First time on the forum - I did a quick search and didn't find any threads about the Dasatech Genibo QD so I'm making one now. Anyway, I'm sure you have heard about the discontinued AIBO in one way or another, but I'm happy to say that GENIBO is the new AIBO!
In summary, Genibo is an autonomous pet robot, similar to the Sony ERS-7 however with quite a few notable improvements:
- 1.3MP camera in Genibo vs 0.35MP camera in the AIBO.
- Touch Sensors on the Head, Back and Flank allow physical interaction with Genibo.
- Servos are more powerful enabling Genibo to perform movements that would be impossible for AIBO.
- Has 3 color, 31 LED eyes which can display not only emotions, but alphanumeric characters.
There are a few key areas which Genibo currently is lacking in which from the sounds of it Dasatech is working on (either for the current QD model or for a future model).
- Ball/toy detection and tracking (99% sure this is not currently in firmware).
- No autocharging (aka: seek and charge itself when battery is low).
- No automatic mouth movement.
Anyway, the Genibo has been a hit in Dasatech's home country (Korea) and has only recently been imported into other parts of the world (UK/USA). If you are interested in purchasing the Genibo QD, here are a few links:
(located in Van Nuys, CA)
(located in UK)
For myself, I plan on buying my own Genibo this week and will be providing a ton of photos & video in the weeks to come. For more Genibo related information & links, feel free to hit up the Genibo Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/Genibo.