OUR NETWORK:TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 57356.2
October 2, 2008 03:44 PM

Categories: Rovio

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

crmfghtr

Got my Rovio today yay! Works great easy setup, however I am sorry to say no luck with Samsung Instinct phone, very dissapointed. I am afraid that your choices of using your phone with it are going to be extremely limited,(as I suspected a long time ago and posted) if anyone ever gets a phone working with it, let us know!

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-15 of 29 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

October 2, 2008 3:56 PM

Ok it says has to be safari mobile(Iphone) mobile explorer, or Opera. Just about every other pocket pc phone etc has these, except, the Instinct!

October 2, 2008 4:40 PM

Hmm, I wonder if it will run on the new Google Android phone, the T-Mobile HTC.

Nanabot - And One Robot To Rule Them All The under $100 game playing, conversational robot

October 2, 2008 5:08 PM

It might if its got Opera or windows explorer mobile, Im guessing you can use opera. You could on samsung instinct but theres a bug that wont let you use keyboard on 3rd party software.

October 2, 2008 7:02 PM

Doing some checking on the instinct, there is an outcry that they fix the problem so that you can you run 3rd party software, supposedly they are working on an upgrade,

October 2, 2008 10:42 PM

crmfightr,
can you please share more about your experience with Rovio. i'm thinking about getting one for myself. i'm curious easy is it to control from outside home and robust the software is.
thanks!

October 3, 2008 10:09 AM

Rock on! Got pics?

Watch out, don't step in the anthropomorphization.

October 3, 2008 1:33 PM updated: October 3, 2008 1:33 PM

> no luck with Samsung Instinct phone...
Try opening your webbrowser to "http://{IP_ADDRESS}/mobile/index.htm" instead.

For mobile devices, it automatically redirects to "http://{IP_ADDRESS}/mobile/index.htm"
This is a stripped down version for smaller screens
The mobile device check is hard coded to iPhone iPod and WinCE only

October 3, 2008 5:36 PM

UPDATE: Well first thanks for the tip Robosapien pet, but as it turns out its not my phone! I had a friend try logging in last night and no page showed up! So though the internal network is working just fine, my Frontiernet network modem is not port forwarding the data. I spent all day on the phone with them and Wowwee, no soap, doesn't work. Forwarding ports opened etc, nothing. Its not a problem with the Rovio I think its a problem with my company and port forwarding. As I said the Rovio works fine on the internal network. Wowwee is looking at the problem but since I can only have one provider out here (live in the sticks) it isn't looking good. Might end up having to return it if issue not resolved :(
But there is always Spykee and Skype if this doesn't work out, pity of it is cant use mobile phones for Spyke

October 3, 2008 5:38 PM

FYI if any of you have a gigaset se567 wireless modem router, beware!

October 3, 2008 5:50 PM

Always fun when ISPs block things. Have you tried setting up a different port? Maybe your ISP just blocks port 80 for webservers, and setting it to something else (eg 10000) could circumvent that.

October 3, 2008 6:53 PM

crmfghtr,

I thought some of the mobile phones could run Skype (and I don't mean with a server based intermediary program like Soonr where you don't really have a point to point VOIP link)? Also, I've talked to one of the first Spykee owners and they indicated that Spykee doesn't seem to have any special support for Skype, like they originally touted when the product was announced well over a year ago. Sure you can use it as a VOIP/Webcam device, but to control it, at least from the information I have so far, you have to be running a device that can run their Control Panel software. If you have contrary information, please post a link.

-roschler

Nanabot - And One Robot To Rule Them All The under $100 game playing, conversational robot

October 3, 2008 7:36 PM

Oh well thats interesting, seems the best one for me then is going back to your roboquad hack and lithium batteries! I think the Iphone may run Skype but I am not sure. For Rovio I am thinking about bridging my router to a Linxyss but not sure if that will work, this is extremely frustrating!

October 3, 2008 8:24 PM

Ok so back on phone with internet provider, now they tell me I cant access Rovio from another network via Rovios address, I have to enter the address of my WAN which changes! So I tried that, didn't work, What a joke. Either Im dealing once again with people who have no idea what they are talking about or this is a waste of time. The moments fragance has turned into stress not worth it anymore, back to Wowwee he goes!

October 3, 2008 8:37 PM

crmfghtr,

Did you try one of the Dynamic IP/DNS services? Also E-mail me directly and I'll help you work on this. You have my E-mail.

-roschler.

October 3, 2008 8:37 PM

You should be able to use a free dns provider (like dyndns.org) to map your dynamic WAN IP number to a specific hostname. You can get software for your computer to update it when it changes.

That's also where the port forwarding comes in; have the router redirect all requests to port N to Rovio's internal IP number (and port). If that still fails, you may be able to just set a demilitarized zone with your router (DMZ) aiming towards Rovio's IP number, so _all_ requests to your WAN IP get directed straight to Rovio.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-15 of 29 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window