NEW ROVIO SOFTWARE .BEWARE

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
Me
Me's picture

Dug out my rovio from a two year retirement. I got it connected after many tries. Timing seems to be critical. Make sure you follow instructions to a T and use the latest software off their site.

vinnie
vinnie's picture

If Rovio isn't connected to the network it should show up as a Wireless access point. Any PC or MAC can connect to it using ad-hoc Wireless WiFi.

You will need to manually set the PC WiFi address as detailed in the manual, but that will allow you to get to the Rovio webserver in a browser window.

Redeye
Redeye's picture

I have tried every thing,nothing works. need step by step instructions.Rovio may be broke internally.If anybody has any ideals,e-mail me at Redeye549@live.com,please.

Redeye
Redeye's picture

and to answer cowboyctx,I know and got 2 friends to come over and try to set up rovio.Both went to school to learn and program computers.Both could not get rovio to connect,but I won't give up.I delete and start over again and again. Step by Step

Boykiko
Boykiko's picture

hi Reeye what operating system on your computer is running?
mac or windows?

Redeye
Redeye's picture

desktop is windows XP-laptop is windows 7-tried both & all usb ports

Redeye
Redeye's picture

I have a new rovio.I do not want to take a chance on hooking up this one wrong.can somebody help,please.

vinnie
vinnie's picture

It really just requires that you follow the manual, especially with Windows XP. Pay attention to the instructions about turning the Rovio on and off.

Another way to do it is with the WiFi setup using AdHoc. That's also covered in the Rovio manual.

rlt1975
rlt1975's picture

I just took my Rovio out of 4 years in storage and tried to install it on my Windows 7 PC. As you all know Windows 7 will not install Rovio's XP/Vista drivers. It simply will not work.

If anyone cares, the ONLY way to setup Rovio using Windows 7 or Windows 8 will require you to download and install Windows Virutal PC on any Windows 7 or 8 PC.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3702

If you have Windows 7 Professional or greater you can download Windows XP Mode directly and save a few steps.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002

Once you are running Windows XP Virtual PC on your Windows 7 or 8 PC you can install the Rovio software, run it and connect Rovio and the setup will work. Too bad Internet Explorer 9 or 10 will not load the live video ActiveX Control either. You'll have to download Rovio Direct or another program or maybe use a different browser.

PS: If you run XP Mode, after you install the Rovio software and run it and connect Rovio via USB you'll have to click the USB drop down in the top left of the screen and click attach or Rovio will not be found. This is important. Unless you do this it will not be found.

vinnie
vinnie's picture

Thanks for tip on XP mode. I had not seen that before.

I have had success with Win 7 and AdHoc wireless connection. However it does require a factory reset of the Rovio.

I have also had success and failure with active-x on Windows 7. I have no idea why it worked on the first PC and failed on the second. It might be an issue with the Wowwee web site, since that's where the plug-in lives.

rlt1975
rlt1975's picture

Were you using 32bit Windows 7? My 64bit PCs wouldn't recognize Rovio when connected. Also wouldn't recognize any of the Wowwee Rovio drivers. XP Mode was the only way it would work on my 64bit computers.

vinnie
vinnie's picture

Both were 64 bit. But I didn't say I plugged them in using the USB cable. All my connections were over WiFi - either AdHoc or using the router after being configured.

Pages