New Rovio Beta Firmware Available - Feedback Needed!

254 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ramzez
Ramzez's picture

dCon0ne said:
>... I can't figure out how to connect to Rovio via outside network. I can from inside.
SEARCH this Forum, there several topics about PORT FORWARDING to Rovio's IP Address. Also get yourself a Free :-) Dynamic DNS account from DYNDNS.com. This will make it easier to connect to your Rovio from the Internet.

I understand port forwarding and have set it up on my Limksys WRT54G2 wireless router.

I also have set up the Dyndns account. I have been usinging it for years to VNC to my computer network.

I had a problem with my DSL modem (with 4 ports) that included a mini-router but I solved that by bridging it (turn off the router and the firewall) giving the wirelss router all the duty to rout and firewall.

Ramzez

Ramzez
Ramzez's picture

dCon0ne said:
OK I upgraded to the new Firmware (5.00b7) and now when I try to re-setup Rovio.
  I get as far as putting the Admin Username & Password.  Then I lost connection??????
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm273/dCon0ne/RovioSetupError.jpg
I get the above error using Static 0r Dynamic IP address....

Notice the typo "agen" instead of "again" in the screen shot?

Ramzez
Ramzez's picture

Leebo said:
>... I can't figure out how to connect to Rovio via outside network. I can from inside.
You'll probably need to consult your ISP's gateway documentation...assuming your ISP has provided you a DSL or Cable modem, you'll need to get into the setup program and see how to forward packets from the internet to the appropriate IP address and ports used by the Rovio on your network (Ports 80 and 554).
To access the Rovio from outside, you just need to use your web browser to hit the IP address of your gateway. Assuming your ports are set up correctly, you would then be presented with the Rovio login.
Remember that the IP address of your gateway may change from time to time.

Done all that and understand all of that. ;-)

Still does not work.

Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

Guys... I dont know ... maybe will be useful.... to access external network I'm using port 9090 and 554 (port-forwarded from the Linksys modem to the fixed IP address of the Rovio, In my network it is 192.158.1.200).
I've put "manual" mode in the new (upnp) section of firmware, and rebooted both modem, router and Rovio (before that I was unable to connect, the Rovio must be shotdown and restared after every changes), for some strange reason today dyndns take a lot to update my ip address but after some minutes they works fine, just shutdown and restart modem and touter.

btw I've a lot of problem using DHCP from router itself, I've forwarded the DHCP to the modem and excluded the router (now in bridge mode only)

my two cents...

slats
slats's picture

I feel like i just hit a snow drift. Installed beta v5.00b7 and now i have no access to rovio. Tried to re-install using the installation program v1.6.4 and the program loops after entering my user name and password. The message reads "rovio did not update please try agen by clicking next". (please note the correct spelling is "again"). I saw in some prior threads to use the adhoc mode. I am unfamiliar with such a procedure. If someone can explain further, it would be much appreciated. One step forward three steps back...very frustrating, please advise.

dj_siek
dj_siek's picture

hmm. this has caused big problems for me.

I downloaded the new firmware, uploaded it to rovio. no probs.

I then ran the setup software that came with Rovio originally and could not connect to my wirleess network.

I've since restored rovio and run the setup software again and again and can't connect to my wireless network. It just says "ROvio failed to connect to the wireless network. Do you want to continue anyway?"

I hope I havn't killed Rovio. Help!:)

SoloconDeus
SoloconDeus's picture

dj_siek said: It just says "ROvio failed to connect to the wireless network. Do you want to continue anyway?" I hope I havn't killed Rovio. Help!:)

Tell it to continue anyway. Then make sure to click  DHCP  then keep going (you can enter the IP manually if you know it). You should then be able to access Rovio. Had the same issue and thats what I did.

dj_siek
dj_siek's picture

ah cool that worked thanks SoloconDeus!

Now i've just gotta get wpa working! :)

Eddie
Eddie's picture

First let me start off by saying thank you for the update....

My Primary problem is
I leave Rovio docked at night with a status of DOCKED
I wake up in the morning and the status always changes from DOCKED to ROAMING
I check on the ROVIO and it does not seem to of physically moved BUT it is not charging so all i simply do is tap the reverse button and the status changes back to DOCKED and it begins charging again

Secondary Problem is
i can not set the home button on my ROVIO... when i set the home button to its recharge base it leaves the base changes the camera position from low to high 3 then gives up... it doesnt freeze becaus i can still control it but it will never make it back to its home base

When controlling the ROVIO i know you can use the keyboard to go
UP ARROW KEY - forward
DOWN ARROW KEY - backward
LEFT ARROW KEY - strafe left
RIGHT ARROW KEY - strafe right

Since using the mouse can be a pain in the butt i was wondering if you could add the following keys

Q - 45 degrees left
E - 45 degrees right
A - 90 degrees left
D - 90 degress right
Z - 135 degrees left
C - 135 degrees right
X - 180 degrees

1 - camera at 0 degrees
2 - camera at X degrees
3 - camera at Y degrees
4 - camera at Z degrees

My second request is
PLEASE add more camera angles..... you do not need to change the interface just give us the ability to press the button's 1,2,3,4,5 etc.........on the keyboard to change the camera angle.......

Ill add more as i remember them....

Thanks in Advance
Eddie

dj_siek
dj_siek's picture

hey all,

has anyone succesfully got wpa working with this firmware?

I change my router to wpa with a 64 or 63 code (numbers/letters), run the setup software and enter the code. and rovio can't connect.

if you have got it going - can you expain the steps?

Cheers

my_ROVIO
my_ROVIO's picture

wowee can you add to the video control a contrast,and other video settings.I can take my built in web camera on laptop and play with the color,birghtness,sharpness,and make the video green which worked for low lighting.i use that for night video confrencing in my car.

dj_siek
dj_siek's picture

Wow I have seen a huge improvement in the paths.

surely i'm not alone. They played backed basically perfect. Mine were quite random on the previous firmware.

awesome!

Fraggboy
Fraggboy's picture

Testing the new firmware... So far with a few test runs:

Rotating degrees buttons rotate, but after Rovio finishes rotating the specified degree, Rovio still keeps on rotating for a while.

I don't use Upnp to forward any ports in my network. I use a VIP. External access is the same.

I have to say that Rovio connects beautifully with WPA. No need to select a box on the page. Just place the WPA password in the box and that's it!! I LOVE it!

Using Firefox externally I don't have any audio. I am only forwarding port 80. I just read the Blue Question mark next to Internet Access:
"Forward 2 ports on your internet router to ports 80 and 554 on your Rovio (if uPnP is enabled on your router this can be done automatically)."
I'm sure audio will work when I forward port 554 also.

I have tried setting 2 very easy paths. All the time the status said "Roaming". Rovio failed to get to both paths. Ceiling is standard 8 foot.

Other than that video seems the same. Framerate is the same in my network accessing Rovio internally or externally.

WowWee, can you work on adjusting the video brightness section? It would seem that the poor video in low light can be adjusted via firmware..

TLVR
TLVR's picture

Hi there.

OK, just updated to Firmware v5.00b7.
And tested 4 internet browsers for Windows.

Using Safari browser version 3.2.1 (525.27.1) (for Windows Vista):

-WPA Key works fine!

-Can't enable/disable User Authentification.

Using Firefox browser version 3.0.5 (for Windows Vista):

-GOOD Results

Using Opera browser version 9.63 (for Windows Vista):

-BAD results: Very Very Slow

Using Internet Explorer browser version 7.0.6001.18000 (for Windows Vista):

-BAD results: No Video

I hope this helps. Smile

Fraggboy
Fraggboy's picture

TLVR said: Using Internet Explorer browser version 7.0.6001.18000 (for Windows Vista): -BAD results: No Video I hope this helps. Smile

Did the previous firmware work in IE for you?  When I upgraded to the new firmware, I received the red "X" for a few times. I had to refresh the screen until I received the download and install Active X box.  After that IE works great.

Fraggboy
Fraggboy's picture
Ramzez
Ramzez's picture

Windows Vista results

Here is a view with camera up. With the ceiling fan moving I will comment on the video quality at full resulution and full fps . This pic is from IE on Vista machine.

Firmware v
document.write(UI_VERSION)
5.00b7
document.write(returnHelpBtn('firmware_version_help') had to fidd had to fiddle a lot with the installation of the Firware but now everything works from inside my network. Have not succeeded in connecting from outside my network. I found that there were less problems with the setting changes in Safari (Whe it makes you wait 30sec for reboot of Rovio). It still froze at the end of the count down but once you Rebooted Rovio and restarted the browser (close the browser window and open it up again)it worked fine.

IE 7.0.6 Works fine. Audio in both direction works fine. Video is great at max speed and resolution.

FireFox 3.05 Same as IE but of course no sound. Video is more choppy.

Safari 3.21 video setting Quicktime => video works great but has some strange pixelation. Sound from Rovio to computer works (but not from computer to Rovio as indicated by WowWee).

Safari 3.21 Jpeg video setting => Good speed. Very little pixelation (almost not to speak of). No sound of course.

Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHAHAHAHA!!!
GREAAAT!!!!
I'm back in N(G compatible) Radio Mode 'cause WPA/WPA2 is now working fine!
a big big biiiig THAAAAANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(not yet solved the Quicktime mystery yet... I will try everything to achieve audio on my mac... :))

Jimcking
Jimcking's picture

I tried 5.00b7 also.  Although the screen fromats OK on the Mac Air it does not on IE now.  The controls for headlight etc. are now lower on the right side of the screen so that I have to scroll down to see them.  YUK!  Are other people seeing this also.

Quicktime on the MAC now works for audio (oneway from Rovio to the MAC) on the local network.  Audio is delayed about 2 seconds.  Quicktime does not seem to work over the internet.  Tried forwarding ports 8168, 80, 81, 82, and 554 manually and using uPnP.  Neither worked.  Although I am using DynDNS I have a local computer on the network doing the update and not Rovio.  Using MJPEG and MPEG4 still work fine over the internet.

Rovio has also crashed about 5 times with the new firmware usually right after updating settings.

Jim K.

Ramzez
Ramzez's picture

I found updating the Network settings with Safari (Apple browser for windows) I had less problems. It feezes sometimes after the 30 sec reboot countdown but not everytime. When it does freeze I reboot Rovio and reopen the browser page.

TLVR
TLVR's picture

Fraggboy said:

TLVR said: Using Internet Explorer browser version 7.0.6001.18000 (for Windows Vista): -BAD results: No Video I hope this helps. Smile

Did the previous firmware work in IE for you?  When I upgraded to the new firmware, I received the red "X" for a few times. I had to refresh the screen until I received the download and install Active X box.  After that IE works great.

The previous firmware (version 4.09 beta) didn't work in IE (7.0.6001.18000) for me.
Only the stable version (version 3.97) works fine.

Is your Operating System VISTA SP1?

Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

For me the 4.09beta works fine in IE7 (7.0.2900.2180).
Used a lot on an XP+SP3 partition because I was the only way to use audio.

SoloconDeus
SoloconDeus's picture

USER access is not working correctly.
Has any one tried to ceate just a USER access? As long as I have Admin access I can use Rovio as intended woth little problem. If I login with only USER access rights all I get is the camera and video, the movement controls do not work.

I use IE 7 on a PC, and no-ip.com to access rovio, I also have this problem over the lan inside the house.

dafuser
dafuser's picture

SoloconDeus said:

USER access is not working correctly.
Has any one tried to ceate just a USER access? As long as I have Admin access I can use Rovio as intended woth little problem. If I login with only USER access rights all I get is the camera and video, the movement controls do not work.

I have the same issue with mine. When I access Rovio across the Internet I am alway prompted for a user name and password. I enter the users name and password for the non-admin user but Rovio is actually asking for the Admin name and password.

Using Safari on my PowerBook running 10.5.6 results in Safari sucking most of my CPU power and making the PowerBook unresponsive or so slow to respond as to be unusable. Using Firefox 3.0.5 on my MacBook seems to work without killing the CPU on my MacBook.

SoloconDeus
SoloconDeus's picture

Here is a thought. It would be nice to have a way to shut down rovio from across the room. You know for those moments in life the world doesn't need to see. What about an update that uses the WowWee Roboremote to turn Rovios eyes and ears off. It would also be great to have Rovio play a sound for each individual user that logs in.

Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

dafuser said:
I have the same issue with mine. When I access Rovio across the Internet I am alway prompted for a user name and password. I enter the users name and password for the non-admin user but Rovio is actually asking for the Admin name and password.

Never used the admin, I'm using my usual Giobatta user and works fine, both inside the LAN and outside, but I changed the password for the admin, actually I'm using the same pwd for both the accounts, maybe it is for that reason it works?

dafuser said:
Using Safari on my PowerBook running 10.5.6 results in Safari sucking most of my CPU power and making the PowerBook unresponsive or so slow to respond as to be unusable. Using Firefox 3.0.5 on my MacBook seems to work without killing the CPU on my MacBook.

same here, reported some posts ago, both the cores of the iMac are at 80% using Safari 3.2.1, but I noticed also a faster framerate in Safari (atm I'm using 640x480 without lag, outside the network)
not tryied Firefox yet, the video quality and brightness are identical to Safari (I read on Windows this change a lot depending of the browser) ?

cmilian
cmilian's picture

Did the Update, everything configured fine. But my rovio stutters now. It hesitates to move forward at times on both local and external networks.

cowboyctx
cowboyctx's picture

Mine did he same. I switched back to 3.97 and 4.09 and no problems with stutter. Which router are you using? I have Buffalo WHR-G54S. I also have tried using Apple Safari and I think the stutter is worse. IE7 seems to work better.

cmilian
cmilian's picture

I am using Vista 64 Bit, IE 7.0.6 and My router is a Belkin F5D8233 N Router

dj_siek
dj_siek's picture

Hey I hot the new firmware working but only on wep. If I enable wpa on router do I just run setup software on pc to connect to wpa? I Have tried and it simply won't work

Can anyone here tell me how they connected via wpa I.e the steps taken?

Thanks

Pages