New Rovio Beta Firmware Available - Feedback Needed!

254 posts / 0 new
Last post
alants1
alants1's picture

RCRJ has posted a new comment:

My Rovio is working just fine when I am home on my network. Once I go away and try to open it outside the network it just does not work.
I have a Linksys WRT54GK ver.2 and I do believe I set it up right but now I'm not sure. Has anyone out there set a Rovio up using a...

I have the linksys 54G I am using 3.97 it works fine over the net I didnt have streaming video on my phone but i could access rovio with my cell also

cmilian
cmilian's picture

RCRJ, are you using any dynamic DNS address?

Tomasito
Tomasito's picture

cmillian,
I followed your advise , and I opened port 554 and port 80, I am now able to access the rovio from outside my home network.
But I am stil unable to access the rovio using my internal IP address, what do you think is the reason?

cmilian
cmilian's picture

That is very rare. Ussually you can access it from the inside and not from the outside. in your case, maybe, maybe, and just maybe you are just not using the correct IP address when trying to access it from the inside and since from the outside you use a Dynamic DNS address it does not care when your IP changes. Check your IP address again on the settings. It might be a good idea to do manual IP configuration so it does not change. Let me know if this is the reason. Dont forget to do all 3 setting on manual configuration, IP, Default Gateway and DNS.

Tomasito
Tomasito's picture

Hello cmillian,
got it working now for both internal and external access. You are right inputed the wrong ip address.
Thanks

cmilian
cmilian's picture

No Problem

Tomasito
Tomasito's picture

Peter Redmer said:

cmilian said: ************************************************************************ RCRJ Said: I need HELP! I have suddenlink as my internet service (they took over Time Warner here in my area) and they have Port 80 blocked. In no way will they open Port 80. I need Port 80 to operate my Rovio. What else can I do? Thanks for any help ************************************************************************ RCRJ, just go to your Rovio with the browser, go to Settings, then Network and change the Port settting, remember to later on open it in your router.

Hello Pete, Cmillian

Just got my second rovio tonight. Was able to setup both for internal and external access with good advice from cmillian.

When accessing internally both of the rovio1 and rovio 2 will stream there own videos. But when I do external access. Rovio 1 will have the same video stream as Rovio 2. I think it has something to do with the wireless router setting, any advice

cmilian
cmilian's picture

Tomasito said:

Peter Redmer said:

cmilian said: ************************************************************************ RCRJ Said: I need HELP! I have suddenlink as my internet service (they took over Time Warner here in my area) and they have Port 80 blocked. In no way will they open Port 80. I need Port 80 to operate my Rovio. What else can I do? Thanks for any help ************************************************************************ RCRJ, just go to your Rovio with the browser, go to Settings, then Network and change the Port settting, remember to later on open it in your router.

Hello Pete, Cmillian Just got my second rovio tonight. Was able to setup both for internal and external access with good advice from cmillian. When accessing internally both of the rovio1 and rovio 2 will stream there own videos. But when I do external access. Rovio 1 will have the same video stream as Rovio 2. I think it has something to do with the wireless router setting, any advice        

THe reason for that is that you are using the same port on both rovios. Since you have only one exposed IP address you need to make sure that each rovio uses a diferent Port. Then when accesing your rovio specify the port . Example: http://yourrovio.dyndns.com:8080

Nan
Nan's picture

Hi,
I would like to add new functions to the firmware which it can talk to my server. Can I do that?
Thanks.

Nan
Nan's picture

Hi,
I would like to add new functions to firmware which it can talk to my server. How Can I do that?

Thanks.

cowboyctx
cowboyctx's picture

Nan said: Hi, I would like to add new functions to firmware which it can talk to my server. How Can I do that? Thanks.

If you have a Web Server you could write you own HTML code to talk to the Rovio.  It is really simple.

cowboyctx
cowboyctx's picture

cowboyctx said:

Nan said: Hi, I would like to add new functions to firmware which it can talk to my server. How Can I do that? Thanks.

If you have a Web Server you could write you own HTML code to talk to the Rovio.  It is really simple.

Unless someone figure out how to hack the firnware code or Wowwee releases the code then you can't.  What would you like to have the Rovio do with your server?

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

cowboyctx said:

cowboyctx said:

Unless someone figure out how to hack the firnware code or Wowwee releases the code then you can't.  What would you like to have the Rovio do with your server?

Actually you CAN. I have a couple of html pages on my laptop that do some things that are not possible through the standard UI, (for example, I can watch the serial data being sent between the circuit board in the head, and the circuit board in the base). However, these are building on top of the functions and data that is available through the current firmware. Just about anything you can do through the standard interface can also be done by a remote computer.

If the new functions you want are not possible utilizing the existing API and data available, then you will need to hack the firmware (or convince Wow Wee to cough up the source code). An example would be, my Rovio has 4 head lights, I can control them all individually (not just all on or all off), but to do it, I have to apply a patch to the firmware in memory.

Pages