OUR NETWORK:TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 1.38746E7
October 22, 2008 12:03 AM

Categories: Rovio

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

ET

I believe something wrong with my rovio.

The battery life is 10-15 minutes maximum even if I leave robot docked overnight. Did somebody have such problems? Or maybe battery needs couple of full charge cycles to reach it's maximum?

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 121-135 of 322 | Latest Comment | « Previous 17 8 9 10 11 1222 Next »

January 2, 2010 7:27 AM

LiPo requires different charge mode than current NiMH and needs to be shut down if voltage drops below some level or there is a risk it would be badly damaged , it could even overheat and burn.
So power/charging board needs to be replaced etc... looks quite difficult and risky to do.

Chris

January 3, 2010 10:44 AM

Just as a follow up, I purchased the above Radio Shack charger. It seemed to extend the Robot's life the first few time I charged it but now I'm back to square one. I just let the robot leave the charger and within 1 minute I was warned that the Rovio was low on battery and would I like to return it to the dock. I said yes but within 10 seconds it died. I'm not sure what else to try.

January 4, 2010 3:41 AM

Rovio internal charging board is too weak and if battery is discharged too much it will not be able to charge it fast enough to avoid automatic shutdown on low batt condition.
Sometimes putting rovio on dock and before it shuts down taking it out and back a few times will help go to a level battery can be charged continuously. This is painfull and daesn't always work.
Last is to use an external charger to charge battery pack and put it back when partially/totally charged.
Then Rovio is up for a few cycles but it may still die on battery level.

January 5, 2010 1:15 PM

Michelle C said: Guys and girls -- please contact our customer service department (www.wowweesupport.com) regarding this battery issue... They'll tell you exactly what do to in your situation. Your feedback is really important to us, as it's the first consumer product for us.
Michelle I've contacted your service department.  They've sent me a new charger and a new battary and I still have the same problem.  Basically I've been dealing with this for 4 months and I still have a defective Rovio.

A. A. roberts

January 5, 2010 2:32 PM

aaroberts said: Michelle I've contacted your service department.  They've sent me a new charger and a new battary and I still have the same problem.  Basically I've been dealing with this for 4 months and I still have a defective Rovio.
aaroborts: When you say charger, do you mean AC power adapter?

Check out my blog: The WowWee Insider.

January 5, 2010 2:40 PM

Michelle C said:
aaroberts said: Michelle I've contacted your service department.  They've sent me a new charger and a new battary and I still have the same problem.  Basically I've been dealing with this for 4 months and I still have a defective Rovio.
aaroborts: When you say charger, do you mean AC power adapter?
Yes that is correct.

A. A. roberts

January 16, 2010 10:54 PM

i have identical rovio battery issue, same exact time for bars and effect etc..id say this isnt a battery but perhaps a firmware/controller/board issue. i did all the normal troubleshooting to no avail. i opened a ticket with wowee and am waiting a response.. this is a pain as ive so little free time (work alot) i had mods etc (and telepresence experiments) i wanted to do but cant with a non working piece of kit. i manage technology support orgs for a fortune 500 company so im curious to see their response/precision in this issue. id expect a 72 hour window, worst case, for intitial contact or resolution: either reair, replace or refund

January 17, 2010 12:04 PM

For most people it's a power brick adaptor issue. I resolved it with replacing the factory adaptor with an after-market 9vDC, 2500 mA one. That's what most people with this problem are doing. The factory adaptors often seem to be defective, and 9vDC seems to work better at charging the batteries than the factory 8vDC one. Worked for me, and many others on this forum.

Good luck with getting a replacement from WowWee. I've been waiting almost 3 months with a still open support ticket. They no longer reply to the ticket, it's ignored. They claim they shipped one, but I have never received it. They refuse to acknowledge the ticket and won't give me a shipping tracking number to follow up on it. If you read threads on this forum, you'll see that WowWee is notorious for extremely poor customer support.

January 17, 2010 12:35 PM

nice feedback, much thanks! if i get stuck ill give the adapter a shot sounds like it might work although im aiming for action on manf part

sorry about ur device that can be REALLY annoying..have you filed a bbb complaint? id keep working it, end of the day its 300 buks thats urs

January 17, 2010 12:48 PM

No, I haven't taken the time to file a BBB complaint yet. Let us know how you fair with their customer/tech support. I'm curious what luck you will have. I hope it's better than most users have had on this forum. But it's pretty obvious that no WowWee employees read this forum.

January 17, 2010 6:11 PM

Is a 9vDC, 2500 mA power brick adaptor the power supply?
Can you post instruction on how to install it and where it can be purchased.
thank you

January 17, 2010 6:44 PM

maybe try replacing the battery that takes in the electric current from the charger/dock?

January 18, 2010 9:01 AM

professorpg said: Is a 9vDC, 2500 mA power brick adaptor the power supply? Can you post instruction on how to install it and where it can be purchased. thank you

Yes, the part I'm talking about is the block that plugs directly into the wall.  This seems to be generally the defective part in this situation.  Replacing it worked for me and numerous others on this forum.

I'm in Canada, so I purchased mine from a store called The Source (used to be the Radio Shacks.)  The link is here:

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online...

If you search around in the threads on this forum, you will find links to US power supplies.  I don't have the links handy, or I'd post them for you, but I have read them in my searches on here.

In my case,  the power brick I bought did not have the correct plug that is being used on the charging dock.  It seems to be a very large un-common size.  I've also seen links in the threads here for where users have purchased that plug end in the US.  So instead of sourcing one out myself, I cut the wire on the original power supply, and soldered a more common female plug end to the wire.  One that matched up to one of the supplied ones with the power adaptor I purchased.  You just have to be very careful that you have the polarity correct.  Typically the wire in the pair with the white line on it is the positive voltage.  But I always check with a volt meter to make sure, as accidents could happen in manufacturing.  On my unit positive voltage is the center conductor on the plug on the dock.  But it should say on the bottom of the dock and/or on the original power adaptor.  Make sure, as reversing the polarity could damage the dock and Rovio.  If you purchase a multi-voltage adaptor, make sure it is set to 9V, as a higher voltage could also damage the devices.

The  original power adaptor is stamped as 2600mA, the one I am using is 2500mA and seems to work fine.

I hope this helps.  Of course needless to say, make these alterations at your own risk, as it could void your warranty, and if you do this wrong, you could damage your dock and/or Rovio.

Good luck.

January 18, 2010 6:23 PM

@ carey, wowee responded monday with the below, it does fall within their warranty policy however it is annoying. now i have to box it up and send back to think geek (already done). on the upside think geek responded to the rma request within minutes and will replace new..they have good sales etc same as vuzix i dealth with last week for vr gear. only question i have is whats the failure rate, if the second is bad ill replace with more expensive gear (this was for beinning to look at telepresence for a proposal to my company as well as since i travel alot to see my twin girls). personally id have preferred they send me the fix and save the pain..i have an ipod touch apple had new back to me within 48 hours so idnot have to mess about

"What I recommend you do is to contact Think Geek to arrange for an exchange.

Sincerely,
WowWee Customer Service"

January 19, 2010 9:15 AM

Well that's good drivebynerf, I guess. At least Think Geek is looking after you. I purchased mine direct from the WowWee online store. I've had several people on this forum see my posts and msg me, asking if they should buy one after reading all the bad reviews on this forum for the Rovio. I suggested they not buy one, but if they do, purchase from a large box store that has a no questions asked return policy. At least then the solution to a defective unit is quick and easy.

There was one user on here that pointed out that we are buying a toy from a toy company, and what toy company do you know supplies a good warranty or customer service. He's obviously suggesting we aren't buying quality adult electronics. lol. He obviously has a good point. I also purchased it as a telepresense experiment, as I was going away on a long trip and wanted to see if I could use it to keep a better eye on the house while I was away.

As far as failure rate goes, based on what I read on this forum, it's quite high. One reader posted he was told it was some double digit percent return rate at one store. I can't remember the exact number. I've read another thread on here that claimed they exchanged several.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 121-135 of 322 | Latest Comment | « Previous 17 8 9 10 11 1222 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window