OUR NETWORK:TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 640727.0
August 17, 2010 04:23 AM

Categories: General Robotics

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

Shai Alyt NEMO

Although he is not a WowWee creation, I think he deserve a personal thread on our community. Here I will post some my experience with this nice doggie.

I just bought him a few weeks ago at Second Hand for circa $10 equivalent. Of course, there was corroded batteries inside Yell. Also, his fur was somehow unpleasantly greasy. So I had no other way then to dismantle him, wash the fur and clean the battery compartment.

Now he's alive, albeit still not fully reassembled.

So, let's begin from inside.

I hope it will be interesting for somebody as I well remember my urge to see someting like that a year and half ago when I had got a white Furreal Friends Kitty Cat Wink.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-2 of 2 | Latest Comment

August 17, 2010 6:22 AM updated: August 17, 2010 6:25 AM

So, what we have here. Two motors (one for body and one- for head movements) with complicated Furby-style cams systems (not surprisingly, it's a Tiger's creation after all). Four touch sensors - left cheek, right cheek, mouth and back - again, Furby-like simple mechanical switches not a capacitive ones like in WowWee's Alive Cubs. The microphone and the speaker. That's all.

But  altogether with an onboard controller and software it makes a quite entertaining robotic pet. Definitely more active then his feline counterpart - Furreal Friends Kitty Cat (Don't be jealous, Lady Myobu (http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/12851/FurReal-Cat/?highlight=furrea... , I still love you!  Wink ).

Here is a list of Scamps' features (according to manual):

1. Moving (opening/closing) eyes.
2. Moving (opening/closing) mouth.
3. Moving ears
4. Moving head (slightly turning left/right)
5. Moving neck (up/down)
6. Motorized front legs for "Lay Down/Sit/Give me a paw" positions
7. Moving tail (slightly left/right)
8. Two touch sensors (buttons) on left/right cheeks ("scratch the ears")
9. Touch sensor (button) in mouth ("feed")
10.Touch sensor (button) at the back ("pet")
11.Handclap/Whistle (selected by switch) activation from "sleeping" state
12.Simple voice command recognition (accuracy is average, similar to '2005 "2nd Generation" Furbys):
Ready right from power-up commands:
1."Sit"
2."Down"
3."Speak"
4."Good Dog"
5."Wanna Treat?"
6."Hey, Puppy!"
7."Drop It!"

Commands to "Learn" (executed correctly after a three repetitions)
8."Gimme a Paw"
9."Shake"
10."Howl"
11."Sit Up and Beg"
12."Let's Count" ("Count One" - one bark, "Count Two" - two barks, "Count Three" - three barks)
13."Adding Game" (Say "One" then "Plus One", "Pus Two" or "Plus Three" - counting up to 255 barks).

August 19, 2010 9:40 PM

Scamps is definitely one of the best robots you can get for the price. It had a LOAD of features and even tops Furby to some extent. Furby was a success over this one due to it being the first interactive robot pet. That and it was filled with tons of silly gibberish and tricks you could mess around with for days on end. It caught on and the rest is history.

Scamps inspired the Furreal Biscuit Dog. Which is a larger and more advanced robotic version of it. I have one. But I'd like to get a junked one to dismantle it. If this one was interesting to see inside, wait till you take a look under that one!

Since robots will one day populate every aspect of your life, its a good idea to make friends with all of them. Otherwise your shower bot might decide to play around with the water temperature while you are showering...

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-2 of 2 | Latest Comment

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window