OUR NETWORK:TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 9675200.0
September 24, 2010 07:49 PM

Categories: WowWee Beta Firmware & Software

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

gerber

Hi all

I am new to the RS Media. Well when I say new, I mean my son and daughter have both had RS media’s for 3 year. Only now since my daughters robot stop working and I asked for help from this forum have I learnt so much about the robot. It is only now that I can seeing so much potential and possibility of the RS Media Robots.

I really have to thank the members of the forum for giving me so much help, time and advice in trouble shooting the Broken robot and learn about the program aspect of the RS Media. A quick thankyou to  Jamie, FreddyA, Helibot, Vader and anybody else who has given me advise so far. (Currently the broken robot is still dead but I am really hopeful that I can repair it. The broken robot has now been named Frankenstien Monster as I am sure he needs a bolt of lightning to get him working again)

Anyway back the reason for this thread. My background is software development and I have many software and hardware idea I am going to develop in the near future to do with the RS Media. Some of which are:

RS media Musical instrument
RS media Auto dancing machine
RS media live video streamer
RS media robot Wars battle game.
RS media charging and Auto homing station
(I have many more but these are the more sane ideas I have had)

To start with I am just getting to grip with Linux and the command for the robot itself. I have however started working on my first project which I have called the RS Media Control station. Basically at the moment it is just a remote control to operate the RS media from the PC in realtime. This software will evolve over time and be that base station for all me software projects for the RS media.

Below is a screenshot of the “RS Media Control Station” software so far

Currently the software is quite crude and very basic as you control the robot in realtime by moving the scrollbar on the screen(but then again it did only take me half an hour to write)

Currently the software will only make the robots perform the basic movement but I will be adding all the other functions of the robot to the control panel. As it stands the software works quite well even though it is basic.

I will be getting rid of the scrollbar and to move the robot you will only have to drag the body part of the robot on the screen. I want to  try and make the robot image 3d but as I have never written anything using 3d graphic I’ll have to do some research first.

Current Software issues
Problem 1)
I have to switch off the robots vision and hearing from the RS medias remote control before I can control the robot from the software. However from previous thread that @Helibot and @Vader have sent I should be able to do this from within my software.

Problem 2) The other issue and more annoy I am have is that after a minute or 2 the robot go into a sleep mode then after about 5 minutes it powers off. FreddyA has advised me to look at the AUTONOMYV1 download to overcome this issue.

The software is fully working as it stand currently, but before its worth uploading, I think I need to do a lot more work to improve its functions and make it more use friendly.  I do however promise I will be upload it for everybody to play with in the near future and I will keep you all up to date with my progress.

Oh yes, I have just received my serial hack in the post an will be install it on the media board next week

All the best
Gerber

Go to my website to download the latest version of the RS Media Control Station software www.TheMadRobot.talktalk.net

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 61-75 of 257 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 818 Next »

February 17, 2011 2:27 AM

Hi

If you add the serial hack and using the USB-TTL module to communicate with the robot, battery power is not a problem as you are only using the RX, TX, GND connection and no power is taken from the robot. For this mod the power comes from the PC to run the USB-TTL module.

As Jamie said if you decide to make the robot wireless with the Bluetooth module the Bluetooth module is taking power from the robot and your battery life will be less. I don't have the problem with this myself because I run my robots from a main adapter. A useful thing to know when running you robot from a mains adapter is that in the manul it states to use a mains adapter running 7.5v. The problem with is that you will only be able to control the upper body movement. If you change the voltage on the mains adapter to 6v you will have full body control of the robot (Freddya told me about this last September and I haven't used batteries since)

About 2 years ago I used to use batteries I found I had to change the batteries nearly every day which I found a pain and that is why I prefer running my robot via mains.

I am in the process of adding switch on my robot under the cover for the mini usb connecter so I can switch off the power to the Bluetooth module.

Cheers
Gareth

Go to my website to download the latest version of the RS Media Control Station software www.TheMadRobot.talktalk.net

February 17, 2011 2:41 AM

Hi Donnie / Curtainmaker

Sorry I can't be any more help with the Standard USB connect to the robot. I will see if I can get hold of a windows XP machine and I'll have a go of the standard connection on that.

Cheers
Gerber

February 17, 2011 1:55 PM

Hi Guys
Thanks Jamie i will look into that web address and get me 1. Question is now do I make it USB or bluetooth.
Thanks Gerber for trying and all your help, I will persist with the way Im going until I do the hack. I still feel we are just about there and are missing the final link somewhere.
I still feel the robot has cybertenitcally inherited my wifes Genes as she won't do as I command either. (whether I'm Bluetooth or Blue in the Face)
Regards
Curtainmaker

February 17, 2011 2:04 PM

Hi,

If you want BT, your batteries will drain quicker, making a bigger bill (2 lots of batteries every month!) And if you get wired it will still last the month or whatever it currently is.

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

Check out my site http://computersnmore.dyndns.org/

February 17, 2011 6:29 PM

Hi Guys........................

IT WORK, IT WORKS.

Thanks Gerber, Vader, Jamie and everybody else.

I have got it to work not once but twice.

Yeh Ha

Curtainmaker

February 17, 2011 6:41 PM

Hi guys, I have included Screen Dumps of the setting I had, I did turn off  the windows firewall first when I started trying things but I am now unsure if it was still off or it had switched itself back on when i had to refired up my laptop when things wouldn't load.

But VSPE was started and then USB2tcp then RS Media console,  This seems nothing new to anything else we have tried over the past weeks, but it now works..

February 18, 2011 1:31 AM

Hi Curtainmaker

Well done. It's a great feeling isn't it to get it working. I remember it being the same for me one minute it wasn't working and the next for no apparent reason is started working and I don't know what had changed. You will be able to pass the knowledge to Donnie who is having the same trouble as you were.

Are you going to do the serial hack now?

Curtainmaker> Question is now do I make it USB or bluetooth.

You will need a USB-TTL to set the baud speed bluetooth chip so I would start with the USB-TTL first then move on to the bluetooth mod. On my bot I have add both of them. I can't use them both at the same time but the reason I added both is so that if I need to connect with the USB-TTL some time in the future I can switch off the power to the blutooth module (with a switch I have installed on the robot) and connect the robot to the pc via the USB-TTL. I am just finishing reassembling the robot at the moment but will take picture and post them to show you what I have done which may help you if you do the serial hack.

I have started working on the next release of my software which will have multibot control and hopeful have live video feed from the robot. I don't know when it will be ready though but I will keep you posted with my progress.

Cheers
Gerber

February 18, 2011 2:47 AM

hello every1 :

well the weird thing i got it work a day ago 2 :)), and i was here now 2 let u know how and here i found Curtainmaker made it 2, good work everybody and Gerber i wanna tnq 4 remembering me telling Curtainmaker 2 pass me the information when he said he did it, i really like u ppl alot :) and tnx every1 who tried 2 help..

Gerber waiting 4 ur new programs and yes plz keep us posted with ur progress :)

tnx again every1 who tried 2 help just 2 help :)

February 18, 2011 2:53 AM

Hi Donnie

Glad you got it working. I recomend you do the serial hack now as the communication setup is a lot simplier. In that I mean no extra program need to run in the background.

Gerber

February 18, 2011 6:26 AM

hey Gerber

well i know ur right and it will make the connection lot easier like u said but right now its a little hard 2 buy it coz i already bought lot of stuff online so i must cool down 4 a while, but i think this gonna be the 1st thing ill buy next time.. :)

February 18, 2011 4:59 PM updated: February 18, 2011 5:03 PM

Hi Donnie & Curtainmaker

As promised I have started another thread showing photos of the serial hack I have add to one of other the bots I have. The mod took me roughly one and a half hours to complete. Below is the link to the thread.

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/18331/2-x-RS-media-with-serial-hack...

I will probably put detailed instructions of how I did this in the user manual for the next release of my software.

Cheers
Gerber

February 21, 2011 3:27 AM

Hi Guys

Congradulations on the Movement through Gerbers Program Donnie. I see that you have some bots with the hack done, aren't you lucky. hope it all goes well for you

Curtainmaker

February 21, 2011 3:39 AM updated: February 21, 2011 4:44 AM

Hi

On the weekend I added the serial hack with both wireless and wired to the other 3 remaining bots I have, which means I now have 4 completely wireless bots. I took loads of pictures while doing the mod so in the next release of my software I hope to have full instructions on how to the same mod as I have done. Hopefully this will be helpful if other people want add the same serial hack as me.

I am going to work on the multi bot control in my software this week. I'll give further news on my progress later in the week.

Cheers
Gerber

February 21, 2011 8:29 AM

Curtainmaker :

tnq so much 4 ur msg and gnograts 2 u as well :))

Gerber :

hope everything works exactly like u want :)

February 26, 2011 6:57 PM

Hi

This is just quick update to let you know the progress of where I am in writing the next release of RS Media Control Station software.

Since christmas I haven't done any work on the software due to having lots of other projects on the go, but after finally getting all 4 of my RSM's wireless last week I desided to add some new feactures to the software which are as follows:

1) Adding a terminal console along the lines of hyperterminal or teraterm which will run in a window with in the software.

2) Adding the fasility to control multiple bots. With this feature you will be able to give the bots nicknames which will make it easier to connect to them rather than having to remember the com port number. You will also be able to make the robots link together so they perform action at the same time, or with a delay, or reverse action of robots (example: if robot a lifts it left arm robot be lifts it right arm).

Below is a screenshot of what the software currently looks like at the moment. The software isn't finished yet and the layout of screen may change slighty from this. It will be alot more tidier that what you see below when I release it to the forum.

If all goes well I hope to have the software ready for release by the end of March to April.

The other thing I have found is a possible way to make a fully 3d graphic of the robot rather than the crapy graphic of the robot I am currently using in the software. I will need to play with this first before trying to add it to the software as I have never written software with proper 3d graphics before so this will all be new to me and I will have a hugh learning curve to overcome.

Anyway I will keep you posted with my progress on the software.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 61-75 of 257 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 818 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window