easily done. Below are the steps

1) You will need to get the following bluetooth module

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220716503455&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT 

2) When you receive it the Baud speed is set to 9600 as default and will need to be set to 15200 so it will work with the RS media robot. to do this you will need the USB-TTL module to program it. connect the following pins from the Bluetooth to the USB-TTL:

Bluetooth module (GND) .... USB-TTL (GND)
Bluetooth module (TX)    .... USB-TTL (RX)
Bluetooth module (RX) .... USB-TTL (TX)
Bluetooth module (+5V) .... USB-TTL (3.3v) 

Connect the USB-TTL to your computer. Open Hyerterminal or teraterm and open the comport for the USB-TTL module with the following settings:

baud speed = 9600
data bits= 8
Parity=None
Stop bits=1
flow control=None 

next type in Hyperterminal AT and you should get the response OK 

Open notepad and type AT+BAUD8 copy this to hyperterminal then you will get the response OK15200. The Bluetooth baud speed is now set to 15200

3) You will need to solder 4 wire to the media board pads GND, TX, RX & 3V (The 3v pad will power the wireless bluetooth module)

4) Connect the 4wires solder to the media board to the GND, TX, RX, +5v on the bluetooth module

5) Power up the robot and pair the Bluetooth module with your PC. (The pairing code I used was 1234) 

6) In your device manager there will be a new comport this is the one you will use to connect to the robot.

7) Finally open the RS media control station software and connect to the com port for the robot and you will have control of the robot.

With both the above mods you will no longer need to use VPSE and USB2TCP as there is a perminent comport for the robot.

Hope this information helps

Cheers
Gerber

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi gerber

Keen to do the serial hack but i looks like I will have to get the USB from overseas as I cannot find anybody here in this country who stocks them.

I will keep persisting and try and get my bot working through the standard usb until i can get my hand on a usb module.

Curtainmaker

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

hi Gerber

i guess I'm exactly like Curtainmaker in everything so ill have 2 keep trying 2 hopefully 2 succeed 2 make the robot respond ..

Vader
Vader's picture

Curtainmaker said: Hi Vader, Thanks Yes i have tried with the usb2tcp by itself but it won't load unless I have either VSPE open or Tera Term going.

That's strange, it should work by itself as far as I can remember. I can't really test it for you though. Does the window just flash up and close?

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Here is a more detailed tutorial from the original maker of the serial hack: http://www.robocommunity.com/article/13016/Connecting-to-the-RS-Media-Li...

Curtainmaker, I am from Australia and you can get a prop plug from www.nollet.com.au You can contact the man and he will get you a prop plug in for a good price. He is very nice. Prop plugs are only a little more money and you will get a much better quality plug from Australia and it has a b-type mini usb connector. The pins are labeled and it doesn't need 5v to power it. Witht he BT dongle your batteries will go flat quit often (last 1 or 2 weeks casual use) and they will last near a month or a bit with a prop plug.

Hope you get everything working soon.

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

Pages