Harbinger of the Robot Apocalypse?

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
defwheezer
defwheezer's picture
Harbinger of the Robot Apocalypse?

A Harbinger of the Robot Apocalypse?

Maybe not, but would be freaky to first hear of the Robot Apocalypse from this type of animatronic feed reading robot head!

RSS feed reading robotic chimp-machine hybrid made from a wowwee chimp head and a seriazer WL parasite board. 

Others have covered the general hackings of the chimp, but here I add realistic mouth movement synced to an automated RSS feed reader.

Mouth animations are done using the viseme stream data which encodes mouth shape and phenome length. This in turn used to control a servo in the jaw. TTS stream from an RSS feed updated in realtime. For this demo the keywords were robot and drone.

kindredd
kindredd's picture

Pretty darn cool! Thats the first interesting mod I've seen on the chimp. Excellent

GWJax
GWJax's picture

OK that is really cool.. I want to see all the electronic schematics and source code for this.

I now have a new Elvis that is waiting for a complete makeover as an alien with the body. This just got me inspired to do even more now..

Thanks for posting this thread.

Jax

Oh ya Welcome to our community and I hope you will keep posting these great threads.

defwheezer
defwheezer's picture

"OK that is really cool.. I want to see all the electronic schematics and source code for this.

I now have a new Elvis that is waiting for a complete makeover as an alien with the body. This just got me inspired to do even more now.."

Well, the electroincs are pretty straight forward- the jaw DC motor was replaced with a real servo which is driven via the parasitic serializer board.  I did wire up the eye lids and eye L-R at one point using your circuit to monitor the DC motor position potentiometer.  The serializer board only has a two motor h-bridge on it, so I had to choose which two motors were most important.  The head tilt up/down is still controlled with the original DC motor/potentiometer.  The head swivel is another added servo like the jaw.  The code is pretty long and crude (still in the hack 'n mod stage), but I would be happy to send you a copy of the full visual C# project if you like.

I actually also have an Elvis too that I just got (cheap as hell) off ebay which will be undergoing a similar mod as the chimp (and using all that I learned from said Chimp hack!).  I am hoping to use the "Alive" mode as is and only add RSS Feed synced mouth movement control.  I was going to do the same thing with Chimp (since the "Alive" mode does a pretty good job at motion tracking and general animations), but the motherboard in the chimp got damaged during one too many 'back alley' surgeries... hopefully the Elvis will not suffer a similar fate!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Nice work. I have just envisioned the whole set-up. Thanks!!! So you used my VR-Motor position control circuit from the Elvinator Project? If so then thanks and I'm glad it worked for the chimp. As for the source code I would love to see it and yes I have C# along with almost every programing platforms. I'll PM you with my e-mail address so you can send it that way.

Do you do any sculpting and molding for your new mask like I do? If you never ripped down the Elvis please read all my articles up to part 5. When part 6 comes out he will be connected to the PC via the LPT Port. I have some of the board designed via EWB8 before I build it. I will be using etched clad board that I'll make myself to cut down on all the wires and make it nice and clean.

Keep me informed on how your project works out for the Elvis Alive....

Jax

defwheezer
defwheezer's picture

The exact circuit I used (based on your Elvinator Project description) for the motor position 5k potentiometer is shown below. Gives me a range of about 1.8-2.4 volts ove rthe range of motion of the servo arm on the original DC motor gearbox.

The face mods include LEDs in the back of the eyeballs (replacing the IR sensors), cutting away some of the flesh and painting the metalic finish (chrome spray paint) and some touch up skin painting, and of course the funky eye wear.  No scupting or anything like that.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

So what is the value of your pull down resistor? I could do the math but I really don't want to, hehe.... Also, you got rid of the IR sensors.. Did you install them some where else or just took them out of the circuit all together? One other thing are you going to add a motion sensor to track the person in front of him so he looks like he's talking to the operator? If not that would be a cool thing to do.

Jax

defwheezer
defwheezer's picture

GWJax said: So what is the value of your pull down resistor? I could do the math but I really don't want to, hehe.... Also, you got rid of the IR sensors.. Did you install them some where else or just took them out of the circuit all together? One other thing are you going to add a motion sensor to track the person in front of him so he looks like he's talking to the operator? If not that would be a cool thing to do. Jax

I think the pulldown resistor is 10K.

As for tracking, the original chimp tracking using the eye-based IR sensors was not all that good in that you had to be within a foot or so of the chimp head for it to "sense" you. I suppose one could crack open the head and burrow down into the back of the eyes and tweek the orientation of the IR sensors, but like I said, the motherboard got scrabbled during surgery and thus... I will be using some sharp IR range finders to do the tracking bit.  Still need to replace the head up-down DC motor with a regular servo for finer movement control though.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

10K that sounds a bit much, now I'm going to have plug it into Multi-Sim8 and check that out. ;)

Instead of using the Sharp sensors, go with a Ping))) sensor instead to really get some good distance plus you don't have to worry about sensing any that is black and missing the bounce back at all. The Pings))) I use are from Parallax and you can buy them from Radio Shack now for around $30 or so. You can incorporate these into the eyes and still use the LED's as well. You can always build your own eyes using the method I showed in part 5 of the Elvinator Project which is the easiest way to do it. Just a thought..

Jax

defwheezer
defwheezer's picture

GWJax said: 10K that sounds a bit much, now I'm going to have plug it into Multi-Sim8 and check that out. ;) Instead of using the Sharp sensors, go with a Ping))) sensor instead to really get some good distance plus you don't have to worry about sensing any that is black and missing the bounce back at all. The Pings))) I use are from Parallax and you can buy them from Radio Shack now for around $30 or so. You can incorporate these into the eyes and still use the LED's as well. You can always build your own eyes using the method I showed in part 5 of the Elvinator Project which is the easiest way to do it. Just a thought.. Jax

Multi-Sim8 heh?  Must be nice! ;)

Yeh, PING is superior to IR for the distance bit, but they are also pretty big/bulky and harder to "hide" than the sharp IR's. I also like the idea of using dual (or triad) IR sensors to get rapid L-R distance for object tracking.  Have you tried to dissemble a PING into two parts (one for each "eye"??). I know the sharp IR sensors are on a single chip, so no separation possible there...

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Ya that would be around a 1K 5% resistor for your reading you stated. OK I know that was a typo of 10K so I'll let you slide by. hehehehe

Jax

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Yes you can separate the transducers from the board. check out the Wall-E thread showing how this was done. I worked with 4mem8 on this for a while. The Wall-E he made is quite impressive.

Jax

defwheezer
defwheezer's picture

GWJax said: Ya that would be around a 1K 5% resistor for your reading you stated. OK I know that was a typo of 10K so I'll let you slide by. hehehehe Jax

Oooooops!  Damn the decimal place, I'm always making stupid little mistakes like that!  (ala Office Space). Well, back to my TPS reports...

GWJax
GWJax's picture

defwheezer said:

GWJax said: Ya that would be around a 1K 5% resistor for your reading you stated. OK I know that was a typo of 10K so I'll let you slide by. hehehehe Jax

Oooooops!  **** the decimal place, I'm always making stupid little mistakes like that!  (ala Office Space). Well, back to my TPS reports...

LMAO, make sure you check your PM mail..

Jax

defwheezer
defwheezer's picture

Well, its on to the next challenge- parsing audio data from a wave file and syncing to jaw servo convincingly! This would enable the bot to "speak" wav files (such as Terminator/Elvis voice clips?!).

Already have a some prototype C# code in the ballpark (using audio stream amplitude readings in the human voice frequency range).

GWJax
GWJax's picture

do you need a bunch of data for the Elvis such as the cart. data which are MP3 files but have a .dat extension, or the flowchart for the main firmware, remote data streams, etc? If so let me know and I'll send you all files.

Jax

defwheezer
defwheezer's picture

GWJax said: do you need a bunch of data for the Elvis such as the cart. data which are MP3 files but have a .dat extension, or the flowchart for the main firmware, remote data streams, etc? If so let me know and I'll send you all files. Jax

I sure could use the mp3 files now that I have an Elvis hacked to control the mouth movements with either TTS Viseme or a WAV/MP3 file as input from a PC!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

You got it, I'm sending you a link in your mailbox, This will include all RetroPlayers files including the cartridge data.

Jax

defwheezer
defwheezer's picture

Thankx Jax!

btw, I got a vid up of the hacked Elvis doing a Max Headroom kinda thing: http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/17746/All-your-Elvis-are-belon....

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Cool I'll check it out in a bit. I'm having a bunch of health problems right now so sorry for the long delay in getting those files to you..

Keep up the great work

Jax

defwheezer
defwheezer's picture

GWJax said: Cool I'll check it out in a bit. I'm having a bunch of health problems right now so sorry for the long delay... Jax

Sorry to hear that man- get well!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Thanks for the concern, I'm trying to get there so I can continue with my bot's. Going in ICU with a long stay did not help out matters, but at least I can still work for now yet Still a long way to go to get back where I was.

Jax

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

GWJax said: Going in ICU with a long stay did not help out matters, but at least I can still work for now yet Still a long way to go to get back where I was. Jax

Take good care, Jax. I hope someone brought your Elvinator while you were in.

Cheers

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Thanks Nano, but nothing could be in the room with me but only 2 people at a time. I was on a machine that was breathing for me because I had stopped breathing. When my birthday came around they gave me a present which was removing me from that all-full machine. I had 12 doctors working on me for 2 weeks and they still don't know what had happen. I have had every test under the sun done on me. Almost every day I'm seeing doctors right and left but I have now been able to return to work yet taking it easy which is hard to do in the copier repair business. Mostly I'm helping out the other Techs with some very hard troubleshooting problems. I have a big appointment with my neurologist on Monday. I have looked at my MRI's and I see where I have broken bones in my spine and more bulging disk as well. My skin is now very sensitive to the lightest touch that feels like I have a very bad sunburn. And now I have a fever of 102 as I type this message. Man I just want all this to go away but I know it won't, it will only get worse as time goes by. So I will do my best to keep the Basic Electronics Training Articles going which chapter 2 is almost ready for me to write the article and I hope you all enjoyed the first chapter.

BTW I just got 18 Super Micro Servos to start working on my prototype Mech Warrior. When I get a chance to start it I'll start another thread so everyone can follow my every step until it's ready to build the larger one.

Take care my friends,
Jax

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

Jax,

Wow... If ever you decide to blog about it be sure to give us the link so we can throw a little friendly support your way.

Warm regards

idrum289
idrum289's picture

I'll second that GW. Take care mate.

defwheezer
defwheezer's picture

Here is something to hopefully cheer you up a bit Jax:

Elvis Bot goes Live, w/attitude: