Robosapien V2 bad motivator problem solved

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Doc Savage
Doc Savage's picture
Robosapien V2 bad motivator problem solved

i had the bad motivator problem when he was standing up, then he wouldnt turn on at all. i wasnt about to let my robot be returned, i took off the leg plates and found the problem"

wire covering confetti spilled out of the leg plate, the part where the wire cluster for the right leg goes into the leg from the hip had the charictaristics of being mangled by a dog, minus the slobber. the bad chinese wire batch plus the constand rubbing if the leg plate had cause the wires to be exposed and crossed with each other, i fixed it by sealing each wire in electrical tape and binding the whole cluster in zip ties, and putting the leg back on, he worked perfectly.

i just thought id post this information because the "bad motivator" problem and the crusty wire insulation problems may be linked. as it was for me.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Yep this has been posted since the V2 has been out. Do a search in the threads and you'll find a bunch of info on this..

Jax

Doc Savage
Doc Savage's picture

i know there is info on it, im just saying that the 2 events may be linked in some cases.

smokeybonefan
smokeybonefan's picture

I bought one off someone on Ebay got it home worked for about 15mins. Then started saying I have a bad motovator! Took back off to see if the wire were bad and sure enough same problem with insulation on wires! Put back back on it and it shorted out. Good thing I told the person I bought it off of I was not too happy and he was kind enought to refund my money! Very good seller. It was a manufacting problem from Wowwee what a shame they could put out such junk! It was a nice robot until it shorted out. This was the Robosapien V2 not sure if V1 has the same issues? Most likely! Anyone know?

Tiburon
Tiburon's picture

I have purchased three RSV2s and have had bad wireing I have used liquid electrical tape on one so far that worked. if you get one second hand always check the battery compartments. I have found leaking batterys in two of the ones I got. Also it looks like all the other bots are in good shape fron robosaipen V1 to roboraptor. I think the RSV2 pulls so much power to stand itself up that generats to much heat that it is drying out the the wire covering. that is what is causing it to shlup off.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Tiburon said: I have purchased three RSV2s and have had bad wireing I have used liquid electrical tape on one so far that worked. if you get one second hand always check the battery compartments. I have found leaking batterys in two of the ones I got. Also it looks like all the other bots are in good shape fron robosaipen V1 to roboraptor. I think the RSV2 pulls so much power to stand itself up that generats to much heat that it is drying out the the wire covering. that is what is causing it to shlup off.

No the problem with the wire covering was that WowWee had a bad batch of wires which was told to use by WowWee a long time ago. The were replacing the wire harness to those who needed them but again that was many years ago and they no longer support the V2. Only the newer modles have the good wires in them.

Jax

smokeybonefan
smokeybonefan's picture

Ya I bought one on Ebay and got it home worked for about 5mins then kept saying bad motovator user error! Then it started to smoke! Did it get ruined? Not sure that person was kind enough to refund my money! Now I got a dead V2 Bot. Not sure what happened. The board might have fried? Who knows I am afraid to open it. And it would need rewiring I am sure! If the board is still good?????

Omega Man
Omega Man's picture

My RSV2 is facing the same "Bad Motivator" problem. Opened both the legs and noticed the insulation on the harness is completely come off exposing the copper wires only in the left leg. Now, everytime the bot moves, they tend to short. The wires are exposed right from the bottom of the leg leading into the belly. I have managed to open up the legs but am unable to open the belly. Please advice.

minkykat
minkykat's picture

I am trying to restore one I found in the trash! How does one get the plates off? He piped up that he had a bad motivator yesterday.

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Refer my thread on the V2 rewired.

Cheers Curtainmaker

rsv2 survivior
rsv2 survivior's picture

want peace of mind try to find a rsv2 in black and silver. i have two and both have good wiring and run great. i think they were sold at the linens and things stores way back when.

dmatthewm
dmatthewm's picture

Just received my first robosapien v2 on eBay and after a minute I got "user error, bad motivator and he started to smoke in the head and torso. I'm waiting to see if seller will return, refund or what.I would think about re-wiring but not too sure if his brain got fried when smoke came out of his head, or if it was smoke from below coming up. I was really looking forward to having a good v2 experience before my rs media arrives and having my rs x interact with him. Has anyone seen the circuitry being fried from this bad wire problem, or is it usually fixed with a re-wire?

Tracy
Tracy's picture

So we just grabbed the Wowwee robosapien rsd2 special edition metallic blue at a thrift shop. Put batteries in and he works but doesn't walk...no remote either. Says he thinks he has a bad motivator and will check wiring as mentioned above (thanks) but any idea where I can buy a replacement remote? I found one on eBay but it's for the white one and not sure it will work with the blue one! Any advice appreciated

dmatthewm
dmatthewm's picture

I am pretty sure it will work... I have 2 Rsv2s and 3 controllers, plus I had purchased the wow wee programmable remote... The 1st rs responded to both remotes - older and newer, both for Rsv2; one has a "lazer" light for him to follow/track, the other doesn't... unfortunately when dancing to his demo, his motivator was bad too, he looked at me, stopped moving and started to smoke... had to act fast and unscrew those battery covers... poor little fella, I've taken his bottom half apart (following an Australian sportbiker's video on teardown - almost a half hour or so. All of the wires are melted and flaking to the point of shorting out, have all materials but no time. Have two RS Media projects also, but no time. :( If you can, try to get the controller with the green lazer light in the middle/front, I had read both will track light reguardless of older or newer controller... would definitely change wires 1st, my other Rsv2 has not been turned on yet for fear of another "meltdown"... Goodluck!

RAinAZ
RAinAZ's picture

I have several of Wowwee's robots and if you buy from Ebay (I have several) it is a pure crapshoot!. I bought Blue, saw it work online but when it got to me the shipping had shaken a lot of insulation off the wires causing the famed "Bad Motivator" bit. Well, that was the second V2 I had bought with problems and since it was a an RS V2 Blue I started to disassemble. Took about a week and had to replace the lower wiring harnesses. Thank the stars I had a harness from a pervious V2, if not I was prepared to replace each wire one by one. Moral of my story is I would never buy another RS V2, not even a new one sealed in box. But if your into electronic adventures there are some sites and videos on YouTube that show disassembly and then go from there. Good luck! RAinAZ

tonyinflorida
tonyinflorida's picture

I'm trying to complete my collection