Rovio battery

318 posts / 0 new
Last post
chris75
chris75's picture

The charger module is flawed, it is not really able to detect charge level, especially when not starting from discharged battery.
You can try to discharge battery completely and do a full charge. It may improve things.
Anyway the Rovio battery is very low quality and will die quickly, i replaced mine by a 5x4600mAh used for RC models (look at Rovio Change Battery pack... thread).
Last I replaced the power supply by a 9V / 3A, the default one is too weak, this may not be needed if you are lucky enough to have recent AC Adapter.
Apparently Wowee has shipped crappy adapters initially and switched to better ones at some point. If your adapter whistles at high pitch and is warm/hot, it's a crappy one.

Hope this helps.

Nextonex
Nextonex's picture

I purchased this battery pack, waiting for it to arrive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EDGCEA/ref=oss_product

I also think there is something up with the dock, Thanks for the advice on the AC adapter, I'll check it out and see if I can't replace it with a 9v one.

My question is even if it can't detect the charging level, why would it change to roaming? It doesn't actually move in the dock, it just says it's roaming and stops charging. Eventually the battery will get low and it will try to redock and the cycle starts over again.

Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know if it helps.

chris75
chris75's picture

When it's docked and switches to roaming, try to press softly the rovio back to increase pressure on contacts. If it goes back to charging mode you probably have contact issues.
If it daes nothing it means contacts are ok but something is wrong with charge module.
On mine contacts were not that good and the voltage loss between supply and contact tips was high, though it is all wires and metal contacts (i replaced wires/soldered but it's a last resort probably).
Try to clean/scratch the contacts (docks / rovio), i found some greasy stuff on mine.
Last, if your power supply is weak to the point dock voltage is at the limit of the acceptable for the Rovio, it may be solved by a 9V adapter.
The Laser/Dock take lots of power.

Hope this helps.

Waynosan
Waynosan's picture

I'm not sure if it was already mentioned in the this thread but some people are adding magnets to the inside of Rovio so a better contact is made when he docks. I haven't tried this mod yet but I will soon.

gfdjdgf
gfdjdgf's picture

Try tuning down the quality of the video to medium or low. If that dosen't work turn of IR radar. to reply email me at this adress leopoldmarx@gmail.com

CRM
CRM's picture

CRM said: If I had it to do over...I would have sent mine back IMMEDIATELTY for a refund. I have been waiting for two months for a resolve from WooWee only to have several emails to show for it. (see my earlier post) I have read elsewhere that a few have gotten replacement chargers and batteries, but didn't really fix anything.

After about NINE MONTHS and a lot of BS from WowWee, I finally got a replacement Rovio....This one worse that the other. When it docks. it charges for about three minutes and then it turns itself completely off. Even with a new (4500ah) fully charged battery and latest firmware. Works fine if I charge the battery independently and do not allow it to dock.

CRM
CRM's picture

Update...
I have found and "corrected" yet another flaw in the Rovio charging/docking problems. I have found and disabled the little disconnect switch in the base that breaks the circuit when Rovio leaves the dock so the the contacts do not remain powered for safety reasons I assume. The contacts fall below the surface, so I don't really see any potential harm in disabling it and allowing the current to travel to the Rovio for proper and consistent charging with out having to got through yet another set of flaky mechanical contacts. I just moved the red positive wire directly to the contact on the base, just like the black negative wire is installed. Does require opening up the charging base and a very small bit of soldering but well worth the time.

HomeTechAssistant
HomeTechAssistant's picture

Okay,
So I just got a Rovio and had the same battery problem others have had. I believe I found a solution to the problem on my own by searching forums like this. I read on a forum post that you can use a R/C car battery charger to bring it to full charge and it should work from there on out. However, here is the response to my customer support ticket....

I sent a support ticket which stated that my Rovio doesn't hold a charge for more than 10 min. This is what they responded...

"You have received an email from WowWee Customer Service
Ticket No. 39113
John Paulson,

Unfortunately, that is normal for the rovio.

Sincerely,
WowWee Customer Service"

So basically they sell a product that doesn't work as advertised. If each of us write to our State Attorney General's office they might make good on their warranty. I'm willing to setup a website to do this if anyone is willing to help out. I'm a web developer and can have something like this up and running in no time. Anyone game on taking on a big corporation.

BTW, normally I buy things and don't care about a glitch or two as I am a tech head and like a challenge. But after forking out $200 for a birthday present to myself that doesn't work I kind of get annoyed.

CRM
CRM's picture

 

HomeTechAssistant said: Okay, So I just got a Rovio and had the same battery problem others have had. I believe I found a solution to the problem on my own by searching forums like this. I read on a forum post that you can use a R/C car battery charger to bring it to full charge and it should work from there on out. However, here is the response to my customer support ticket.... I sent a support ticket which stated that my Rovio doesn't hold a charge for more than 10 min. This is what they responded... "You have received an email from WowWee Customer Service Ticket No. 39113 John Paulson, Unfortunately, that is normal for the rovio. Sincerely, WowWee Customer Service" So basically they sell a product that doesn't work as advertised. If each of us write to our State Attorney General's office they might make good on their warranty. I'm willing to setup a website to do this if anyone is willing to help out. I'm a web developer and can have something like this up and running in no time. Anyone game on taking on a big corporation. BTW, normally I buy things and don't care about a glitch or two as I am a tech head and like a challenge. But after forking out $200 for a birthday present to myself that doesn't work I kind of get annoyed.

Best thing to do is send it back for a full refund ASAP. Do not count on WowWee for any support. They produced an inferior product riddled with problems, poor designs and poor quality and now do not want to be bothered with complaints. They have basically cut bait and ran.

 

cowboyctx
cowboyctx's picture

I'm not sure if Wowwee cares.

drivebynerf
drivebynerf's picture

they dont care, at all. no help from them for anything i asked. i got rid of mine and got money back finally

i spent last year telling anyone who asked never to buy one or anything from wowee. i have two tot kids id be buying stuff for them from places like wowee...nope. same as my laptop..bad service cost them dozens of sales

Rob
Rob's picture

As an early Rovio purchaser, I was very active on these forums for months after Rovio came out, but I haven't been back here for awhile. It's a little amusing to read all the strife that Rovio & WowWee continue to cause (there was also plenty of anger in the early days of Rovio, but also hope that updates would fix some of the problems).

I do think it's interesting that no other similar products have come out since Rovio (and Spykee).

drivebynerf
drivebynerf's picture

agreed, i did the same but its like they waited for die hard users to die off..sad really, id have paid thrice value for working, same as most fans

drivebynerf
drivebynerf's picture

also im trying to upsell my company on telepresence..and automation..this was a baseline..go figure lol

Waynosan
Waynosan's picture

It's a shame that no one has come out with an updated version... the majority of the work was done. When it works the technology is great. I was lucky to purchase a used one which no doubt has its share of issues... but is great fun to play and tinker with.

I'm hoping that a more responsive company will pick up where Wowwee left off; maybe not market it as a ubiquitous "toy", but more of a hobbyist platform that's more open to development.

Don777
Don777's picture

I have also had battery problems since receiving this as Christmas gift 2010. I purchased through Ebay, with no substantial assistance from vendor except for, "I have located a replacement battery distributor, but they are out of stock with no ETA on availability of new batteries. I asked him to contact Batteries plus, which obviously did not happen. I finally grew impatient after waiting 3 months and contacted my local Batteries plus location who was familiar with the issue and stated they can build a new battery pack with a 6 month warranty in 2 days for approximately $32.00. I know the battery pack is bad because I tested the individual C batteries in the pack and they all tested good except one, which was causing they short life of the battery pack(10-15 minutes max).
To all having the short battery life, I recommend contacting batteries plus, and you will have a properly functioning Rovio in no time.
Hope this helps many of you. Why Wowwee can not do this is beyond me?

CRM
CRM's picture

Did they build you a set of NmH or Nicads? The store here will not touch NMHs.

cowboyctx
cowboyctx's picture

Here is what you are looking for. Its a BAJA 5 Cell 6Volt battery, all you need is a DEANS connector and know how to solder.

http://www.rcplanet.com/HPI_5_Cell_6V_3000mAh_NiMH_Hump_p/hpi2018.htm

Don777
Don777's picture

My local batteries plus said they would build NMH. I asked twice just to verify and read the numbers off the battery pack to them. They said no problem, 2 days and $32.00. Phone # is 239-278-3388. I am sure you can ship your old pack to them and they can send you back new/rebuilt pack. I am taking mine in this week.

I will do what Cowboy said regarding Dremel packs(I have plenty of AA NmH batteries.

CRM
CRM's picture

I purchased one of these with the correct connector already attached.

http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=10441.7

I did have to remove a couple of layers of the heat shrink to make it fit properly.

Robi
Robi's picture

Hi,

I'm afraid my Rovio's battery is dead. Where can I but a new on in Europe? I was checkin this thread but I cannot find any reference to a shop in Europe.

I'ld like to but a new battery and a new power unit.

Thanks a million.

flowersrj
flowersrj's picture

CRM,

Which connector did you select? Did you receive the battery?

flowersrj

cowboyctx
cowboyctx's picture

You need what is called a "DEANS Connector".

CRM
CRM's picture

This one..
http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=10753.63
You could also reuse the one from your old battery pack.

And yes, received the battery and for the first time in about a year I have a functioning Rovio!

Stoney
Stoney's picture

Nice. I think my rovio battery is starting to dwindle. Seems like an awesome place to get a new one. My battery used to charge all the way up to 133 or so, but now it seems to stay around 127.

Using the rovio backend,
|battery=127|charging=72|head_position=203|ac_freq=2

I'm gonna replace the battery soon tho, I'm only getting about 20-30 mins out of it. It was doing much better so I think a cell has gone dead in the pack.

HomeTechAssistant
HomeTechAssistant's picture

CRM said: I purchased one of these with the correct connector already attached. http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=10441.7 I did have to remove a couple of layers of the heat shrink to make it fit properly.

How many hours did you get out of this new battery? I am thinking of ordering one.

 

Thanks,

 

John

CRM
CRM's picture

HomeTechAssistant said:

CRM said: I purchased one of these with the correct connector already attached. http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=10441.7 I did have to remove a couple of layers of the heat shrink to make it fit properly.

How many hours did you get out of this new battery? I am thinking of ordering one. Thanks, John

Don't really know....never ran it down. I've had it off dock for a couple of hours , but that was with no motion. I have run it around for 30 minutes or so with no battery loss shown in the battery bar.

HomeTechAssistant
HomeTechAssistant's picture

CRM said:

HomeTechAssistant said:

CRM said: I purchased one of these with the correct connector already attached. http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=10441.7 I did have to remove a couple of layers of the heat shrink to make it fit properly.

How many hours did you get out of this new battery? I am thinking of ordering one. Thanks, John

Don't really know....never ran it down. I've had it off dock for a couple of hours , but that was with no motion. I have run it around for 30 minutes or so with no battery loss shown in the battery bar.

Thanks! I am going to order one tonight.

CRM
CRM's picture

Let me know how it works out for ya..

Karsidi
Karsidi's picture

I got a different kind of issue with my blue battery pack - it won't fit! It is slightly too large to fit into the compartment. First the 2 wires sticking out on the side has to be re-routed to allow the battery pack to slide in but then the length of the battery is definitely about 1/8 in too long no matter what I tried it still won't fit.

Does anybody has similar issue? I just wanted to make sure it is not a factory thing...

Pages