Femisapien's Chest (That Little Purple Oval)

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
SeanF
SeanF's picture
Femisapien's Chest (That Little Purple Oval)

Not that I look at her chest too much, but I was wondering what that small oval shape is right in the middle. Just below the small hole for the microphone, there is a small oval of what looks to be transparent purple plastic. It looks like it should light up. Does anyone know what it is for, what is behind it, and if it is indeed transparent?

I was thinking I could put an LED behind it...

redstorm
redstorm's picture

yea, it is a led :) it lights up, but as its an infra-red led, you wont see the light :D
to be serious, it is used by femisapien to detect objects in front of her.

SeanF
SeanF's picture

Ah-ha! I would have thought that would be in her head. So in actual fact Femisapien's chest is looking at me, rather than the other way around!

I suppose a red LED would flood the IR too...

Thanks Redstorm. I still plan on replacing her wrist LEDs.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

SeanF said:
Ah-ha! I would have thought that would be in her head. So in actual fact Femisapien's chest is looking at me, rather than the other way around!
I suppose a red LED would flood the IR too...
Thanks Redstorm. I still plan on replacing her wrist LEDs.

Here is a photo of th inside chest with the IR LED connected to the main board.

Jax

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture

GWJax said:

SeanF said: Ah-ha! I would have thought that would be in her head. So in actual fact Femisapien's chest is looking at me, rather than the other way around! I suppose a red LED would flood the IR too... Thanks Redstorm. I still plan on replacing her wrist LEDs.

Here is a photo of th inside chest with the IR LED connected to the main board. Jax

You just HAD to get out that screwdriver, didn't you Luv! How long did you hold out before the screwdriver bug bit you?

Lady Donna

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Lady Dona, the Femi has been ripped down for over 2 to 3 months now, I'm writing up a rip-down article on her and taking my time with it. I'm getting all information about the board that I can before I finish up the article. Commander Pete has been waiting on this and has alot of the pictures of the process. So this picture was taken some time ago. I do alot of things in the back ground that others don't yet know but will in do time. Plus I have been reading problems about the Femi on the threads that others had posted but have not responded to because my Femi has never had batteries in her. But one thing I like is that on one leg of her's was equipped with a cut off fuse so that in case she has a short she will not catch fire like some of the older V2's have done in the past. As we see these bots evolve, WowWee had started to build them with safety features like this to protect our home's from a bot that tends to turn into the Terminator Killing Machine, LOL.

Jax

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

GWJax said:
But one thing I like is that on one leg of her's was equipped with a cut off fuse so that in case she has a short she will not catch fire like some of the older V2's have done in the past. As we see these bots evolve, WowWee had started to build them with safety features like this to protect our home's from a bot that tends to turn into the Terminator Killing Machine, LOL.
Jax

Actually, the V2 has a cut off fuse. The reason some people's V2's melted is because the fuse was placed to prevent frying the circuitry from excessive load. It was not placed to prevent a damage from a short in the battery wiring. I'd show you a photo, but my website is temporarily offline.

I don't know if FemiSapien would be susceptable to the same shorting as the V2, but if the batteries are split across both feet, and there is not a cut off fuse in BOTH feet, then it is as equally susceptable to melted wiring as the V2 (though hopefully not as susceptable to the faulty insulation).

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Nocturnal, My V2 does not have one on either power supply main or brain.. When you get your site up let me know so I can see where it is located and I'll double check my V2 but I don't remember seeing one..

Jax

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

:) Its going to take me a while to fix my site. Your looking in the wrong place.

That is a PTC fuse in what I think is the left foot. So, the left foot has some protection against shorts, the fuseless right foot on the other hand...

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture

If there is no PTC fuse in the right foot, could one be installed?

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture

GWJax said: Lady Dona, the Femi has been ripped down for over 2 to 3 months now, I'm writing up a rip-down article on her and taking my time with it. I'm getting all information about the board that I can before I finish up the article. Commander Pete has been waiting on this and has alot of the pictures of the process. So this picture was taken some time ago. I do alot of things in the back ground that others don't yet know but will in do time. Plus I have been reading problems about the Femi on the threads that others had posted but have not responded to because my Femi has never had batteries in her. But one thing I like is that on one leg of her's was equipped with a cut off fuse so that in case she has a short she will not catch fire like some of the older V2's have done in the past. As we see these bots evolve, WowWee had started to build them with safety features like this to protect our home's from a bot that tends to turn into the Terminator Killing Machine, LOL. Jax

Perhaps she has been ripped down for that long, but I bet you could not wait to get the screwdriver out and take it to her as soon as you had her out of the box!

We are all the same here. We can not wait to see what makes a thing tick!

SeanF
SeanF's picture

GWJax said: Here is a photo of th inside chest with the IR LED connected to the main board. Jax

Brilliant, thanks GWjax. I can see there is little chance to share the bezel with another LED. I suspected this, having seen that IR LED dangling from the mainboard in a shot I found on the net by "Robotgrrl".

It would be nice to have an "on" LED though, seeing as how they didn't give her eyes. Does anyone know if the power switch is only that? I mean, does it simply disconnect the batteries? If so I might think about adding an LED somewhere. I'll underdrive the LED, just so its bright enough to see. I don't tend to ever leave her on, and 10 mA or so when she was wouldn't drain the batteries significantly.

Shai Alyt NEMO
Shai Alyt NEMO's picture

Here you can see my approach to modding Femi (so far).

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/14526/Femisapien-mods-Let-s-the-fun-begin/ 

For now are completed:

1. Wrist LEDs replacement (Red->(Ultra)Violet ).

2. Blue LED eyes (as power indicators, with brightness varying on her voice level).

3. Microphone amplifier (to be able to "talk" with her in normal voice from around a room).

For future are planned:

1. Audio inlet (and possible, the audio amplifier and speaker replacement) for ability to act as a loudspeaker (with blinking eyes) for external audio source.

2. External (AC/DC) power inlet and voltage regulators for +6 and +3.3v (possibly, in legs near her "shoes").

3. (Half-dream) - an ability to be "pseudo-IR" controlled from PC program via sound card (one of stereo audio channels - for "voice" and another - for "pseudo-IR" data). The goal is to make her (in "wired mode") act like a "real" (not on-screen) desktop companion or chatterbot.

But for now future is somehow postponed due to some real-life problems...

SeanF
SeanF's picture

Looks good Shai Alyt NEMO. I was thinking about using UV LEDs too, seeing as how the purple color suits her color scheme. I was worried they wouldn't be bright enough though, so I've ordered some pink ones. I think they should have given her eyes though.

I think your half-dream is a brilliant idea, except I would convert her to more direct control. If you could control her via PC, combined with passing audio through, imagine the possibilities! Hook her up to some text-to-speech and she could read the morning news to you. Then you could tie certain words to scripted movements, as in, "[local team] wins!" [wins := both_arms_up]. I would HAPPILY replace my Femisapiens mainboard with a USB interface. Maybe even a wi-fi board... The possibilities are endless.

SeanF
SeanF's picture

SeanF said: I still plan on replacing her wrist LEDs.

Done! Details with photo in hacks and mods section.