OUR NETWORK: TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 1.42949E7
October 22, 2008 12:03 AM

Categories: Rovio

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

ET

I believe something wrong with my rovio.

The battery life is 10-15 minutes maximum even if I leave robot docked overnight. Did somebody have such problems? Or maybe battery needs couple of full charge cycles to reach it's maximum?

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 31-45 of 330 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 622 Next »

November 25, 2008 5:59 PM

Aeroworks said: I have been using my Rovio for a few days now and the battery issue is driving me crazy. Ill dock it and it will charge for a little while, then it will go to roaming and kill itself. I have sat a heavy object ontop of rovio while charging to ensure the contacts are touching and i get the same result! what is the deal with this thing? I am contacting support about this today.
Please do call WowWee and tell us how that goes. I'm still waiting for someone to tell us the new fix progress that WowWee apparently found for this problem on 11/20 (based on feedback earlier in the thread).

November 25, 2008 6:05 PM

Well, i doubt it will be anytime soon. I submitted a ticket on day 1 of owning the rovio when the install software could not communicate with the rovio via usb. I have still yet to hear a response back to that question,which was Friday. I fixed the problem myself(or least got it to work somehow) by plugging and unplugging the usb cable a few times and cycling power to rovio.

November 25, 2008 8:22 PM

I ordered my rovio from sears - it too has a blue battery and will only charge to 3 bars. i only get a couple of minutes out of it! I can't seem to even learn to use it! I'm definitely emailing support on this. If anyone finds a solution, i can't wait to hear it!

- very disappointed.. :(

November 25, 2008 8:34 PM

Today my rovio stopped docking itself. It will not learn new home locations at all. Just drives off the charger and rotates then roams around aimlessly. I re flashed it and reset it. nothing is fixing it. I sent another ticket in but this time for the docking issue. I better get an rma for it. rovio docked flawlessly before today. I was amazed at how well it worked.

November 25, 2008 10:14 PM updated: November 25, 2008 10:19 PM

Aeroworks said: **Update** I Did some testing and it seems it will only charge for 14 minutes before going to roaming mode. I would loginto rovio and press the back button to get it to charge. Then start the timer. 14 minutes later it will go back to roaming mode. I did this 4 times and each time about 14 minutes before it stopped charging. First glance you may think the battery is fully charged and it stoped because of this.. but i started on a completely dead battery (rovio shut itself down due to low battery). I wonder if this is a software problem.. seems like the battery is giving off false voltages and the rovio thinks its fully charged and disconnects. I wish they would release some kind of statement about it, as it is not even close to being an isolated problem.
Based on earlier discussions (probably a few weeks ago, or more) and current discussions, I have the following thoughts. It seems that most or all Rovios will go from "Docked" to "Roaming" (according to the feedback in the web browser) after a period of time, even though Rovio has not physically moved from the dock. My opinion is that, some Rovios either (a) continue to charge, even though it says Rovio is roaming, or (b) Rovio goes into roaming mode only when the battery is fully charged. This is how my Rovio seems to work, and it works fine for 1hr+. On the other hand, some Rovios (c) stop charging when they switch to roaming, or perhaps they (d) switch to roaming too soon (before it is fully charged). So the a/b situation results in a happy Rovio owner, and the c/d situation results in a Rovio that only goes for a short time before running out of juice.

Anyone want to weigh in?

November 25, 2008 10:54 PM

Based on earlier discussions (probably a few weeks ago, or more) and current discussions, I have the following thoughts. It seems that most or all Rovios will go from "Docked" to "Roaming" (according to the feedback in the web browser) after a period of time, even though Rovio has not physically moved from the dock. My opinion is that, some Rovios either (a) continue to charge, even though it says Rovio is roaming, or (b) Rovio goes into roaming mode only when the battery is fully charged. This is how my Rovio seems to work, and it works fine for 1hr+. On the other hand, some Rovios (c) stop charging when they switch to roaming, or perhaps they (d) switch to roaming too soon (before it is fully charged). So the a/b situation results in a happy Rovio owner, and the c/d situation results in a Rovio that only goes for a short time before running out of juice. Anyone want to weigh in?

What you are saying makes sense.  I sincerily hope for all our sake that something is done about it.  Once they iron out the first production bugs rovio should be a solid performer.  On a side not,  does your rovios motor seem like it's on the verge of dieing?  I used to build and run RC cars with electric motors and i can tell you.. whatever motor they are using is complete crap.  Has somone made scematics for rovio?  I would love to try and replace the motor with something better and quieter.

November 26, 2008 8:56 AM updated: November 27, 2008 10:08 AM

Regarding my previous post: (a) definitely describes how my Rovio works. This morning I find the browser interface says my Rovio is "roaming", even though he has not moved from the base. It also says Rovio has 3 bars of charge before I move him. But when I move Rovio forward (out of the base), the charge indicator creeps up to 5 bars (fully charged) after about 25 seconds. This refreshes my memory that this is indeed "normal" behavior for my Rovio (and many others have reported their Rovios work this way -- saying "roaming" even though they are docked and fully charged). So my strong suspicion is, if your Rovio has the battery/charge issue, that your Rovio switches to "roaming" mode before he is fully charged, and/or he stops being charged once in "roaming" mode.

Many in the past felt their battery/charge issues were due to Rovio not staying physically connected to the dock. The evidence that supported this claims was (1) Rovio switched to "roaming" and (2) Rovio didn't have a decent charge. I suppose a bad physical connection could be the problem in some cases, but the fact that many "proprerly" functioning Rovios switch to "roaming" after some point makes this battery/charge problem really difficult to diagnose, and likely something other than a problem with the physical connection.

Keep in mind, I have no special battery or robotics knowledge (unlike many on this board), everything I'm saying is based on reading a ton of posts here over the past 7 weeks, and playing with my own Rovio for about 5 weeks.

And so I ask again, has anyone received any substantive feedback from WowWee on this issue? A fix, an offer to replace your Rovio, some interesting information regarding the problem, anything?

(Note that the Thanksgiving holiday is only in the U.S., so WowWee should be available to help you through the holiday if your Rovio isn't working as it is supposed to).

November 27, 2008 8:13 PM

Hi all. I'm away from home and bored so I thought I'd kill some time sharing my experience with my new Rovio. I have had a more severe version of the batt/charger problem and managed to make things slightly better.

Got my Rovio last night. As soon as I put it on the charging station, it would pulse about 5 times, then lights-out. I tried reseating it, let it pulse and repeating when the lights went out. This didn't seems to help much. My multimeter read about 7VDC from the charging station and about 6.1VDC from the battery. I have no idea if that is normal.

If the Rovio was not near its charger when I turned it on, it would try to wonder around the room in pursuit of its charging station even thought I had yet to set the home location. I noticed that no matter where I put it, it would go to the same spot in my living room. I would have assumed that a home docking position was set at the factory during testing if it wasn't for the fact that this thing obviously was not tested since it DOESN'T WORK! These tests were short lived as I only got a few seconds out of each run. It's worth noting that the blue LEDs would dim as the motors were utilized indicating a very weak battery.

Now, take the following with a grain of salt because a lot of this could be coincidence: I hooked up the USB cable and had issues getting the driver to load (I'll just blame my laptop for this), but oddly enough, with the usb plugged in, it would not shut itself off (lights-out). So, I let the Rovio chill on the charger for awhile. Then the LEDs cam on solid, as if it was fully charged and ready to rock. Unfortunately, when I took the Rovio out for a spin via the web interface, the battery immediately showed one bar and the Rovio shut down. So, it put it back on the charger and for a few hours I kept an eye on it, reseating at every time the LEDs came on solid to restart the charging process. Then I took it out for a spin. That run lasted nearly 2 minutes as I recall (a record thus far). And, the blue LEDs did not dim as the motors worked the wheels. Sweet, I'm making progress! I also noticed that the Rovio would sometimes shut down just as I disconnected as if to say "Oh, nothing wants to communicate with me anymore? Fine, I'm shutting down". Quite possibly coincidence, but it did happen enough times to raise an eyebrow. Makes me wonder if wireless communication kept it from shutting down as USB communication seemed to do.

At this point I configged the networking so that it was on my LAN (I was connecting peer to peer ad-hoc up to this point). I noticed that it rarely shut down while on its base. Could it be the constant connection, or could it be due to the fact that I've had it on the charger so many times that some of the charge is finally starting to stick? I really have no idea, but anything is worth considering at this point.

Then I upgraded the firmware to the latest stable version which resulted in slightly longer run times but still complete crap. Then I decided to throw the latest BETA firmware on there, which I did from work over the internet and I have to admit, that was pretty cool. Well, almost. It reset to its default IP in ad-hoc mode. So, I couldn't tell what happened until I got home. Let this be a warning to you all. Don't upgrade the firmware to beta remotely for you will have to set up the networking again which requires one to be within reasonable proximity to the Rovio (usb cable or ad-hoc).

Anyway, I got home, reseated it and let it "charge" until it told me it was full (solid LEDs). Time to drive it round again. This time, the batt level did not drop to 1 bar. In fact, I had 3! I drove it around for about 5 minutes before it said it was hungry AGAIN. After a few minutes, the Rovio was full again, so I ventured out again. 4 bars! I didn't really notice any difference in the amount of run time, despite the fact that I started with 4 bars this time. On its way back to the station, it suddenly dropped off line and I had to power cycle via the power button. Then the Rovio was able to go home.
Also worth noting, the Rovio is able to navigate back into the charger just fine as long as the window blinds are closed. But, if sun light is hitting that sensor, forget about it. No surprise considering the amount of IR light the sun produces. Obviously, it overpowers Rovios "north star".

Anyway, inspired by Rovio's recent software crash, I send it home and decide to throw the latest STABLE version back on there. This time it did not erase my settings and the Rovio actually came back online. I am accessing it remotely now and the runs remain at about 5 minutes starting with 4 bars and that's where I'm at. I'm very careful to dock it as soon as I see I'm down to 1 bar because there have been times where the Rovio would shut down while trying to dock. So, how much run time are we supposed to be getting out of these Rovios anyway?

I can't really explain what is happening, but I believe my progress is certainly worth noting. Even thought my Rovios performance is still painfully, agonizingly, aggravatingly ATROCIOUS, I have managed to go from runs starting with 1 bar and lasting only a few second to runs that start with 4 bars and last about 5 minutes. If things don't get better, Rovio is going back to the store.

I hope this helps the boys and girls at Wowwee to diagnose and remedy this very serious and disappointing issue.

November 27, 2008 8:21 PM

Alpha, I just sneaking a browse at my computer during thanksgiving dinner. Didn't even read your whole message, but please make sure you charge your Rovio 10-14 hours for the initial charge. If it still doesn't work right, you have "the" problem. But most people on this board feel Rovio needs a very long initial charge.

November 27, 2008 11:39 PM

Hey Rob. Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, this may not be the answer for me. When I put the Rovio on the charger for the first time, it would start the charge cycle, then power down after a few seconds (all lighs on the Rovio turned off). I talked to a guy from Wowwee, and he agrees that this is not normal behavior. So, I really didn't have the opportunity to give my Rovio the initial 10-14 hour charge.

Since I've been away from home, my Rovio has been spending plenty of time sitting on the charger. Hopefully this will help. However, I'm no too optimistic because it thinks that it is done charging after only a few minutes. Then it just sits on the charger for hours and hours while signifying that the battery is full (5 bars and blue LEDs on solid). Then, when the Rovio leaves the charging station, the battery level quickly drops and I am down to 1 bar after only a few minutes.

View unverified member's comment - posted by Louis

View unverified member's comment - posted by Louis

November 28, 2008 2:11 PM

Louis, if you haven't already, I would contact WowWee support. The problem could be the battery, but it could be something else.

November 28, 2008 4:59 PM updated: November 28, 2008 4:59 PM

more great news! so I decided to set up the photo email since I can't really mobilize my rovio due to the charging issues. I entered my settings and as soon as I clicked the photo icon, my rovio drops off line. poof. gone! so, I google around to find that there is ANOTHER common and very serious issue with using the rovio with wrt53g wireless routers, which are very popular routers. apparently, trying to use the photo email feature on the rovio crashes the router, taking your entire home network off line! I am away from home and thanks to the rovio, my entire network, which consists of several servers hosting many services, has been taken off line. dead! thanks wowwee. this is getting RIDICULOUS! my old crappy web cam can handle photo email tasks better than a rovio. and you know what? I DIDN'T PAY $300 FOR MY OLD WEBCAM!
Perhaps wowwee should stick to making "robots" that just burp and fart to make simpletons chuckle.

I have had just about enough if rovio, mark tilden, wowwee and all of their FAIL!!!

November 28, 2008 5:23 PM

I had that issue with my router (wrt54g). A firmware upgrade to the router fixed it. Pretty sure that falls outside of wowwee's court.

Watch out, don't step in the anthropomorphization.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 31-45 of 330 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 622 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window