Why Doesn't Roboquad Work With Remote Control?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
cimplexsounds
cimplexsounds's picture
Why Doesn't Roboquad Work With Remote Control?

Hello Fellow Forum Members

I have a friend who has Roboquad troubles. He claims his Roboquad  will turn on but won't take  command from the remote.

My first thought was, well could this be a counterfeit unit. I know I've read articles about Wowwee customer service claiming, that other people tried to copy the Wowwee design. This would make the IR encoding different so that the Roboquad will not work with a Wowwee brand remote. 

It also came to mind that his head wires might be unplugged, being that IR receiver is located in the top of the Roboquads head. The batteries are all new.

The Roboquad appears to be in good condition, no signs of abuse.

So I'm looking for your input. What might the problem be?

Sylux
Sylux's picture

It probably won't be a knockoff, but just check with him. Ask if it is by any chance a 'G Style G7'

Anyway, open up the remote and check for any dislodged wiring and also check if the remote is Wowwee.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Without seeing any pictures of the Quad internals, the two suggestions that you said would be my advise. Now I have seen with my remote that if the batteries are not seated completely in would cause the remote not to work. But if you are getting the remote to light up when you press any key then the batteries are fine. if all is well in the Quad with the connectors then refer to my article on test the Quads remote. Here is the link: http://www.robocommunity.com/article/12542/Checking-Your-IR-Remote-and-R...

Jax

cimplexsounds
cimplexsounds's picture

Ya, Thank You GW jax. I found your remote control testing video on youtube a while back. That's really cool that you uploaded it to youtube. Now I use that test to check all of my IR equipment. Your nifty test also works with regular HI 8 camcorders too! I discovered.

There are two remote controls with this Roboquad. His internals look good, and the remotes work too. I'm thinking he probably fell off the table at one time or another, because my friend is one of these people that mistakenly thought that Roboquad has table edge detection, when it doesn't.

I bet anything that the main IR receiving sensor in in the top of his head is broken, and needs replacement. If this is the case, it's pretty easy to replace. Since roboquad's head is a fairly simple assembly, compared to my Robosapien v2. I'm just thankful this is my friends Roboquad and not mine.

Have you ever heard of the Roboquad's main IR sensor getting broken and needing replacement?

cimplexsounds
cimplexsounds's picture

Sylux said:
It probably won't be a knockoff, but just check with him. Ask if it is by any chance a 'G Style G7'
Anyway, open up the remote and check for any dislodged wiring and also check if the remote is Wowwee.

Sylux it's not quite clear what your saying, could you elaborate on this a little more? Your answer is not totally clear. Do you mean, the Roboquad had two different body styles? I thought they were all the same, accept for the fact some came in different colors. These are official Wowwee remotes, there's two of them. It won't even work with my Wowwee roboremote, and software, so I think the IR sensor is broken.

My own Roboquad works great with the roboquad remotes and the Wowwee Roboremote.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

@Cimplexsounds, first off thanks for the kind words about the video and I'm happy that you use this trick to test your remotes.

As of the RX module in the head of the Quad, I have not heard of this going out but that still does not mean that the RX is not bad. If you have an O'scope you can attach the probes to the signal out and check for the data stream being sent from the remote to the Quad. If you get an 8 bit data stream off the RX module then this is OK. Next bring the probe to the board level on the connector and check there. If not signal then it's in your wiring else it's the main board. If you need help with this just let me know and I'll step you through the process and If you don't have an O'scope I'll show you a different test using a meter to give you a round about testing. Just let me know what you need.

Jax

Sylux
Sylux's picture

No, there is only one type of roboquad.

The G style G7 is a knockoff of the real Roboquad. Check it out on google.

So I am guessing that you should open up the remote and check. If there is no problems, then open up the Roboquad.

ivo
ivo's picture

Hi guys, mz son lost his remote control for his roboquad and looking around to make purchase a new one, but it seems to be quite difficult. have any idea where can I buy it and ship to overseas? Thanks ivo

roboquad1235
roboquad1235's picture

Help me , my roboquad is not responding to the remote. When I press a button he senses something aand when using escape walk when he scans static sounds can be heard. Please help

roboquad1235
roboquad1235's picture

help. when I press some buttons in the remote he reacts to something he sees something when i press the remote and when he escape walks when scanning static can be heard insteadof norma please help me