ROVIO PROBLEMS.Please list all your problems.

67 posts / 0 new
Last post
my_ROVIO
my_ROVIO's picture
ROVIO PROBLEMS.Please list all your problems.

I want to make a list of problems with rovio and list them here.Since wowee did NOT beta test NOR test rovio much.(I believe.)Maybe we can do it for them.

PROBLEM                                                                                                 SOLUTION

#1.    Camera is useless in low lighting.                                 Change the camera to one that will switch to black/white in low lighting.

#.2   Rovio leaves dock for no reason.                              Magnatize the contacts.

#.3    Not enuff lighting.                        Build light kits and sell as assory.Money making

idea.Not sure why wowee didn't build there self a way to profit from selling add ons.

#.4     Rovio wifi signal is not steady.And moves with hickups.     Software update.

#.5        6 volt batteries.?                                                         Add more power.

#.6  rovio mobile software does not work.just F,L,R,B   commands.nothing else.  Software update.

#.7    Following the set path.NOT working.                             Software update.

#.8   Only the Internet explorer browser has IN/OUT sound. Need firefox fix.

PLEASE ADD MORE PROBLEMS IF YOU HAVE THEM.

In the end i feel the software is in need of alot of work and wish wowee had sent more time working on software and hardware.The hardware issuses could be fixed with recall and DOING IT RIGHT......I will work on design and beta testing for FREE>>>>.

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

Let's get some chairs we might be here a while :-))

milw
milw's picture

Maybe there's money to be made in engineering a swappable camera that uses the same command set?

RobosapienPet
RobosapienPet's picture

You are mixing up a few things.
There are problems experienced by Rovio users. There are plenty of those. Some are rare, others are commonplace. There are many other threads on this topic.
Also, you are confusing these problems with *one* possible solution.
----
For example "Only the Internet explorer browser has IN/OUT sound."
That's well advertised. It is a current limitation in many people's eyes - but the Rovio is doing exactly what it is supposed to.

The problem would be better stated as "FireFox Windows users have reduced functionality".
Any proposed fix should be qualified, for example:
WowWee should provide a FireFox Windows plugin to provide two-way audio.
WowWee should provide a FireFox MacOSX plugin to provide two-way audio.
WowWee should provide a FireFox Linux plugin to provide two-way audio.

WowWee should provide all these versions, well tested, 2 month ago.
----
Bottom line:
Don't expect WowWee to make these changes.
Given the list of problems, IMHO FireFox incompatibility is very low on the list. Your priorities may vary.
WowWee is a toy company. Cut them some slack.

my_ROVIO
my_ROVIO's picture

I did when i stopped bitching about then doing a release then fix program like mircosoft does.

I did when i over looked there claim it is NOT A TOY.
I did when i over looked there mobile software for pocket pc released didn't work.
I did when i over looked the rovio being released with the poor lighting issuses.
I did when i over looked the wifi connection is intermittion.
I did when i over looked the rovio leaving the dock and dying for no reason.
I did when i call tech support and there is none.
AND i STILL BOUGHT IT ANYWAY. I did my part i bought there product.
Now they should have ask at least one person to do beta testing for 30 min.

So maybe this will help wowee witht he issuses.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Looks more like a group therapy session for the owners, to me.

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

MrScott said:

Let that be known to all Rovio prospects...

BEAM ME UP SCOTTY :-))

roviouser
roviouser's picture

There appears to be a security issue where the video and audio can be accessible by anyone, even if authentication is turned on. This is reproducible using the 4.09beta firmware.

Access the URL, rtsp://rovio.host.name/webcam, with a program like VLC downloadable at http://www.videolan.org.

Only way I know to work around this is to block 554 on the firewall but then using IE won't work.

Rob
Rob's picture

MrScott said:

Wow, you've come up with a lucrative business idea for robo-minded therapists.

roschler
roschler's picture

When Robodance 5 comes out you can try Rovio/Skype support. In this scenario your Rovio stays hidden behind your local network, since you don't need to do port forwarding any more, and is only accessible by a Skype call and only from those Skype user names you add to the access control list. Robodance is free (See my sig below).

-- roschler

Chuck
Chuck's picture

I can not get through the Setup without the lights on Rovio going out
and then I get a

jpapavas
jpapavas's picture

new message bellow

jpapavas
jpapavas's picture

Hi all, my Rovio works fine with no problems.

WowWee product's always do what they have made to do, now if we want more then we have to be sure if we want to buy them.

All these that you say are not problems, problem you can say is the power adapter, because i am from Greece and does not fit our wall suplly.

I bought one adapter for the power supply and the problem ha been fixed.

Now, someone is trying alone to make software for us for free and no one say a BIG THANK YOU to "Robert".

If you all want some more "addons" then all of us we have to try - work to find solutions.

Because my Rovio it's my first WowWee product i will wait for the Robodance 5 release, from my side he will get any help i can provide about bug or anything else. Thats how we can help and they can help us.

About my_ROVIO

A) Tell me please which other company has made something like that
and is "NOT A TOY" at least.
It's A TOY for "BIG" Kids not for 5-10 years old.

I did when i over looked there mobile software for pocket pc released didn't work.
A) Please tell us to know what mobile device you have - Software and what was the problem (message-error).

I did when i over looked the rovio being released with the poor lighting issuses.
A) It has been made for use "inside" with some light so you can see with one way or other too. Not for space or under earth places.

A) If you have laptop with WiFi where you can go if the your range is small? try to fix your range first and then tell us about it again.

A) Please tell me that your Rovio has personality and A.I. ... if he can go to super market allone please tell him to take some batteries for lunch.
There is no way to happend that.

A) Please send us your message that you did send, maybe we will not answer too
if the message was like that i did read here.

A) If you don't like it, sell it.

A) How old are you...

WowWee thank you,
John Papavasileiou
Greece - Athens

jeminiseven
jeminiseven's picture

I got Rovio, it worked for one week, then his power light stayed orange and he became non-responsive. I've contacted Wowwee via phone and emails, but they don't return my calls. Right now, I have a $250 statue! It does nothing and they have the worst technical support department because they don't have one for rovio. I uninstalled rovio software and tried to re-install it after trying the 'reset' function. Nothing is working! My computer doesn't even see rovio when I plug him into the computer via usb. That shows that his software or his hardware is corrupt. When I log on to his address, it responds that it is no longer responding. I have been contacted by several other customers whom have experienced the same thing, we are all looking for a way to rectify this. So far, I have found a better robot called 'Spykee' made by Erector. The camera is better, the response time is better, and the Erector customer service and technical support is better because they actually have technical support. Does anyone know how to fix Rovio?

my_ROVIO
my_ROVIO's picture

jpapavas said:
Hi all, my Rovio works fine with no problems.
WowWee product's always do what they have made to do, now if we want more then we have to be sure if we want to buy them.
All these that you say are not problems, problem you can say is the power adapter, because i am from Greece and does not fit our wall suplly.
I bought one adapter for the power supply and the problem ha been fixed.
Now, someone is trying alone to make software for us for free and no one say a BIG THANK YOU to "Robert".
If you all want some more "addons" then all of us we have to try - work to find solutions.
Because my Rovio it's my first WowWee product i will wait for the Robodance 5 release, from my side he will get any help i can provide about bug or anything else. Thats how we can help and they can help us.
About my_ROVIO
A) Tell me please which other company has made something like that
and is "NOT A TOY" at least.
It's A TOY for "BIG" Kids not for 5-10 years old.
A) Please tell us to know what mobile device you have - Software and what was the problem (message-error).
A) It has been made for use "inside" with some light so you can see with one way or other too. Not for space or under earth places.
A) If you have laptop with WiFi where you can go if the your range is small? try to fix your range first and then tell us about it again.
A) Please tell me that your Rovio has personality and A.I. ... if he can go to super market allone please tell him to take some batteries for lunch.
There is no way to happend that.
A) Please send us your message that you did send, maybe we will not answer too
if the message was like that i did read here.
A) If you don't like it, sell it.
A) How old are you...
WowWee thank you,
John Papavasileiou
Greece - Athens

Let me ask do you work for the company?Just checking on the sucking up to them your doing here.Have you ever tested one?The rovio has problems.Problems that could have been fixed BEFORE release by taking 5 minutes and testing.In fairness companies did that we would have never gotten windows vista.Don't give me your attitude about me complaining about the crappy job the company did before releasing.and my age is 36.And that means what?you asked.I bet a 12 year old could and would complain about the same issuses.So enuff of my time wasted.

my_ROVIO
my_ROVIO's picture

my_ROVIO said:

jpapavas said: Hi all, my Rovio works fine with no problems. WowWee product's always do what they have made to do, now if we want more then we have to be sure if we want to buy them. All these that you say are not problems, problem you can say is the power adapter, because i am from Greece and does not fit our wall suplly. I bought one adapter for the power supply and the problem ha been fixed. Now, someone is trying alone to make software for us for free and no one say a BIG THANK YOU to "Robert". If you all want some more "addons" then all of us we have to try - work to find solutions. Because my Rovio it's my first WowWee product i will wait for the Robodance 5 release, from my side he will get any help i can provide about bug or anything else. Thats how we can help and they can help us. About my_ROVIO I did when i over looked there claim it is NOT A TOY. A) Tell me please which other company has made something like that and is "NOT A TOY" at least. It's A TOY for "BIG" Kids not for 5-10 years old. I did when i over looked there mobile software for pocket pc released didn't work. A) Please tell us to know what mobile device you have - Software and what was the problem (message-error). I did when i over looked the rovio being released with the poor lighting issuses. A) It has been made for use "inside" with some light so you can see with one way or other too. Not for space or under earth places. I did when i over looked the wifi connection is intermittion. A) If you have laptop with WiFi where you can go if the your range is small? try to fix your range first and then tell us about it again. I did when i over looked the rovio leaving the dock and dying for no reason. A) Please tell me that your Rovio has personality and A.I. ... if he can go to super market allone please tell him to take some batteries for lunch. There is no way to happend that. I did when i call tech support and there is none. A) Please send us your message that you did send, maybe we will not answer too if the message was like that i did read here. AND i STILL BOUGHT IT ANYWAY. I did my part i bought there product. A) If you don't like it, sell it. Now they should have ask at least one person to do beta testing for 30 min. A) How old are you... WowWee thank you, John Papavasileiou Greece - Athens

Let me ask do you work for the company?Just checking on the sucking up to them your doing here.Have you ever tested one?The rovio has problems.Problems that could have been fixed BEFORE release by taking 5 minutes and testing.In fairness companies did that we would have never gotten windows vista.Don't give me your attitude about me complaining about the crappy job the company did before releasing.and my age is 36.And that means what?you asked.I bet a 12 year old could and would complain about the same issuses.So enuff of my time wasted.

One more comment.I guess to you and wowee all these people with all these problems on the forum are just cry babies??? We should just shut up and accept the problems? I bet you $100.00 us. That when irobot releases there CONNECTOR it will out seel the rovio and cost $500.00 range.Even if rovio is now $150 at bj"s from $300.00.Some companies/people still take pride in there products and work.Some do not.

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

Don't quote me on this but I think WowWee is about to have some innovative ideas that could help Rovio's case and the support to go with it.

There has been a lot of talented people involved in the making of Rovio and somehow the balance of things should work in our favor in the near future.

In the meantime I'm practicing voodoo on mine to influence the powerful forces that prevent it from being everything it can be.

Cheers

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

Let's return Rovio now!

jeminiseven
jeminiseven's picture

I'm gonna' post a 'Don't purchase any Wowwee products' campaign video on a whole bunch of sites because wowwee won't even respond to me to tell me if I can return Rovio to them, or if they can make it work by some simple instructions over the phone. If we return it, we won't get our money back, so my last resort is to film rovio getting run over by a truck!

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

Ooooh! that would be kind of cool!!!

I can't wait!

Yahooooo!!!

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

Hey Jemi?,

Forget about Rovioli and get together with those you love and have a blast!

Tomorrow is hangover day for all of us and Rovio will be the farthest thing from our minds.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

jeminiseven
jeminiseven's picture

NanoTek said:

Hey Jemi?,

Forget about Rovioli and get together with those you love and have a blast!

Tomorrow is hangover day for all of us and Rovio will be the farthest thing from our minds.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Thank you NanoTek, I'm trying to forget about this Rovio thing, but my kid is driving me up a wall about it. As long as my kid is complaining about it, I can't enjoy myself. It's like giving your kid a dead puppy for Christmas and telling him no big deal, just stare at it! Happy New Year to you too!

MrScott
MrScott's picture

jeminiseven said:
I'm gonna' post a 'Don't purchase any Wowwee products' campaign video on a whole bunch of sites

Do us a favor, and keep the products that are happily working out of your campaign. Some of us are looking forward to new versions of WowWee products that we know and love.

You're going to punish all the siblings just because the new special needs child is having attention deficit disorders.

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

jeminiseven said:

Thank you NanoTek, I'm trying to forget about this Rovio thing, but my kid is driving me up a wall about it. As long as my kid is complaining about it, I can't enjoy myself. It's like giving your kid a dead puppy for Christmas and telling him no big deal, just stare at it! Happy New Year to you too!

Tell the kid that life is hard then you get a Rovio-- hehehehehehehe

By the way, the guy from Greece wasn't all praise for Rovio... I don't mean to tell you none, but your post that refers to nationality might end up being pulled.

Look, we're with you on the Rovio story, but tonight is drinking night and if we don't get happy then we get nasty... So I say, for tonight, let's get happy!

Cheers Brother

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Moderator Mutterings
-----------------------

Jeminiseven, the posting display software is auto-censoring your non-family friendly content. As moderator, I can see it if I bring up the post editor.

It would be better if you would self censor.

The posting guidelines established by our host, Capable Networks, are quite clear about what they'll allow.

http://www.robocommunity.com/help/forum_policy

jeminiseven
jeminiseven's picture

MrScott said:

Moderator Mutterings
-----------------------

Jeminiseven, the posting display software is auto-censoring your non-family friendly content. As moderator, I can see it if I bring up the post editor.

The posting guidelines established by our host, Capable Networks, are quite clear about what they'll allow.

I am deeply sorry, I let my fingers do the talking when I am passionate about how poor customer service is these days. I forget about the national censorship committee sometimes. It won't happen again.

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

jeminiseven said:

MrScott said:
Moderator Mutterings
-----------------------

I am deeply sorry, I let my fingers do the talking when I am passionate about how poor customer service is these days. I forget about the national censorship committee sometimes. It won't happen again.

Hell, let's drink to that
Bartender?
Yes Nano?
One Scotch, one bourbon, one beer!
Hell, let's drink to that
Bartender?
Yes Nano?
One Scotch, one bourbon, one beer!
Edit: No!...Make that One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer

MrScott
MrScott's picture

jeminiseven said:

No direct harm done, thanks to Capable Network's filters, but there's certainly no doubt what you're saying. You've taken it beyond the casual scatalogical reference, and gone straight to vulgar.

How would you feel if somebody was talking to your young son like that? That age group is not our target audience, but we do have some community members who haven't reached their teen years.

Please use the Edit function to tidy the post up, or it will be deleted. The rule of thumb is that Moderators do not change content from other members. It is preferred to have  authors change their own posts whenever possible. That way there's no question that the content under somebody's name is their own.

Chuck
Chuck's picture

I got a Rovio and it refuses to be recoginzed by my computer so I cannot set it up. It is useless.
What is equally as useless is the tech support you get from WoWee...nothing. For an expensive toy like this you would think they would have a phone number for support. No, they don't. Their email support does not reply.
I would say ths is the biggest scam ever in this field and will gladly join a

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

@jeminiseven - 

You reserve every right to voice your opinions here on RoboCommunity, but please do it in an amicable manner.  Even with your profanities filtered out, I feel your post could easily be offensive to many people, and as such it has been deleted. 

Respect, consideration, and fairness go a long way, even when you're upset and have valid complaints.  Rudeness is often a sure-fire way to get ignored, rather than have your problem addressed.

Your feedback is welcomed but please keep it civil and respectful.  Keep on enjoying the site, and good luck getting your issues resolved.

Pete

***EDIT:  After typing this, I saw your formal apology for your post earlier in this thread, and I wanted to thank you for that.  I apologize for missing this the first time around.

sparten
sparten's picture

anyone have a fix for the dead power light and not usb conneciton? all the pc sees is a external hard drive when i plug mine into it.blue lites do come on but nothing else works. can i format the rovio drive and drop the firmware on it? probably not. but any ideas would help i may have to try to mirrio my other rovio and past that into the drive/rovio brain.

thansks

Pages