New Rovio Beta Firmware Available - Feedback Needed!

254 posts / 0 new
Last post
epyon
epyon's picture

$150 is a definitely a steal. Hopefully the price is moving in that direction and in a couple months the firmware will be stable. Then I can buy a second Rovio that I can install at my family's house without the fear that it will be constantly out of commission for one reason or another.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Hickory said:Do you agree that the Rovio web site is not the most helpful?

I don't own a Rovio. I haven't tried to debug problems with one. I'm just trying to keep things moving smoothly here on RoboCommunity as part of my volunteer efforts as a moderator.

This week I'm mostly directing new folks visiting the community to the information that is already provided in other threads.

The explanation of beta testing is standard practice for complex products of all sorts.

Nipahc
Nipahc's picture

I got the "Upgrade and Die" result. So I thought, ends up I am at 5.00B7 though.

Tech hates me though, Upgrades always kill me especially if beta.

I don't know if its the Firmware or what but my battery usage is really messed up, never says above 80% (2 days old Rovio) and half the time it doesn't charge. Is it really charging correctly I hope?!? :(

I like the updated menu and the savable options, I haven't been able to get Internet access since I first setup on the first day when I had the original firmware. :( Then it had no issues at all, now even with uPnP and ports open he won't be friends with my router.

He does seem to handle better though.

Maybe suggest that someone may add in a "stop trying to go home!" button? Lost my home from a kid bumping into it and Rovio was having a fit, tried to override it and guide him back home but we just fought each other till I could get him reset in the base.

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

Watch this fight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gtPtKZSckc&eurl=http://www.robocommunity...

Nipahc said:  a kid bumping into it and Rovio was having a fit, tried to override it and guide him back home but we just fought each other till I could get him reset in the base.

Rovio needs a new coach... Like Rocky Balboa's coach saying

Come on Rovio, Get up and fight like a bot!!!

cowboycctx
cowboycctx's picture

Nipahc said: I got the "Upgrade and Die" result. So I thought, ends up I am at 5.00B7 though. Tech hates me though, Upgrades always kill me especially if beta. I don't know if its the Firmware or what but my battery usage is really messed up, never says above 80% (2 days old Rovio) and half the time it doesn't charge. Is it really charging correctly I hope?!? :( I like the updated menu and the savable options, I haven't been able to get Internet access since I first setup on the first day when I had the original firmware. :( Then it had no issues at all, now even with uPnP and ports open he won't be friends with my router. He does seem to handle better though. Maybe suggest that someone may add in a "stop trying to go home!" button? Lost my home from a kid bumping into it and Rovio was having a fit, tried to override it and guide him back home but we just fought each other till I could get him reset in the base.

My stop button works for me, its on the PATH tab.

epyon
epyon's picture

Well after a few days of what appeared to be a good run with 5.00b7 my Rovio, which already came plagued with the dreaded "battery" problem, seems to be powering down despite being on the charger. I was thrilled with the support of WPA as this really has allowed me to tie my entire network back together. I wasn't committed enough to run a second router explicitly for WEP being that my homework is already unnecessarily complex and, well, I simply didn't have the motivation. It appears now that 5.00b7 has aggravated the battery draining further to the point that it doesn't hold any charge whatsoever. WowWee is still supposedly looking into the causality for the battery issue and they're in the process of mailing me a replacement battery as prior treatment to a full on RMA. I'll have to test again once this comes in but being that I'm not terribly eager to switch my network back over to WEP my Rovio is going to be offline until I either get a new battery, a new Rovio, or a firmware upgrade that fixes this.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

I would return Rovio and get a new one... Some people waited 3 weeks for their replacement adaptors.

Three weeks with Rovio collecting dust. Not much fun in that.

epyon
epyon's picture

Its not really an issue to be honest. I can exchange it anytime with Hammacher. It has, however, become somewhat personal now and I'd like to see what the solution turns out to be. I'm sure there will come a time when I simply run out patience, but until then I'm working with support to try and resolve it. There are those who probably don't have the option of returning their Rovio so I'd like find out what measures they can take to fix this.

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

I hope that WowWee's support is as gracious with you as you are with them.

All the best

cowboycctx
cowboycctx's picture

Here is a HTM file I have been experimenting with to keep the Rovio on the dock charging USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.. It will send a backup command about every hour to the Rovio. You will need to change all the IP's addresses and port (41 of them) to match your. (they are 111.222.333.444:5555). After you make the changes you can double click the file and run from your hard drive. Let me know if the works or not. Also USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I have been using it for a few days and have not had any problems. I can still only get 80% on my battery display from the Rovio web page.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
http://24.155.196.19:8085/share/
Right click on charge.htm and select save as

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Fraggboy
Fraggboy's picture

cowboycctx said: Here is a HTM file I have been experimenting with to keep the Rovio on the dock charging USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.. It will send a backup command about every hour to the Rovio. You will need to change all the IP's addresses and port (41 of them) to match your. (they are 111.222.333.444:5555). After you make the changes you can double click the file and run from your hard drive. Let me know if the works or not. Also USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I have been using it for a few days and have not had any problems. I can still only get 80% on my battery display from the Rovio web page. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. http://24.155.196.19:8085/share/ Right click on charge.htm and select save as USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Really neat!!  I checked it out.  I assume you would want feedback?  First off, when you hold any of the directional buttons, it only goes a small distance.  When I got off of the dock and tried to back up, it couldn't back up.

It does backup at a predetermined time.  The video is choppy, but it does what you wanted it to do.  Backup on the dock every once in a while to keep the battery charged.

Thank you very much for sharing your creation with us. I truly appreciate your hard work!!

cowboycctx
cowboycctx's picture

Your welcome. I have been playing around with the application to learn how the HTM/java script works. If you use Google Chrome the video is faster. All of the code was captured from the Rovio, I have just added a few lines here and there.

look for these lines to change the time for backing up. I picked this amount but you can change it to any number. Just don't go to low you might over work the motor.

// Charge Function is the backup command,every second is about 1000
setInterval("Charge();" , 120000);

Fraggboy
Fraggboy's picture

Sweet!! I would probably switch it longer than 2 minutes. For myself, I will be switching it to backup every hour.

What would be nice is to just have a blank webpage that would send the backup command at a certain interval. Reason why I say that, is if someone is accessing Rovio externally this could use a lot of bandwidth with the streaming video. I use Verizon Wireless Broadband card for external access. Just refreshing the page would be bandwidth frendly..

Also, this could be run on a server (If one has one running 24/7)..

Just my $0.02 worth..

cowboycctx
cowboycctx's picture

I have another file with the video tured off called Charge_novideo.htm 

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

http://24.155.196.19:8085/share/
Right click on charge_novideo.htm and select save as

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

ScreenSaver
ScreenSaver's picture

My first impressions. As I configured my Rovio in adhoc-mode, and immediatly uploaded the firmware, no installatieon-issues or so ever. WPA is working great by the way.

But, uploading images thru email is in my case an issue, I tried to use my ISP's mailserver on port 25 without authentication, and our own on port 2525 with smtp-authentication ... No mail !

Another thing is the brightness of the image. Only in clear sunshine (inside the house), the picture is clear.

Requests : Motion- and sounddetection and the abitity to schedule a

Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

NanoTek said:
I would return Rovio and get a new one... Some people waited 3 weeks for their replacement adaptors.
Three weeks with Rovio collecting dust. Not much fun in that.

and consider you are lucky :-)

some people like me was asked to send both the adaptor and the dock, and international shipping is not exactly free ... aside the couple of months awaiting ..... however you miss the point: the new adaptor is cheap as the old one.... my suggestion is to buy a decent switching adaptor (10 to 20$?), 9v 3A at least, after I changed my adaptor I never experienced problems (NO network disconnections, NO battery taking too much time to charge, battery reach ALWAYS 100%, and no more short life out of the dock)

with new firmware 5.x I'm not experiencing any problem (aside the QT not working but this is another story...), and, wow, no more "stuttering" motion (which I think was caused by unstable wifi connection due to poor charge)

my 0.000000000000000000000000000000002 cents....

epyon
epyon's picture

I'll give that a shot, but I'm not sure why I would be sent a new battery if the adapter was the issue. Based of what I've read on these forums over the last couple months it seems there is more than one issue one can have that causes poor (or no) retention of the charge.

Leebo
Leebo's picture

Any suggestions for the make/model of adapter available in the USA that will take 110ac and deliver 9V@3A?

Praha_rovio
Praha_rovio's picture

Once I turned off Norton for setup - Had none of the issues uploading or connecting, accessing locally and remote with cname setup too.

Paths:
However, Rovio cant do paths now. I record a path and when I click on it to play nothing happens, clicking again selects path name for Rename Path??? Applies to IE, FFox and chrome.

Navigation:
Being able to drag the picture of rovio on the web interface works much better. But, in general Navigation doesnt seem to work as well and rovio struggles to go home IR on or off.

Also coverage of beacons is limited looks like at least 3 would be required mid size rooms taking furniture into account. But I dont know where to buy in europe.

Mobile:
I also tried connecting with a windows mobile 6 device - rovio webserver recognises the mobile device and mobile page comes up and can move rovio fwd/back/left / right. There is no video just stills which require refresh of page to update. however, unlike the direction buttons the HOME, CAMERA buttons etc use .JS and mobile IE cant run them so they dont work. I opened the .js file and tried the commands and they work. Suggest changing them to links as for the directions. This should be an easy fix

Sound is much better although only in IE

Other general issues -

Camera still terrible in low light this is a must fix!!!

Crashes if more than one user logs on

No option to turn blue LED's off - please change this so I dont have to open rovio up!!!!!!!!!!!

Battery dosent seem to be great - Does anyone Know the colour of the batteries or serial numbers with issues as described in other posts?

Should be a snooze function in dock so that rovio can be left on all the time. I.e Lights turn off, camera off, battery stops charging...

Guest option is a good idea but should be able to control what guest can and cant do. would be nice to add:

pop-up instructions for new guests
Recorded videos
routes for guests
acesss request for more useage
time based access...

Bring on the accessories:
User swapable camera to Night cam
Mini USB powered movement sensor/ on command lights

Oh and as we all seem to be beta testers paying for the honor discounts should be applied.

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

Giobatta said:

some people like me was asked to send both the adaptor and the dock, and international shipping is not exactly free ... aside the couple of months awaiting ...

WowWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! The stories only get juicier.

Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

NanoTek said:

Giobatta said:

some people like me was asked to send both the adaptor and the dock, and international shipping is not exactly free ... aside the couple of months awaiting ...

WowWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! The stories only get juicier.

lol, not Wowwee "US" fault ... or... ehm ... let me says the european agent wants that ....

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

WowWee wanted you to ship the adaptor and the dock, or someone unconnected to WowWee?

Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

NanoTek said:
WowWee wanted you to ship the adaptor and the dock, or someone unconnected to WowWee?

I contacted Wowwee US, they send me the email of the euro agency, I forwarded my request to the new address, after my email
the official Wowwee european agent asked me for that, but I noticed the US resident was processed in a different way (eg: they receive the adaptor without sending anything), so, maybe I can call this the usual ... ergh... second class citiz... ergh ... european behavior ;)

a bit sad because the "died adaptor" ("flickering lights in the dock") is a well know problem (at least from the users) and I dont see any decent excuse to send all the big box to BE (Benelux? Belgium? I dont know, I bought another adapter by myself, because costs less than the full shipping)

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

WowWee is WowWee is WowWee no matter where they are. I also know that Europeans pay more than americans for their Rovio... In some cases it's roughly $500 US.

So, you paid more money for Rovio because you live in Europe... then you paid for International shipping through no fault of your own, which is not cheap, and then you decided to buy your own adapter and recently were looking for a battery pack for Rovio.

Start adding up your cost and see what you get converted to US dollars.

What you get is... WOWWWEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Ed
Ed's picture

The upgrade did not go smoothly.
Windows XP
Linksys WRG200 Internet Modem Router Combo
Merely turning the rovio to get it to connect to the wireless network causes the laptop to lose connection with the router. Also causes the router to lose connection to the internet. The Rovio has to be turned off and the router/modem power cycled to get it back. At this point I can't figure out how to get back to 4.09 which worked fine.

Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

NanoTek said:
WowWee is WowWee is WowWee no matter where they are. I also know that Europeans pay more than americans for their Rovio... In some cases it's roughly $500 US.

So, you paid more money for Rovio because you live in Europe... then you paid for International shipping through no fault of your own, which is not cheap, and then you decided to buy your own adapter and recently were looking for a battery pack for Rovio.
Start adding up your cost and see what you get converted to US dollars.

What you get is... WOWWWEEEEEEE!!!!!!

money matters .... here's the data:

I paid the Rovio *only* 300 euros = 422 USD because I'm out of VAT (I'm a consultant, not employee, with a separate VAT number, so I dont need to pay taxes for these stuff ... a bit complex matter, for US resident I have an IRS code) however, for the "common people" here the price is around 520 USD (422 USD + 20% VAT)

actually the price lowered a bit, check
http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=175811&partner=register
*only* 360 USD (excluded shipping and custom fees, easily ill go up to 400 USD)

with $20 for the adaptor I solved any problems, also with battery, which is now charging correctly at 100% (and last more than an hour)

I would like for the future customers if Rovio US will spread his knowledge base to their agents and make a bit easier replacements of parts under warranty also in the old continent, at least for know problems (like the adaptor)

my two bucks...

cmilian
cmilian's picture

What "adaptor" ?????????????????????

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

cmilian said:

What "adaptor" ?????????????????????

The adapter(s) mentioned in this thread http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/14715/Charging-Dock-Out-Of-Ord...

Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

Switching AC/DC adaptor 5DC to 24DC (programmable thru resistors) 3.8A
BTW the plug used by the dock is not used in Europe so I cutted the original cable and attached the wire to the new adaptor soldering a female/male "standard" (here) plug.
Battery is fine, just needs the correct voltage inputs to charge well, then works like a breeze.

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

Giobatta said:

the plug used by the dock is not used in Europe

The plug was not easy for me to find in North America as well, so I can see how could have been difficult to find in Europe.

Cheers

Pages