OUR NETWORK:TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 1645410.0
July 2, 2009 01:58 AM
Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

Tesla

Hi all,

I was wondering which is better.. do they all work with Robodance.. any advantage of one over the other.. is the 56kHz IR sensor (USB-UIRT) needed for the WowWee and i-Sobot robots.. will the Roboremote work with i-Sobot.. does the Roboremote work plugged in.. and lastly do you have to use the buttons on the Roboremote or will it work directely controlled by Robodance like I think the others do?  I need one of these for both the WowWee and i-Sobot robots.

USB-UIRT http://www.usbuirt.com/

Robo-IRT http://www.robots-dreams.com/2009/04/robo-irt-makes-controlling-the-i-sobot-a...

Roboremote http://www.wowwee.com/en/support/roboremote

Thanks for your help,

Tesla

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-9 of 9 | Latest Comment

July 2, 2009 6:58 AM

As far as I know, the Roboremote works just like the USB-UIRT with the GO-Robo Software but I'm not sure about robodance as I don't think V5 is out yet and even then it won't be compatible with the Roboremote until the update comes out.

The cure for this disease is lack of money. It doesn't stop the itch though.

July 2, 2009 10:48 AM updated: July 2, 2009 11:42 AM

Tesla,

Some of the comments I am about to make are based on what I've been told about ROBO-IRT since I've never used one myself. But if Robots Dreams says it works with Robodance then I believe that it does.

Robodance version 5 is not out yet I'm still not putting out a release date until I know better how close I am to finishing. It is the only version that supports the Roboremote. For now the choices are ROBO-IRT, USB UIRT, and Lego Serial Tower (not the USB version).

- All three devices should work with Robodance
- The Roboremote is the most inexpensive
- The builder of the ROBO-IRT has told me that it has greater range than Roboremote
- Roboremote can not be used with i-SOBOT, only WowWee's robots

Robodance 5 will use Roboremote in the matter that you want, as a real time IR transmitter like the other two devices. In fact, currently, you can not store patterns to the buttons. The Roboremote must be connected to the PC for use with Robodance (again I say currently).

Robodance 5 - Rovio over Skype with Voice Control

• No more router setup hassles
  • 2 way audio on any system

July 2, 2009 11:34 AM

You're confusing me, Roschler. I think you typed one thing

Robodance use i-SOBOT in the matter that you want, as a real time IR transmitter like the other two devices.

but meant to reference the potential future support for the RoboRemote in that sentence.

I have this half baked idea of lashing the external button interface equipped RoboRemote to my Spykee, and using the three toggleable LEDs to control the button interface logic. That would allow me to program the RoboRemote, and use the Spykee API to initiate IR streams to local robots.

I was hoping that RoboDance support for the RoboRemote would include stuffing of command streams into the RoboRemote memory for later button initiated streaming.

Ideally, it would be great if the RoboRemote could control the I-Sobot, as the I-Sobot is small enough, light enough, and articulated enough, to use as an onboard Robot that Spykee could control via the LED/RoboRemote interface.

Imagine rolling the Spykee up to the area of interest, then using the I-Sobot's spiffy articulation to manipulate objects under Spykee's watchful eye.

ScottE -- collecting and building robots for 40 years - details in profile

July 2, 2009 11:51 AM

Hello Mr. Scott,

Thanks for the typo note. Just fixed it.

Re: Roboremote button memory and i-SOBOT support

It's just a matter of time and I'm really short of it. Once I get Robodance 5 done I'll take a look at the Roboremote button memory support and a huge list of other features. I have no idea now which features I'll choose to implement. The i-SOBOT support may not even be possible if I can't get Roboremote to put out the correct format infrared stream. Robots uses different timing cycles, bit counts, and bit widths when encoding command data into an IR stream (carrier). If the IR device can not be configured to "shape" the IR wave into the proper format, you're out of luck. For example, the reason the Lego USB tower can not be used is because they hardwired certain parameters in the electronics that creates the IR stream so that it is hard if not impossible to create a WowWee robot compatible IR stream.

-- roschler

July 2, 2009 12:22 PM

Thank you all for your response.

Tesla

July 2, 2009 5:04 PM updated: July 2, 2009 5:08 PM

Thanks all..

USB-UIRT looks like the best deal if you want IRT for both WowWee and i-Sobot robots if you are in the US.. if you're in the UK I would go with the Robo-IRT. The Roboremote looks promising for the WowWee robots.. even if you can't program sequences to the buttons with Robodance.. you can with the software that comes with it.

Tesla

July 21, 2009 4:51 AM

Hi, when we can expect the latest version Robodance 5? I bought Roboremote two months ago... :-( Or will be better not wait and buy USB-UIRT? Or ROBO-IRT? Which is better? I have Robosapien V2. Thank you.

July 21, 2009 11:32 AM

Hello Jiri,

I'll have an update on Robodance 5's release date in two weeks. Please note, I am not saying it will be out in two weeks, I am saying that's when I'll post a new estimated release date.

If you have a Roboremote already you should be fine with Robosapien V2 when Robodance 5 comes out.

-- roschler

September 24, 2009 9:26 AM

so i was wondering can you use the roboremote as an uirt to program a wii mote that would still help me out

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-9 of 9 | Latest Comment

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window