New Rovio Beta Firmware Available - Feedback Needed!

254 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fraggboy
Fraggboy's picture

dj_siek said: Hey I hot the new firmware working but only on wep. If I enable wpa on router do I just run setup software on pc to connect to wpa? I Have tried and it simply won't work Can anyone here tell me how they connected via wpa I.e the steps taken? Thanks

I don't use WPA2, just WPA for Rovio.  My laptops use WPA2.  Rovio has a separate SSID.  In the picture, you can see my settings.  The key setting is Auto.  I have some of my logs filtered, so I don't know if Rovio uses TKIP, or AES.  My laptops and other wireless goodies connect via TKIP (More secure than AES).

On Rovio I just put in the WPA password.  Nothing else to do on Rovio. It's mostly configured on your firewall..

jpapavas
jpapavas's picture

Hi, can i know please why don't you just use MAC-Filter security and you need WPA, WPA2?

Best regards,
JPapavas

Fraggboy
Fraggboy's picture

jpapavas said: Hi, can i know please why don't you just use MAC-Filter security and you need WPA, WPA2? Best regards, JPapavas

I do use MAC address filtering with WPA2! A person shouldn't use that alone.   One can use software to change their MAC address.  There are tools out there to sniff for a MAC address.  If a person only uses that for security, they might as well run an open system. 

When you get a second, I suggest you read up how easy it is to perform

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=395

jpapavas
jpapavas's picture

Yes, but a device see if you got the MAC address that has access and
lets you log in to the network.

There is no broadcast MAC address list so someone can "sniff" or any other way, everything happens from the device (AP) internal, so if you got athorization you can login.

The only way is if with UTP cable try to connect, he knows the administrator Password and login to the WEB interface and add the MAC Address alone.

By the way if i did see someone inside my network i will call him home to get a drink or a coffee and tell me how he done it.

By the way don't mess the WEP key with all the others.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Ahhh.... using a wireless network, your MAC address is broadcast to anyone in range (think about it, how does your laptop tell the AP that it is authorized?). All an attack needs to do is sit back and monitor the traffic, then either wait until you stop broadcasting, or knock you offline, and then spoof your MAC to gain total access (spoof as is get his network card to pretend to have your MAC address, which as has been mentioned, is fairly easy to do).

Not to mention that without some form of encryption, an attacker can monitor and record all of you traffic (including any unencrypted usernames/passwords you use to log in to various sites) without having to compromise your network.

I used to have great fun with unsecured networks, I had a little program that would sniff local traffic, and display any images that were transferred.

Clydesdale
Clydesdale's picture

Updated and have the following issues:

Freezes/knocks me off when docking. When I drive the rovio and it docks the video freezes and I have to reload IE, does not happen in Firefox..but that's moot as I get no sound either way in Firefox.

Screen on IE is messed up. The Audio/Video/light etc section is displaying way down the page where you can't see it...have to scroll down to get to it, does not have this problem in firefox.

dafuser
dafuser's picture

Fraggboy said:

jpapavas said: Hi, can i know please why don't you just use MAC-Filter security and you need WPA, WPA2? Best regards, JPapavas

I do use MAC address filtering with WPA2! A person shouldn't use that alone.   One can use software to change their MAC address.  There are tools out there to sniff for a MAC address.  If a person only uses that for security, they might as well run an open system. 

When you get a second, I suggest you read up how easy it is to perform

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=395

Mac filtering is like hiding your SSID, it doesn't really stop anyone from getting on your network, but it makes you feel like you're really protecting your wireless network.

It's trivial to spoof your MAC address and get the SSID someone is trying to hide. You either wait until someone connects to the wireless network, or force a disassociation from a connected station. When the disassociated station connects again.....Presto!!! There's the hidden SSID broadcast to anyone who's sniffing the network. That's because even the authorized stations need to know the SSID to get connected and the AP will broadcast it as required.

Several tools are available to sniff your network passively and you'll never know they're there. WEP is already cracked and basically useless. WPA was recently cracked, but not totally so you're still pretty safe using WPA or WPA2.

Eddie
Eddie's picture

I am using
firmware 5.00b7
IE browser 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_sp3_gdr.
WinXP Pro SP3

Whenever i change my video settings my Mic TO THE rovio stops working but i can still hear the from the rovio... when i adjust either the mic or speaker volume on the rovio then all of a sudden my mic to the rovio works again

Also out of no where my rovio started doing the thing where when going forward it is not smooth... it kinda seems like im pressing he the forward arrow button real fast.......

wierd thing is that the rovio didnt do this when i first updated the firmware it just started doing this now.... maybe its out of battery but it shows 3 out of 4 sticks on the battery life so unless the battery meter is wrong i dont know...

and before i forget ... MERRY CHRISTMAS

Thanks in Advance
Eddie

Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

hey guys..... have a nice xmas!!! :-)

cmilian
cmilian's picture

Merry XMAS !!!!
I hope you get all your needed robotic hardware under the tree !!!!

LoveJustin
LoveJustin's picture

Bad interface for IE in new firmware V5.00b7

Moderator Edit to resize pictures so that they don't bust the thread formatting. Use a RightMouseButton-ViewImage to see the full size that is linked into the thread.

Fraggboy
Fraggboy's picture

I had that also. What I had to do is to reboot Rovio. That cleared my screen up.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

I split off a discussion started here about trouble connecting a Rovio.
It's now in this other thread.

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/14918/Trouble-Connecting-Rovio/

Tomasito
Tomasito's picture

I got for christmas a new rovio. The video suddenly drops for no reason. I tried rebooting the rovio, but it did not fix the issue.

I upgraded the latest firmware. I have not observe any issues. But the problem with the video suddenly dropping still happens. The video dropping happens both in the internal and external internet. For no reason at all the video comes back after a while.

Can anybody help what the problem mybe?

Tomasito

cmilian
cmilian's picture

What browser and OS are you using Tomasito?

RobM
RobM's picture

I would hold tight for about a week...spoke with tech support and was told they are about a week out from releasing the next firmware upgrade.

should resolve some of these bugs

RobM
RobM's picture

Cant seem to get IE and beta version 5 running properly although works find in safari and firefox

Tomasito
Tomasito's picture

IE7 and vista

Tomasito
Tomasito's picture

Thanks for the headsup . I will wait for the new firmware

cmilian
cmilian's picture

Cant wait for the firmware!! and I cnat wait for Robodance 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

zacware
zacware's picture

I got the kids of Rovio for xmas. ($149 at BJ's Wholesale Club so I couldn't resist)

The 5.07B firmware causes my Rovio to move in tiny increments or pulses rather than a continous motion. I'm worried to use it for fear it's going to damage itself shutting on and off so rapidly. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix that?

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

Try a different browser and see if it helps.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Some other people in this thread have reported a "stuttering" motion introduced with this beta. I don't recall anybody expressing a concern about it, other than a jerkiness of the resulting video feed.

Hickory
Hickory's picture

Using IE 7, video smooth but dark, audio fairly clear both ways. Using firefox video 2x better, audio gone wifi connection seems better. Reading the lack of support from the company for simple things like bad AC adaptors, why in the world would folks risk buggering their working rovio's up to work for free for the company as a beta tester? I guess if one liked pain and frustration and redoing networks etc., it might be a good thing to do, but seriously Wowee support from what I am reading appears to be nonexistent.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

The support _is_ the firmware betas. A company with no support would not be working to release updated firmware.

If it weren't for the people willing to work as beta testers, all of the testing would depend upon the company's internal testing, which will only cover just so many variations on networking and operating system options.

Nobody said that beta testing is for everybody, or that it is for those not willing to work around rough edges. Hopefully, with beta test feedback getting back to the firmware developers, the released version will be cleaner than the beta.

Hickory
Hickory's picture

I understand your perspective, I suppose my reluctance is a low level networking experience, learned as I plodded along combined with the fear of blowing all the time I have already expended getting the Rovio to run on a non beta firmware release, which in my opinion cost way too much time and was not helped at all by the dearth of help on the rovio web site. The information I needed to get my Rovio running was not imparted to me by Wowee, but came from the folks using this forum and I am very grateful that there are so many willing to share their knowledge. But knowing that support for getting these things running does not come from the manufacturer, but more from my neighbors I am reluctant to screw up an operating albeit not as well as advertised unit particularly after reading of the problems others are having. Most rovio's haven't been hacked I assume, the firmware is for the robot and not for the computers we are using to run them, so why the need for multiple beta testers if all the rovios are the same?

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Hickory said:
so why the need for multiple beta testers if all the rovios are the same?

Because it is the software running on the Rovio that interacts with the router, it's network settings, and with the browser on the remote system attempting to control the Rovio.

It  is only by trying the server on the Rovio in all of the different WAN and browser combinations that specific problems can be identified and corrected before making the update available for general release.

zacware
zacware's picture

NanoTek said:
Try a different browser and see if it helps.

Thanks! Yes that did the trick. I was using Safari and was getting movement that was pulsing on and off. By switching to Firefox 3.0, it works perfectly. The only other thing I notice as a new Robio user is that the Rovio, as indicated by others, moves from Docked to Roaming while still on the dock, and indicates only 2 bars of charge, but when I move it off the dock, it goes to full bars.

Other than that, my kids and I are having a blast. As an engineer, I'm amazed at how well this thing moves. I had decided not to buy one after reading all the negative reviews, but I ran out to BJ's wholesale club on new years eve to pick up something, saw the Robio on sale, remembered reading it now supported WPA, and decided to take a gamble. Boy am I glad I did. This is a toy that really helps kids appreciate the wonder of science and engineering. Next task is trying out the iPhone app for it.

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

zacware said:

I ran out to BJ's wholesale club on new years eve to pick up something, saw the Robio on sale

Someone reported on this forum that it was bought for $150 at BJ's and I have to say one thing to all who are getting it at or around that price...

P O W E R T O Y O U ! ! !

If you have multiple problems with Rovio they are easier to digest at $150 compared to some of us who paid at least twice that price.

Hickory
Hickory's picture

MrScott said:

Hickory said: so why the need for multiple beta testers if all the rovios are the same?

Because it is the software running on the Rovio that interacts with the router, it's network settings, and with the browser on the remote system attempting to control the Rovio. It  is only by trying the server on the Rovio in all of the different WAN and browser combinations that specific problems can be identified and corrected before making the update available for general release.

I see what you mean and use your wisdom as exactly the reason I ought not upgrade my firmware as the working version was almost beyond my capacity for patience and thoughtful reading  :)  Do you agree that the Rovio web site is not the most helpful?

Pages