New issue Rovio spins eternally

157 posts / 0 new
Last post
cyborg
cyborg's picture

Thanx Denodan that was helpful. For the heck of the wow factor Wowee must dissect the problem and ofter a solution. Rovio is a great piece of machinery and also reflects on the company. So do the defects. I'd buy the next gadget knowing for a fact that the support is here to stay. For the time Rovio is Brokio.

cyborg
cyborg's picture

Any photos/tutorial on how to disconnect the senseless sensors would be appreciated. I'll be back.\

polex
polex's picture

Does anybody knows the photo-transistor and photo-diode part number?

Damon
Damon's picture

Mine did the exact same thing with a slight difference.

Upgraded software and POOF.. the blue direction buttons kept it spinning on the floor continously... I lifted it off the ground.... and the front two wheels spin... the back does not.... if you press any other button it stops spinning.. Then press another blue direction dot... and the back wheel spins a bit.. but again.. the fron wheels just spin and spin... (this WAS a firmware change for 100% sure)... I put back in the old firmware and it didn't go away.. I do not believe this was a coincidence... Doesn't work after powering off.. doesn't work by setting it overnight... just like a switch... uploaded firmware and it didn't work right ever again.. I believe it was the 5.03 when it happened... but just like all the others.. it finds home and tracks fine. I pulled it apart to see if there were any loose wires or plugs.. or dust... didn't see anything of interest.

HELP!!.. I think the hardware is fine honestly. I really think its firmware/software issue some how.

cowboyctx
cowboyctx's picture

One of mine did what yours did after the upgrade. I agree that there is some issue with the firmware, but the only fix is to replace the encoder. You can down grade but it will never work again until you replace the encoders.

Damon
Damon's picture

Maybe they are overdriving the sensors?? Seems like things fail prematurely if over driven (too much voltage?).... not sure. Just a guess. Is there a way to tell if the optics are being overdriven and burning out? How do we test this? They are just counting correct? If they don't have anything todo with tracking or going home then why did they spend all that cash to install them?? What else do they do besides do a calucated manual turn? Doesn't seem right.

Pages