Squawkers McCaw Parrot

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
GWJax
GWJax's picture
Squawkers McCaw Parrot

I'd like to share with you all the new Parrot I have, it is called the Squawkers McCaw made by Fur Real Friends. This parrot is life size and is a lot of fun to play with as you will see in the video that I will post. Inside of the gallery you'll find the manual and a few pictures of him. He retails for 129.95 US but we had a Toys-R-Us stor closing down in the area and I got him for 27.95 US this ais a deal that I could not pass up and I'm glad I got him. He is for ages 5 to 105 per the manual and comes with a rubber cracker, a remote, a stand, and a of course the Parrot. As you look at the pictures you see the great detail that he has and in the video you'll see the movements and how he works with just your voice. If you love parrots then this is a must for you..

If any one out in the community has one please leave a message or anyone else have a comment leave one too..

Jax

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Sorry about the Gallery but I'm having trouble in uploading the photos being a caused buy a script error on the page. I'll try again another time bt in the mean time enjoy the video:

Jax

Sarita
Sarita's picture

I have been pretty angry this morning because I have a meeting with so called doctor at the hospital and then I noticed this thread and when video started to load I felt better already. Threads here are not just threads, they change people´s minds. So, thanks GWJax for this thread, it made me happy. Usual people and robots are important, not so called doctors.
Ps. What kind of batteries this parrot uses and how long they last?

GWJax
GWJax's picture

I'm glad it made you day, I am always trying to please some one so thank you for that comment. Plus the McCaw uses 4 AA batteries in him and 2 AAA in the remote. As for how long it lasted on the first set of batteries of course telling him Good Night every time I moved close to his sensors in the eyes and also letting him enertain me as I doing work at the computer and work table for about a 1/2 hr a day they lasted about 1 week. When he starts to repeat him self non stop and will not respond to voice commands then the batteries are drained.
Also If he starts up and you do not respond to him or he can not see you he will go to sleep in 10 mins. but he is a load of fun just like a real parrot.

I need to show you all how he dances to music, I think you will get a kick out of it like I do. Maybe this weekend I'll shoot a video of him just dancing to some music like Latin style. I have a friend and Co-Worker that produces CD so I'll add that in the credits of the video.

I'm also still having problems adding to the gallery so I nedd to see if MrScott or Command Pete can help me out on this else I'll post everything on the thread line and trnsfer them to the gallery that way like I did with the first picture.

Jax

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Well BG the robot parrot is not for everyone it most directed to the bird lovers and those that want a parrot and can not afford one or are not able to fully take care of one. It is a marval of robotics invested into him, you just have to search inside. When it comes to intellegence it does very well, the only draw back is that he does not walk which would really make a great mod for him. Will have to see in the future if I do this mod and if I do I will post it here.

Jax

Sarita
Sarita's picture

His head is very realistic but I see him as a robot and I seem to be interested in many kind of robots. I might get Squawkers McCaw some day. I have now two Pleo robots and have to learn about them at first.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Yes the Pleo this is the greatest AI robot "commercial that is" I have seen, One day I will get a Pleo but the cost was too much for me at the time, so I need to wait till I can get a really good deal on it.

I would have to say the head is dead on to the real McCaw but the rest of him is kinda close to looking like feathers but still it looks great.

Jax

Sarita
Sarita's picture

Unluckily here in Finland we can buy robots by month payment (Pleo 35 euros/month) which means that I am suffering here with all my payments :)

smash
smash's picture

GWJax! Hello sir. I recently bought one of these guys at goodwill for $10... sans remote! Is there any way you can record the ir signals (I hope its ir..) and e-mail them to me or post them somewhere accessible? mondo thanks in advance. I want to teach the robot to teach my budgi to speak. mad science ensues. awesome.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

smash said:
GWJax! Hello sir. I recently bought one of these guys at goodwill for $10... sans remote! Is there any way you can record the ir signals (I hope its ir..) and e-mail them to me or post them somewhere accessible? mondo thanks in advance. I want to teach the robot to teach my budgi to speak. mad science ensues. awesome.

Sure, No problem just give me a bit to rip her down and I'll post the IR stream line for each button.

Jax

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture

Oh yeah! I was supposed to ask you about this too. My brother just got one of these from a neighbor, also no remote.

smash
smash's picture

you rock. thanks!

sesteve
sesteve's picture

Rudolph said: Oh yeah! I was supposed to ask you about this too. My brother just got one of these from a neighbor, also no remote.

Could you send the IR streams on Squawkers McCaw to me also?

Thank you,

Steven Skindell

sskindell@openop.com

GWJax
GWJax's picture

For those who have the Squawkers McCaw I have uploaded the manual plus 2 Voice and Talking tricks that were not in the manual. So I hope you enjoy it.

Plus I'm still working on the remote data stream code for you all.

Jax

sesteve
sesteve's picture

GWJax said: For those who have the Squawkers McCaw I have uploaded the manual plus 2 Voice and Talking tricks that were not in the manual. So I hope you enjoy it. Plus I'm still working on the remote data stream code for you all. Jax

Hi Jax,

Where did you upload this to? Thank you,

Steve

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Sorry it's in the photo gallery at the top of the thread. I tend to think that everyone knows about the galleries. If the thread maker wants to share a large number of pictures then they have the option to create a Gallery on their thread they opened up. Only the Thread Creator, Admins, and I think Moderators can edit these galleries, but everyone else can view and right click and save the photos to their computers HD if they want.

Sorry for not telling you where they are.

Jax

sesteve
sesteve's picture
GWJax
GWJax's picture

Ya I have seen those yesterday when browsing YouTube but I did not think to paste the URLs here, so thanks for doing it sesteve.

Jax

GWJax
GWJax's picture

***** Deleted by Jax do to double post *******************

javier
javier's picture

hello..are you planning on hacking it? i just purchased one and saw on youtube on using the VSA software to do it..

javier
javier's picture

hello...is there a device in which we could download this ir codes and to be played at certain times?

javier
javier's picture

im planning on using to entertain kids and want to send automatically different IR codes so that, during a 3 hour time frame, the parrot is moving, whistling, etc...

javier
javier's picture

hmm...wanted to share with you guys something i found...convering IR signals into WAV files and then using a music device to play it (ipod, computer, whatever)..

http://features.engadget.com/2004/07/27/how-to-turn-your-ipod-in-to-a-un...

old, but is worth a try..

Shai Alyt NEMO
Shai Alyt NEMO's picture

javier said: hmm...wanted to share with you guys something i found...convering IR signals into WAV files and then using a music device to play it (ipod, computer, whatever).. http://features.engadget.com/2004/07/27/how-to-turn-your-ipod-in-to-a-univers... old, but is worth a try..

WOW! WOW!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surprised

It looks EXACTLY like a missing part for my project to control a Femisapien via sound card output. 

Big thaks for a link, javier!

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/15302/To-wire-the-wireless-Femisapien-.../

The idea is to send "IR" control codes via, for example, left audio channel while sending actual audio via right. In fact the idea have got a long beard, and was used for example in a golden oldie "Teddy Ruxpin" (he had an audio-cassette player inside, which plays fairy tales on one channel and a commands for Teddy's animatronics on other from a specially recorded cassettes). 

Just can't wait 'till evening to try. 

GeeGee
GeeGee's picture

Hello, We found Squawkers at a Good Will and we love him. I was wondering where I could find a remote control. There was none there. I have been looking for quite a while and can't seem to find one anywhere. Thanks, Gail

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

GeeGee said: I was wondering where I could find a remote control.

What is the maximum amount of money you would want to spend for the remote control?

GWJax
GWJax's picture

LOL, Nano I know where this is going...

One of my to-do list is to reprogram the RoboRemote to act as the remote for this bird but may not be ready for some time..

Jax

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

Squawkers McCaw accessories are currently available on eBay, but the end price may not be what one would like to spend.

Jacqueline
Jacqueline's picture

I walked into my local Goodwill  and walked out with a neat talking Parrot--Squawkers McCaw! 

He's adorable and since I  already am a bird lover- I am already in love.

I didn't know if  he worked at all--but I put batteries in when i got home and he started  dancing andf talking. AWESOME!

I don't have the remote or the stand but I do understand that with a programable remote  he can learn various tricks--and my fiancee is an engineer who said he would like to try it.

Also, Burt asked me to see if anyone has the IR codes for the 10 buttons on the remote--Any suggestions would be appreciated--If anyone knows where I can buy a remote that's great too-

Jackie

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Hey Jackie.. Welcome aboard to RoboCommunity!!!!

I was going to get the IR codes from the remote but have not done this yet.. I have not seen anywhere on the web that has them or at least posted them. I'll try to get some for you so Burt can try them out.

Jax

Jacqueline
Jacqueline's picture

Jax--thank you so very, very much!

Burt  asked if  you know of a brand of programmable remote we might purchase.

Thank you!!!

Jackie, Burt and Squawkers

PS I was able to find the manual and print it out--so we're getting there.

Pages