Rovio fire extinguisher

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Colt45
Colt45's picture
Rovio fire extinguisher

Sorry for my English, I'm a Chinese.

First I should mention I'm a crazy model fan, and I only make hi detail models.

I'm also a crazy fan of computer graphics and microelectronics. Rovio is a wonderful platform to do  some experiments, so I changed its shell as well as its inner circuit.

I made a  electromagnetic valve and added it to rovio, the bottle on the right is filled with CF2ClBr(4ATM). Then I use adaboost+SVM to train rovio:

And then...rovio became an auto fire  extinguisher! Rovio is just wonderful!

I also wrote a rovio controller program with object tracking and motion detection. 

For more information, please visit my blog:

http://qiaosong.co.nr

Chris 22
Chris 22's picture
Good work. I think Rovio is a

Good work. I think Rovio is a good fire fighter. ;o)
Really cool!

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Nice job but please edit your

Nice job but please edit your photos to fit into the thread screen and create a gallery for the larger photos. By having large photos the advertisements on the right can not be seen and these pay for our community so we don't have to pay dues to enjoy our passion and share with each other our creations..

Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to seeing your source code for it..

Jax

crmfghtr
crmfghtr's picture
Amazing!

Amazing!

Colt45
Colt45's picture
GWJax said:

GWJax said:
Nice job but please edit your photos to fit into the thread screen and create a gallery for the larger photos. By having large photos the advertisements on the right can not be seen and these pay for our community so we don't have to pay dues to enjoy our passion and share with each other our creations..
Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to seeing your source code for it..
Jax

Sorry, I didn't notice... I'll do it right away.

Colt45
Colt45's picture
Sorry,I want to upload the

Sorry,I want to upload the video but it is impossible to visit youtube in China, let alone uploading videos.

Chris 22
Chris 22's picture
It's a pity. :o(

It's a pity. :o(

milw
milw's picture
Really nice paint job and

Really nice paint job and construction! Can you post links to "Adaboost+SVM"? I'll adjust your photos to be a bit smaller (moderator job!).

roschler
roschler's picture
Excellent idea! -- roschler

Excellent idea!

-- roschler

Colt45
Colt45's picture
milw said:

milw said:
Really nice paint job and construction! Can you post links to "Adaboost+SVM"? I'll adjust your photos to be a bit smaller (moderator job!).

The 2009 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium is hosted by my university and I'm busy preparing for it, as soon as it's over I'll upload the code to codeplex.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture
Adaboost and SVM.

Adaboost and SVM.

Grandlarseny37
Grandlarseny37's picture
Awesome! Great work!

Awesome! Great work!

meredith
meredith's picture
做的真不错呀.

做的真不错呀.

请问第一张照片是什么?

我能不能转载你这篇文章呀? 

JaTu
JaTu's picture
Did you know that in Finnish

Did you know that in Finnish language the word 'rovio' is a bonfire?

milw
milw's picture
meredith said:

meredith said:
做的真不错呀.
请问第一张照片是什么?
我能不能转载你这篇文章呀? 

For those of us who don't read Chinese, I used Babelfish to translate (Chinese-trad to English):

Meredith said: Does really well.
Ask that what the first picture is?
Can I reprint your this article?

Colt45
Colt45's picture
milw said:

milw said:

meredith said: 做的真不错呀. 请问第一张照片是什么? 我能不能转载你这篇文章呀? 

For those of us who don't read Chinese, I used Babelfish to translate (Chinese-trad to English):

Meredith said: Does really well. Ask that what the first picture is? Can I reprint your this article?

Good translation! But Chinese in mainland China use simplified Chinese, those in Taiwan and Hongkong use tranditional Chinese. So next time use Chinese-simplified to English might be more accurate.

cmilian
cmilian's picture
How did you do the body work?

cmilian
cmilian's picture
I am thinking this could also

I am thinking this could also be used to build an Hover or helicopter with the same technology. Have the hover fly for an hour recharge and go again, completelly autonomous around forests or fire risk areas. This hover could alert and and if the fire is small enough fight it. Hell this is a money idea right there.

Colt45
Colt45's picture
cmilian said:

cmilian said:

I used a  CNC machine to build the valve and the bottle. The new shell is made by hand , the material is ABS board.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture
Sorry to be a pest, have you

Sorry to be a pest, have you got some more photos of your custom shell? especially from during the construction? The forum has a photo gallery function (their should be a "create gallery" button under the thread title), you could stick any photos you've got in there and make us all very happy.

Colt45
Colt45's picture
cmilian said:

cmilian said:
I am thinking this could also be used to build an Hover or helicopter with the same technology. Have the hover fly for an hour recharge and go again, completelly autonomous around forests or fire risk areas. This hover could alert and and if the fire is small enough fight it. Hell this is a money idea right there.

I'm also thinking of that. My fire extinguisher facility is only 628g, and can be installed on my T-REX 600 Nitro.

Colt45
Colt45's picture
Nocturnal said:

Nocturnal said:
Sorry to be a pest, have you got some more photos of your custom shell? especially from during the construction? The forum has a photo gallery function (their should be a "create gallery" button under the thread title), you could stick any photos you've got in there and make us all very happy.

I'm sorry I didn't shoot more photos...and actually I'm using a proxy to visit this site which doesn't support flash(needed to creat gallery).

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture
:) I learned my lesson when

:) I learned my lesson when it comes to photos ages ago, I take photos of every step, everything I do (better to have them, than to need them and not have them). Even if I never publish the things.

Yet another argument not to use flash for anything important. I certainly appreciate the effort your going to simply to post here.

milw
milw's picture
If you can get the photos

If you can get the photos into posts in the thread, I can use the moderator magic powers to create a gallery! (ps I tried the translation again with Chinese-simplified but it came out exactly the same- thanks for the tip though!)

Colt45
Colt45's picture
milw said:

milw said:
If you can get the photos into posts in the thread, I can use the moderator magic powers to create a gallery! (ps I tried the translation again with Chinese-simplified but it came out exactly the same- thanks for the tip though!)

HaHa...Thank you! That the translation is exactly the same is because those words are exactly the same in simplified Chinese and traditional Chinese! What a coincidence!

junglewarrior
junglewarrior's picture
very good !! china is

very good !! china is beautifull...

cmilian
cmilian's picture
specially if you are a geek !

specially if you are a geek ! :)

Colt45
Colt45's picture
I'll soon upload my programs.

I'll soon upload my programs.

DeathRider
DeathRider's picture
Hello,

Hello,

This is an awesome mod!

Would you by any chance have a tutorial for it ?

Not so much for the shell but for the fire extinguisher function (wiring of the valve, programming, etc....).

That would be so cool.

Thanks,

Charles

Colt45
Colt45's picture
DeathRider said:

DeathRider said:
Hello,
This is an awesome mod!
Would you by any chance have a tutorial for it ?
Not so much for the shell but for the fire extinguisher function (wiring of the valve, programming, etc....).
That would be so cool.
Thanks,
Charles

Hi
Charles,

I'm very pleased to hear that you like my mod. The following image shows the wiring:

The whole thing(sorry the resolution is low as I couldn't find my camera , so I took the photo with my cellphone):

The valve:

The bottle(the connector can be bought in your local hardware store, you can also get it from ebay):

The following photos show how to charge gas into the bottle:

However, my software is not open source. I consider to release someparts of it, but so long it remains the property of the University.
Also, right now it needs some expert knowledge to make it run and to edit it :-)

But, recently I found a software called Roborealm that can achieve the same function, so I uploaded my software using roborealm API:

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/16301/Rovioian-Beta1-with-Src-...

or:

http://rovioian.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=30740

the same tech has been applied to my R2:

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/16101/DIY-my-own-R2-D2-multifu...

I also added Sick lazer range finder, pan-tilt camera into my R2 and now it can do SLAM and hyper particle filtering!

Video available:

http://depositfiles.com/en/files/v1s4aeyq4

Regards,

Colt45

jan
jan's picture
hi,this is jan. your project

hi,this is jan. your project is simply amazing.i am a third year elecronics engineering student. i am going to take this as my final year project.please give me some ideas.