Lights are on, no movement

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Susan
Susan's picture
Lights are on, no movement

Two years ago we got what appears to be a Vs 1 Robosapien.  There were two robots--one really cool big one and a small one.  The big one is the problem.  it worked for a while, but the batteries died and the thing was put away until the receiver had a couple more years under his belt. He is turning 8 and i put new batteries in the remote as well as the feet and the only thing that work is the voice (says a lot of cool, annoying 8 year-old things) and lights come on the head and hands.  there is absolutely no movement.  I am told that it did move when it was new.  It is possible that it was played with and made to move without battery power (once the batteries died).

How do I get this to work now?  Is there a repair place for these things?  I think it would be a great toy to have now.  I am fairly adept with a screwdriver and repairs if there is some instruction what I am going to be doing.

Thanks

nomad
nomad's picture

hi,i think the v2 is 9 volt,if you give him a schok of 10 volts for 5 seconds.it possible,

he works again.always play the demo for 3 or 4 times in the week.thats for all toys,

with batteries.use batteries with very high amh,like 1.5 volt and 2600 amh for the brain.

you can also use a cleaning spray like contact clean and then let it dry,try again.

PaulCarew
PaulCarew's picture

I know that that this was originally posted quite a while ago, but now I find that I have a RS V1 with the same problem.

This was working a year or so ago. It sat with dead batteries for the last year. We have now put new batteries in.

When it powers up, the lights come one, the sound works, but there is no movement. Not even an attempt at moving.

The RS makes its usual wake up sounds but then 'says' uh-ooo...ouch.

My guess is that it is detecting a problem at power up.

How do I start to troubleshoot this?

I'm pretty good with a multi meter etc and I even have access to an oscilloscope. I can't find any hardware descriptions/references though so I don't know where to start with diagnosing the problem.

Any help,pointers or guesses would be welcomed.

Paul.

Shaun
Shaun's picture

Try replacing the motors in its joints. If you think that isn't the problem, do some robo-surgery by open up the front panel of your robot and examining the wires. Be sure not just to look at the ones that lead to the motors, but look at the others. I'm not a complete expert, but this might help.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth's picture

EXACT same issue? EXACT same circumstances... did anyone find an answer? He's apart and everything looks fine?

nomad
nomad's picture

this post is from 2010.disconnect all connectors and connect again.
you can use electronic cleaner.

PaulCarew
PaulCarew's picture

Well we never did get it to work. Now that you have jogged my memory again from last year, I'll have to see if I can have another go at repairing our V1.

>"this post is from 2010."
That's Ok, the info. is still good.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth's picture

So if a single connection is bad NONE of the joint motors work? Ooh that sucks. Makes troubleshooting difficult. Ok will try disconnecting all connectors. Thanks. Will let you know

nomad
nomad's picture

as long the brain AAA batteries dont power up the head ,nothing will work.
take out the batt before opening the robot

nomad
nomad's picture

v1 as in pic?

nomad
nomad's picture

v1 as in pic?

PaulCarew
PaulCarew's picture

Not sure about Elizabeth's V1, but our V1 is white with the Black accents at the joints and red eyes. It stands probably about 14 inches high/36cm ish

nomad
nomad's picture

normal color

Elizabeth
Elizabeth's picture

Same here. Black and white with red eyes.  Worked before stored.  Stored without batteries.  All connections disconnected/reconnected and clean. Everything internal looks fine.  Batteries brand new and tested good.  All battery connections clean and corrosive free.  Still not moving, but all sounds and lights working?

PaulCarew said: Not sure about Elizabeth's V1, but our V1 is white with the Black accents at the joints and red eyes. It stands probably about 14 inches high/36cm ish

nomad
nomad's picture

test if you have enough power on the circuitboard.

nomad
nomad's picture

you can also put frech batteries in.power on and let it on about 1 houre.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth's picture

Im not sure if I know how to test if enough power is getting to circuit board :( Im a bit of a novice.

Leaving it on for an hour will do what?

And thank you all so much for trying to help. My son was so upset when it no longer worked

nomad
nomad's picture

play whit the remote see if he react to some buttons.
leave it on for longer time will the wire gets more flexible.
power goes better thru then.

PaulCarew
PaulCarew's picture

When I was trying to diagnose our V1 last year, I did come across this site: http://markcra.com/blog/?page_id=52

This person has partially generated / reverse engineered the circuit diagrams.

When I get an opportunity I will take another look at our V1 again, but it won't be this weekend.

Paul.

PaulCarew
PaulCarew's picture

I'll have to take another look. When I did have it opened up last year, I didn't notice any wiring or shielding issues.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, at least it's another avenue to look into.

Paul.

PaulCarew
PaulCarew's picture

Ok, youve intrigued me. I'm going to take another look, but it can't happen for a couple of weeks.

I'll post back with what I find
Thinks
Paul.

PaulCarew
PaulCarew's picture

Hello 'crazygeorge' and others,
Well it took me more than a couple of weeks to find the time to disassemble the RSV1 that we have, but I have that done now.

As these photos show ( https://www.dropbox.com/sc/tt9rrd8itb0igwq/fPeQBgZ0Ar ), the wiring looks like it is in pretty good condition. I don't see any of the insulation breakdown that has been reported.

I'm still at a loss as to the root cause of the RSV1 startup problem.
Paul.

nomad
nomad's picture

hi v1 has no wire problem only the v2.
put some batteries in and see if you have power to the boards and head.

nomad
nomad's picture

hey crazygeorge .v1 uses d-cells
good idea to test the remote whit camera .i try it and it works.

nomad
nomad's picture

no d-cells two each foot.

nomad
nomad's picture

4 x1.5=6 volt.check also the little brown things on the motors.

nomad
nomad's picture

4 x1.5=6 volt.check also the little brown things on the motors.

PaulCarew
PaulCarew's picture

I've fixed it! Well this has been a long saga, but I finally have the RSV1 fixed. It was irratating me that I couldn't get to the bottom of this, so I had a renewed effort this summer. To cut a long story short, it was the motor driver chip (MD3770G - U3 on the circuit board). I managed to obtain a datasheet for this chip and with the help of an oscilloscope, I could see that it was dead. Replacement chips are available (I have a number of spares now) and today I replaced the chip on the board.Short video of it coming back to life....https://www.dropbox.com/s/elz9eundobrajsr/2015-09-29%2023.53.53.mp4?dl=0Paul. 

PaulCarew
PaulCarew's picture

It was the motor driver chip in my RSV1 I have a spare if you still want to repair your RSV1Paul

woowoorobotic 12
woowoorobotic 12's picture

My robosapien v1 has the same problem as well, may I ask where you buy the motor from and what model is it?