New Rovio Beta Firmware Available - Feedback Needed!

254 posts / 0 new
Last post
RobM
RobM's picture

NanoTek said:

RobM said:

Is it just me or are we kinda past the point of when Wowwee should have released the new firmware....I mean "release in the next week" was about 3 weeks ago

The timeline should always be multiplied by 4... at least. :-)

I think safer would probably be 8 multiplier

alants1
alants1's picture

I put the original firmware back in until the get something more stable Has anyone come up with a good light solution for the low camera light

Tomasito
Tomasito's picture

alants1 said: I put the original firmware back in until the get something more stable Has anyone come up with a good light solution for the low camera light

Alantis,

how did you restore back the original software, did you just hit restore in the systems tab.

thanks,

Jimcking
Jimcking's picture
alants1
alants1's picture

Hi Tomasito Once I was able to get back online with rovio I used system tab located firmware and reinstalled it .Software I restored and reconfigured with usb like the first time

bozooka
bozooka's picture

Well I finally gave up on the BETA firmware and put 3.97 back in Rovio.. I was tired of getting no nav signals and no connection at all.. Hope the 3.97 is better

Ace1
Ace1's picture

I installed Beta 7 firmware a couple of weeks ago.
So far a good experience. Router Linksys WRT600N- nice router
1) PCs: on IE6/7 and Firefox, worked well
IE: I can load the page with sound. only glitched 2 or 3 times out of all multiple attempts. generally the glitch was either multiple login prompts (on first load on a new PC) or picture was not displaying (and wouldn't fix until completely closing ID. page reload did not work.
FIREFOX: worked flawlessly. no audio of course, but uPNP (on both IE and firefox) worked well automatically opening a port, and even worked on my office restricted network once I found a non-restricted port. uPNP even correctly detected it (? when not working port, checkmark when working.)

2) Handheld (IPAQ110): worked ok on IE some controls were a little flaky and page refresh took a moment over WIFI-G. FIREFOX: did not work. OPERA: page did not display but all the controls worked as I scrolled around the screen and then zoomed in and clicked on them.

3) Coworker's IPHONE: worked decently. a little slow, but worked decently.

4) Regular LG 550 phone running downloaded latest OPERA Mobile: got as far as login prompt, then failed as attempting to load. (timed out.) Then I tried the jpeg/camimg.jpg link. (page could not be found.) Then I tried the /Mobile/index.htm and under opera it worked decently. SUCCESS! Saw picture and update button worked. Neck move and direction buttons did not seem to work.

bozooka
bozooka's picture

I am beginning to think it is a glitch in ROVIO itself! Even with the 3.97 firmware back in it doing the same as the 5. beta version...Has anyone had the same experience when they put the 3.97 back in after 5. beta?

dCon0ne
dCon0ne's picture

Ace1 said: 2) Handheld (IPAQ110): worked ok on IE some controls were a little flaky and page refresh took a moment over WIFI-G. FIREFOX: did not work. OPERA: page did not display but all the controls worked as I scrolled around the screen and then zoomed in and clicked on them.

3) Coworker's IPHONE: worked decently. a little slow, but worked decently.

4) Regular LG 550 phone running downloaded latest OPERA Mobile: got as far as login prompt, then failed as attempting to load. (timed out.) Then I tried the jpeg/camimg.jpg link. (page could not be found.) Then I tried the /Mobile/index.htm and under opera it worked decently. SUCCESS! Saw picture and update button worked. Neck move and direction buttons did not seem to work.

I have a iPaq 910 and the only buttons that work, are  Left, Forward, and Right.  None of the other buttons seem to work.

The Video is a still picture, but I expect that to be a normal thing for a Mobile phone...  Can't get the UPDATE button to work.

I do not have any Recorded paths setup yet, so I can't test that button.

Oh this is 5.00b7

Jayceekeys
Jayceekeys's picture

Hey guys,

I eventually got the Rovio working with 5.00b7, thanks to cmillian who was very kind and helped me a lot with advise.

I thought that the latest firmware would give loads of additional functionality, but despite the plus points, it had some major failures that outway them:

My experience has been:

1) Iphone Driver no longer responds (video, but control of robot goes mad). I think this is because the iphone driver guy has no rovio to work on since the firmware upgrade as his died on him.

2) The motion when directing Rovio to go forward stutters and is intermittent.

3) The video has a severe time lag (several seconds), which seems to go further adrift the longer you are connected.

4) The charging indicator shows as roaming when it has been docked for a while. If you reverse the Rovio a little it indicates as charging again.

5) Audio has a severe time lag - MANY SECONDS (gets worse as video above the longer it is connected).

6) Adjusting the audio volumes results in complete loss of audio unless IE is restarted or the settings are saved and subsequently adjusted. IE Version: 7.0.5730.13IS

In the end, I have reverted back to 3.97 and am now having a great time !

I know that the firmware revision is going to improve Rovio, but for the moment I am going to use 3.97 until the next firmware comes out to try!

Have fun guys .... and thankyou to all that helped me over the last couple of weeks!

Jay

cmilian
cmilian's picture

Any estimated release of then next firmware?

savino
savino's picture

I was told a few weeks ago it was ready for release within a "weeks time". Now did they mean a "week's" time or multiple "weeks"?

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

That depends, were you talking to someone who was actually in a position to give you an actual timeframe for release, or were you talking to someone far removed from the process, and thus only really able to give you speculation?

Since your planning to sell your Rovio, does it really matter?

Edit: I suggest you also see this thread.

Tomasito
Tomasito's picture

bozooka said: O.K. Now that I have had the BETA version in for a few days and rovio continuously on..I can comment on it a bit more.. The only problem I am having thus far is I have to reboot after letting rovio sit for awhile Rovio has been continuously on 24x7 with the web panel to.. I can get into rovio no problem but the video shuts down..other wise all is well so far...Bozooka

Hello Bozooka,

I am having the same issue too. The video shutdowns after awhile, I don't know how long after. I leave it on and then the video shutdowns, sometimes it is no longer connected.

Tomasito 

Tomasito
Tomasito's picture

Paul T said: I've found that by just turning off Rovio and back on again I get connection back. Then drops again after a few minutes. Seems like the problem is with Rovio not my router, I can connect to the internet just fine, it's only Rovio I can't connect to externally.

Hello Paul T,

I too had experience this.

Tomasito

PeteS
PeteS's picture

Well, I tried to do the firmware update and now I don't get a power light after turning it on. I can't connect it using Setup. I'm not sure, but I had to do the update after I moved Rovio off the charging base. It may be possible that the battery died while it was trying to do the update...I'm not sure.

Anyone have a suggestion about

EduardoOrtego
EduardoOrtego's picture

I am using the version 5 and:

The video is ok
The docking is better

The paths does not work, after recording a path I have to push stop to recover the rovio and the path recorded do nothing
If you stop over the camera button, appear the head position flag

This is all up to now. Best regards

cmilian
cmilian's picture

Any Estimates for next firmware release?

eqwalker
eqwalker's picture

Tomasito said:

Paul T said: I've found that by just turning off Rovio and back on again I get connection back. Then drops again after a few minutes. Seems like the problem is with Rovio not my router, I can connect to the internet just fine, it's only Rovio I can't connect to externally.

Hello Paul T, I too had experience this. Tomasito

The same experience here.  Mine drops off once a day.  I'll be at work and cannot connect.  I will power cycle it when I get home and all is well till the next day.

RCRJ
RCRJ's picture

My Rovio is working just fine when I am home on my network. Once I go away and try to open it outside the network it just does not work. I have a Linksys WRT54GK ver.2 and I do believe I set it up right but now I'm not sure. Has anyone out there set a Rovio up using a Linksys? And if you have can you let us know just how you put in the information. Wish you could send pictures.. But if you could write down just what you put in and where would help out a great deal.

Thanks for any help.

Lost in the world of Rovio...

/

RCRJ
RCRJ's picture

I need HELP! I have suddenlink as my internet service (they took over Time Warner here in my area) and they have Port 80 blocked. In no way will they open Port 80. I need Port 80 to operate my Rovio. What else can I do?

Thanks for any help.

cmilian
cmilian's picture

RCRJ Said: I need HELP! I have suddenlink as my internet service (they took over Time Warner here in my area) and they have Port 80 blocked. In no way will they open Port 80. I need Port 80 to operate my Rovio. What else can I do? Thanks for any help

RCRJ, just go to your Rovio with the browser, go to Settings, then Network and change the Port settting, remember to later on open it in your router.

Tomasito
Tomasito's picture

cmillian,

I have a similar issue with RCRJ, all of a sudden I can no longer access my rovio externally.
I have a linksys WRT300N. Do I use the single port forwarding or the Port forwarding?

I both tried either prot forwarding, but in the rovio setting tab, it gives an error unable to verify internet access

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

cmilian said:
RCRJ Said: I need HELP! I have suddenlink as my internet service (they took over Time Warner here in my area) and they have Port 80 blocked. In no way will they open Port 80. I need Port 80 to operate my Rovio. What else can I do? Thanks for any help
RCRJ, just go to your Rovio with the browser, go to Settings, then Network and change the Port settting, remember to later on open it in your router.

cmilian is correct... most folks would then use port 8080, it's a common solution.  Give it a try and let us know how it goes!

Pete

dCon0ne
dCon0ne's picture

Tomasito said: cmillian, I have a similar issue with RCRJ, all of a sudden I can no longer access my rovio externally. I have a linksys WRT300N. Do I use the single port forwarding or the Port forwarding? I both tried either prot forwarding, but in the rovio setting tab, it gives an error unable to verify internet access

Don't believe that indicator....  Mine shows that I have NO access from the Internet, but, I have no issues connecting to the Rovio form an external location.

Has ANYONE seen the ONLINE indicator work???  I always see three(3) blue dots then it turns Amber with a "?"....

cmilian
cmilian's picture

My Network status works perfectlly. Make sure you open the necesary ports. Get some free dynamic dns provider like dyndns, if dyndns works then your network is fine.

RCRJ
RCRJ's picture

cmilian said: ************************************************************************ RCRJ Said: I need HELP! I have suddenlink as my internet service (they took over Time Warner here in my area) and they have Port 80 blocked. In no way will they open Port 80. I need Port 80 to operate my Rovio. What else can I do? Thanks for any help ************************************************************************ RCRJ, just go to your Rovio with the browser, go to Settings, then Network and change the Port settting, remember to later on open it in your router.

The issues is I can change them in my router but it will not do me any good. Suddenlink blocks the port 80

RCRJ
RCRJ's picture

Peter Redmer said:

cmilian said: ************************************************************************ RCRJ Said: I need HELP! I have suddenlink as my internet service (they took over Time Warner here in my area) and they have Port 80 blocked. In no way will they open Port 80. I need Port 80 to operate my Rovio. What else can I do? Thanks for any help ************************************************************************ RCRJ, just go to your Rovio with the browser, go to Settings, then Network and change the Port settting, remember to later on open it in your router.

cmilian is correct... most folks would then use port 8080, it's a common solution.  Give it a try and let us know how it goes! Pete

I just tried 8080 and its a still no go..  HELP...  I do want to thank everyone so far for the help they tried to give me.. I know there will be many others with my problem.

dCon0ne
dCon0ne's picture

cmilian said: My Network status works perfectlly. Make sure you open the necesary ports. Get some free dynamic dns provider like dyndns, if dyndns works then your network is fine.

cmillian,  I substituted port 50000 for 80, and still using 554.  and Setup is configured to reflect these ports...

What ports are you using?????

cmilian
cmilian's picture

I have port 8168, 554 and 80 open

Pages