OUR NETWORK:TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 9673120.0
September 24, 2010 07:49 PM

Categories: WowWee Beta Firmware & Software

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

gerber

Hi all

I am new to the RS Media. Well when I say new, I mean my son and daughter have both had RS media’s for 3 year. Only now since my daughters robot stop working and I asked for help from this forum have I learnt so much about the robot. It is only now that I can seeing so much potential and possibility of the RS Media Robots.

I really have to thank the members of the forum for giving me so much help, time and advice in trouble shooting the Broken robot and learn about the program aspect of the RS Media. A quick thankyou to  Jamie, FreddyA, Helibot, Vader and anybody else who has given me advise so far. (Currently the broken robot is still dead but I am really hopeful that I can repair it. The broken robot has now been named Frankenstien Monster as I am sure he needs a bolt of lightning to get him working again)

Anyway back the reason for this thread. My background is software development and I have many software and hardware idea I am going to develop in the near future to do with the RS Media. Some of which are:

RS media Musical instrument
RS media Auto dancing machine
RS media live video streamer
RS media robot Wars battle game.
RS media charging and Auto homing station
(I have many more but these are the more sane ideas I have had)

To start with I am just getting to grip with Linux and the command for the robot itself. I have however started working on my first project which I have called the RS Media Control station. Basically at the moment it is just a remote control to operate the RS media from the PC in realtime. This software will evolve over time and be that base station for all me software projects for the RS media.

Below is a screenshot of the “RS Media Control Station” software so far

Currently the software is quite crude and very basic as you control the robot in realtime by moving the scrollbar on the screen(but then again it did only take me half an hour to write)

Currently the software will only make the robots perform the basic movement but I will be adding all the other functions of the robot to the control panel. As it stands the software works quite well even though it is basic.

I will be getting rid of the scrollbar and to move the robot you will only have to drag the body part of the robot on the screen. I want to  try and make the robot image 3d but as I have never written anything using 3d graphic I’ll have to do some research first.

Current Software issues
Problem 1)
I have to switch off the robots vision and hearing from the RS medias remote control before I can control the robot from the software. However from previous thread that @Helibot and @Vader have sent I should be able to do this from within my software.

Problem 2) The other issue and more annoy I am have is that after a minute or 2 the robot go into a sleep mode then after about 5 minutes it powers off. FreddyA has advised me to look at the AUTONOMYV1 download to overcome this issue.

The software is fully working as it stand currently, but before its worth uploading, I think I need to do a lot more work to improve its functions and make it more use friendly.  I do however promise I will be upload it for everybody to play with in the near future and I will keep you all up to date with my progress.

Oh yes, I have just received my serial hack in the post an will be install it on the media board next week

All the best
Gerber

Go to my website to download the latest version of the RS Media Control Station software www.TheMadRobot.talktalk.net

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 76-90 of 257 | Latest Comment | « Previous 14 5 6 7 8 918 Next »

March 1, 2011 5:59 AM

This is awesome mate! Keep it up!

The cure for this disease is lack of money. It doesn't stop the itch though.

March 1, 2011 6:13 AM updated: March 1, 2011 6:15 AM

Thanks idrum289.

Thing are moving a long really smoothly at the moment and I hope to have update on the progress of the software at the end of the week.

Go to my website to download the latest version of the RS Media Control Station software www.TheMadRobot.talktalk.net

March 1, 2011 8:52 PM

Hi Greber
This all looks Great, can't wait for the download. I have been playing with the current version at the moment, but I keep coming against the Rs Media falling asleep after a couple of minutes and also the control on the computer to move his head is behind the top tool bar and I cannot access it. Not a biggie but a pain, but i am sure you would be overcoming this in the next version.
I have tried keeping his foot sensor pushed in to keep him awake, but it is not satifactory

Regards Curtainmaker

March 2, 2011 3:40 AM updated: March 2, 2011 3:44 AM

Hi curtain maker

>I keep coming against the Rs Media falling asleep after a couple of minutes

Yes I find this a pain in the butt aswell. I press a stop button on the controller to re-awaken him. I am sure there must be a setting somewhere in the robot to stop the robot from going into sleep mode, but I havent found it. I do remember another member of the forum mentioning something about running a bodycon macro which loops for ever and stops the robot from going into sleep mode, I havent tried this myself but when I have a chance will have a play with it. What I do find is if I run the robot from batteries he goes into sleep mode after a few minutes then a few minutes later powers completely down, where as if I run the robot from Main he goes into sleep mode but never powers down.

>control on the computer to move his head is behind the top tool bar

This has been a bug in the since the 2nd release of the software and I only notice this problem when I installed the software on a laptop with a lower resolution. I have been wanting to solve the problem for a long time. I have now sorted this for the next release of the software and you wont loose any parts of the robot graphics and buttons. This took a few nights to sort out as there was a lot of modification to the source coding but was really important to get sorted before working on the multibot controls in the software.

March 2, 2011 3:44 AM

There is a command to stop the robot from sleeping, although I can't remember it of the top of my head...

March 2, 2011 3:48 AM updated: March 2, 2011 3:49 AM

Hi Vader

If you can find it that would great as it's a real pain having to press the stop button on the controller to keep the robot a wake. My fingers are getting warn out from having to press the button all the time.

Cheers
Gerber

March 2, 2011 7:34 PM

Thanks gerber and thanks Vader
I too hope that you remember as I have to do the same as gerber. I only run on power so this is a pain.
Looking forward to the next version tho

Curtainmaker

March 6, 2011 2:20 PM updated: March 6, 2011 5:37 PM

Hi 

And here is the latest developments on the software. I have now been able to make a sort of graphical robot plaground. Below is a sample screen shot:

I did this for two reasons  firstly to make it as easy as possible to control the robots and secondly what I thought over the last week is how could I make a true representative of robots positions in the real world in respect to where they are, so I came up with the idea of allowing the user to take a photo of there room where the real robot are then in the software add the robot and place them in the same position on the screen.(please note the picture above is not where my robot are in real life Smile)  to continue, what will happen then is when the robots move on the screen this will represent where they are in your room. if you notice on the screen shot as the robot move foreward then the graphic gets bigger and when they move backward they appear smaller.

Well that is were I am at the moment in the software. Things are still moving smoothly and I hope to have a further up date next week

March 6, 2011 3:36 PM updated: March 6, 2011 3:39 PM

Hi Gerber. Intresting concept for controlling multiple rsms also cool for people who dont have a bot to play with. Will the personality editor using tts and the "stage" area for multiple RSM bots be somehow linked to make creating multimedia animated scenes easy? Also, could you give us some update on your future plans for features such as file trasnfer, live video, I.M., RSM server for networking the robots together to share control or programs and anything else your mixing in that salad like java?

Good to know you have advanced so far and looking forward to the release.
Thanks for the update.

Freddy

March 6, 2011 5:15 PM updated: March 6, 2011 5:33 PM

Hi Freddy

Got lots of other things I am planning for the future of the software such as you mentioned the fire transfer, RSM MSN and lots more. I have listed a few below in the order I would like to work on them.

1)Multibot control - Which I am currently working on will be available in the next release of the software. I also hope to include the terminal console which will communicate with the robots as hyperterminal does, however as I am mainly concentrating all my efforts on multibot control and hope to have this ready for release by the end of march or april the terminal console may not be ready in time for this release but will definitely be available in the following release of the software.

Future releases of the software will hopefully have the following features

2)File transfer - You will be able to upload and download file to the robot.

3)Live video feed - I am looking to do live video feed from the robot.

Freddy said > Will the personality editor using tts and the "stage" area for multiple RSM bots be somehow linked to make creating multimedia animated scenes easy?

A simple answer to this is yes which is part of my next feature I hope to add to the software which will link the personality generator to the multi bot control I am currenly working on.Below is the idea.
4)Theater bot Time line macro scripting
With this I will have some sort of record button on the software so that when you do action or anything on any of the robot the actions are stored on a time line and can be played back in the same order. This will work similar to the one in the RS Media Editing suite but with few differences being you will be able to record the movements from multiple robots and adding speak and sound effects from the pesonality generator also being able to have dialog between multiple robots in different voices. The reason I am keen to add this feature is because one of my other hobbies is writing comedy theater script and I would love for my robots to be able to perform one of the plays I have written.

5)RSM MSN Live Messenger
ad after speaking with Freddy on MSN. The idea is to use the robots into a sort of live mesenger type systems for all RS medias on the net so other can take control of your robot also getting live video and you can get control of their robot.

I have loads of other ideas for things I intend to add to the software but the ones above are the main ones I am going to try and work on. As I have said from day one I don't know wether or not I will be able to acheive the goals of all my ideas for the RS media I have, but I will have a go, so eventually you will hopefully see most my ideas in the software I have as time goes on.

I have just downloaded the java program suite for the RSM. I haven't had a hugh play with it yet but I did manage to compile a basic JAVA program and it has opened my eyes to how many more  possible project that can be open with in my software. A few things I notice when having a quick read of the manual was that along with tracking red,blue green and humans you can also track black which I didn't know, also another this that I found interesting is that you can get the motor sensor position of the limbs which will be really useful to being able to ddisplay the correct robot positon in my software when the actual robot is manually moved. I have never really used Java before so will need to get to grips with it and do a lot of experiments to before try to make a piece of Java software I can use on the robot.

March 6, 2011 11:34 PM updated: March 6, 2011 11:35 PM

You can't stream a live video from RSM at 115.20KB/s. It's simply stupid as you will get 1 frame every 5secs or so. Like trying to watch a movie on dial-up :)

Check out my site http://computersnmore.dyndns.org/

March 7, 2011 2:30 AM updated: March 7, 2011 2:36 AM

Hi Jamie

And thank you for your words of encouragement (Hee hee). It may sound stupid to even try streaming live video at 115.20KB/s and that's why I am not going to actually stream live video in the sense of live stream I have alternate plans to be able to get a sort of live viedo streaming effect. I have to do some experimenting before I can even look at this project and need to write a module in my software for FTP first to see if what I have in mind will actually work.

I have said from day one I don't know whether or not my ideas will actually work, but until I try them out I will never know even if they do sound a bit radiculous sometime.

March 7, 2011 4:40 AM

gerber said: I have alternate plans to be able to get a sort of live viedo streaming effect. 

I would be quite interested to know how you plan to do this, as I've had no luck in this department.

gerber said: I have to do some experimenting before I can even look at this project and need to write a module in my software for FTP first to see if what I have in mind will actually work.

Note that both the serial hack and a V2 RSM is required for FTP over PPP

March 7, 2011 4:48 AM

Vader you are correct, video stream is slow and bad, and FTP transfer is not available to any un-upgraded customers in all other countries except USA I think.

Check out my site http://computersnmore.dyndns.org/

March 7, 2011 6:04 AM updated: March 7, 2011 6:09 AM

Hi Vader

I had a couple of posible solution to the way I was going to try and do video streaming(Please note these are only ideas and may not even work) Anyway below are the possible steps for both of my solution I have come up with:

Steps for Idea 1
================
1) start video recording file 1 on RSM for short time 5 seconds.

2) stop video recording file 1 on RSM

3) download video recording file 1 to PC.
start video recording file 2 on RSM

4) stop video recording file 2 on RSM

5) download video recording file 2 to PC.
start video recording file 3 on RSM
play video recording file 1

6) stop video recording file 2 on RSM

7) download video recording file 2 to PC.
start video recording file 3 on RSM
play video recording file 2 (note this is started up as soon as video 1 is finished)

8) keep on doing the process..........

Summary of Idea 1
=================
Basically I am record a short video on the RSM then buffering it on the pc and playing it when the next video file is received. I know there would be a time delay and this may not even work but I will have to do some experimenting.

Steps for Idea 2
================
1) Take a photo on the RSM
2) send photo to the pc and display
3) Take an photo on the RSM
4) send photo to the pc and display
5) keep doing this process.......

Summary of idea 2
=================
I think this will be too stuttery and also there will be no sound so I would prefer to acheive idea 1 if possible.

It is possible nether ideas will work very well or not work at all but it's worth a shot

All my 4 RSM's have the Serial hack and 1 of my RSM's is on V2 firmware and I am planning on upgrading all the others to V2 shortly.

Vader I was wondering if you can help. Even though I intend to do the ftp transfer over PPP I would like to have a play around with zmodem in vb.net first. I have only been able to find a bit of info on the internet about using zmodem in vb.net . I don't know if you have managed to do file transfer using zmodem in VB.net, if so do you have a sample bit of VB.net code for sending and receiving file using Zmodem. Any help you can give me with this will save me loads of time and save me further hair loss due to pulling most of my hair out trying to find sample code for the use of zmodem.

Cheers
Gerber

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 76-90 of 257 | Latest Comment | « Previous 14 5 6 7 8 918 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window