Rovio arrives

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
crmfghtr
crmfghtr's picture
Rovio arrives

Got my Rovio today yay! Works great easy setup, however I am sorry to say no luck with Samsung Instinct phone, very dissapointed. I am afraid that your choices of using your phone with it are going to be extremely limited,(as I suspected a long time ago and posted) if anyone ever gets a phone working with it, let us know!

crmfghtr
crmfghtr's picture
Ok it says has to be safari

Ok it says has to be safari mobile(Iphone) mobile explorer, or Opera. Just about every other pocket pc phone etc has these, except, the Instinct!

roschler
roschler's picture
Hmm, I wonder if it will run

Hmm, I wonder if it will run on the new Google Android phone, the T-Mobile HTC.

crmfghtr
crmfghtr's picture
It might if its got Opera or

It might if its got Opera or windows explorer mobile, Im guessing you can use opera. You could on samsung instinct but theres a bug that wont let you use keyboard on 3rd party software.

crmfghtr
crmfghtr's picture
Doing some checking on the

Doing some checking on the instinct, there is an outcry that they fix the problem so that you can you run 3rd party software, supposedly they are working on an upgrade,

curious robot
curious robot's picture
crmfightr,

crmfightr,
can you please share more about your experience with Rovio. i'm thinking about getting one for myself. i'm curious easy is it to control from outside home and robust the software is.
thanks!

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture
Rock on! Got pics?

Rock on! Got pics?

RobosapienPet
RobosapienPet's picture
> no luck with Samsung

> no luck with Samsung Instinct phone...
Try opening your webbrowser to "http://{IP_ADDRESS}/mobile/index.htm" instead.

For mobile devices, it automatically redirects to "http://{IP_ADDRESS}/mobile/index.htm"
This is a stripped down version for smaller screens
The mobile device check is hard coded to iPhone iPod and WinCE only

crmfghtr
crmfghtr's picture
UPDATE: Well first thanks

UPDATE: Well first thanks for the tip Robosapien pet, but as it turns out its not my phone! I had a friend try logging in last night and no page showed up! So though the internal network is working just fine, my Frontiernet network modem is not port forwarding the data. I spent all day on the phone with them and Wowwee, no soap, doesn't work. Forwarding ports opened etc, nothing. Its not a problem with the Rovio I think its a problem with my company and port forwarding. As I said the Rovio works fine on the internal network. Wowwee is looking at the problem but since I can only have one provider out here (live in the sticks) it isn't looking good. Might end up having to return it if issue not resolved :(
But there is always Spykee and Skype if this doesn't work out, pity of it is cant use mobile phones for Spyke

crmfghtr
crmfghtr's picture
FYI if any of you have a

FYI if any of you have a gigaset se567 wireless modem router, beware!

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture
Always fun when ISPs block

Always fun when ISPs block things. Have you tried setting up a different port? Maybe your ISP just blocks port 80 for webservers, and setting it to something else (eg 10000) could circumvent that.

roschler
roschler's picture
crmfghtr,

crmfghtr,

I thought some of the mobile phones could run Skype (and I don't mean with a server based intermediary program like Soonr where you don't really have a point to point VOIP link)? Also, I've talked to one of the first Spykee owners and they indicated that Spykee doesn't seem to have any special support for Skype, like they originally touted when the product was announced well over a year ago. Sure you can use it as a VOIP/Webcam device, but to control it, at least from the information I have so far, you have to be running a device that can run their Control Panel software. If you have contrary information, please post a link.

-roschler

crmfghtr
crmfghtr's picture
Oh well thats interesting,

Oh well thats interesting, seems the best one for me then is going back to your roboquad hack and lithium batteries! I think the Iphone may run Skype but I am not sure. For Rovio I am thinking about bridging my router to a Linxyss but not sure if that will work, this is extremely frustrating!

crmfghtr
crmfghtr's picture
Ok so back on phone with

Ok so back on phone with internet provider, now they tell me I cant access Rovio from another network via Rovios address, I have to enter the address of my WAN which changes! So I tried that, didn't work, What a joke. Either Im dealing once again with people who have no idea what they are talking about or this is a waste of time. The moments fragance has turned into stress not worth it anymore, back to Wowwee he goes!

roschler
roschler's picture
crmfghtr,

crmfghtr,

Did you try one of the Dynamic IP/DNS services? Also E-mail me directly and I'll help you work on this. You have my E-mail.

-roschler.

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture
You should be able to use a

You should be able to use a free dns provider (like dyndns.org) to map your dynamic WAN IP number to a specific hostname. You can get software for your computer to update it when it changes.

That's also where the port forwarding comes in; have the router redirect all requests to port N to Rovio's internal IP number (and port). If that still fails, you may be able to just set a demilitarized zone with your router (DMZ) aiming towards Rovio's IP number, so _all_ requests to your WAN IP get directed straight to Rovio.

roschler
roschler's picture
Also, what router do you have

Also, what router do you have, make/model?

crmfghtr
crmfghtr's picture
Thanks guys, I am sorry for

Thanks guys, I am sorry for my juvenille stomping around on here. It is a beautiful robot I have no problems with Rovio only my phone company. I will get back on this right now, I shall not fail till I finally have my dream telepresence robot up!

crmfghtr
crmfghtr's picture
Yes sir, tried a whole bunch,

Yes sir, tried a whole bunch, I posted elsewhere its a junk modem from provider, if you got anything but this modem it should be fine Im the only I know of that has this issue

Rudolph said:

Always fun when ISPs block things. Have you tried setting up a different port? Maybe your ISP just blocks port 80 for webservers, and setting it to something else (eg 10000) could circumvent that.

RobosapienV2-4mem8
RobosapienV2-4mem8's picture
I hope you get it resolved,

I hope you get it resolved, As it is no joke when things don't go as planned.

roschler
roschler's picture
I hope you get it resolved,

I hope you get it resolved, As it is no joke when things don't go as planned.

At least until Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert get a hold of it. :)

crmfghtr
crmfghtr's picture
Rudolph said:

Rudolph said:

Rock on! Got pics?

Here are the pics. The pets have to check out every new robot of course!

Hmmm

New family member

RobosapienV2-4mem8
Nice, very nice crmfghtr.

Nice, very nice crmfghtr.

roschler
roschler's picture
LOL. The last photo where

LOL. The last photo where they have Rovio surrounded looks like:

"Go ahead, move. We dare ya!"

:)

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture
Hehehe. Drive it forward 1/2

Hehehe. Drive it forward 1/2 inch and watch the cats leap vertically :)

RobosapienV2-4mem8
I want to see what happens

I want to see what happens when and if I run it past my two Indian ring neck parrots, Gotta get Rovio first though.

roschler
roschler's picture
The top photo with the cat

The top photo with the cat looking at the camera should have the caption (LOLCat style):

Kan Iz Eatz It? Id Luks Lik Chezbeerger!

crmfghtr
crmfghtr's picture
Haha, well they seem to have

Haha, well they seem to have gotten used to boxes coming with all sorts of robots to chase them around, they seemed to show much more interest in Rovio then Tribot. Perhaps they sensed my excitement and wondered what all the hoopla was about !

crmfghtr
crmfghtr's picture
Oh yes Rovio is a must have

Oh yes Rovio is a must have robot. Your parrots knowing there intelligence however will probably just go *Sigh* "Humans and there toys"

RobosapienV2-4mem8 said:

I want to see what happens when and if I run it past my two Indian ring neck parrots, Gotta get Rovio first though.

RichardR
RichardR's picture
I hear that with the newest

I hear that with the newest update to the Samsung Instinct phone, the browser gets allot better, maybe enough to control Rovio.

I'm just waiting on the Tmobile G1 (HTC Dream) to come to the UK.

(btw. Has anyone tested Rovio in google chrome?)