Red Roboquad vs White Roboquad

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tesla
Tesla's picture
Red Roboquad vs White Roboquad

Hi all,

I just bought both the red and white roboquad from off ebay.  I notice that they have different firmware.  My white roboquad doesn't back up well at all, yet the red roboquad backs with no problems.  Their Demo dance is also different.  The white one looks up during the dance and the red one looks down during the dance.  Also at the end of the dance the red one puts his left leg up for a second, like he is waving.  I think the firmware for the red one is better, yet the white one seems to be built better.  The red one moves his neck real jurky and the white one moves his neck real smooth.  Does anyone else notice these differences?  Does anyone else have one that doesn't go backwards well?  Anyone know which one is newer?

Thanks,

Tesla

Tesla
Tesla's picture

I found that the red one is newer (I think).. it is 8040 and the white one is 8039. Are there other models? Are all the white ones 8039 and all the red ones 8040?

I found these numbers on the cover of the manuals.

Tesla

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture

I have seen photos of a black Quad and I have heard that there is a blue one as well. As to the differances between the colors and what they do, I could not tell you as I only have the white one I got off of eBay a couple of months ago.

I too would like to know what the differances are between all the colors as to what they can do.

Lady Donna

Tesla
Tesla's picture

Hi Donna,

Does your's have troubles going backwards?

Thanks,
Tesla

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture

No problems at all with my quad. He paddels around the apartment rather well.

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Take a look at my video in this thread. It may shed some light on Roboquad behaviour. Mine was on freeroam in my office at work when I shot this.

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/13828/Roboquad-problems/?page=...

Tesla
Tesla's picture

Thanks.. I know what they can do.. but there are slight difference between models and was wondering if anyone else noticed this. I love both of my RQs, but neither one works 100% and my white one was NIB. My white one doesn't back up correctly and my red one doesn't turn his neck back and forth well. Seems that my robots are the only ones with these problems. A little upset that out of two one isn't 100% working.

Tesla

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture

I wish I could tell you what the differance is Luv. I got my Quad off of eBay and he has been 100% since I got him out of the box and he was used before I got him.

Lady Donna

Tesla
Tesla's picture

I think I may be able to fix these guys.. I'm going to take apart the red one tomorrow. Speaking of red roboquads.. for anyone looking for a new red roboquad.. I see only one left in stock on Amazon.com for $190. I've looked everywhere else and I don't see them anywhere.. last chance. I was lucky to get my red one (used) off ebay for $44 (including shipping). I looked closely and it seems my red one just has a loose neck.. I think if I take apart that I can tighten. The white one on the other hand.. I'm not so sure if I can fix him. The good news is you can still get the white ones new for around $60 if you look hard, but both are no longer manufactured. It's crazzy that Wowwee quit making all the cool robots.. well they still make Rovio, but that is it. No more RSv2, RSM, and RQ.. how strange!

Later,
Tesla

Tesla
Tesla's picture

Tesla said:
I found that the red one is newer (I think).. it is 8040 and the white one is 8039. Are there other models? Are all the white ones 8039 and all the red ones 8040?
I found these numbers on the cover of the manuals.
Tesla

To answer my own question.. The numbers don't mean one is newer that the other.. all the red RQs have the model number 8040 and all the white RQs have the model number 8039.  I got confused because Rovio reviews and ebay say that 8033 is the latest Rovio model sugesting that there can be more than one model number for the same robot, yet I only see the 8033 model number for Rovio.

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture

"It's crazzy that Wowwee quit making all the cool robots.. well they still make Rovio, but that is it. No more RSv2, RSM, and RQ.. how strange!"

I agree with you on this one Tesla. I think Wow Wee has lost something topside when they stopped making these three bots with Quad being the biggest loss! Even their own tech. people think Quad was the smartest of the line, so why stop when you have a popular thing going?

Speaking for myself, I think they stopped making these bots to create a market for them. A market that is willing to pay more then what they are worth just to get one of them.

Lady Donna

MrScott
MrScott's picture

My guess is it's just the opposite financial scenario. I think the little bot stopped paying its way, so its production plug was pulled to free up capital for investment in the next big thing, whatever that may be.

Toy companies don't have much incentive to cut off today's profit in hopes of building up demand for tomorrow's unshipped product. They stop making product when the money stops rolling in. The smart or lucky companies manage to time it right. They stop investing in production of the old, and can manage to sell off the built up inventory at a profit while they ramp up production of something new.

My theory is that after selling thousands of RoboQuads to the folks who were interested, the return on their production investment was slowing down. They stopped building, converted their cash stream into new product ramp up, and hoped not to get stuck with RoboQuad's they could not sell.

I got my Discover Channel "exclusive" RoboQuad when they sat priced at $35 and gathering dust on the local Big Lots shelf.

Those quads are gone now, but the shelves are now full of robo minis that aren't selling at $10. There's a couple of beat up DragonFlys priced at $20, too.

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture

MrScott,

On the other hand, I have worked in the toy sales industry and due to the non-profit group Mum and I owned, I have seen toys that were very popular get pulled off the market for no reason at all and then the next year, it is re-introduced (Sometimes with some tiny change made to it.) and it is sold at a higher price then it first was.

When I asked my friends at Hasbro, Mattel and Lego about this and why they did it, I was told it was done to generate fresh interest in a toy or a line of toys that were slacking off in sales but were somewhat still popular.

So they kill the line and then a few months or a year later, they will bring it back with perhaps a few cosmetic changes (A different paint job or some cool looking decals.) or like the RS V1, they will add a mini version of the big item in the box with it.

Or they will bring it back out as a "Limited Edition" that can be bought at ONLY a certain store. Like Wal-mart, TRU, Kay Bee Toys, Target, Fred Meyer, K-mart and so on. IE: A long time ago, my step-children had bought me a special, numbered edition, gold plated, ST/TNG, USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D by "Playmates Toys" for Christmas and the ONLY place it could be found at was TRU!
Mattel is ALWAYS making limited edition toys for TRU and K-mart. Everything from "Hot Wheels" cars and track sets to "Barbie" to "Harry Potter" mini games that look like books and some "TYCO" R/C items.

So I am expecting Wow Wee to do the same with the Robosapien line and if the call for the Roboquad to be reproduced is loud enough, they just MIGHT bring Quad back in gold plate and perhaps some additions to his programing to make him do some new things.

Although I do not think that they can do much better with him as he is now. (Unless they want to add a wireless video camera and microphone to his head.) I feel that Quad is the most intelligent of all the RS robot line and has so many posabilites that can be done with him.
By and far, other then the RS Media and the ROVIO, this is just the smartest bot that Wow Wee has ever made to date and I wish I could get my hands on some of those other colored ones.

Roboquad rules!
Lady Donna

Tesla
Tesla's picture

Roboquad rules!.. Yes he does! I can't wait to try robodance with him.

Tesla

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture

I need to download Robodance soon, but getting the infrared transmitter is going to be the tough part for me.

jubar
jubar's picture

hi my mom bought me a red roboquad for $30 the problem is that it only makes noise and does not move for anything or turn on lights.where or how i could fix it?