ROVIO PROBLEMS.Please list all your problems.

67 posts / 0 new
Last post
milw
milw's picture

Sparten, you have Rovio already powered up and the Setup program running before you connect the USB cable? I've seen Rovio show as an external drive if you plug the USB first, then turn Rovio power on.

sparten
sparten's picture

ya i did all that, i have 3 of them the other two work great. i have tried every concivable configuration and version of the software to try to resurect rovio but alas all was for naught. completely dead. looks like the memory is totaly wiped somehow. will keep trying to get it up and running. may have to sacrife it for testing. if nothing else may be a good cadaver for testing upgrades. which is why i originaly bought 3 of them.

cya check out my web site and my other robots. i have some good videos there to watch. including my original version of an omni wheeled combat robot.

www.phantasm1.com video link.

thanks

Usul
Usul's picture

Specific 90 degree turns commands have stopped working. 5.007b firmware. Rovio just starts spinning when command is given and won't stop until another is given. Turn arrows and drive commands work fine. Can follow path (more or less) and finds home just fine.

Musa
Musa's picture

Hi there. Let me just re word what i was saying. My rovio does not work if it has been idle for more then a day. The rovio will work once i set it up using windows software. I can switch it off and on and it still remembers its setting. However if is powered off for a while i can not see it on the web browser with the ip address on it. I then have to restore it back to factory setting and reinstall it. Hope that makes sense.

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

Hmm, that is strange indeed. One thing you might want to try is giving your Rovio a static IP. It's possible that the IP the Rovio obtained was being taken by another device. This is unlikely, but possible. Giving it a static IP will ensure that you can use the same IP to access Rovio, rather than even giving it the chance to have a dynamic IP.

Give that a shot and see if it works. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure how to diagnose your problem... perhaps one of the other robotics experts here can help in that case!

Let us know how it goes, I'm really hoping we can help.

Musa
Musa's picture

Hi Peter, Thanks. I don't think the IP address was taken up by any devices. I will try to set the rovio up using the adhoc guide for mac os and see if it does the trick.

Alan B
Alan B's picture

My only problem is my Rovio is effectively a nite light. All lights and no power. As far as it moveing on its own without user control well thats just Skynet trying to assert authority. Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range should take care of that.

Usul
Usul's picture

Musa, did your problem get resolved?

cowboyctx
cowboyctx's picture

Alan B said:

My only problem is my Rovio is effectively a nite light. All lights and no power. As far as it moveing on its own without user control well thats just Skynet trying to assert authority. Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range should take care of that.

If your Rovio is out of warranty and you don't mind opening it up, you could put a switch on the main wire to LEDs to turn on and off manually.

Alan B
Alan B's picture

Nah I actually like the LEDs. Thought about trying some type of reflectors to concentrae the light forward if I could find some cone shaped ones. Main part just wont come on. All I got is lights. A friend said he would help me find the problem because he kept up on all this stuff and I never thought I'd use it. Also his training was more extensive.

DaveL
DaveL's picture

Problems:

Optical encoders failures in wheel.

Lack of responsiveness by Wowwee customer support.

Rob
Rob's picture

Alan B said:
Nah I actually like the LEDs. Thought about trying some type of reflectors to concentrae the light forward ...

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/14349/Rovio-with-Rear-mounted-...

low end reflectorsworking reflectors

Alan B
Alan B's picture

Does anybody know how many amps a 5v regulator should have for the rovio?

richard1955
richard1955's picture

i have spent 3 years with my cyber buddy - she found rovio and wanted him but she is nit able to control him with standard numbers on command the only thing that responds is the light switch and snap shot is their a way around this - other then that she loves it

magnetron
magnetron's picture

hello

me too, i have a big weird problem with my rovio :
i make an update with the last firmware and the last usb connexion software
i connect my pc on my rovio, i run the rovio setup
it's working,
the rovio find my wifi network ( no wep , open network )
all test is fine
but when it ask an IP, if i choose dhcp; rovio take 0.0.0.0, like if rovio don't receive any ip
and when i choose a static ip ( a free ip ) on the same subnetwork of my PC and my wifi access, after i never can to access rovio with this ip adress !

have you any idea ?
regards

Joao
Joao's picture

Hi, I've just bought my Rovio.
When I was doing the first set up, it made an upgrade in the firmware, and then the led from the power turned fixed red, and the USB conection is gone. I turn it on and off, but the power led doesn't blink, just stays fixed red, like it was dead, and I can't acess it from my computer. What can I do?

Joao
Joao's picture

Hi, IÂ’ve just received my new Rovio, and when I was doing updating the firmware for the first time via USB, he shut down, because I thought he was fully charged but it wasnÂ’t (maybe my catÂ’s moved it away from the docking station wile charging).
When IÂ’ve fully charged it again and tried to reconnect, heÂ’s completely dead. IÂ’ve tried via USB and via Ad hoc, but I canÂ’t connect.
All the blue ledÂ’s light up, and the led power indicator doesnÂ’t blink, just stays fix in red. Although I can access to the disk, it ask me if I want to format.
I donÂ’t know what else can I do to access to it. Can somebody please help me?
Joao

milw
milw's picture

Try downloading the Firmware Update program from this link: http://www.robocommunity.com/download/16248/Rovio-Firmware-Updater-v.2.1/
It should be able to reload the firmware to your Rovio, just follow the on-screen instructions when you run it.

Logan487
Logan487's picture

Anyone else have trouble after installing the software that when you plug in the USB to Rovio then your computer that your computer has a 'failure to connect' to find the rovio? After the light goes green on it too, is there some step im missing?

If it helps I run windows vista 64bit.

jpapavas
jpapavas's picture

Please try to change the USB cable with one other short in length than that, maybe it is cable failure.

Logan487
Logan487's picture

Alright, though Ive gotten a messege on it saying 'Please disconnect Rovio from your computer' aswell though I forget what for, would it still be the USB cable?

Sovd
Sovd's picture

Rovios usb vil not work on 64bits systems(as far as i know).
Using vist64 myself, but had to set up rovio on an XP32 laptop.

Logan487
Logan487's picture

Damn. Well that explains it lol. Ill have to look at getting a 32 bit, unless anyone knows if Windows 7 will fix this problem?

JimG
JimG's picture

Lost ability to communicate via USB after initial firmware update.

JimG
JimG's picture

When the USB communication stopped working I tried connecting via wireless adhoc connection from a Vista laptop. The connection status stayed in "waiting for user to connect" status. I didn't see any option for making a connection.

polis
polis's picture

Hi friends
My english is not good sorry, I got rovio and have problems with true track beaconn I need Know the posicion exactly through the northStar system. someone has information about it. Please help me
Regards

Jackey IP
Jackey IP's picture

I have never ever able to set ports for Rovio when my ISP is PCCW in Hong Kong. Wish to seek help from anybody ?

lance.plater1
lance.plater1's picture

Heres a problem:
I haven't even been able to connect at all.
I updated the firmware and the setup assigned rovio a IP but I keep getting the message: server not responding
If anyone could help me with this I would be very happy to finally try something new

Kevin R
Kevin R's picture

Hi there i bought a rovio and i want to set it up on a acer 5551 windows 7 64bit labtop anmd have failed everytime ... does it have to have 32bit xp or something i dont have a clue :( please write back fast

cowboyctx
cowboyctx's picture

32bit windows of any flavor or ADHOC

Pages