I decided to build my own robot and did!

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
LOLGeek
LOLGeek's picture
I decided to build my own robot and did!

I was thinking about buying wowwee robots and programming them but it just wouldnt give me the freedom I wanted. So I decided to build my own robot. His name is Jasper and you can check him out here! http://letsmakerobots.com/node/4676 and Stevie is my solar roller can be found here: http://letsmakerobots.com/node/4614

I never thought I could build my own... lol I am learning more and more about electronics and circuits from this site. http://www.letsmakerobots.com is awesome. I am on it most everyday! So if you have time go check out Jasper and Stevie there is video and pictures of them both. 

I also have a site up http://www.lolgeek.net

Keep up the great community guys!

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

I am very impressed! Awsome robots. cant wait to see what else you come up with. Great work.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Great bots, and great link to a site I hadn't seen before. Thanks!

Currahee
Currahee's picture

cool!!!!!

Chris 22
Chris 22's picture

Very interesting work! I think it took a lot of time.

Grandlarseny37
Grandlarseny37's picture

Great website and nice projects!

LOLGeek
LOLGeek's picture

yes it has taken some time... :) I am close to having Stevie and Jasper done to a point. I am going to start a new project next week also. When I get my order from Canada. :P I get most of my parts from there.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Nice Job LOLGeek!! I love Jasper and that is the first time I have seen a tilt pan assembly like yours with that combination setup. Just add some side IR detector to him so he does not hit the walls when the Ping))) can not see them so he can avoid the walls better in tight areas.

Also the Ping))) sensing for an object worked good for the first few times until he started to move and then had trouble re detecting the object. Is this just a small program error or are you still testing this routine out?

Keep the great bots comming and thanks for the link as well...

Jax

Chris 22
Chris 22's picture

I hope your order arrives on schedule!
I`m looking forward to see new projects from you.

We shall see. ;o)

Greetings

LOLGeek
LOLGeek's picture

GWJax said:
Nice Job LOLGeek!! I love Jasper and that is the first time I have seen a tilt pan assembly like yours with that combination setup. Just add some side IR detector to him so he does not hit the walls when the Ping))) can not see them so he can avoid the walls better in tight areas.
Also the Ping))) sensing for an object worked good for the first few times until he started to move and then had trouble re detecting the object. Is this just a small program error or are you still testing this routine out?
Keep the great bots comming and thanks for the link as well...
Jax

Ya I am still testing my code. I code in Java and C# and some C. The Picaxe is done in Picaxe BASIC and I havent done basic since I was 12 years old. lol I have both Stevie and Jasper as works in progress. I am going to be adding prolly 3 IR sensors to him for better detection in tight corners. I still need to program him to back up and detect edges with his SRF05 (Sonic sensor). I could do this with Phototransistors kinda like a line sensor bot. I am fiddling with him so he will prolly always be a work in progress. But it is fun. I enjoy it alot. They also have a .NET microcontroller that I will start working with. I have an idea on a program to make a bot learn and be able to use what he learns to say like pick something up with a little arm. I hope to be at that point before 2010. I am still learning circuits and how to make them. :P I will keep all of you updated on my progress. :D

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Great to hear that LOLGeek, When you start making the AI learning part make sure you have a lot of memory to record the learning structure that you will use or just connect it through a bluetooth connection or RF connection so the computer can do the number crunching needed for this action. Have fun with it and I hope you get it done by 2010 or sooner hehe.

Jax

LOLGeek
LOLGeek's picture

GWJax said:
Great to hear that LOLGeek, When you start making the AI learning part make sure you have a lot of memory to record the learning structure that you will use or just connect it through a bluetooth connection or RF connection so the computer can do the number crunching needed for this action. Have fun with it and I hope you get it done by 2010 or sooner hehe.
Jax

Ya I am gonna start with a 4 gig (maybe 8 gig) flash drive connected to the microcontroller. Once I get the learning part done, if I need more space I will add WiFi to him or maybe xbee to use a partition on my computer for space. :)

GWJax
GWJax's picture

LOLGeek said:

GWJax said: Great to hear that LOLGeek, When you start making the AI learning part make sure you have a lot of memory to record the learning structure that you will use or just connect it through a bluetooth connection or RF connection so the computer can do the number crunching needed for this action. Have fun with it and I hope you get it done by 2010 or sooner hehe. Jax

Ya I am gonna start with a 4 gig (maybe 8 gig) flash drive connected to the microcontroller. Once I get the learning part done, if I need more space I will add WiFi to him or maybe xbee to use a partition on my computer for space. :)

Nice let us know how it goes with that. 8 gigs may be enough but it all depends on your structure of data collection and how large your program will be. I know My Elvinator Project needs a computer to do the number crunching and a fast response to voice reconition to compile an artifical brain to make all desisions before he talks and moves, plus learning new phrases as he learns.

Jax