New Rovio Beta Firmware Available - Feedback Needed!

254 posts / 0 new
Last post
RoboBrain
RoboBrain's picture

savino said:
I'm not getting the ability to change the security to WPA with the beta. The settings say Version: v5.00b7, but only offer WEP.
Shouldn't the setup software (attached to the usb) allow you change the security to WPA also? Or does it get the available security modes from the robot?

Yes, this needs to be corrected in the setup software.  Try the built-in configuration on the web interface, e.g. by configuring your laptop for the AD-HOC Connection as outlined in the instruction manual.   Connecting to Rovio directly to configure it, the web UI doesn't even ask what security protocol is used, just AdHoc or Infrastructure and it just figures the rest out.   This is one of those "Have faith, it works in beta" things...

...RB

Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

savino said:
Shouldn't the setup software (attached to the usb) allow you change the security to WPA also? Or does it get the available security modes from the robot?

nope, because I use a Mac I cant use the "setup software" (used a couple of time thru bootcamp/Windows partition, but in the long end is really useless)

I've just loaded the new firmware to the Rovio thru web interface, re-configured the Rovio with my previous settings (basically with no changes) and now its working with WPA/WPA2 (*note: a "save & restore settings" will be a nice feature)

btw I know theres two kind of encryption: tkip and aes, think I'm using the first one, I dont know if the Rovio works with both, maybe some network expert here can explain better

bozooka
bozooka's picture

I up-loaded the BETA firmware.. The up-load was good. Everything as of now seems to be working right.. I had an issue before the up-load with getting access to internet but now I can.. I will keep you posted.

alants1
alants1's picture

Hi I tryed new firm ware it crashed my rovio had to clear memory and reload 3.97 i had trouble with remote internet The upn port forwarding I use a linksys wk54g

Jayceekeys
Jayceekeys's picture

Hey Guys,

I installed the beta version of the firmware and expected the connection to be lost - as it would have reset the connection to factory feaults I guess. But can't even find the Rovio on the finder app in the software folder.

I can't use any default ip's or even change config for connection in the setup options as it won't let me into the main IE screen to change them.

I decided to reinstall the software using the install app, but it comes up as not successful at the end of the install. This was on my main pc running XP.

I decided to try a clean install on a new Dell Vista PC. For some reason in Vista, once I get to the second set of install screens (turn on Rovio / connect cable etc), there are no buttons displayed (Next, Back, Cancel etc) so I am unable to proceed. I didn't know if it was because it was a new pc and the install application used flash or java etc which might not have been installed, so installed both of these on the pc just in case - but still no buttons!!

The firmware upgrade seems to have locked me out of the Rovio completely. As I am using an Orange Livebox router (connected by LAN cable) and not a wifi card, I can't even do an ad hoc connection.

The reason I was trying to upgrade the fimware, was because although I had the Rovio working through the router and could connect and see video (not audio) through Firefox, the IE7 interface would not display even video. It originally came up with the "do you want to install the activex plugin" prompt (which I accepted), but it kept coming up with this and would never show video. I even set all the security settings to low to make sure it was allowing activex content. I also switched off all firewalls and virus protection. I even opened all ports on the router. Eventually it stopped doing this but just came up with an error message where the video should have been.

Although I guess most of you would probably suggest that the problem was router settings, I had already opened the two correct ports in the router and could get the video and audio when using other pcs (internal and external networks) when using IE. (I had not tried using a different port to 80, so should have been ok). I even used some software that fired data at the router to check for open ports and found them open. I thought it may have been something weird with the main PC, so thought that the PnP setting in the new firmware may have helped. But it has just lost everything now.

Please, please, please can someone help me as I really love my new Rovio and want it back!!!

Many thanks,

Jay

bozooka
bozooka's picture

Something similar happened to me when I up-loaded the beta to rovio.. What I did to get back in to rovio was hooked up the USB cable and went to the program and use the setup again and resetuped rovio it worked like a charm..I still have the beta running...Hope this helps

Jayceekeys said: Hey Guys, I installed the beta version of the firmware and expected the connection to be lost - as it would have reset the connection to factory feaults I guess. But can't even find the Rovio on the finder app in the software folder. I can't use any default ip's or even change config for connection in the setup options as it won't let me into the main IE screen to change them. I decided to reinstall the software using the install app, but it comes up as not successful at the end of the install. This was on my main pc running XP. I decided to try a clean install on a new Dell Vista PC. For some reason in Vista, once I get to the second set of install screens (turn on Rovio / connect cable etc), there are no buttons displayed (Next, Back, Cancel etc) so I am unable to proceed. I didn't know if it was because it was a new pc and the install application used flash or java etc which might not have been installed, so installed both of these on the pc just in case - but still no buttons!! The firmware upgrade seems to have locked me out of the Rovio completely. As I am using an Orange Livebox router (connected by LAN cable) and not a wifi card, I can't even do an ad hoc connection. The reason I was trying to upgrade the fimware, was because although I had the Rovio working through the router and could connect and see video (not audio) through Firefox, the IE7 interface would not display even video. It originally came up with the "do you want to install the activex plugin" prompt (which I accepted), but it kept coming up with this and would never show video. I even set all the security settings to low to make sure it was allowing activex content. I also switched off all firewalls and virus protection. I even opened all ports on the router. Eventually it stopped doing this but just came up with an error message where the video should have been. Although I guess most of you would probably suggest that the problem was router settings, I had already opened the two correct ports in the router and could get the video and audio when using other pcs (internal and external networks) when using IE. (I had not tried using a different port to 80, so should have been ok). I even used some software that fired data at the router to check for open ports and found them open. I thought it may have been something weird with the main PC, so thought that the PnP setting in the new firmware may have helped. But it has just lost everything now. Please, please, please can someone help me as I really love my new Rovio and want it back!!! Many thanks, Jay

Jayceekeys
Jayceekeys's picture

Hey Bozooka,

Thanks for the reply .... I have tried using the install software on three machines (2 XP, 1 Vista). The XP machines both fail on install at the very end stating the the network was confirgured but the installation failed. Both end up opening the resulting webpage using ip 0.0.0.0 so I guess that it doesn't configure the network ip correctly. The vista machine opens the setup software, but when it gets to the second part (Switch on, connect etc) it shows no buttons.

The ironic thing is that the Rovio goes to a green steady light when I try and use the reset app in the Rovio folder. It seems to think that it IS connected to the network, but doesn't show in Rovio finder. The strange thing is that if you switch off the wireless router it still goes green - so I think thatthe firmware is completely messed up. But I can't clear it. Does anyone know if the reset clears the fireware and restores it to factory default, or does it just clear the connection settings in the currently installed firmware?

What would be nice is if there is a way of just formstting and doing a clean install of firmware into Rovio without having to use the interface (which is obviously inaccessable when corrupt.

I am getting REALLY worried that I am never going to get my rovio back. I only got it for Xmas and am really put off by the complexity of just getting it to work.

Many thanks,

Jsy :-)

cmilian
cmilian's picture

Make sure you configure your computer with a static IP in the range of the default Rovio configuration.

Jayceekeys
Jayceekeys's picture

Hey thanks guys,

It really helps having you all suggest things as I had run out of ideas. I did have the router set up before the update and it was working ok. I also had it set for DNS so I was able to access from external networks. My ip is 192.168.1.192 is that in the range for the default rovio config?

Cheers,

Jay

alants1
alants1's picture

I have noticed that if rovio does not have a static IP every time you power it down he has a new IP on power up .

alants1
alants1's picture

I went through alot to find rovio after i lost him I reset him a number of times to get him back.From what I remember the reset does not clear the firmware i had to do that once i got him back in adhoc I always saw him on my wireless router net work connections.

bozooka
bozooka's picture
You need to give Rovio a static IP in networks in rovio settings.. Click on manually assign then give it an IP.. It will have that ip every time you boot.. BUT Remember you need to assign this address in your router tables too. So the router knows who it is and pass's it thru. So in your router part give Rovio a static ip the same as you gave rovio.. I hope this helps... Bozooka

alants1 said: I have noticed that if rovio does not have a static IP every time you power it down he has a new IP on power up .

alants1
alants1's picture

thanks bozooka

Jayceekeys
Jayceekeys's picture

Everytime I go through the setup software after the firmware upgrade it fails (as I mentioned above). I tried assigning it an ip manually in the setup program, but it always come up as failed install and then directs me to http://0.0.0.0/

Is there any chance you could give an idiot like me a guide to what goes in the manual setup or confirm if what i have entered is correct:

Rovio Ip Address: 192.168.1.192
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (As per router config info)
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Router LAN IP Address from outer config)
Prefferred DNS Server: As per ip of router Primary DNS Server
Alternative DNS Server: As per ip of router Secondary DNS Server

I then enter the username and password chosen. Press enter a couple of times and the setup finishes stating:

Your rovio has been successfully configured on your network!

and beneath....

Your Rovio was not setup properly please retry the setup.

I then hit finish and it takes me to http://0.0.0.0/

Many thanks for all your kind help!

Jay

bozooka
bozooka's picture

The settings your using looks good.. BUT! remember your router needs to have that many IP'S so your routers DHCP setup needs to have a beginning ip address like 192.168.1.1 then an end like 192.168.1.200 most routers don't let you use more then 200 ip's..Then in your router tables you need to give a static IP to rovio with the ip you chose.. 192.168.1.192 in your case.. I hope this helps..  Bozooka

Jayceekeys said: Everytime I go through the setup software after the firmware upgrade it fails (as I mentioned above). I tried assigning it an ip manually in the setup program, but it always come up as failed install and then directs me to http://0.0.0.0/ Is there any chance you could give an idiot like me a guide to what goes in the manual setup or confirm if what i have entered is correct: Rovio Ip Address: 192.168.1.192 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (As per router config info) Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Router LAN IP Address from outer config) Prefferred DNS Server: As per ip of router Primary DNS Server Alternative DNS Server: As per ip of router Secondary DNS Server I then enter the username and password chosen. Press enter a couple of times and the setup finishes stating: Your rovio has been successfully configured on your network! and beneath.... Your Rovio was not setup properly please retry the setup. I then hit finish and it takes me to http://0.0.0.0/ Many thanks for all your kind help! Jay

Jayceekeys
Jayceekeys's picture

Hi Bozooka,

Thanks for the help at the moment - I really appreciate it.

I just checked and the router is configured as:

DHCP start address: 192.168.1.9
DHCP server end address: 192.168.1.200

So an ip of 192.168.1.192 should have worked I guess?

Thanks for your help guys,

Jay

cmilian
cmilian's picture

The default IP address after the update for the Rovio will be 192.168.10.18, therefor your local adapter IP adress should be in that range. Configure your local adapter as 192.168.10.5 and Subnet mast of 255.255.255.0. The to access your Rovio enter http://192.168.10.18 on your browser. RTMF page 16-17.

:) just a bit of humor to end my message. Good luck.

Jayceekeys
Jayceekeys's picture

Hey buddy,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think the problem is that I am using a router and therfore can't do an ad hoc connection. So I have to use the setup software to assign the SSID key to make the connection. For some reason at the end of the setup takes me to http://0.0.0.0 and it never establishes a wireless connection (Red light) so whatever ip I try and view in IE, it comes up as a blank page.

One thing that makes me think that the firemware is corrupt is that even when I try and use the reset application, it comes straight back as complete as soon as I hit the button. If it was cleaning the memory and reloading the firmware I would have thought it would have taken a second or so. I does do something when I run that application though, because the red light turns to green - which is odd in itself. I would have thought that if it reset the memory and firmware that it would clean out any SSID and key which would if anything result in a red LED.

I am going to try one last thing before I have exhausted all routes and send it back.... I am going to go and buy a wireless network stick and see if I can do an ad hoc connection to remove any complications that the router may be presenting. I take it a wireless USB stick would do the same type of ad hoc connection as buying a PCI type wireless card?

Cheers and many thanks,

Jay

savino
savino's picture

I don't know if this is cross posting, but I am going to ask the same question here because I am using the beta firmware (5.00b7) and this may have something to do with it.

Here's a access question:

I can get as far as my router when I type in my WAN ip during remote access. But no matter what I put in the router for port numbers, I can't get to the Rovio too open up to the outside. Inside LAN works create. What port numbers to I need to release? The Rovio setup page says to use my WAN ip with 8168, however I've read posts that say 80 and 554.

There's another problem. When I try to release port 80 in my router, I get a message saying that service is already assigned. Could I use 8080?

I have tried using DynDNS, but it only gets as far as my router from outside too.

One last thing. Can I actually access my home network while I'm at home using the WAN ip? I read that I would need to use a proxy server to test it out.

savino
savino's picture

I think I am getting somewhere. I used a proxy server to get into my home network. When I entered the WAN ip plus the port (***.***.*.*:****) it takes me to the Rovio log on.
After logging in however, this is what I am presented with:

Roaming

Video Settings  
Resolution: 176x144320x240352x288640x480  
Quality: LowMedHigh  
Frame Rate:     
Brightness:  
Force MJPEG:    

Movement Settings  
Movement Speed:  
Turn Speed:  
Angle Turn Speed:    
Latency  
IR Radar:  

Photo Settings  
Enable Email Photo:  
SMTP Settings
SMTP Server:   e.g. mail.server.com
Port:   Default: 25
Username:   e.g. johndoe
Password:  
Confirm Password:  
Email Settings
Sender Email Address:   e.g. john@domain.com
Receiver Email Address:     e.g. jane@domain.com
Email Subject:   e.g. Photo from Rovio
Email Body:  

Note: Rovio needs to have access to the internet through your wireless router to email a photo. Photos cannot be emailed in Ad hoc mode.

Security Settings
Enable User Authentication:  
User Accounts

New User

Username:  
Password:  
Confirm Password:  
Admin Access:  

WiFi Settings  
SSID:    
MAC Address:  
Mode:  Infrastructure Ad hoc  
Key:    
Confirm Key:   
Web Port:  (default: 80)
IP Setup  
Automatically from DHCP Manually  
Rovio IP address:  
Subnet mask:  
Default gateway:  
DNS:  
Internet Access  
Automatically open ports using uPnP Manually open ports  
Start port:  (default: 8168)
Internet IP:    
Verify Internet Access:  
Online status:  
  Include in status bar
External address:    

Dynamic Domain Settings  
Enable:  
Service Provider:  -- Select a service -- DynDNS No-IP DNS-O-Matic  
Domain:  Domain you want to access Rovio with (e.g. johndoe.myrovio.com)
Username:  
Password:  
Confirm Password:  
Overwrite IP:

Proxy Settings (optional)  
Server:  
Port:  
Username:  
Password:  
Confirm Password:  

Version: v
[ ]
Alert me when new firmware is available  
Reboot System

Restore Default Settings

Warning: After you restore the default settings, Rovio will be reset to Ad hoc mode and its IP address will be changed to 192.168.10.18. You will need to reconnect using these network settings.
Update Firmware Image

Select Firmware Image:    
Note: The latest firmware image can be downloaded from the Rovio support website.
 Rebooting Rovio, please wait...
Page will refresh in 30 seconds.
OK
Select Network:

The network '' requires a network key (also called a WEP key or WPA key).
Network key:  
Confirm network key:    

cmilian
cmilian's picture

Jayceekeys, can you do ad-hoc from your computer first to configure the Rovio?

bozooka
bozooka's picture

O.K. Now that I have had the BETA version in for a few days and rovio continuously on..I can comment on it a bit more.. The only problem I am having thus far is I have to reboot after letting rovio sit for awhile Rovio has been continuously on 24x7 with the web panel to.. I can get into rovio no problem but the video shuts down..other wise all is well so far...Bozooka

Jayceekeys
Jayceekeys's picture

Hey there cmillian (sorry for using your screen name but not sure of your real one!),

I am going to pick up a wireless adapter stic later after work and am going to try doing an ad hoc connection. I am praying that this will work.

In advance, is it possible to do a quick reply as to how I should go about configuring the Rovio and Ad hoc connection i.e. should I reset the rovio, and how I go about doing a connection aferwards. As I will be using a new wireless adaptor the network key will be different with the new adaptor.

When will I get a chance to put a new network key and ip address to link to the rovio?

Many, many thanks for all you guys helping me, I owe you one big time.

Cheers,

Jay

Paul T
Paul T's picture

I've been trying a lot of different scenerios in regards to losing connectivity externally via the internet to Rovio and what I discovered (which makes no sense) is if Rovio is on the charger it will work for a short time then lose connectivity. If I take Rovio off the charger I can connect to Rovio externally via the internet indefinately. There is no logic to this, but it works perfectly if he is off the charger.

Tomasito
Tomasito's picture

Hello Need assistance:

I have this issue with the rovio in which the video streaming stops. I have tried the different firmwares to fix the problem (including the latest beta firmware). I even loaded the old firmware version 3.97?, which is supposedly stable. This action has not fix the problem.

Sometimes, the issue can be corrected by rebooting the rovio. Sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time I have to go to the rovio and turn it on and off. But lately I don't have any video streaming from my rovio

Take note, that it is only the video, All other functions are OK!
Can anyone help me on this issue?

Thanks,
Roberto

Mbordoni
Mbordoni's picture

It works pretty fine, I have always the limited brightness for video. Still with brightnes to the max the video is dark.
I have some issue with the activex and vista since it is not signed and problems with proxy. Could be useful if the data stream could be selected for IE... (From time to time i have to switch to Firefox in order to switch to mjpeg.
WPA is working fine but the led color is funny: sometimes it remains orange even if it is not connected.
IT happened to me twice that Rovio lost Go Home settings (i discovered while i was using it from remote...) docking manually is not easy but possible, could be interesting to have the possibility to map ion browser the beacon marks and the docking station mark as well.

bozooka
bozooka's picture
The same thing has been happening to me. Rebooting gets it going SOMETIMES..  But over the Internet the signal strength is low some times Rovio can be 6" away and it say's low or week signal when I access it from my lap top thru my dynamic dns..  I cant reboot it when this is the case..

Tomasito said: Hello Need assistance: I have this issue with the rovio in which the video streaming stops. I have tried the different firmwares to fix the problem (including the latest beta firmware). I even loaded the old firmware version 3.97?, which is supposedly stable. This action has not fix the problem. Sometimes, the issue can be corrected by rebooting the rovio. Sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time I have to go to the rovio and turn it on and off. But lately I don't have any video streaming from my rovio Take note, that it is only the video, All other functions are OK! Can anyone help me on this issue? Thanks, Roberto

RobM
RobM's picture

Is it just me or are we kinda past the point of when Wowwee should have released the new firmware....I mean "release in the next week" was about 3 weeks ago

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

RobM said:

Is it just me or are we kinda past the point of when Wowwee should have released the new firmware....I mean "release in the next week" was about 3 weeks ago

The timeline should always be multiplied by 4... at least. :-)

Tomasito
Tomasito's picture

bozooka said:

The same thing has been happening to me. Rebooting gets it going SOMETIMES..  But over the Internet the signal strength is low some times Rovio can be 6" away and it say's low or week signal when I access it from my lap top thru my dynamic dns..  I cant reboot it when this is the case..

Tomasito said: Hello Need assistance: I have this issue with the rovio in which the video streaming stops. I have tried the different firmwares to fix the problem (including the latest beta firmware). I even loaded the old firmware version 3.97?, which is supposedly stable. This action has not fix the problem. Sometimes, the issue can be corrected by rebooting the rovio. Sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time I have to go to the rovio and turn it on and off. But lately I don't have any video streaming from my rovio Take note, that it is only the video, All other functions are OK! Can anyone help me on this issue? Thanks, Roberto

Update:
I emailed the wowwee technical support, ... their response since I bought the rovio less than a month, they recommnded that I return the rovio and ask for a replacement. Maybe they know something that we don't know.

Roberto

Pages