Successful Rovio Re-Install with 5.02b4 Firmware, VLC Issues

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture
Successful Rovio Re-Install with 5.02b4 Firmware, VLC Issues

Just re-set up my Rovio (after finding a new, suitable location) and it's running great on the newest beta firmware.

I
think the support for audio in Safari and Firefox is awesome, but the
dialog box that pops up on the Rovio isn't entirely clear - it's not as
easy as installing VLC on your Mac and selecting an option to install
plugins, since there isn't one.

You actually have to download the browser plugins separately from this page - it's an additional package:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

I wanted to ask everybody on the forum what their experience has been with using VLC in Firefox and Safari, specifically on a Mac setup.  For me, it runs on Firefox but not at all on Safari, after installing the plugin.  (Note: I am on Snow Leopard, no doubt it could be a potential culprit.)

My problem in Firefox is that it works, but with noticeable lag and video quality issues, as well as obstructing the system menus and borking the browser.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there a fix?

The other streaming method works perfectly and I'll stick with that for now until I can figure out what I am doing wrong with VLC, or if Snow Leopard is just being finicky...?

milw
milw's picture

I had the same lag and obstruction issues with VLC and Firefox before Snow Leopard, but I haven't tried Safari since the OSX upgrade. I seem to recall hearing that the lag was due to VLC's buffering of the video/audio stream. I also went back to mjpg because the lag makes it too hard to drive.

redeemer666
redeemer666's picture

Same problem with Mac OS X 10.6.1 and Safari. Lag in video streaming, the image is darker than MJPEG, menus unusable because they appear behind the video image. Reverted to mjpeg, waiting for a little patch. I have posted a 3d into the 5.02b4 download section to get the programmers use flash instead of vlc, I think is better...

Tatay
Tatay's picture

I'm just getting a "waiting for video" message with Firefox.
Tried on either side of the FW so I know its not a port issue.
This is with XP, Windows 7 Premium (RC) and XP.

Jas
Jas's picture

I'm getting all of the above issues, plus the java applet that handles the audio fails with an invalid version number in .class file exception. This is on a Mac with OS X 10.5.8, all the updates, and it happens in Safari, Firefox and Camino.

Tj
Tj's picture

I'm having the same problems, very laggy video now - in jpeg mode with Safari. In VLC mode in Safari, no picture at all.

On my Macbook (C2Duo 2.66, OSX10.6.2) Firefox crashes after the VLC install but on my iMac (C2Duo 3.06 OSX 10.6.2) the plug-in worked - so on that machine, with Firefox I get sound but the video is much dimmer and it's quite difficult to control owing to the lag (this on a LAN not WAN connection).

The audio stream sometimes gets way out of sync and also very quiet, intermittently, regardless of audio settings on the iMac or Rovio.

Wowee suggested I install the firmware (which I didn't know existed) to resolve an issue I reported - which is, that most times when my Rovio docks, the Rovio drops video but nothing else. Refreshing the browser, starts a new connection and video is restored. The iPhone app also gets the same issue.

I think my Rovio has a fault potentially?

At least they're trying to get the audio working - which I sincerely appreciate. In the mean time, I may downgrade (if this is possible) to allow reasonable usage of it again.

redeemer666
redeemer666's picture

Hi TJ,

What firmware version do you have? I have the same problem when Rovio gets to the dock (it reboot automatically). From the download section, the latest firmware is 5.02b4. Do you have a newer version? Can you post the link to download it?

About the A/V problems, it is not a faulty rovio, I have the same problems too... Hope to see an update soon (in the meantime I have resolved the dimming problems with the Rovio Headlight accessory, now it is much better)...

Have a good day

Tj
Tj's picture

Hello, thank you for the help :)

I have 5.02b4 :(

I thought my Rovio was faulty owing to the freeze video on dock but not the other lag video and audio issues. All of those (new for me) issues where introduced on my Rovio when I upgraded to 5.02b4.

It is a little pleasing to learn that someone else's Rovio's video freezes when that one docks (sorry) - I only say that because that might indicate that mine isn't faulty (when it docks and video only hangs).

I guess the new issues I've observed - are evident because the firmware is beta :)

I appreciate the ability to have it early - I almost feel like a Live System Tester ;)

redeemer666
redeemer666's picture

Hi TJ.

It's a pleasure to help another user :-).

About the new firmware, I really appreciate the ability to test it early, my only hope is to see a new release soon, since the last one is dated 08/31/09!!!!

Anyway, if you want to get a more functional Rovio (but lose the ability to send audio from your Mac) just stick with the 5.00 stable version... At least, with the Quicktime plug-in, you can see and hear what happen around it...

If you get some other workaround about the docking problem, let me know. It is really annoying to see Rovio rebooting every time gets on the dock

Tj
Tj's picture

Thanks again.

Funny thing is though; this is my second one, the 1st went back to the retailer because it was 2nd hand / used / damaged. It did still work though - but crucially, didn't have the docking issue - at the same v5 firmware...

hmikail
hmikail's picture

been trying to get my new Rovio up and running on my Mac since yesterday and been driving me absolutely mad! any tips would be really appreciated!

Tj
Tj's picture

Hi, I still have my Rovio, but in (Mac OSX) Safari I don't get Audio - I never found that it worked very well at all (changing it to Quicktime).

How are you expecting it to work? (I mean to ask like that because I have resolved myself into accepting that getting a decent picture ((which isn't too dark)), without audio is the best I'm going to get on a Mac - but with Safari - which is my preferred browser - and Safari is the only browser on the iPad - which I use when I'm in work to control my Rovio!).

There is some port mapping that you may need to do on your router and possibly reservation of an IP Address as well - which can make life easier. I;'ve done this and I know on a PC it works...

On a Windows 7 Dell e6400 laptop that I still have (I only use a Mac normally), Audio and Video work fine - and within reason, two way conversation can be had with someone in front of the Rovio and the other person using the PC browser. I can't really get the Mac to be as good as it is on the PC (running Windows 7 with Internet Explorer).

My Rovio is running "Version: v5.03 [ Base Build: v5.3503 | TrueTrack: v5.13.201 ]".

I can certainly help you getting it to work as far as it works on mine. Because I have a PC Laptop (which I'm not keeping) I know that the Rovio and my LAN are both set-up correctly and that it's just Safari which doesn't do the Audio streaming / carrying very well - on a Mac. Other people may have had much more success that I have & I welcome any additional suggestions.

That said though - more than willing to help you on your Mac / Router /LAN etc :)

hmikail
hmikail's picture

your help much appreciated...i've tried everything....this is so frustrating

hmikail
hmikail's picture

your help much appreciated...i've tried everything....this is so frustrating

Tj
Tj's picture

How can I help / what's the problem?

hmikail
hmikail's picture

Tj said: How can I help / what's the problem?

it's in a vegetable state! can't even do the setup on the mac...nothing...zilch...nada :( tried everything....manual....nothing...then through that new mac installer....i get as far as 'enter wep password'...hangs for a bit....then nothing...i'm not able to go past the first step what so ever....i've configured both wifi modems (apple's airport and the other) to use wep...etc....still nothing

Tj
Tj's picture

Are you in the UK? Might be better to talk you through it verbally - just don't want to publish a mob / email address on a public forum!