HELP! how does Your Femisapien stands in the default pose ?

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
bastelmeister
bastelmeister's picture
HELP! how does Your Femisapien stands in the default pose ?

My femi is in the default pose, a litlle bit to the left with her waist

and if i push her right arm back her waist is aligned (straight) again 

is this normal?

Or do the all have this minor inperfection

O, en by the way i opend her op the see what the problem was ! 

I took out the main waist scew so she was in 2 pieces !!

all i could see was that the waist section is connected to her right arm.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Intresting, Refering to photo #3 where the waist is located and corrects the center point. In the following photo is my Femi that has never had batteries in her so she has never been brought to life YET. But I just ripped down mine further and noticed that you center possition is off compaired to mine. I would readjust the gear box for this to re-align her to the center post that protrudes outs. also double check the VR's on the 10K Black VR in photo 1 and make sure that it is dead center using your meter checking from the yellow center line connector and reviewing both right and left side pins. These should be almost the same value on each end +-5%

Hope this helps out.

Jax

bastelmeister
bastelmeister's picture

thanks for your tech reply,
in photo #3 the waist of my femi is already aligned because, this part is brought to the center position: by moving her right arm backwards (wich i did for this photo)

in your photo she is of to the right waist side.
Wich is easly corrected by moving her right arm.
When someday you put her back together again, (And power her up) Only then you will find out the position of her default pose.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

ya getting Femi back together will be a while because I am documenting every detail about her, even the board layout. I have started an article with a huge gallery but no where finished in the rip down and wiring of her. Though I may put her back to a functional stage and start her up to see where she stands in the pose position for you..

Jax

milw
milw's picture

I haven't taken mine apart- the default pose has both arms slightly forward and the waist straight. If I push her right arm back, her torso turns toward the right arm.

bastelmeister
bastelmeister's picture

Yes! Yes, i am looking forward to your indepth article about the femi.
and thank you for putting her back together again (in the near future)

But, as MILW stated: his femi stands kinda normal in default mode.
i expect that yours is gonna do the same,

I think it is posseble to fix this inperfection but, i have to dig deeper in to my femi`s internals

GWJax
GWJax's picture

bastelmeister said:
Yes! Yes, i am looking forward to your indepth article about the femi.
and thank you for putting her back together again (in the near future)
But, as MILW stated: his femi stands kinda normal in default mode.
i expect that yours is gonna do the same,
I think it is posseble to fix this inperfection but, i have to dig deeper in to my femi`s internals

I'm glad you want the Femi article as does Commander Pete!! I'll get her back to a functional state tonight and post my findings to you and if she is the same as yours I'll make a quick mod to correct this action for you and show you how to do it..

Jax

bastelmeister
bastelmeister's picture

that would be fantastic, THANKS!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

A small update, My Femi is back in working order without the covers. What I found out is, yes the waist is slightly off to her right. The motor VR for the right side uses a 10K pot and in checking this pot of mine read 9.85K well in specs for this. Measuring from the red and yellow wires of the pot out of circuit at it's home position I got around "if I can remember now" 3.35k. This is what I'm thinking and will try it out tonight, cutting the yellow wire and installing a 500 ohm pot in line with the original pot, since moving the right arm changes the pot and centers the waist the reading shows around 3.65k, by tricking cpu and making it it think it needs to bring the arm down just a little bit more this may work. once she is in a straight position we can take a reading from our installed pot and replace it with the same or close value resistor and solder and shrink wrap the resistor in place.

Stay tuned for tonight's quest for a corrected waist for Femi..

Jax

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Update on the corrected waist problem. The added bias pot did work to some degree but not enough to get her at a very straight waist position. I'll need to rip her down again and now test the left side pot as well. I'm thinking that the Frimware "Program" in her is calculating both right and left sides. Along with the other projects I'm working on at the same time this is one that I want to complete ASAP so more update to come later on.

Jax

bastelmeister
bastelmeister's picture

sounds interesting, but maybey its one of the centerwaist gears.
or am i thingking i a very simple way?
but still i am very curious about your solution.

Anyway,
something else on my femi is the ledwrist mod.
i replaced them with rgb leds!! works great looks cool!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

OK a final conclusion to the waist correction. By adding a 1 Meg Ohm resistor in parallel with the right VR pot on the connector J18 between the red and black lines corrects the this problem. My 10k pot was reading 9.8k and by adding a 1 Meg resistor to it brought it down to a 9.704k pot.

To find out what your pot reads unplug the J18 connector an read the black and red leads. After you have the reading use this equation to find the resistor you need to bring down the pot to at least 9.7k: R1 = your pot reading, R2 = the new resistor. Rt = the total resistance:

((R1*R2)/(R1+R2)) = Rt

If you make this into an Excel Spread Sheet this will be allot easier to calculate the results. Let me know if this work for anyone else like it did with my Femi..

Have fun hacking,

Jax

bastelmeister
bastelmeister's picture

sounds like you pined down the problem.
is possible to post a pic with some detailed points of your solution?
thanks!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Sure no problem, I'll do this as soon as I get home from work..

Jax

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Sorry for the long delay but I had a few personal problems to tend
with. So here is the photos you were wanting. One thing I forgot to
tell you is that when you messure the total resistance of the Left side
J19 make sure that you calculate the resistance for the VR on J18 to
come as close as you can to that of the VR on J19. Also make sure you
messure these while the VR's are unplugged from their connector. If I
can I'll upload the Excel Spread Sheet that I made in the Downloads
section for those who want it.

Jax

A 1Meg Resistor placed in Parallel with the J18 VR

Resistor Soldered to the connection of the Red and Black Lines. And Yes I know this is not a good job soldering to this board but with one eye I guess it works until my new operation on the 18th of June to regain my vision on left eye ;)

After turning the Femi on after the mod the waist is  now aligned..

If I can upload the the Excel sheet I'll post where it is in the next post. Thanks again for all that was watching this progress and I hope this helps other out with this same problem.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

As soon as the moderators or the site approves the download of the calculator it will be released but this is where you will find it.
http://www.robocommunity.com/download/16133/2-Resistor-in-Parallel-Calcu...

Have fun hacking,

Jax

GWJax
GWJax's picture

OK just got word from Commander Pete and the Spread Sheet Calculator is now ready for download if you want it..

Jax

bastelmeister
bastelmeister's picture

hey Jax, thats fantastic!!!
I have to make some time to get this operation going.
but with all your help i am counting on a succesful operation, speaking of: Good luck with yours!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Thanks for that bastelmeister, make sure you download the spread sheet to make things easier for your calculations plus let me know how it goes with your mod..

Jax

Shai Alyt NEMO
Shai Alyt NEMO's picture

Interesting idea, GWJax! Thank you!
My Femi is slightly off-centered in her default position too. It would be great to correct this imperfection!

BTW, I wish you and your doctors good luck in your eye repair (another case to wish we, biological machines, can be as easy repairable as electro-mechanical robots)!

bastelmeister
bastelmeister's picture

Well, being a bit of a clumsy electronoob i found out the folowing:

J18= 2.18k J19= 2.11k running this thru your calculater(ThanksAgain) it reads 107 Ohms.

note: this value differs if femi is not in default position!!!

i like your opinion on this Please, like i stated i am no so at home with electrotech stuff.

bastelmeister
bastelmeister's picture

Oh, and do use the calculater the right way? i mean the inputs for R1 and R2 (blueboxes)

my previous calculation was based on: R1 218 R2 211 = 107 Ohms

sorry for being such a noob!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

bastelmeister said:
Well, being a bit of a clumsy electronoob i found out the folowing:
J18= 2.18k J19= 2.11k running this thru your calculater(ThanksAgain) it reads 107 Ohms.
note: this value differs if femi is not in default position!!!
i like your opinion on this Please, like i stated i am no so at home with electrotech stuff.

OK you read the resistance while the VR was plugged into the board to get those reading, These are 10K VR that are used. Please redue you mesurments with the VR UNPLUGED from the board and try again. The 107 ohms will do nothing but cause a little bit of problems.. Post again when you have the correct values please.

Jax

bastelmeister
bastelmeister's picture

Okay, let me get this strait: you mean disconnect al the plugs from the main board? or just the J18 and the J19 ? ( my previous mesurments are made while J18 and J19 where unpluged!

note: the batteries where still in my femi but her powerswitch was turned off.
does this matter?

GWJax
GWJax's picture

OK measure J18 unplugged from the board and measure the BLACK and RED lines from the plug NOT the plug scocket on the board. then do the same with J19.

here is J19's VR plug in my finger. Take your measurements from this and let me know what you get on both J19 and J18. You should get around 9.??? K ohms from them.

Use the resistance of J19 ONLY as a referance and use J18's reading as R1 and then try to come as close as you can with the R2 so the Rt ~J19's value.

Does that make sense? 

Jax

bastelmeister
bastelmeister's picture

And here are the results:

J18= 9.34
J19= 9.75 calculater: 5 Ohms

sorry for my previous misunderstandings !!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

bastelmeister said:
And here are the results:
J18= 9.34
J19= 9.75 calculater: 5 Ohms
sorry for my previous misunderstandings !!

Are you sure that J18 is 9.34k and J19 is 9.75k because if so then your not going to be able to to bring that VR up that much. If it is the other way around whick I think it is the you'll need a 2.5 meg giving you a resistance of 9.38 k ohms

Jax

bastelmeister
bastelmeister's picture

Thanks Jax,
i will look again tommorow but i think i made the right mesurements.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

I think I need to edit the calculator and give better notes, instructions and photos embedded in the spread sheet so others won't get confused on how to use this in this mod calculator. As is it just helps you do the math work with a 2 resistor in parallel calculation.

If your readings are correct then I would suggest swapping the 2 VR's with each other so this mod will work for you. And this will entail for you to rip down the gear boxes just to get to them. Should this be the case I'll do the same on my end so you won't have to do this in the dark. I want to help you out in anyway I can so you can learn and enjoy robotics and electronics at the same time.

Jax

bastelmeister
bastelmeister's picture

Thanks Jax for all your effort in helping the les tech/fortuned.
I really appriciate it!
And yes my readings where correct J18 reads: 9.34

So much for the easy fix.

Oh, and something else do own a xboxlive account?

GWJax
GWJax's picture

OK try this put the 2.5 meg resistor on the J19 then so both will be very close to each other. See if that will work! just solder in the resistor the same way as on J18..
Let me know what the results are.

and no I do not have an xboxlive account.

Happy Hacking

Jax

Pages