OUR NETWORK:TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 1534680.0
November 30, 2009 02:45 PM

Categories: Other WowWee Robots

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

John79

Cry Does any one on here know why WowWee fails to sell replacement motors for the radio controlled line of goods they produce? They will not even give out specs for the consumer to try and purchase motors elsewhere. Buyers beware of any products made by WowWee

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-15 of 19 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

November 30, 2009 4:57 PM updated: November 30, 2009 5:23 PM

Nobody gives out specs for parts, particularly toy parts.

Non-replaceable things (as deemed by the company) are not encouraged to be replaced.

WowWee's no different than any other toy company in that respect.

I'd wager that NewBright sells a lot more electric motors wrapped by toys than WowWee does. Try finding spare parts other than a battery for a NewBright RC vehicle.

Update - just checked their site

http://www.newbright.com/nb-consumer/

Guess what it says.

ATTENTION:

* Please be advised that no parts are available for purchase.

ScottE -- collecting and building robots for 40 years - details in profile

November 30, 2009 9:19 PM

Garbage toys not made in the USA. Most reputable toy makers do sell motors, etc for their toys. WowWee toys should be pulled from the shelf and disposed of and shipped back to Hong Kong. **** poor customer service to boot.

November 30, 2009 9:42 PM

John79 said: Garbage toys not made in the USA.

Heh heh heh. That's funny.

It's like you're saying there are quality electro-mechanical toys made in the USA, and that the companies that make them offer replacement parts.

That's a good one.

As an aside, WowWee does offer select parts for Flytech products. The parts considered to be replaceable.

http://www.wowwee.com/en/products/accessories/flytech-parts

November 30, 2009 9:46 PM

Gee you wouldn't work for WowWee would ya!!! Like I said, send that garbage back to Hong Kong along with all your WowWee links. Buy American Made!!!

November 30, 2009 9:57 PM

Nope, don't work for WowWee. I generally hang out trying to provide useful information for folks who actually want help.

Sorry to have wasted our time, it seems.

December 1, 2009 12:00 AM

John79 said: Gee you wouldn't work for WowWee would ya!!! Like I said, send that garbage back to Hong Kong along with all your WowWee links. Buy American Made!!!

Listen, I am by no means a fan of WowWee the company (just read my many posts regarding that or take a look on my website), but I just have to ask... what American made toy, on par with (or exceeding) WowWee's robots, are you aware of? I didn't think we made anything in this country anymore. And the things that are [u]assembled[/u] here are just that - assembled from parts made in other countries.

And what [u]toy[/u] company sells replacement motors or even give specs - unless of course you are talking about high-end (ie. $300 and up) remote control cars and truck. And in that case, that is a totally different animal all together.

Derek Tombrello
www.RobotsAndComputers.com

December 1, 2009 12:27 AM

I found a source of replacement motors for a BladeStar. Guaranteed to be 100% compatible.

You get 2 motors for $15, packed in a carrying case.
There's also a replacement body, battery, remote, and wings included.

http://www.amazon.com/Wow-Wee-Bladestar-Flame-Indoor/dp/B0013UO6S8

December 1, 2009 8:50 AM

MrScott said: I found a source of replacement motors for a BladeStar. Guaranteed to be 100% compatible. You get 2 motors for $15, packed in a carrying case. There's also a replacement body, battery, remote, and wings included. http://www.amazon.com/Wow-Wee-Bladestar-Flame-Indoor/dp/B0013UO6S8

HEHE, Love that MrScott.. If you need motors at a great price these motors in the FlyTech series are not hard to find. a good source is electronics gold mine where you can buy in bulk for cheap.. Sorry I did not put up the URL for the sight but just google it you'll find it.

Jax

GWJax, To Hack and make mods on robots is a life style and comes natural and not by choice. If a robot has a screw to open it then it must be opened!

January 1, 2010 9:07 AM

$200 is enough to imply there is a certain amount of quality in a remote control car with a camera on top. I could easily get a hobby grade car with replaceable (and upgradeable) parts for $200. Wouldn't be too hard to strap the Internet and a webcam to it... now mass produce it and you got yourself a rovio. Here's one with a horn! http://www.jbprojects.net/projects/wifirobot/

LOL

Anyway, I reserve judgement of WowWee pending my experiences getting my wheel servo replaced after a gruelling 3 days of ownership (sarcasm).

January 1, 2010 6:36 PM

carltondhouston said: http://www.jbprojects.net/projects/wifirobot/

Thanks for the link!

You should make a thread of it in the topic of General Robotics.

Happy New Year!Cool

"And there are those people who are catfish in life; and they keep you on your toes. They keep you guessing. They keep you thinking. They keep you fresh."- from the movie Catfish (2010)

January 1, 2010 7:23 PM

Any Northstar or autonomy on that home brew, or is it a Spykee functional equivalent?

A loooong distance remote controlled car with camera doesn't tickle my robot lover's sweet spot very much. I picked up a used Spykee for $50 that does about as much.

January 2, 2010 9:13 PM

Nice link and well documented! I do have a gas engine car that this would be of interest to me on done the road. But I would change it so it operates on it's own using an MCU and not radio controlled. This would bring the car into the Robot stage rather than a RC car with a camera attached. Better yet just link it up to a computer which it is already and use the power from the PC instead of a MCU to run it's self. My car runs at 55 mph and shifts it's gears at around 25mph a very fast an hard to control car when it's going at top speed, so a computer could make the corrections it needs to prevent the flip overs.. LOL

Jax

GWJax, To Hack and make mods on robots is a life style and comes natural and not by choice. If a robot has a screw to open it then it must be opened!

January 3, 2010 1:57 AM

Oh, no. A gas engine car would be way too crappy for that job. I have a couple of those myself that are not even nearly smooth enough.

I am a huge Traxxas fan... their Summit monster truck would be great... with low gear it would be nearly perfect.

That link is to a page a guy put together demonstrating how easy it is to get a regular remote control car rigged up with Internet controls via wifi. The rovio is the exact same thing save for a little bit of muscle memory self-guidance, which as you say "doesn't tickle my robot lover's sweet spot". (ew! lol)

You guys remember that R2-D2 that Hasbro came out with several years ago with the sonar and ir sensors? That thing is my favorite so far because of it's completely autonomous nature. He roams our house sometimes but is a highly coveted gift that I guard pretty closely.

Later,

January 3, 2010 10:45 AM

Rovio's marketed as having more than "muscle memory self guidance". When it's not using the Northstar navigation signal to calculate a path to the directed destination, it's using its IR avoidance to avoid obstacles and look for that Northstar signal.

At least that's the marketing for it. I haven't dropped the coin for one, and given all the quality issues reported here, I'm not likely to until it shows up for much less than it sells for now.

Contrast that autonomy to Spykee, whose only autonomy is spinning around looking for its charging base signal to home in on. It does a fairly good job of parking itself, but that's all it can manage without turn by turn control from the network connection.

I have a split level home, lots of short staircases linking living areas. Rovio would be trapped on one level like my Spykee is. Not too useful for checking on things at home if you can only check one or two rooms.

January 3, 2010 11:18 AM

It sounds like Rovio and Spykee have a lot in common. I don't have a spykee to compare it to. My rovio broke in 2-3 days so I didn't really have a chance to hang out with it much, but it's northstar docking signal is just that, a way to guide it to the docking station. I don't think WowWee has not really sold any of the room beacon which might let you fake up some autonomy by teaching it paths between beacons. But you are still saving a list of each individual move.

My idea of autonomy is that the robot does not need to hear from you to know what to do to move around a room. It would be nice if it didn't even need to have you tell it where it's base station is or place markers around your home. Image and shape recognition ishould be good enough. Like The Honda robot which can recognize faces, etc. I believe it is time for that level of technology to trickle down tot he consumer level and that it is taking too long for it to get here. Probably because of our jacked up patent and copyright system...

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-15 of 19 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window