OUR NETWORK:TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 3547370.0
February 17, 2010 04:06 AM

Categories: Rovio

Rating (1 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

denodan

My replacment battery only lasted 10 mins then blue lights and Rovio turned off. This has been a problem for many here, and some have replaced it with 9v chargers.

I may have made an important discovery to fix this problem, if you charger is going of course.

What I found is after 1/2 an hour, or so, the pulsing would stop and Rovio showed full charge. What I have done is place it back on the dock, would charge a bit more, when it says full do it again and again.

Now I have had 43 mins on the battery, seems you can get a false indication your battery is charged. This can often happen with rechargables, which is why they say it can take serveral charges before you get max battery charge.

I know I find this is working with my Rovio. I am hoping it will give me a longer battery life then my other battery, which will last about 45 mins without the headlight accessory.

If your having your battery last only 10 mins keep charging your battery, when it indicates full charge, undock, then redock. I am seeing how long the replacement battery lasts in my broken Rovio

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-15 of 72 | Latest Comment | 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

February 17, 2010 3:01 PM updated: February 17, 2010 3:02 PM

It's likely that these have a Nickel Cadmium or Nickel Hybrid batteries. The bad thing about this kind of battery is they are went to have their power supply totally exhausted before the next charge.

These batteries have a memory in them, so they remember the last time they were charged. So keep in mind, if you charge the battery frequently, and the memory in them thinks, it's fully charged when it's not, YOUR SCREWED.

The most simple solution I've found when dealing with these kind of batteries. Do not let Rovio return to the base for charging when batteries are low. If you can use the web interface to shut that option off.

Instead let Rovio keeping roaming the house until he goes completely dead. Keep his headlight off too. A slow discharge is better than a fast discharge. Then after Rovio is so robbed of power he can't make it to the base, put him on the base for a full recharge.

You've just manipulated, the memory in the batteries now. Now the batteries can get more of a full recharge. Try this only with Nickel Cadmium and Nickel Hybrid batteries. Never try this with a lead acid battery. Lead Acid batteries are more like car batteries. Totally discharging them can permanently damage them..

There should be a label on the bottom of Rovio telling you what kind of batteries are inside.

February 17, 2010 10:45 PM

denodan said: My replacment battery only lasted 10 mins then blue lights and Rovio turned off. This has been a problem for many here, and some have replaced it with 9v chargers.  I may have made an important discovery to fix this problem, if you charger is going of course. What I found is after 1/2 an hour, or so, the pulsing would stop and Rovio showed full charge. What I have done is place it back on the dock, would charge a bit more, when it says full do it again and again. Now I have had 43 mins on the battery, seems you can get a false indication your battery is charged. This can often happen with rechargables, which is why they say it can take serveral charges before you get max battery charge. I know I find this is working with my Rovio. I am hoping it will give me a longer battery life then my other battery, which will last about 45 mins without the headlight accessory. If your having your battery last only 10 mins keep charging your battery, when it indicates full charge, undock, then redock. I am seeing how long the replacement battery lasts in my broken Rovio
That is why I built that feature into Rovio Commander,  its call charge mode.  You can set the number of minutes to wait before the next backup command is sent to the Rovio.  Better than re-docking the Rovio manually.

Rovio Commander IIRecord Video, Motion Detect, Sentry Paths and more. All features built in. http://www.robocommunity.com/download/15769/_New-Rovio-Commander-II/

February 18, 2010 12:09 AM

My battery has gone from lasting 5 mins to 1 hour. Timed it. I found it went to the last bar, then the battery completely died. Not bad for a battery that only lasted 5 mins to start with?

With a few more charges may get more then 1 hour. But my steps above are the soultion for anyone who's battery lasts 5 mins, you don't need a 9v power supply, as long as your Rovio's power supply is going, these steps will most likely enable your battery to fully recharge.

February 18, 2010 7:17 PM updated: February 18, 2010 7:17 PM

This does make sense. Since the battery has a memory in it. Very cool, how you managed to trick the battery's memory like this.

Hey if you can, find out for me what kind of battery is in the Rovio anyway.

February 18, 2010 7:21 PM

Are you one of the folks at Wowwee who actually built Rovio?
cowboyctx said:
denodan said: My replacment battery only lasted 10 mins then blue lights and Rovio turned off. This has been a problem for many here, and some have replaced it with 9v chargers.  I may have made an important discovery to fix this problem, if you charger is going of course. What I found is after 1/2 an hour, or so, the pulsing would stop and Rovio showed full charge. What I have done is place it back on the dock, would charge a bit more, when it says full do it again and again. Now I have had 43 mins on the battery, seems you can get a false indication your battery is charged. This can often happen with rechargables, which is why they say it can take serveral charges before you get max battery charge. I know I find this is working with my Rovio. I am hoping it will give me a longer battery life then my other battery, which will last about 45 mins without the headlight accessory. If your having your battery last only 10 mins keep charging your battery, when it indicates full charge, undock, then redock. I am seeing how long the replacement battery lasts in my broken Rovio
That is why I built that feature into Rovio Commander,  its call charge mode.  You can set the number of minutes to wait before the next backup command is sent to the Rovio.  Better than re-docking the Rovio manually.

February 18, 2010 8:05 PM

cimplexsounds said: This does make sense. Since the battery has a memory in it. Very cool, how you managed to trick the battery's memory like this. Hey if you can, find out for me what kind of battery is in the Rovio anyway.

Battery specs of my battery are:

5LMH-43SC3000-W-T

NIMH 6V 43SC 3000mAh  PTC

Hope this helps

Hope

February 21, 2010 10:37 AM

So this is a Nickel Hybrid Metal Battery. Thanks

Then it is safe to totally to completely discharge the battery, and then return Rovio to the base and put him on by hand, for a complete recharge.

Many laptop computers come with nickel Hybrid batteries. The manufacturers, allows recommend, totally discharging the battery, or at least draining the battery down until you get a critical battery alarm. They say this actually helps extend the battery life for a long time. The battery is probably hi amperage because of the kind of device it's powering. You should be getting at least two to three hours of use off of a single recharge, considering how power efficient Wowwee robots are suppose to be. Again my suggestion. I'd let the battery go completely dead a few times, and allow Rovio to achieve a complete recharge, before use. you probably find this will really help.

Fortunately you don't have Nickel Cadium batteries. They are less forgiving. If you don't totally discharge a Nickel Cadium battery during each use, it shortens their battery life significantly, mainly because of the memory.

In case you don't know the following are usually the symbol meanings for these types of batteries:

NIMH = Nickel Hybrid Metal Battery - more forgiving on partial recharges.

NI - CD = Nickel Cadium Very unforgiving on a partial recharge.
You usually find these symbols on the batteries.

5LMH-43SC3000-W-T would probably be the model number of your battery in case you ever have to order a replacement.

Hope this helps.

February 26, 2010 3:53 PM

An update on fixing my battery. I got a total of 80 mins out of it on a full charge

February 27, 2010 12:54 PM

Very good!! Just keep running the battery down all the way, then recharge it up completely. You should eventually be able to get two to three hours of use on a full battery.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks

February 27, 2010 1:18 PM updated: February 27, 2010 1:20 PM

I have another Rovio Battery also and never got 2-3 hours. Got around only 70 mins on that.

However you never know if I will get more? I am hoping it will end up a better battery then the other one I have.

February 27, 2010 2:06 PM updated: February 27, 2010 2:10 PM

The Rovio might be different the other Wowwee robots. I know I can get over 6 hours of use on both my Robospaien V1's and even my Robosapien V2 on a single recharge, with the video camera, built in to his head.

May I suggest? Try doing with the other battery, what you've done with this one. You've done a pretty good job of manipulating the memory on this battery. If you still have the old battery, try doing the same thing.

If it works, you'll have two good batteries!!

By the way I have a question for you. I've considered adding a Rovio to my Wowwee collection. How good is the video quality on the Rovio?

February 28, 2010 3:30 AM

I find it good in the day and ok with your lights on at night, but for it to be useful you need the headlight accessory. I know people keep going on about the camera preforming badly in low light, but what do you expect, with such a small apature camera lens?

May 26, 2010 10:45 AM

I'm having the same problems, but my rovio will not come on. I'm seeing 4.6 volts from the charger base on my volt meter. The NiMH battery is 6 volts... it's been my experience that you need to have a little over 6 volts to charge. The rovio wall transformer is rated at 8 volts... and that would be reasonable. But as soon as I plug it into the base I get 4.6 volts... not enough for a cycle charge. Anyone else experiencing this?

May 26, 2010 12:05 PM

From reports and my experience, there are problems with bad battery packs/ bad charger (too weak) and dock contacts at least.
I got the first 2 problems.

So check contacts are ok on dock (dirt etc..) if voltage goes under 7V when docked either too much current is drained (bad pack - short circuited elt) or adapter is too weak.

I replaced my adapter by a 9V / 3 Amps, charging is a lot better though not perfect. Later i replaced by a better 4800Ah nimh pack

A 5 nimh pack should be between 6.5 / 6.8V-7V fully charged so indeed 4.6V is not enough.

If it happens to be the adapter and you replace it, you'll have to do the dock/undock trick to keep Rovio charging and get battery voltage in the 'safe' range.

Charger board is a bit quick at doing a power off when battery is very low so no chance battery can go up enough before it is switched off...

Hope this helps.

May 26, 2010 1:53 PM updated: May 26, 2010 1:54 PM

Hmmm. I didn't know about the battery pack and power adapter, not being properly matched to Rovio's power requirements. Thank You for the tip. Just another sign of bad engineering. The Robopet seems to have the same problem. Four AAA batteries just don't seem to be enough to power robopet for very long, even when they are fully recharged. I can only get about one or two hours of use from my Robopet.

This will help me be really careful when looking for the perfect Rovio to buy.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-15 of 72 | Latest Comment | 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window