I did it !!! The unrecoverable Rovio !!!

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
cmilian
cmilian's picture
I did it !!! The unrecoverable Rovio !!!

I updated the firmware and since it was lagging I went back to 4.09b. It worked, I did ad-hoc connection. Changed the IP and put my wireless security number. Rebooted the rovio and I cant see him no longer. I am trying to connect the rovio via USB but my computer does not find the Rovio 1.0 USB driver. HEEELLLP !!!!

ps. I am running Vista 64 Bit.

cowboycctx
cowboycctx's picture
I had this happen too. What

I had this happen too. What worked for me was I turned off the Rovio, plugged in USB turned on Rovio until the computer saw it as a drive that needed to be formated (repeated this many times). Once you see it as a drive, unplug USB (DO NOT turn of Rovio) and plug back in and run setup software.

Good luck, hope it works for you.

Let us know if it does.

cmilian
cmilian's picture
I got it to work on my other

I got it to work on my other Vista Machine.

Thanks for your reply.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture
Was the other Vista machine

Was the other Vista machine 64bit as well?

cmilian
cmilian's picture
No the other was 32 bit.

No the other was 32 bit.

E-Jungman
E-Jungman's picture
I was under the impression

I was under the impression that the driver was not compatible with vista x64.
In vista x64 all drivers need specific approvals and driver signing.
Even if you turn drivers signing off it wont pick the rovio 1.0 driver. Due to vista architecture.

The win x32 driver allows variabeles to be written directly to the hardware. x64 does not allow that anymore. (layerd)

My best guess that it has to do something with this.

cmilian
cmilian's picture
Could it be extracted from

Could it be extracted from Vista 32 bit and installed on 64 bit? There are a whol lot of other 32 bit srivers that work.

roschler
roschler's picture
That's interesting. I haven

That's interesting. I haven't heard much talk about 32 vs. 64 bit regarding Windows 7 beta, Vista's successor. I wonder what the story is with Windows 7?

travfar
travfar's picture
Probably the same with W7.

Probably the same with W7. It's a lack of a 64 bit driver problem. I did try to graph the driver over from XP but it didn't work. It could be the driver is really 16 bits and you can't thunk a 16 bit driver in x64.

plu
plu's picture
I just had the same problem

I just had the same problem happen to me. The power lite does nothing. My PC can not detect/connect to the Rovio via USB. It is completely bricked.

cmilian
cmilian's picture
plu, the only way to do it is

plu, the only way to do it is with a Vista 32 bit, or xp Machine. what are you running?

plu
plu's picture
cmilian said: plu, the only

cmilian said: plu, the only way to do it is with a Vista 32 bit, or xp Machine. what are you running?

Sorry for the late reply.  This was 32 bit XP Pro machine.  I downloaded the firmware updater tool connected via USB and all is well.  That tool is a real life saver and should have been available from the begining. 

Rovio is now running great.  Never better.

scoottle
scoottle's picture
I just got my Rovio and went

I just got my Rovio and went to update the firmware, it locked up and now its totaly dead. using XP pro. It does not give a orange or green light anymore, but go on or off by the button. Follow the procedures and it does not see the robot, it also is not regnising the "BIN" file for the firmware.

Help me Obi-Wans!!

scoottle

E-Jungman
E-Jungman's picture
Hmm now that seems like

Hmm now that seems like either the battery is dead, or the power supply unit ???

Pali
Pali's picture
Win7 32 bit dont work yet...

Win7 32 bit dont work yet...

KingofPain
KingofPain's picture
Has there been any luck with

Has there been any luck with a recovery tool? My Rovio has a similar issue to some of the others described here... the power buttons turns it on and off, but it never goes green. Rovio setup doesn't see, and if I power it up with the rovio connected, Windows wants to format it.

cowboyctx
cowboyctx's picture
KingofPain said: Has there

KingofPain said: Has there been any luck with a recovery tool? My Rovio has a similar issue to some of the others described here... the power buttons turns it on and off, but it never goes green. Rovio setup doesn't see, and if I power it up with the rovio connected, Windows wants to format it.

Try connecting with the ADHOC method.

KingofPain
KingofPain's picture
Just gave that a whirl, but I

Just gave that a whirl, but I don't see the network. I'm afraid I have a brick.

cowboyctx
cowboyctx's picture
KingofPain said: Just gave

KingofPain said: Just gave that a whirl, but I don't see the network. I'm afraid I have a brick.

What do you mean by you don't see the network?  Are you connecting to your Rovio and it does it not see the network.  ADHOC mode connects from a laptop to the ROVIO.  Once you make the connection to the ROVIO then you set up your network setting on your ROVIO.  Are you getting this far?

KingofPain
KingofPain's picture
I assume by adhoc, you mean

I assume by adhoc, you mean the default adhoc wireless network (wowwee_rovio i think) the rovio broadcasts before it's configured. I don't see that. Connecting to the rovio via the USB cable the way the manual suggests, (power it up, wait for the button to go green, plug it in the cable) is problematical since the button never goes green. If I give it a bit and plug it in anyway, windows tells me the USB device has a problem. If I do what you mention early on in this thread, (plug USB in first, then power up rovio) I get the "this device needs to be formatted" message, but when I try unplugging it and plugging it back in, (while leaving it powered) I get the "this usb device has a problem" message every time.

cowboyctx
cowboyctx's picture
You are using Windows 32bit

You are using Windows 32bit right? Do you have a laptop?

KingofPain
KingofPain's picture
Yes, Windows 7 32 bit. It is

Yes, Windows 7 32 bit. It is a laptop that I am using.

cowboyctx
cowboyctx's picture
Follow this link and it will

Follow this link and it will work. I use 192.168.10.5 for my laptop. The Rovio will be at 192.168.10.18. Once you connect to your Rovio you can set up your network in the settings. You might have to refresh your network connections in the Network and Sharing Center / connect to a network link.

here are instructions.
http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/18038/Configuring-Rovio-from-L...

KingofPain
KingofPain's picture
Argh, I've got nothing. I

Argh, I've got nothing. I tried the settings as your link provided, but the Rovio never advertised the ROVIO_WOWWEE network, and when I created an adhoc network with that name, the Rovio never connected to it.

cowboyctx
cowboyctx's picture
Try to reset your Rovio:http:
KingofPain
KingofPain's picture
Another try with the firmware

Another try with the firmware updater tool did the trick. I downloaded the newest version (I thought I had done that already, but maybe not..) and ran it, and this time after not connecting to the rovio it installed another device driver automatically.. after that it was able to flash the rovio and it's now working perfectly. Thanks for the assist!

Oz
Oz's picture
I was having trouble setting

I was having trouble setting up my rovio on my vista PC. I then switched to a windows XP Pro, downloaded the software and the set up went on very smoothly. In fact, I got it on the second trial.