OUR NETWORK:TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 4774620.0
June 16, 2010 12:32 PM

Categories: News, Rumors and Gossip

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

NanoTek

For those of you who enjoy technical threads, well, this is as technical as it gets.

And I am not joking either:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-06/15/how-to-survive-a-solar-storm

"And there are those people who are catfish in life; and they keep you on your toes. They keep you guessing. They keep you thinking. They keep you fresh."- from the movie Catfish (2010)

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-12 of 12 | Latest Comment

June 16, 2010 4:25 PM

"be sure that you've got a camera -- not a digital one, obviously" ROFL

To bad the world's going to end in 2012 anyway. Nobody will be around to see this 2013 stuff.

Watch out, don't step in the anthropomorphization.

June 16, 2010 4:40 PM

Rudolph said: To bad the world's going to end in 2012 anyway. Nobody will be around to see this 2013 stuff.
Wanna bet?

"And there are those people who are catfish in life; and they keep you on your toes. They keep you guessing. They keep you thinking. They keep you fresh."- from the movie Catfish (2010)

June 16, 2010 5:12 PM

NanoTek said:
Rudolph said: To bad the world's going to end in 2012 anyway. Nobody will be around to see this 2013 stuff.
Wanna bet?

All I know is that December 21, 2012 will mark 16 years since I got married. What better time for the world to take a dump? :)

Watch out, don't step in the anthropomorphization.

June 16, 2010 5:22 PM updated: June 16, 2010 5:32 PM

Rudolph said: All I know is that December 21, 2012 will mark 16 years since I got married. What better time for the world to take a dump? :)

Hehehehee

For you the end of the world came to pass 14 years ago.

I sure hope your marriage won't lose its spark through solar flares in 2013. Get another cage -- a Faraday cage.

"Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel."
Leonardo da Vinci

June 17, 2010 1:45 AM

Rudolph said: "be sure that you've got a camera -- not a digital one, obviously" ROFL To bad the world's going to end in 2012 anyway. Nobody will be around to see this 2013 stuff.

Ahhh... but the article said:

"The match-up between the two cycles isn't guaranteed every 22 years, because the 11-year solar cycle is only an average, and sometimes lasts 9, or sometimes lasts 13 years."

So 12-21-12 could be the date the EMF hits the fan....

Derek Tombrello
www.RobotsAndComputers.com

June 17, 2010 12:20 PM

Come on guys, let's face it, one way or another all your electronic robots will be as good as useless decorations. The true robot takeover/armageddon will actually be undergone by the robots themselves. A solar storm will be triggered by human technology: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFWDPAEcp20) />
Better stock up on wind-up robots...

June 17, 2010 4:28 PM

The last huge solar storm happened in the late 1800's, it blew up telegraphs all over the world. If we got hit like that it would take out all the power transformers to say anything of the satellites in space. If it happens we could all be little more then primitive cavemen!

June 17, 2010 6:29 PM

Robostuff said: The last huge solar storm happened in the late 1800's, it blew up telegraphs all over the world. If we got hit like that it would take out all the power transformers to say anything of the satellites in space. If it happens we could all be little more then primitive cavemen!

Oh no, not the cave!

We could build a humongous Faraday cage around the earth to protect us. Laughing
But that would prevent the incapacitation of robots through a geomagnetic storm. Back to square one with a possible robot takeover on earth. Which would undoubtedly result in human slavery.

See your options : the cage, the cave, or the slave? LOL

Oh, and this option if you refuse slavery

View unverified member's comment - posted by TikaC

August 1, 2010 2:13 AM

TikaC said: Meh. I think it'll be as "catastrophic" as all the other so-called doomsday stuff. Like Y2K. Last solar storm we had was supposed to be a few years maybe a decade or so ago? Where I live, nothing happened. If it were going to be that serious, and as the article said, NASA was warning about it for some time now, I'm sure electronics makers and others would be already scrambling to make devices, etc. that would protect things, and NASA, and gov, etc. would be already creating ways to keep things going during such an event. I don't think I'll worry just yet until they say we have to protect our equipment. Then I'll go to the grocery store and clean out their supply of tin foil and duct tape. ;)

Then it will be to late. I don't think Big Brother will ever warn of an eminent global disaster until it is minutes from hitting - if then. Warning the public of an unavoidable catastrophe would accomplish nothing other than to create panic, looting and pandemonium among the people.

What kind of "device" are you going to use to protect electronic devices? AFAIK, the only protection from magnetic and EMP pulses is a Faraday cage or maybe a lead box? And I don't think you are going to get people to walk around with their soul - I mean cellphone - wrapped up in aluminum foil with a ground rod for a walking stick. If you want to test your equipment for EMP safeness, operate it next to a Tesla coil. I know - I fried an LED sign, a computer, a cordless telephone and a motorcycle CDI box. Now when I demonstrate it to people, fisrt question I ask - "Do you have a pace maker!"

I personally live by the motto "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst." I never place any stock in doomsday scenarios. That's like the idiots that go out and buy milk and bread when a snow storm is predicted (I live in the deep South - we never get snow) - and most of them don't even drink milk! I prefer, instead, to be prepared at all times for the unknown. So instead of rushing off to the store for that freak snow storm, I just sit back and count the packages of powdered milk and jars of instant coffee already sitting on my shelves.

Derek Tombrello

View unverified member's comment - posted by TikaC

August 29, 2010 1:06 AM updated: August 29, 2010 1:07 AM

Saw this today linked from the Coast to Coast AM web site this morning and I thought I would share it with y'all:

Massive solar storm to hit Earth in 2012 with 'force of 100m bombs'

Talk about doom and gloom!

Derek Tombrello

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-12 of 12 | Latest Comment

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window