am I just too critical?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
RebelTaz
RebelTaz's picture
am I just too critical?

After having my eye on Femisapien for a year now, I decided to take advantage of Amazon's sale and picked one up for $39. Just a couple of days later, she arrived via UPS - real fast shipping! We opened the box, put some batteries in her and turned her on. First thing I noticed was that the "voice" sounded somewhat distorted, although the music during her stripper... I mean dance routine was clear.

Then we played around with the other functions for a couple of minutes. Slightly disappointed with her, back in the box she went. I think my disappointment had more to do with the means of control. I just read that she responds to the RS remotes, so I may take her back out and try again this weekend, but unless I am putting on a robot talent show, I just don't see much use in the pose-and-program control method. And when I tried the "dance along with the music" mode, she just kept doing the same sing-move combo and it wasn't even in time with the music.

I'm just glad I didn't fork over the full $100...

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

What you need is a robot who can bring you a beer! :-D

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

NanoTek said:

Check it out: 

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/16615/Cool-Robot-Stuff-for-Christmas-2009/?page=2#42475

RebelTaz
RebelTaz's picture

NanoTek said:

I'm waiting for WowWee to put that one out! Cool But with their track record it would probably bring me a glass of milk instead! 

As for the video that you linked to, I do have this soda can robot:

http://www.robotsandcomputers.com/robots/personal.php?filename=robug.htm

Shai Alyt NEMO
Shai Alyt NEMO's picture

No, you are not too critical.

First (not very important for me): Her sound indeed can be better. It sounds like it is digitized at 11KHz sampling rate (so called "phone quality") (22KHz sometimes called "radio quality" and 44KHz - "CD quality") hence the absence of high frequencies.  I think WowWee just decided to save some money on bigger ROM for better sound samles.

Second: Her control system. While her "puppet-mode" programming (borrowed from RSv2-RSM line), as for me, have a reason to exist, her hand-joystick-control is totally impractical. I think, it's another attempt to reduce her total cost by excluding IR remote from the kit. Thanks gods, WowWee leaved an ability to use RSv1 remote for her. If you have RSv1 remote, I highly rcommend this metod!

Third: Her "dance" function. A HUGE frustration and a bright example of unfair advertisement to which, as I see, WowWee is prone. Just take it as a fact and when you read any WowWee advertisement or product features list, divide your expectations at least in two (or three), othewise your frustration is imminent!

And all my thoughts of modding her were inspired by an urge to make her, attractive and lovable robotess (sorta EVA from "WALL-E" style) more practically functional, then she is "out of the box".

P.S. And my frustration was bigger then yours as I bought her a year ago for ~$150 equivalent dreaming of a sort of "robotic girlfriend" Wink or at least "a first affordable gynoid on the market".

Read here also:

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/14024/Poll-Will-You-Buy-A-Femi...

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Waaaay back in the day, you could get an RC "robot" at Radio Shack that could carry things.

The word robot is in quotes because Robby was little more than a single channel RC vehicle with a walkie talkie built into the controller.  Push the button and hold, forward it goes.  Release the button, it stops. Push the button and hold again, it reverses with a turn due to a mechanical linkage on a steering wheel. Talk into the remote, and your voice came out of the "robot".

In hindsight, we haven't come all that far regarding useful robots. They still can't fetch me a beverage of my choice.

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

Shai Alyt NEMO said: A HUGE frustration and a bright example of unfair advertisement to which, as I see, WowWee is prone. Just take it as a fact and when you read any WowWee advertisement or product features list, divide your expectations at least in two (or three), othewise your frustration is imminent! 

I very much agree with your statement, Nemo.

If WowWee drive their customers to frustration they should always remember that frustration can be a two way street...

As far as my personal interest is concerned, regarding FemiSapien, I will wait for a more sophisticated robot.

RebelTaz
RebelTaz's picture

MrScott said:
Waaaay back in the day, you could get an RC "robot" at Radio Shack that could carry things.

I actually have his twin brother - Steve the Butler. Identical except for the name band around his neck. Only I don't have his tray.

http://www.robotsandcomputers.com/robots/personal.php?filename=steve.htm

Randall Lim
Randall Lim's picture

Hi! 

I have discovered how robosapien V1's remote control can control femisapien.

When the "Dance" button is pushed, she will dance.

When the "Whistle" button is pushed, she will kiss.

When the "Strike2" button is pushed, she will guard.

When the "Sonic" button is pushed, she will scold.

When the "Wake Up" button is pushed, she will roam free.

When the "Demo1" or "Demon2" button is pushed, she will sing.

When the "Roar" button is pushed, she will wake up.

When the "Burp" button is pushed, she will pose.

And if you also own a robosapien V1, I have also discovered how femisapien can control the responses of robosapien V1.

Turn both ON & allow them to complete their "Wake Up" routines first.

When she kisses, he will roar & sweep.

When she guards, he will strike.

When she sings, he will dance.

When she scolds (who's the boss?), he will talk back, then roar.

Try turning both ON together & then push the respective romote control buttons.

Randall

kateadover
kateadover's picture

Once I had a robot that looked almost exactly like the one in the pic. It brought back fond memories. The Zhu Zhu babies are controlled by similar robotics. It didn't really do much as far as I remember.

kateadover
kateadover's picture

Sorry for this second post. I can't seem to delete.