OUR NETWORK: TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 417485.0
April 28, 2010 04:11 PM

Categories: Other WowWee Robots

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

cimplexsounds

Hi

I opened up my Roboquad for his yearly routine maintenance. This would include applying lubricant to all his mechanicals, checking wires, etc

I noticed two ciruits with quite a bit of corrosion on them. One looked like it had been burned ( a tiny SMD service mount or crystal) by someone trying to replace it, who did not have the right service equipment to perform the ciruit replacement.

The only reason I'm not concerned to much about replacing these circuits is, the rest of the main board is perfectly good condition, and Roboquad has been like this ever since I got him, hundreds of hours of use with no problem. The condition of the circuits haven't gotten any worse. If fact the circuits seem to be operating just fine as is. I'd rather not attempt repairs on this one. Since he works fine. He's pretty delicate inside, and the crystal mount being so small, I fear doing him more harm than good.

However does anyone know where I can get a spare main circuit board for a Roboquad? I'd eventually like to replace the entire main board in him.  Until then, he seems to be operating just fine as is, program memory and all, no problems.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-6 of 6 | Latest Comment

May 1, 2010 8:07 PM

If your in the US I can swap out one of my spares with yours and clean and or replace the components that look bad or damaged. You just pay for the shipping to and from Jacksonville, FL. PM me if your interested in do that. My board has less than 1 hour on it just in case you wanted to know.

Jax

GWJax, To Hack and make mods on robots is a life style and comes natural and not by choice. If a robot has a screw to open it then it must be opened!

May 5, 2010 5:00 PM updated: May 5, 2010 5:29 PM

Hi Jax

If you have a spare PC board you can sell me that is good. Now your talking about just swapping out just the circuit board correct? As far as the Roboquad is concerned, he's in superb condition, everything works. My board has hundreds of hours of use on it. But still works pretty good. Just a little corrosion on one circuit, and it looks as if someone did bi pass surgery on the SMD that looks apparently burned. It has a tab missing off the connection for the electrical connector, that goes to his light sensor. Looks like someone tried to perform repairs before and caused a little mishap, not knowing what they were doing. However the connection still works great.

My question to you is. Do you think the condition of the circuits will get any worse, or stay the same? I mean after hundreds of hours, of pretty much gentle use, (these serve as robotic helpers more than toys) if he was going to go out, it probably would have happened by now. My experience in electronics. If a smaller SMD circuit is going to go out, they usually go out pretty fast. If it's a crystal circuit chances are that it can be burned and power is still going through it.

Anyway Jax I would like to get your opinion on this first. If you think it would be in the best interest of my Roboquad's health to replace the main board, then I will discuss further details about swapping a board with you. If you think Roboquad will continue to give me years of service as is. I would rather not bother, it was enough work opening him up for the preventative maintenance schedule. Again I would like your opinion on this though.

Thanks

May 5, 2010 5:08 PM

Yes a swap out is what I was talking about. I always want one around to do more testing on it when I have the time. If you want to do this then just let me know else I can not help you out at this time.

Jax

GWJax, To Hack and make mods on robots is a life style and comes natural and not by choice. If a robot has a screw to open it then it must be opened!

May 6, 2010 8:37 PM

Hi Jax

I appreciate your offer. I just got a replacement Roboquad for really cheap, with an excellent main board in it. I swap it out today and he works just great.

Thanks

May 6, 2010 9:06 PM

Great I'm happy you got a great deal on another Quad. Now you have plenty of spare parts should you need them or hack your boardless Quad with your own hand build board. Congrats.

Jax

May 8, 2010 10:05 AM

Hey Jax

I'm surely interested in any ideas on hack. I know I'm going to be adding a USB interfaced wireless camera to my Roboquad sometime in the near future. It will allow me to control my Roboquad using the Wowwee Roboremote software, and see the video feedback on my laptop computer.

Thanks Again.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-6 of 6 | Latest Comment

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window