OUR NETWORK: TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 1.08611E7
December 18, 2008 12:04 PM

Categories: WowWee Beta Firmware & Software Rovio

Rating (1 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

Peter Redmer

Administrator

Hello everyone,

We're excited to announce that WowWee is looking for additional beta testers for the newest version of the Rovio firmware, 5.00b7.

You can snag this version of the firmware in our downloads area by clicking here.

Once you get a chance to test the new firmware, please come back to this thread and post your feedback for WowWee.  We'd love to hear how the installation process goes and all the details of how the new firmware works for you.

Looking forward to the results and your contributions to making Rovio the best it can be, happy testing!

Peter Redmer
Administrator
Blog | Twitter

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 31-45 of 255 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 617 Next »

December 20, 2008 8:39 AM

Fraggboy said:

Giobatta,

If you see the "Q" only, that generally means that Quicktime isn't installed or properly associated.

Fraggboy, no offense but this is impossible, QT is THE default media player for any Mac, is installed by default and automatically updated by Apple (just like WMP on Windows).

I see the big Q with the bar scrolling left and right, like it is loading something, but never happens also after several minutes :(

December 20, 2008 9:19 AM

dCon0ne said: >... I can't figure out how to connect to Rovio via outside network. I can from inside. SEARCH this Forum, there several topics about PORT FORWARDING to Rovio's IP Address. Also get yourself a Free :-) Dynamic DNS account from DYNDNS.com. This will make it easier to connect to your Rovio from the Internet.

I understand port forwarding and have set it up on my Limksys WRT54G2 wireless router.

I also have set up the Dyndns account. I have been usinging it for years to VNC to my computer network.

I had a problem with my DSL modem (with 4 ports) that included a mini-router but I solved that by bridging it (turn off the router and the firewall) giving the wirelss router all the duty to rout and firewall.

Ramzez

Rovio User Group
Come into the room and I will see if I can help you
Paltalk ID:ramzez1974
http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/14882

December 20, 2008 9:21 AM

dCon0ne said: OK I upgraded to the new Firmware (5.00b7) and now when I try to re-setup Rovio.   I get as far as putting the Admin Username & Password.  Then I lost connection?????? http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm273/dCon0ne/RovioSetupError.jpg I get the above error using Static 0r Dynamic IP address....

Notice the typo "agen" instead of "again" in the screen shot?

Rovio User Group

December 20, 2008 9:24 AM

Leebo said: >... I can't figure out how to connect to Rovio via outside network. I can from inside. You'll probably need to consult your ISP's gateway documentation...assuming your ISP has provided you a DSL or Cable modem, you'll need to get into the setup program and see how to forward packets from the internet to the appropriate IP address and ports used by the Rovio on your network (Ports 80 and 554). To access the Rovio from outside, you just need to use your web browser to hit the IP address of your gateway. Assuming your ports are set up correctly, you would then be presented with the Rovio login. Remember that the IP address of your gateway may change from time to time.

Done all that and understand all of that. ;-)

Still does not work.

Rovio User Group

December 20, 2008 10:44 AM updated: December 20, 2008 10:47 AM

Guys... I dont know ... maybe will be useful.... to access external network I'm using port 9090 and 554 (port-forwarded from the Linksys modem to the fixed IP address of the Rovio, In my network it is 192.158.1.200).
I've put "manual" mode in the new (upnp) section of firmware, and rebooted both modem, router and Rovio (before that I was unable to connect, the Rovio must be shotdown and restared after every changes), for some strange reason today dyndns take a lot to update my ip address but after some minutes they works fine, just shutdown and restart modem and touter.

btw I've a lot of problem using DHCP from router itself, I've forwarded the DHCP to the modem and excluded the router (now in bridge mode only)

my two cents...

December 20, 2008 3:50 PM

I feel like i just hit a snow drift. Installed beta v5.00b7 and now i have no access to rovio. Tried to re-install using the installation program v1.6.4 and the program loops after entering my user name and password. The message reads "rovio did not update please try agen by clicking next". (please note the correct spelling is "again"). I saw in some prior threads to use the adhoc mode. I am unfamiliar with such a procedure. If someone can explain further, it would be much appreciated. One step forward three steps back...very frustrating, please advise.

December 20, 2008 4:11 PM

hmm. this has caused big problems for me.

I downloaded the new firmware, uploaded it to rovio. no probs.

I then ran the setup software that came with Rovio originally and could not connect to my wirleess network.

I've since restored rovio and run the setup software again and again and can't connect to my wireless network. It just says "ROvio failed to connect to the wireless network. Do you want to continue anyway?"

I hope I havn't killed Rovio. Help!:)

December 20, 2008 5:01 PM

dj_siek said: It just says "ROvio failed to connect to the wireless network. Do you want to continue anyway?" I hope I havn't killed Rovio. Help!:)

Tell it to continue anyway. Then make sure to click  DHCP  then keep going (you can enter the IP manually if you know it). You should then be able to access Rovio. Had the same issue and thats what I did.

December 20, 2008 5:21 PM

ah cool that worked thanks SoloconDeus!

Now i've just gotta get wpa working! :)

December 20, 2008 6:21 PM

First let me start off by saying thank you for the update....

My Primary problem is
I leave Rovio docked at night with a status of DOCKED
I wake up in the morning and the status always changes from DOCKED to ROAMING
I check on the ROVIO and it does not seem to of physically moved BUT it is not charging so all i simply do is tap the reverse button and the status changes back to DOCKED and it begins charging again

Secondary Problem is
i can not set the home button on my ROVIO... when i set the home button to its recharge base it leaves the base changes the camera position from low to high 3 then gives up... it doesnt freeze becaus i can still control it but it will never make it back to its home base

When controlling the ROVIO i know you can use the keyboard to go
UP ARROW KEY - forward
DOWN ARROW KEY - backward
LEFT ARROW KEY - strafe left
RIGHT ARROW KEY - strafe right

Since using the mouse can be a pain in the butt i was wondering if you could add the following keys

Q - 45 degrees left
E - 45 degrees right
A - 90 degrees left
D - 90 degress right
Z - 135 degrees left
C - 135 degrees right
X - 180 degrees

1 - camera at 0 degrees
2 - camera at X degrees
3 - camera at Y degrees
4 - camera at Z degrees

My second request is
PLEASE add more camera angles..... you do not need to change the interface just give us the ability to press the button's 1,2,3,4,5 etc.........on the keyboard to change the camera angle.......

Ill add more as i remember them....

Thanks in Advance
Eddie

December 20, 2008 7:43 PM

hey all,

has anyone succesfully got wpa working with this firmware?

I change my router to wpa with a 64 or 63 code (numbers/letters), run the setup software and enter the code. and rovio can't connect.

if you have got it going - can you expain the steps?

Cheers

December 20, 2008 9:34 PM

wowee can you add to the video control a contrast,and other video settings.I can take my built in web camera on laptop and play with the color,birghtness,sharpness,and make the video green which worked for low lighting.i use that for night video confrencing in my car.

December 20, 2008 10:53 PM

Wow I have seen a huge improvement in the paths.

surely i'm not alone. They played backed basically perfect. Mine were quite random on the previous firmware.

awesome!

December 21, 2008 4:51 AM

Testing the new firmware... So far with a few test runs:

Rotating degrees buttons rotate, but after Rovio finishes rotating the specified degree, Rovio still keeps on rotating for a while.

I don't use Upnp to forward any ports in my network. I use a VIP. External access is the same.

I have to say that Rovio connects beautifully with WPA. No need to select a box on the page. Just place the WPA password in the box and that's it!! I LOVE it!

Using Firefox externally I don't have any audio. I am only forwarding port 80. I just read the Blue Question mark next to Internet Access:
"Forward 2 ports on your internet router to ports 80 and 554 on your Rovio (if uPnP is enabled on your router this can be done automatically)."
I'm sure audio will work when I forward port 554 also.

I have tried setting 2 very easy paths. All the time the status said "Roaming". Rovio failed to get to both paths. Ceiling is standard 8 foot.

Other than that video seems the same. Framerate is the same in my network accessing Rovio internally or externally.

WowWee, can you work on adjusting the video brightness section? It would seem that the poor video in low light can be adjusted via firmware..

December 21, 2008 4:55 AM

Hi there.

OK, just updated to Firmware v5.00b7.
And tested 4 internet browsers for Windows.

Using Safari browser version 3.2.1 (525.27.1) (for Windows Vista):

-WPA Key works fine!

-Can't enable/disable User Authentification.

Using Firefox browser version 3.0.5 (for Windows Vista):

-GOOD Results

Using Opera browser version 9.63 (for Windows Vista):

-BAD results: Very Very Slow

Using Internet Explorer browser version 7.0.6001.18000 (for Windows Vista):

-BAD results: No Video

I hope this helps. Smile

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 31-45 of 255 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 617 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window