Alpha Blackberry Rovio Client

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
bbrovio
bbrovio's picture
Alpha Blackberry Rovio Client

Hello all,
I use a blackberry and was disappointed that I could not control my Rovio with it.
So as an experiment I created a native Blackberry Client.

DOWNLOAD VERION 0.1 HERE:
http://www.robocommunity.com/download/15188/BBRovio-Alpha-V0.1/

UPDATE DOWNLOAD VERSION 0.11 HERE:
http://www.robocommunity.com/download/file/15470-117

UPDATE DOWNLOAD SOURCE CODE HERE:
http://www.robocommunity.com/download/file/15471-118

Instructions:
1) Extract the archive to a webserver
2) edit the .jad file to update the URL to the cod files
eg add your info to the RIM-COD-URL and RIM-COD-URL-1
3) Add a link from your site to the JAD file
4) Navigate your BB browser to the link and install

IMPORTANT: I am not a skilled BB developer, this app is not signed, use at your own risk.
It works fine on my sprint 8830, OS 4.5 but should be fine on curve, pearl and 4.3 OS.

USAGE:
1) Menu->Settings..-> EDIT YOUR ROVIO URL, MENU->Close
2) From the main screen, EDIT->Start Video
3) Commands:
Rot Left: h
FWD: j
BACK:k
Rot Right:l
Go Home: p
Head Up: q
Head Mid: a
Head Dwn: z
Space: update image

Notes:
* Only tested with BES, theoretically should work with non BES, but may need to add ";deviceside=true" to the end of your URL to enable direct TCP (I cant test this)

* After initial installation and start, rovio goes to back ground just launch again to bring to top, this only happens after initial install.

* There is almost no error detection

If I get time I'll add more commands,

MrScott
MrScott's picture
Check out the Downloads
bbrovio
bbrovio's picture
Thanks for the info, the

Thanks for the info, the client can be downloaded here:

http://www.robocommunity.com/download/file/15188-104

Thanks MrScott

roschler
roschler's picture
@bbrovio,

@bbrovio,

How's the video, smooth? Also, what is the Internet backbone here (provider)? That is, what network access route to Blackberry users use, if iPhone users use AT&T's 3G network?

-- roschler

bbrovio
bbrovio's picture
the "Video" is a few to

the "Video" is a few to several frames per second, on an evdo1x (3g - sprint) connection. Its enough to easily control the bot. However, the real limit at this point is not bandwidth per-se, At present I am just requesting a new jpeg image one by one, so the limiting factor in frame rate is really the http request-response delay between pictures. When I get time I'll figure out how to decode the mjpeg stream which should improve the video as this eliminates the request for each image.

Blackberry has 2 main network paths that I know of ... BES and DirectTCP, both use the carriers underlying technology, 3G(evdo,umts) or EDGE,GPRS etc.

BES is usually if your BB is through a company and connected to exchange. This works as its how I am connected.
Without BES, you are supposed to use a connection url (under settings) of "your_Rovio_address:your_rovio_port;deviceside=true"
This also requires your APN is set up for the blackberry, this is under Options-Advanced->TCP, Cant help on the APN settings as this is carrier and plan dependent - but its most likely already set.
hope that helps

addertay
addertay's picture
This is great news... Just

This is great news... Just got my Rovio a couple of days ago and own a Storm ( may have to use compat mode for the controls) Im on BIS so ill give it a test ( wont be able to test till Monday when im back home to load the program)

Thanks for all your work.

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture
This is great - I just

This is great - I just published the application and it should now be accessible by all members. I also added the instructions in with the download.

Can anyone post some screenshots of the program running on a BlackBerry? (I'm on an iPhone, and don't know anyone with a BB, so I can't help unfortunately!)

Thanks again for your contribution. Remember that you can update the download with newer versions as the application moves forward. You can also indicate version numbers in the download so you can post multiple downloads/versions of the same program!

Pete

cowboycctx
cowboycctx's picture
Anyone get it to install yet?

Anyone get it to install yet?
I get
HTTP Error 406: Not Acceptable

The page you are trying to load is not supported by the browser.......

I'm using a Sprint 8330 and BES.

I changed these two URL's in the JAD files.

RIM-COD-URL-1: http://24.155.196.19:8085/share/BBRovio-1.cod

RIM-COD-URL: http://24.155.196.19:8085/share/BBRovio.cod

bbrovio
bbrovio's picture
Thats all I had to change int

Thats all I had to change int the JAD to make it install (the JAD is created by the dev environment). The 406 error sounds like an issue between the webserver and the browser, maybey some permissions or config ont he webserver side ?? I am by no means an expert on the COD install process, so if there are any changes problems I am happy to correct. I have used the following process with an SD card for other apps, see link maybey that helps.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&...

bbrovio
bbrovio's picture
some one requested some snaps

some one requested some snaps, here ya go. tried to capture the main items, its a pretty basic app so there is not much to show :)

View of the Launch Screen/IconInitial Start ScreenSettings ScreenVideo Snap after hitting rotate

cowboycctx
cowboycctx's picture
bbrovio said: Thats all I had

bbrovio said: Thats all I had to change int the JAD to make it install (the JAD is created by the dev environment). The 406 error sounds like an issue between the webserver and the browser, maybey some permissions or config ont he webserver side ?? I am by no means an expert on the COD install process, so if there are any changes problems I am happy to correct. I have used the following process with an SD card for other apps, see link maybey that helps. http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&messa...

You were correct.  I had to set up the MIME Types on my web server.

jad = text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor

.jar = application/java-archive

.cod = application/vnd.rim.cod

Works now.  I noticed that it does not save my ip address. 

You are off to a great start.  Keep working on it.....

bbrovio
bbrovio's picture
Thats Great glad its working.

Thats Great glad its working.
You are correct, the IP address is not stored, I have to sort out the bb persistance api's. Currently I trying to get MJPEG stream to work, which should hopefully improve the video, then add some commands for choosing recorded paths. My guess is I'll fix the persistance thing as I am annoyed to reenter my IP as well !
Thanks for the feedback, hopefully i'll have an update this weekend.

Weathrman
Weathrman's picture
A newb needs a little help.

A newb needs a little help. How do I install this? I tried to go to http://www.robocommunity.com/download/file/15188-104 from my 8310 on ATT. I get an error. "The item you selected cannot be displayed. Would you like to save?" If I say yes it gives me a successful message, but nothing else happens. What is the trick here? Thanks.

bbrovio
bbrovio's picture
Weatherman - The file on

Weatherman - The file on robocommunity download site is an archive of the install files. I dont know if i can host the actual OTA files and have them work or not.
earlier in this post, I describe the basic steps to place these on a webserver.
Also you can extract the archive, copy the JAD, and COD files to a SD card. Then (strange as this is) Via Media player menu choose explore filesystem option, and select the jad file, it should install.

bbrovio
bbrovio's picture
UPDATE: I have working code

UPDATE: I have working code for mjpeg. but I'm chasing down some weird behavior with Blackberry API's namely that..

1) opening an MJPEG stream requires (eg only works) via direct TCP (deviceside=true qualifier set in the url)
2) opening a JPEG stream requires MDS (eg deviceside=false or nothing set in the url).
3) I rewrote using a direct socket connection and manually processing http this gets further

I am pretty certain its a BB APIs not liking something coming back from Rovio, even the HTTP demo code supplied by BB fails exactly the same way. I dont have another mjpeg stream to test against

If anyone has any advice or could offer some I'd appreciate it.

addertay
addertay's picture
I managed to install from the

I managed to install from the card but so far im not able to get any video. This could be as im on BIS ( added the ";deviceside=true")

Is it possibly as i have a user and password on my rovio? I tried the http://username:password@ipaddress:port;deviceside=true and that also didnt seem to work for me.

It also could be as i have a Storm running in compat mode but the program does launch and pressing keys gives a HTTP error but does then say " head up" etc.

bbrovio
bbrovio's picture
addertay, thanks for testing,

addertay, thanks for testing, I took a look to see what could be happening found the problem, I'm inserting the deviceside=true in the wrong place...just silly stupid on my part. Dont know what I was thinking, I need to add a separate field for the "qualifiers" on the config screen so I can append it to the end of the url. This will be fixed soon. Sorry for the confusion.

addertay
addertay's picture
Thanks bbrovio. Ill keep an

Thanks bbrovio. Ill keep an eye out on the thread. Ill only be able to test basic head up mid and down as the Storm uses suretype and the J/K keys are the same. That will prob throw the rovio a little crazy if i try to drive it.

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture
The downloads have been

The downloads have been posted on the community and are now live. Have fun everybody and let us know how bbrovio's new updates are working for you!

Pete

mindchatter
mindchatter's picture
Still does not work with the

Still does not work with the storm. I worked with a guy last night that has an iphone 3G and he downloaded the driver... It worked great, but that only works over wifi.... Man I want it for the storm

Weathrman
Weathrman's picture
So I'm just wondering...are

So I'm just wondering...are there any special settings that need to be made to the Rovio settings? I have no problem accessing my rovio on my home network, or via remote access. However, I do notice on the Rovio access screen that I always have a message "failed to open port." So I was just wondering if for this program if there is anything special needed to be changed in Rovio settings.

With the Blackberry Rovio App I am able to connect with the Rovio, but I get no video or navigation. If I just try to connect to the remote rovio access page via my blackberry browser app I can get the page, but same result, no video or navigation.

mindchatter
mindchatter's picture
Need a version for the storm.

Need a version for the storm. Just does not work with it.

mindchatter
mindchatter's picture
still nothing for the

still nothing for the blackberry storm?

Nic350
Nic350's picture
.10 Works fine on my Storm 2

.10 Works fine on my Storm 2 but .11 doesnt. Same symptoms as everyone else with the Storm.

I have tried various things with no luck. $20 paypal if someone can help me get it working. I'm sure I wont be the only one interested.

socket
socket's picture
Cool app, but yeah a native

Cool app, but yeah a native Storm app would be sweet.

Nic350
Nic350's picture
I am picking up this project

I am picking up this project from BBRovio, who is no longer working on it. The Storm and Storm2 seem to have issues with streaming video (at least the way WE want it to). I have found that the Storm2 (probably both) supports the RTSP protocol. I am experimenting with getting that to work and trying to get streaming of either h263 or mp4 working through the browser, hopefully with AMR audio support too.

As a note, I too have never developed on the blackberry platform, but I do have an extensive background with Java programming. My time available to work on this is limited though. Wish me luck! My goal is to build something good enough for wowwee to consider as the official client.

Mrwill
Mrwill's picture
Mrwill said: I got this to

Mrwill said: I got this to work externally without a BES server..but how can I enable authentication?

--Response from other thread

Authentication doesnt appear to be supported in the client. I even checked the code. It doesnt seem to support the http://user:pass@url/ format either.

mikeysweet
mikeysweet's picture
Hey Nic350,

Hey Nic350,
I have a BB Curve 8530 and can't seem to install this app.
I first uploaded the files to my webserver but everytime I hit the .jad file, the browser just shows me the text within it.

I then read that I might be able to install it through the SD card. So I dropped every version available in their own folders and tried each one individually.

Without altering any files, I keep getting the same error:
907 Invalid JAR Descriptor missing required attribute: MIDlet-1

When I look at the .jad file, this is all I have for MIDlet-1:
MIDlet-1: ,,

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Nicolas E.
Nicolas E.'s picture
I was just passing by the

I was just passing by the tread for blackberry resources and saw your problems about this.
First, for setting up OTA, you need to allow your apache to accept "AllowOverride".
Then in the folder you put the .cod and .jad file, create a .htaccess file containing the following lines:
AddType text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor .jad
AddType application/vnd.rim.cod .cod

Finally, if necessary, launch in shell ( or through unzipper ) unzip file.cod. It is usually compressed.
All my secrets ;)

I'm interested by this app as my friend has a Rovio. Also on a developper point of view the mjpeg stream is interesting.
Contact me if you need any help.

Regards,
Nicolas.

Nicolas E.
Nicolas E.'s picture
I was just passing by the

I was just passing by the tread for blackberry resources and saw your problems about this.
First, for setting up OTA, you need to allow your apache to accept "AllowOverride".
Then in the folder you put the .cod and .jad file, create a .htaccess file containing the following lines:
AddType text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor .jad
AddType application/vnd.rim.cod .cod

Finally, if necessary, launch in shell ( or through unzipper ) unzip file.cod. It is usually compressed.
All my secrets ;)

I'm interested by this app as my friend has a Rovio. Also on a developper point of view the mjpeg stream is interesting.
Contact me if you need any help.

Regards,
Nicolas.