OUR NETWORK: TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 3693890.0
July 9, 2010 12:08 PM
Rating (2 votes)
Rate This!

Pending Member Avatar

TikaC

Pending Member

I know this has nothing to do with robots but it does have to do with WowWee. I saw the Paper Jamz guitars and amps at the local Walgreens. I know I said I'd never buy one. But yeah, I did. LOL! For around $63 and change (inlcuding tax) I got a 24-Pack of AAA batteries (Walgreens sells the AA with the Paper Jamz and I told them the units take AAA cells instead). So that was like $13 there. I got a guitar, amp and a guitar strap.

At first play, is does sound impressive. You can play it freestyle just as a guitar but you can't form chords on it like you would a real guitar, you just press the frets for it, it seems. And no single-string notes so you can't whip up a solo. LOL! But this is going to be one interesting review. It really is pretty cool and makes a nice (if expensive) decoration if you're not using it. :)

The "paper" is laminated cardboard but it seems as sturdy as the plastic that is with it. The guitar is more plastic than cardboard (the cardboard is on the front). The amp is mostly cardboard.

[Video Removed]

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 31-45 of 90 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

July 13, 2010 9:00 PM

Firmware dump might be nice, wouldn't that tell us what was in the blob? Bet that's how they get the songs in it... one board, many different models. What i was wondering was where to grab some kind of output to send to something like an Arduino (like a nano) and get it to work as a MIDI interface. Don't sell the drums short yet... the guitar can apperently tell which way you are strumming, so some kind of loudness might be possible on the drums? I like the idea of a tap interface drum pad MIDI controller. ( i know Korg has one but i like this layout better).

GWJax said:
Rudolph said: SCL and SDA imply an I2C bus. Wonder what snazzy things might be found in there? Cool I'm also really curious about the drum pad sensors. Are they just piezos?
AHHH Yes you know what these are :) both of the units have an I²C bus.. Yes I too wounder what we can do with these, like adding new music for one or even dumping the firmware. The drum pads are the same in all units. Capasitive Touch Sensor in a matrix like how your keyboard is attached. I wish they were piezos because we could then make noise out of pads.. Jax

July 13, 2010 9:03 PM

what is the 8 pin chip i see on the board?

July 14, 2010 8:10 AM

Mighty Mik said: what is the 8 pin chip i see on the board?
Mik, the 8 pin chip you see on the drum set is a MTC19115. I'm not sure what this is right now and no datasheets are coming up on the web but I will continue to search for it.

Jax

GWJax, To Hack and make mods on robots is a life style and comes natural and not by choice. If a robot has a screw to open it then it must be opened!

July 14, 2010 8:19 AM

Aztekious said: This looks awesome, Aside from getting one for my son, I think im gonna have to pick one up myself! Anyone know if there available in Canada yet? I called Walmart, Sears, Zellers etc and they dont have a clue what im talking about, So im guessing not yet? even looked on E-bay but they are selling for $50 + shipping : /

Keep an eye out on this site. They have a ton of info about the PaperJamz and what stores have them. As for Canada they are coming soon. Hope this helps..

A big ouch when it comes to e-bay at $50 + shipping. I would wait to get one at these prices when you know that you can get them for $25 in the stores.

Jax

GWJax, To Hack and make mods on robots is a life style and comes natural and not by choice. If a robot has a screw to open it then it must be opened!

July 14, 2010 8:29 AM

@Aztekious,

Try to buy one from Walgreens and see if you can have it shipped to Canada. The Online store will have them on the 15th but you can pre-order them and have it shipped to you. Go here to order: http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?No=0&Ntt=paperjamz

Jax

July 14, 2010 5:26 PM

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

July 14, 2010 8:48 PM

OK. I've worked in surgery all my life and I'm now 42, but I am totally addicted to this guitar and will even carjack someone for the elusive drum kits.

What an awesome concept.

-DOC

July 14, 2010 9:01 PM

elixircell said: OK. I've worked in surgery all my life and I'm now 42, but I am totally addicted to this guitar and will even carjack someone for the elusive drum kits. What an awesome concept. -DOC

LMAO.... Carjacking someone for the drum kit and being a doctor as well.. Too funny Doc. and Welcome to our community. Hope you find everything you need here.  We too do surgery on the forums but it's on robots and we use screwdrivers and soldering irons along with part doners from old dead electronics to make them alive again :)

Jax

July 14, 2010 9:01 PM updated: July 14, 2010 9:15 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, Jax!

I am currently modding the amp. I've put in real knobs I found (stole) off of old devices in my garage, old radios work great, and am looking for a suitable metal mesh screen for the front. Then, perhaps a few leds on the front for show (I might even look for the ones that light up with the sound) and an even better speaker, with its own power to REALLY jam. Maybe some wires coming out the back and then going back in, something like that. First, I plan to clearcoat the amps box to give it a more realistic look, though.

I also want to make the guitar into a real-looking one by adding some authentic depth by placing wood around the sides and giving it a new back (that part of the mod may go to a professional guitar maker, I'm thinking).

Sweeeet...!

-DOC

July 14, 2010 9:11 PM

DOC Please post some pics of your mod or start a new thread about it so others can follow your progress and even make the mods themselves. It sound really cool what your doing with the amp keep it up..

Jax

July 14, 2010 9:19 PM

Thanks... Will do as I get the time...!

-DOC

July 15, 2010 3:46 AM

Oh, and everyone's disappointment with the drum kit is unwarranted. If the pads require a humans slight electrical charge and won't work with drumsticks... then I'll simply put a few small watch batteries into the drumsticks and wire them to the tips to get the effect I want.

-DOC

View unverified member's comment - posted by TikaC

July 17, 2010 1:05 AM

elixircell said: Oh, and everyone's disappointment with the drum kit is unwarranted. If the pads require a humans slight electrical charge and won't work with drumsticks... then I'll simply put a few small watch batteries into the drumsticks and wire them to the tips to get the effect I want. -DOC

I forgot my best mod, in a sleep-deprivation manner, but give me your feedback on this one everyone...;  I want to put actual strings on it, taut string (likely different gauges of fishing wire) that will probably have to lay directly on the Paper Jamz strum area, and out to the neck for a more impressive 'feel' when you play it.

I'm also trying to find a good Fender logo to place over the near-copyright infringement WowWee logo for additional authenticity, but may just end up downloading a gif or jpeg of a Fender image to just overlap the WowWee image with it, paste it on some heavy paper and glue it over.

I'll try to send images soon.  Oh, and mine didn't come with the painted on duct tape, so I just added some real duct tape of my own which makes it look like a really worn out amp...!

Kudos, for the idea...!

As soon as I get my new webcam up and working, I'll get some shots of everything over for everyone. to check out.

I ditched the idea of making the guitar larger as I like the flat guitar better, especially for its novel idea that makes it what it is.

Updates soon...

-DOC

July 17, 2010 8:56 AM

Doc the only problem that I see with putting fishing line on the guitar is that it might get in the way of you touching the pads.. Yet I like the idea of it. I have been doing some testing with adding an electrical input on the touch pads with out making any connections to the board and nothing I'm doing will trigger the pads except when I place a 9v battery case on the pads this does cause the pads to strike the cords.. Magnets as well do not work. I know if I attach a ground wire to the board then this does work with batteries but more testing needs to be done.

Jax

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 31-45 of 90 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window