Rovio firmware 5.00 (stable) and Rovio Software for PC 1.8.8.3 (stable)

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Michelle C
Michelle C's picture
Rovio firmware 5.00 (stable) and Rovio Software for PC 1.8.8.3 (stable)

Hi all,

Check out the latest stable Rovio firmware (v.5.00) and stable Rovio Software (v.1.8.8.3) (for PC).

There have been numerous updates from the previous stable versions of each utility. 

Some major changes for the Rovio 5.00 firmware (from v.3.97) include:

• New WPA and WPA2 support (NOTE: does not support WPA2 Enterprise encryption)
  • New UPnP support
  • Enhanced stability
  • Added online status indicator
  • Faster loading

-------------

Changes from v5.00b10 to v5.00 Updates
---------------------------------------------------------------
- Updates to help script and terms.

-------------

Some major changes for the Rovio Software for PC include:

• Enhanced stability
  • Text updates
  • Updated GUI
  • Resolved issues with the updater utility 

Feel free to leave some feedback on these new versions.

dsr300
dsr300's picture

Hi!

I have set up my new rovio on friday last week with 5.0 and the 1.8.8.3 installer. every thing works fine. good beacon readability, path is working good except some time a program a path its not recorded acurat, so recoding again and it works. rovio is docking in 9 of 10 times well. before i shut down the browser, i wait a minute fpr the charging sign. sometime when rovio is not sitting well on the dock and charging is not starting, i drive him manualy out an in again ... this helps every time. (otherwise he run out of energy and is no longer adressable).

(We have a cat. yesterday when i used rovio to watch down the stairs, waiting for my girlfriend, the cat is sitting side by side with rovio and wahtching allso down the stairs. the cat has no fear!! its a fun!!!)

Can someone tell me where i can get room beacons!!! Many user are talking about, disasenbling it, testing it. Where can i get one (or three)? Dos not mather where on earth, every country is welcome ;-)

greetings, mike

mindchatter
mindchatter's picture

Hi guys. My Rovio is only a few weeks old and other than the wheel alignment not being to straight, it works pretty good. Should I still update the firmware?

thank you, Jerry

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

dsr300 said: Can someone tell me where i can get room beacons!!! Many user are talking about, disasenbling it, testing it. Where can i get one (or three)? Dos not mather where on earth, every country is welcome ;-)
greetings, mike

Here it is Mike http://www.esend.com/WowWee/Products.aspx?Catalog=WowWee&ProductID=8333(Esend)

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

Looks like WowWee is still out of these beacons...

dCon0ne
dCon0ne's picture

OK, I'm confused.... The Software link points to Version 1.6.4????????????

denodan
denodan's picture

I did get the message there is an update, so decided to go from 5.0010b to 5.00. My findings are smoother preformance, seems I can have video at a sightly better resoultion. Docks home better, but want is the use of selling extra true
track becons if Rovio cannot still record paths.

Rovio is still hopless at recording paths. I had one or 2 work, but appears they either don't work or they do sort of, but results seem random, so totally useless are far as I am concerned, yet what I want to know is why does Rovio find home all the time, but cannot do paths.

Seems to buy any extra becons is a con. I was concidering getting extra becons but whats the point if Rovio cannot even keep a track.

If anyone has managed to make this feature work then tell us how you manage it, because reading here seems most Rovios the record path feature is a waste of time.

When are Rovio going to attend to this very serious problem and get it working for us.

amodedoma
amodedoma's picture

Way to go Michelle! Glad to hear about the UPnP support, if properly implemented, you could save network newbie's alot of stress. I'm nervous about flashing though. In my case everything seems to work fine and I come from the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' camp.

denodan - yeah noticed the same, probrably has to do with the way they're sampling the NS data. If you navigate to the GetReport command in the API you see that by reloading the page without moving the rovio the NS system produces continous slight variations. The system would be more precise if more sampling were done but the trade off might be overtaxing the arm processor - especially if the Arm is doing the audio and video streaming. Hopefully Wowwee will be able to optimize the programming - so far so good with updates. I'm optimistic.

Rob
Rob's picture

This update really helped a video latency issue I was having, it's much much improved from the previous beta. I'm still having problems with Quicktime -- the video freezes almost immediately every time I try it, and the audio has a long delay. Note that I'm on a Mac.

travfar
travfar's picture

Well.. I updated to this a couple of days ago. Not good. Under 4.09B, I was hands free for about 2 months. With this version, my Rovio keeps locking up. I do like the WPA and the video latency is much better but I rather have the reliability. I'm thinking about going back.

Rob
Rob's picture

Funny, I had no latency or lock-up issues with 4.09b...

Leebo
Leebo's picture

@ dsr300

As far as room beacons go...there are apparently 2 types: 60hz and 50hz. I ordered a couple of these beacons and was accidentally sent a 50hz beacon (which doesn't work). I suspect that depending on where you are on the planet, you need a specific beacon type.

If you (or anyone else) need a 50hz beacon and find yourself in central Florida (visiting the Mouse House perhaps?), you can have the beacon sitting in my closet.

slippery
slippery's picture

@Leebo......interesting. Never thought about that! I live in Denamrk but bought my Rovio from the States. It`s probably on 60Hz which would explain a lot about Path problems since we`re on 50Hz.

If we can find a sensible postage price and you can be bothered, I would like to buy your beacon. What say you? I really really wish I was passing Florida - especially at this time of year :o(

dCon0ne
dCon0ne's picture

Has anyone tried to save the "HOME" position, with Ver. 5.00(stable????)????
I tried and the first time that I did, Rovio was not quite finished Docking. Well when I hit the OK to save the setting. I got another message, stating that the setting could not be saved at this time, which made sence.

So, I waited, till the Docking was finished, and tried again. When I clicked on the OK, to save the position. Rovio drove off the dock and went thru the routine to re-Dock again. I never got a messaage that the Home location was saved successfully.

I cycled the power to Rovio, and waited, then tried again. I got the same thing. Rovio drove off the dock and re-Docked, with no message that the location was saved.

If I drive Rovio around and tell it to Go Home, it does, with no issues. But, now I'm afraid to move the Dock, because I might loose the Home Position...

dsr300
dsr300's picture

I run 5.00 (stable) since one week (new rovio) and stored the home position several times, because i changed the dock position. storing and docking works fine.
greetings, mike

denodan
denodan's picture

Mine runs fine also. No problems encountered with Home postion. Just wished they got the paths fixed. Rovio still does not follow paths, or do the path you saved.

It seems to follow some path, but not how it shows in WoWee videos, seems either all over the place to get to the path you saved or does not do the path you saved, seems random somehow?

Leebo
Leebo's picture

Leebo said:
@ dsr300
As far as room beacons go...there are apparently 2 types: 60hz and 50hz. I ordered a couple of these beacons and was accidentally sent a 50hz beacon (which doesn't work). I suspect that depending on where you are on the planet, you need a specific beacon type.
If you (or anyone else) need a 50hz beacon and find yourself in central Florida (visiting the Mouse House perhaps?), you can have the beacon sitting in my closet.

I've gotten several inquiries about the 50Hz beacon. I'm trying to find it...unfortunately, I think it may have been thrown out as it's not in my closet where I last remember it. My wife is traveling, so I have to wait to speak with her to find out.

slippery
slippery's picture

Maybe your wife took it with her so she can find her way home?

tclaridge
tclaridge's picture

The 5.00 (stable) firmware solved the audio transmit problem when using a port other than 80! yea!

Magge
Magge's picture

The online status indicator, is it only the led indicator on top of Rovio that we are speaking about?
Is there no way to see who is logged on to Rovio when you give out diffrent passwords?

slippery
slippery's picture

Everything is going better for me with the stable V5. So far I haven`t been thrown off-line (although I have lost video a few times - re-booting Rovio remotely solves that). Even though I loose video, i know everything else is still working as I can drive and navigate using my auxiliary cam.

Audio works (or not works) same as before. After first connecting up, seems to be full volume even though both mic and speaker levels are all the way down. If I then turn them up and then down again, I can mute them both.

The lag time has been greatly reduced (seems to vary from time to time but generally much better.)

Docking works great - as it did before.

This is so much better.

mindchatter
mindchatter's picture

I've downloaded and installed stable 5 a few times and it will not allow my access through the internet. When I revert back to the orig firmware all works well...what gives? P.S. wheres a rovio driver compatible with the blackberry storm. the one bbrovio made does not work with the storm = (

epyon
epyon's picture

I upgraded to 5.00 stable a week ago and since my Rovio won' charge when its on the dock. No flashing lights, just solid lights until powers off. I need to run setup on it buy its not going so well since it keeps powering down seconds after I turn it on.

Eddie
Eddie's picture

OMG thank you SOOOO MUCH.... using the 5.0 stable the auto dock feature finally works... i have tried all the firmwares and this is the first firmware that seems to have a functioning autodock feature....!!!!!

all we need now is more camera positions and this rovio is good to go!!

thanks again for the hard work!
Eddie

ptr727
ptr727's picture

A coworker just showed me Rovio, this would make a great office toy!

But, this means we need WPA2 Enterprise (PEAP) support, or, if not WPA2 Enterprise, then IPSec VPN support.

I note from the release notes WPA2 Enterprise is not supported, any idea if / when it will be supported?