New Rovio Beta Firmware Available - Feedback Needed!

254 posts / 0 new
Last post
Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

oh, just cut the original wire and link the new adaptor wires to the piece of wire with the plug
also "brutal approach" using adhesive tape works fine
pay attention: the wire with the white (discontinued) line on the original cable is the positive (+) central plug so link properly to the adaptor

cmilian
cmilian's picture

Scary, guys, please put some pictures or diagrams around your instructions before some 8 year old explodes his Rovio :)

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

That's true Gio, but this is not recommended to the general public especially while Rovio is under warranty as they can forfeit the warranty.

If people should do something wrong it could become a potential fire hazard.

Alterations are at our own risk.

Update: If you cut wires on the adapter make sure that the adapter is not plugged next to the Xmas tree. :-)

Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

NanoTek said:
That's true Gio, but this is not recommended to the general public especially while Rovio is under warranty as they can forfeit the warranty.

ah the warranty lol ... you know...

NanoTek said:
If people should do something wrong it could become a potential fire hazard.
Alterations are at our own risk.
Update: If you cut wires on the adapter make sure that the adapter is not plugged next to the Xmas tree. :-)

sure, you are right, i forgot
personally I soldered the male original plug to a female "standard" plug, so now it is suitable for any kind of generic adaptor without having exposed cables (no children in house however..)
for sure is strongly recommended an adult/technician supervision
(or you can use one Spykee with a little fire extinguisher in place of his useless torso :D)

Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

post scriptum: happy new 2009 to all you guys and girls!!

savino
savino's picture

I received this email about the upgrade for WPA encryption:

"The update for other encryptions is coming. Currently WPA support is coming within a weeks time. It is just in the finalizing stage of testing and will be released at www.myrovio.com list in the update software section.

Sincerely,
WowWee Customer Service"

I was wondering if the upgrade is being released any time soon.

Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

savino said:

this firmware 5.00b7 already supports WPA and UPnP:
http://www.wowweesupport.com/product_item.php?cat=tech_tab&item=rovio

savino
savino's picture

Giobatta said:

savino said:

this firmware 5.00b7 already supports WPA and UPnP:
http://www.wowweesupport.com/product_item.php?cat=tech_tab&item=rovio

Isn't that in beta?

Also, can firmware upgrades be done using the usb cable instead of through wifi? I have my router setup for WPA and wouldn't want to change it to WEP if I don't need to.

Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

yes is a beta, considering my Rovio was shipped with the 4.02beta I dont care about the "b" :-) frankly (at least, to me) appears working better than the last stable version, and have some nice extra touch like Quicktime support and UPnP "automapping" port feature

of course seems to have some problem with some browser

I dont know about USB update, think isnt possible but I'm using a Mac so all is done thru WIFI in any case ... :( the only thing I can say it is my router is set as WPA/WPA2 (seen from outside sniffer as "WPA2/Radius" not "WPA") and works really fine with Rovio

maybe some Win user here can explain better

again happy new year
also to the firmware crew :)

roschler
roschler's picture

@Giobatta,

What does the UPnP "automapping" port feature do? I would think you still have to make entries in to the Port Forwarding table, yes? If Rovio could punch a whole through the router simply by requesting it, that would be kind of risky.

-- roschler

RoboBrain
RoboBrain's picture

ScreenSaver said:
But, uploading images thru email is in my case an issue, I tried to use my ISP's mailserver on port 25 without authentication, and our own on port 2525 with smtp-authentication ... No mail !
Another thing is the brightness of the image. Only in clear sunshine (inside the house), the picture is clear.
Requests : Motion- and sounddetection and the abitity to schedule a

FYI, I noticed this as well.

It appears as though Rovio will attempt to do an AUTH LOGIN even with blank information in those fields.  Not sure if it triggers on the server saying it supports auth with the 250-AUTH flag or not.

0040  52 fb 41 55 54 48 20 4c 4f 47 49 4e 0d 0a         R.AUTH LOGIN..

0040  12 6b 35 33 35 20 45 72 72 6f 72 3a 20 61 75 74   .k535 Error: aut
 0050  68 65 6e 74 69 63 61 74 69 6f 6e 20 66 61 69 6c   hentication fail
 0060  65 64 0d 0a                                       ed..

There should be an option to disable this.  Most people would be able to email themselves by using fake@example.com as the source address to their ISP's mail servers.  (Spam filtering issues aside).

Email to your own picasa album for example..  Offsite security cam!  HTTP(s) file upload would be even better.  I could actually have some fun with Appspot with that capability.

..RB

Hickory
Hickory's picture

RoboBrain said:

ScreenSaver said: But, uploading images thru email is in my case an issue, I tried to use my ISP's mailserver on port 25 without authentication, and our own on port 2525 with smtp-authentication ... No mail ! Another thing is the brightness of the image. Only in clear sunshine (inside the house), the picture is clear. Requests : Motion- and sounddetection and the abitity to schedule a

I had trouble with emailing photos as well. Set up the GMX email box, used the defaults but nothing worked. Read in one of the threads to change to port 587 in the setup under photo on the rovio settings and now it works like a champ every time I click the photo icon.

Nipahc
Nipahc's picture

Woah guys... Firmware? Going off topic and digging through pages :D

Cowboycctx: Nice! Good tip, I didn't notice that. That should work. Nice pages there it looks. Mentioned greasemonkey somewhere, if you like firefox or safari you may find it useful to make scripts with for your current Rovio pages as well.

About being a beta tester, its a pain sometimes but I love it. Sucker for new features I guess. Plus if its stability and errors someone wants I am one to bust em out! :D Glad we could share and figure out about this battery issue. I HOPE mine is getting over 80% charge!!! :( Trying to just keep and eye on mine.

Haven't got an update on my Network goodies yet.

Tomasito
Tomasito's picture

Can anybody help me.
I can not do set-up of my rovio, everytime I connect the USB cable to run the setup program. Rovio starts to move and then it turns off. I am unable to complete the setup program.
Is there a way to reset the rovio?

DavidS
DavidS's picture

I tried the firmware update to 5.00b7 and it went very poorly for me. At this point I have a dead Rovio. It does not fully power on. The blue lights around the edge come on, but the light on the power button never flashes red and never turns green.

So, I'm not sure what to do. I cannot get the Rovio to connect via the USB cable, Windows indicates that the USB device is not function correctly when it detects it when I plug in the cable. Adhoc networking, which was previously working, hangs indicating that it is waiting for the other users to connect (even though I see the ROVIO_WOWWEE wireless network). I can't get to the Rovio in any way that I'm aware of... Sigh.

So, a bit of background... I just got the Rovio for Xmas and have yet to really get it to a stage where I could use it apart from adhoc wireless connection because I didn't want to downgrade the security on my home router to WEP. I was going to purchase a second router, when I found out that WPA was supported for by the beta firmware upgrade. So, I downloaded the firmware upgrade!

The install of the new firmware seemed to go smoothly initially. I connected to the Rovio via adhoc wireless and select the settings->system and then browsed to the firmware image. The upload went fine and then it told me the Rovio was rebooting and it tried to refresh the page in 10 seconds. After the reboot, I couldn't get to the Rovio's webpage anymore and noticed that the adhoc wireless network was down. I tried to re-establish the adhoc network with no luck, so I turned the Rovio off and on and tried again. I didn't watch the power light that time, so I don't know if it ever came on. But I couldn't re-establish the adhoc network and tried power cycled the Rovio a couple more times and still nothing. Finally, I tried disconnecting the battery for 5 seconds and then reattached it.

I didn't notice the issue with the power button light not coming on until I tried connecting the USB cable to restore the Rovio to factory settings. When the power button lights didn't flash red at all, I began to worry seriously. At this point, I'm out of ideas to try.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

-David

Fraggboy
Fraggboy's picture

roschler said: @Giobatta, What does the UPnP "automapping" port feature do? I would think you still have to make entries in to the Port Forwarding table, yes? If Rovio could punch a whole through the router simply by requesting it, that would be kind of risky. -- roschler

UPnP is evil.  It allows a program to open up ports automatically on your router.  Yes, it's easy to use and automated.  But, just think about it. What if you have a Trojan opening up port(s) it needs to communicate?  You could be in serious trouble. 

I'm sure others love UPnP.  If it works for you, great!  But, I hope you know the ramifications for using it.   If not, educate yourself to protect your network, PC's and personal information!!

roschler
roschler's picture

@Fraggboy,

Thanks. Now that you point that out, I remember when they put out that security bulletin on the dangers of UPnP and home routers.

re: educate yourself

The problem is the router has it on by default, the average computer user doesn't even know to ask the question; they've never heard of UPnP.

-- roschler

dCon0ne
dCon0ne's picture

Tom,

I had the SAME PROBLEM.   Placed Rovio on the dock, the Lights lite up solid then rovio drove about 6 feet off the dock and died.  I ended up returning the Rovio and getting a New one.

Here is a video of what the Rovio should look like when powering up.   NOTE: if the Wifi is not already setup, the Power will FLASH AMBER, during power up. 

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm273/dCon0ne/Robotic%20Stuff/Rovio/?action=view&current=201_1836.flv

Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

Fraggboy said:

roschler said: @Giobatta, What does the UPnP "automapping" port feature do? I would think you still have to make entries in to the Port Forwarding table, yes? If Rovio could punch a whole through the router simply by requesting it, that would be kind of risky. -- roschler

UPnP is evil.  It allows a program to open up ports automatically on your router.  Yes, it's easy to use and automated.  But, just think about it. What if you have a Trojan opening up port(s) it needs to communicate?  You could be in serious trouble. 

I'm sure others love UPnP.  If it works for you, great!  But, I hope you know the ramifications for using it.   If not, educate yourself to protect your network, PC's and personal information!!

hey guys, I'm NOT using UPnP and I prefer manual mapping mode, but I was talking in general about new features of the firmware, and this is one with WPA, if someone consider it a bug ergh....

(btw with my router UPnP from Rovio is not working :) but I just cited that as an improvements .... at least for non expert people)

I dont understand phrases like "being a beta tester" and so on ...I received Rovio with firmware 4.02beta (now disappeared) factory installed!!
I think 80% of the Rovios owners is already a beta tester (but no one noticed them about that ;-))

I'm satisfiyied (in general...) with 5.07b, its gold with WPA support!!
(the only thing not working is Quicktime, as I said, and I hope they fix it because is the only way to use audio in/out with my mac)

IMHO :-)
oooh the 2009...... :-)

species_5618
species_5618's picture

i have tested the new firmware, and it's is working better. The

Fraggboy
Fraggboy's picture

Giobatta said:  I dont understand phrases like "being a beta tester" and so on ...... :-)

Basically, a company wants to perform their 'beta' testing within house, meaning they keep the bugs at bay so the public doesn't know about them.  So, WowWee uses the public (us) as a 'beta tester'.  IMHO, I'm somehwat OK with that, but it just shows me that they just rushed out Rovio to be out first.  Who knows, it might take WowWee a year to somewhat perfect the firmware.  And, within that time frame they will lose customers frustrated with the bugs.

savino
savino's picture

If every hardware or software maker waited until they perfected their product, we would still be in the early Twentieth Century.
I have resigned myself to the fact that the advertising campaigns we see on a daily basis are just a ploy to get beta testers.
We are all beta testers.

cmilian
cmilian's picture

Fraggboy,

I disagree with "Basically, a company wants to perform their 'beta' testing within house, meaning they keep the bugs at bay so the public doesn't know about them. So, WowWee uses the public (us) as a 'beta tester'. IMHO, I'm somehwat OK with that, but it just shows me that they just rushed out Rovio to be out first. Who knows, it might take WowWee a year to somewhat perfect the firmware. And, within that time frame they will lose customers frustrated with the bugs"

Companies do beta testing internally. But they also use customers to do their beta testing. There are to many variables out there for WowWee to test on their own. Different routers, Computers , etc .

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

Here is something interesting:

Early Adopter

Definition - An early adopter is a person who embraces new technology before most other people do. Early adopters tend to buy or try out new hardware items and programs, and new versions of existing programs, sooner than most of their peers. According to a theory called Diffusion of Innovations (DoI) formulated by Everett Rogers, early adopters make up 13.5 percent of the population.
Early adopters, while eager to explore new options in technology, are not the most daring, and are not especially prone to taking risks. That role, according to Rogers, is played by a small minority of people called innovators. Only one person in 40 is of this type. They are the people most likely to conceive and develop new methodologies and technologies, and who often end up running large IT corporations or founding new ones.

http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid94_gc...

cmilian
cmilian's picture

Well put Early adopter !!!!

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

What offspring do you get from an early adopter and a beta tester?...

A GUINEA PIG!!!... :-) :-)) :-D

flowersrj
flowersrj's picture

cowboycctx said:  It will send a backup command about every hour to the Rovio...

cowboy cctx,

How do you get this to run automatically every hour when your not around?

Thanks,

Rich

cowboycctx
cowboycctx's picture

I would prefer Wowwee to release beta software than to have to wait 6 months for a release. If someone has problems with being a beta tester then don't upgrade. Release 3.97 was advertised as stable. WPA is important and if you want it then you have to be a beta tester or hang a wep wireless router behind your WPA network. Of course you could wait 6 months for a non-beta release with WPA.

PLEASE LET ME BE A BETA TESTER!!!

Nipahc
Nipahc's picture

I prefer to be a beta tester to see the new stuff and be part of the creation process! :D

Yea, my Rovio firmware started at a Beta too. I was suprized... beta isn't normally the release candidate. Good stuff tho, was glad to see this firmware. Many more improvements.

So far batteries seem to be preforming better. I've been checking connectivity and it been connected. I have been getting even 100% reading!

Still haven't got the internet connection worked out but haven't worked on fixing it.

cowboycctx
cowboycctx's picture

flowersrj said:

cowboycctx said:  It will send a backup command about every hour to the Rovio...

cowboy cctx,

How do you get this to run automatically every hour when your not around?

Thanks,

Rich

You leave your computer on and leave the charge.htm running.  You can change the how long to wait for backup command if you edit the charge.htm file (use Charge_novideo.htm to save on band width.).  Look for this command:

setInterval("Charge();" , 420000);

Change the value 420000 to what ever you want, the higher the longer for the back up command to be sent to the Rovio. 

PLEASE LET ME BE A BETA TESTER!!!

Pages