Cinemin Swivel+Wiimote+PDA= Microsoft Surface?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Colt45
Colt45's picture
Cinemin Swivel+Wiimote+PDA= Microsoft Surface?

A Korean PhD Johnny Lee discovered something useful: by using the nintendo wiimote, he can turn any screen into a touch screen!

I tried it and played Crayon Physics Deluxe and other games , and found it really cool!

It's multi-touch feature reminds me of the Microsoft surface:

I'm thinking if I tie Cinemin Swivel, Wiimote and a PDA that supports WiFi together and place them on the desk in this way:

Then the cheapest Microsoft Surface is made! It's really cool that you can put a bluetooth or Wi-Fi enabled camera on the desk, then drag the photos into a phone . I'm crazy about this idea and recently I'm doing experiments on this. I bought a Optoma pico projector and borrowed my classmate's Kodak V610 bluetooth camera and reailzed some of the functions shown in the Surface promotion video.

Now the problem is:  I want to turn it into a product (it must be a money-making business as it is so cheap!) ,but it's too hard for me to design the circuits , can anyone give me a hand on how to do it or tell me the possibility of building it?

P.S. I bought a ebox3300, a infrayed camera,  a bluetooth adapter, what else do I need?How to connect them? Your help will be greatly appreciated!

MrScott
MrScott's picture

You've got a few challenges in making this a saleable product.

1- You are using somebody else's idea. That Korean PhD has already published his wiimote interface. The fact that it's based on the wiimote pulls their marketing folks' attention to you, too.

2- You have publicly described what your idea is prior to having put into place any pertinent patents (assuming you could get around item #1)

3- You mention it's a poor mans MicroSoft Surface. You can be sure that they have a collection of patents on their techniques, so you'll have to differentiate your idea enough to not conflict with their published patents (unless you plan on paying them royalties).

Colt45
Colt45's picture

Thanks for your advice...It looks that I have to play with it myself.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

...or publish it on a HowTo site so that others can benefit from what you discover and can roll their own, too.