OUR NETWORK:TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 2627740.0
August 20, 2008 07:56 PM
Rating (2 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

altwolf

So, I love my I-cybies. I have 2 now: 1 blue and 1 gold. Since I got them I have been searching high and low for the expansion cartridge and programmer that came out, but with no luck. It seems to be quite rare.

RetroPlayer's Elvis cartridge hack got me thinking... I wondered if I could somehow make my own expansion cart. I googled around and after many hours discovered a spanish website with lots of interesting info about the cartridge. Unfortunately, the Google translation of the page leaves something to be desired.

You can see it here, if you are curious:  http://www dot 3drogue dot com/translate_c.htm 

(replace the word "dot" with actual ".") last time I posted a link, i got spammed all to hell, so I will try it this way.

Anyway, I-cybie came with a "dummy" cartridge in its expansion slot. I was lead to believe it was of no interest, so i never really looked at it beyond taking it out and putting it back in.

Last night however, I got curious. I took it out of cybie and removed its little screws. Inside I found the actual PCB for the real cart! It looks like it's all set to have it's parts soldered on! Woot! The web page I listed above lists the memory chips used on the cart and says they are cheap.

So, here's my question. I suck at soldering. Even if I was decent, the PCB is tiny. It looks like something a machine would be best at making. So, Where would I look for someone who might be able to solder the components onto the board? Maybe a computer repair place? I have no clue....

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 16-30 of 46 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

View unverified member's comment - posted by Ariane

View unverified member's comment - posted by Ariane

April 7, 2010 9:02 AM updated: April 7, 2010 9:09 AM

Hi, all i-Cybie owners!

Now I'm joined your ranks too. I've recently got an i-Cybie ("old" '2001 Silverlit-Tiger version).

The mechanics of i-Cybie looks impressive even for now. And that quite agile doggy is just crying for customizing his personality (default personality indeed is too straight-forward and boring).

But it seems impossible to find the original "Silverlit Downloader" now, even on eBay.

The famous "Super i-Cybie" hack from ( http://www.aibopet.com ) also is not an option for me as the author's proposal to "borrow" that mysterious CROMINST cartridge "from a friend" can only cause me a nervous laugh... Borrow, **** it!.. I doubt, that at the present time there is anyone else user of i-Cybie in Kiev besides me at all...

Given that, I'm seriously planning to make myself that DIY "Brazilian" programmer by Luiz Cressoni Filho ( http://www.robotic-lab.com/blog/tutoriales/como-hacer-un-programador-para-i-c... ). I'm already gathered almost all the componens for it, including PIC (and have it already programmed with "uploader.HEX" - "firmware" for the programmer). So, to make it is just a matter of time (hope, there is no critical mistakes in schematic).

But I don't have a functional cartridge also. Only a "dummy" with an empty PCB (like shown by Altwolf). And I'm still unable to find needed flash chips here in Kiev, Ukraine. So, maybe someone of more lucky American fellows from this community can buy some of that chips locally and send them to me? Then I will refund needed amount of money for chips and their shipping via, say, PayPal.

It will be an invaluable help for me!

Let's join our efforts and try to give our 'Cybies a new, better life! 

P.S.

To Altwolf: You wrote, you've gathered almost all possible info and files, related to i-Cybie? I'm particularly interested in alternative personalities and "sound themes" for Cybie. And maybe you were lucky to download the actual "crominst" file from  http://66.70.136.74/icybie/crominst11.zip before it was replaced by the message "CROMINST temporarily removed.
Will update with an Outrageous compatible version later."? If you've got it then (given a working cartridge programmer) it opens a possibility to finally perform a Super i-Cybie hack!

April 7, 2010 12:13 PM

I saved that page (translated, of course) a long time ago, but I never did get around to building it. You'll have to let us know how it turns out!

I did some quick searching this morning for you and found this:
http://www.sst.com/products/sample_request.dot
It's the 'sample request form' for SST, the company that makes that chip. They didn't have the SST39VF010-70-4C-WH, but they did list SST39VF010-70-4C-WHE. I went ahead and sent a request for 5 chips. Maybe as an actual service shop, I can swing getting my hands on some. If I do, and you haven't already ordered samples of your own, I'll be happy to send you one. I love 'sample request forms'!

Derek Tombrello
www.RobotsAndComputers.com

April 7, 2010 1:25 PM

Thank you, RebelTaz! You are bringing me hope!

But for a cartridge at least two chips are needed. And given a manual soldering difficulty for such a small pins, I think, it would be wise to have at least four.

If you can BUY them for me (not just obtain as free samples), I'd be glad to have as much as ten (5 pairs) - just for reserve and for possible future attempts to make a totally self-made cartridge (using the part of PCI card edge connector)!

April 7, 2010 5:51 PM

I'll let you know as soon as they get back with me...

Derek Tombrello
www.RobotsAndComputers.com

September 19, 2010 4:39 PM

Hello!
I know this is an old post, but if I can help, here I am.
I'm Luiz Cressoni Filho, the brazilian guy that developed the Cybie programmer. I was surfing around and just found this forum.

November 8, 2010 12:31 PM

Lutcho said: Hello! I know this is an old post, but if I can help, here I am. I'm Luiz Cressoni Filho, the brazilian guy that developed the Cybie programmer. I was surfing around and just found this forum.

Hey! Nice to hear from you! I have been away from the forums for a long time, so just saw your post today!

I actually DO wonder if you could do something. It is kind of a big favour though...

Judging from your post, you speak English/write English fairly well?

Would it be possible to translate your spanish web page with the instructions for the programmer into English? Translating that page using Google, etc. leaves it a little confusing sometimes.

If you don't have time, that is ok too. It would just be nice to have an actual translation from the guy who who actually wrote the page in the first place.

November 8, 2010 12:58 PM

Hi!
The project was originally in English (with my Brazilian-Portuguese accent, I'm afraid). That Spanish guy translated it and after that my site got offline.
So, I found the backup and uploaded the original files (in English) at
http://rapidshare.com/files/429646478/cybie_uploader_full.zip

Hope it can help. Building the programmer is quite easy if you know how to use the right tools: A PIC programmer (there are lots of free projects on the net - JDM is quite simple and works fine) and soldering skills are enough.

Just call me back if you need help.

Regards,
Luiz

November 8, 2010 1:37 PM

You are AWESOME! Thanks for posting that so quickly!

I have been wondering lately if it would be easier to just gut poor I-cybie and put my own Microcontroller inside to run everything...

I have a bunch of micros - Propeller, Arduino, BS2, etc. The hard part would be to get the original Cybie hardware (motors and sensors) to play well with a new controller.

November 8, 2010 3:39 PM

Well, first of all, I?ll be happy if the project is found to be useful.

About the programming part, I don?t know... I tried to write some code for the Cybie, but its lack of information made me feel like an Indiana Jones. The only thing that is a bit easy if to "tweak" the personalities. I may have a CD with all the stuffs I found on the net about the Cybie. If I find it (give me a week or so...) I?ll post here.
Maybe if you could use your own hardware and some sort of hi-level programming environment you end up with something that can be easily programmed.

November 9, 2010 3:48 AM updated: November 9, 2010 3:50 AM

Hello, Lutcho!

Greetings to you as a bringer of hope to all iCybie enthusiasts remained! 

It's incredible to have you joined our Community! The world is really narrow!

Now I have all the components (thanks to RebelTaz) to attemt making my own working cartridge and my own copy of your Cybie programmer. It would be nice to read your original english article and have an ability to ask the author himself in case something will go wrong.

And also your collection of all iCybie-related stuff will be interesting if you could manage to find it and to publish on repidshare.

Anyway, it seems, your arrival kindled a new spark of the enthusiasm in me!

Stay tuned.

November 9, 2010 9:09 AM

This is a very old thread, but the problems and solutions haven't changed much in years.

Some comments:
See my earlier comments on this thread (I am repeating some of them here)

A prebuilt *working* cartridge along with the programmer is still available from Silverlit (http://www.3deshop.com/ - $95 plus world-wide shipping, PARALLEL port on Windows computer required)
This cartridge can be used with a Super i-Cybie.

If you have an older iCybie, turning it into a Super i-Cybie makes it both a cartridge programmer, and a development system for writing lower level programs (ie. it adds a serial port for programming and debugging)

Most of the personality files etc can be found on my website. Hasn't changed in years:
http://www.aibohack.com/icybie/index.html

> I have been wondering lately if it would be easier to just gut poor I-cybie and put my own Microcontroller inside to run everything...
IMHO this is impractical. Most of the iCybie processor's ports are hooked up to hardware (leg 'servos' etc). Rewiring those is a lot of busy work since the existing CPU is programmable.
If you need more brain power, attach a separate processor on top of the i-Cybie and control it with the serial port (ie. let the iCybie processor do the legs and motions).

> Maybe if you could use your own hardware and some sort of hi-level programming environment you end up with something that can be easily programmed.
Check out the IC SDK. It allows for more advanced programming. It comes with a "C" compiler, header files for all the low level functions, and a few (simple) samples. Great for a number of things.
http://www.aibohack.com/icybie/icsdk.htm

For tweeking the basic personality, use YICT.

November 28, 2010 2:51 PM

Hello All,
I just aquiered a I-Cybie for Santa gift, all was OK until I recieved a mail from the seller teeling me that the poor doggy has a bother with the battery. Apparently the battery is full but the doggy think its empty? The owner charged it for 6 hours prior shipping it to me to make sure all was OK. This might have killed the battery tho but the owner said the battery still work fine?
This is all new to me and I should receive it next week.
Any suggestion on what I can do to fix it? Santa cannot bring a broken gift :(
Thank you.
Olivier

November 28, 2010 2:53 PM

Helo All,
I just aquiered a I-Cybie for Santa gift, all was OK until I recieved a mail from the seller teeling me that the poor doggy has a bother with the battery. Apparently the battery is full but the doggy think its empty? The owner charged it for 6 hours prior shipping it to me to make sure all was OK. This might have killed the battery tho but the owner said the battery still work fine?
This is all new to me and I should receive it next week.
Any suggestion on what I can do to fix it? Santa cannot bring a broken gift :(
Thank you.
Olivier

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 16-30 of 46 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window