Adding an Arm to a Rovio

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
MrScott
MrScott's picture
Adding an Arm to a Rovio

This thread was split off the end of the Wall-E thread when 4mem8 pondered what he'd do with a robotic arm he'd won with his Wall-E submission to an online contest.

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/12732/Wall-E-Robot/?page=34#21255

------------------------------------------------------

Mount the arm on a Rovio, assuming of course the little bugger can handle the weight.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

goog idea mrscott and to add to it put the canera close to the arm as well so you really can see what you pick up.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Speaking of Rovio, I don't recall seeing this video before.

The reason I was looking at the videos of Rovio is that there will be an addition problem mounting the arm on top of the Rovio. Watch this video below, and pay attention to Rovio's camera arm when he docks (around 2:12).

See how he pops his camera arm up to lock on to the dock? Anything mounted on top of him would have to allow for that arm movement.

RobosapienV2-4mem8
RobosapienV2-4mem8's picture

This product is so cool that if I don't get one I will go insane, They gotta be here soon I hope. Agreed Nocturnal, You would have to build a type of frame over the camera neck extension and this may make it top heavy, also I do not know about those omini wheels, That back trailing wheel when it is going forward bugs me, also if you add to much weight that drag is going to wear out that back wheel. But that said I like the idea of an arm attached to the rovio. Rovio, Hurry up and get here.

Nice Video Nocturnal, Have not seen those either. 

GWJax
GWJax's picture

ya too much weight will wear out those omni-wheels, just like on the tri-bot the wheels sometimes do not move and you'll hear a squeaking or dragging sound as the roller is being ground down. so you might have to use those parallax motor weel assy you have for this or just make a new light carbon fiber arm and claw for this option. hehe more work for you 4mem8 but at least its fun work right?!!

MrScott
MrScott's picture

I hadn't seen that 1st video before, but the 2nd video was put out about the time they announced the product early this year.

The side-slipping wheel may, or may not, be a concern. It depends upon the quality of the fabrication of the omni-wheels used. It's not dragging, it's moving along on a small roller. If that roller has bearings and and a sufficiently robust axle mount, there shouldn't be a problem with wear any more than the bearings and axles on any wheel. Based on the squeaking I hear in the 2nd video, I'm not convinced the quality of the machining and assembly is all that high.

Regarding any top mounted add-ons, they will definitely have to take into account the current sensor mechanism. That mechanism will either need to be altered to mount above any add-ons, or the add-ons will have to provide a channel that the sensor rises up through.

One possibility is to beef up the sensor actuator itself, and have it provide the first linkage in a jointed arm. As long as the electrical interface and dimensions of the beefed up linkage match those of the original sensor arm, then the factory supplied sensor controls should continue to work.

I can see having the beefed up sensor arm pop up, and have a second linkage of the arm, fold out of that augmented sensor arm. Perhaps two spindly arms could fold out of each side of the augmented sensor boom, and the manipulators for those arms would swing forward to meet in front of the camera's field of view. Picture something like a crab's claws coming out on each side of the sensor boom.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

MrScott if the omni-wheels are the same as the Tri-Bot then the wheels would need to be beefed up as well with bearing like you said. As of the arm unfolding is a great idea, I too can see this work. Matter of fact everything you said I agree with. maybe we should have 4mem8 open up another thread for further ideas on this topic so we can keep this thread as the Wall-E refrence area and keep off topic subjects like this in a new thread.
Jax

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Permission to clip the end of this thread off for a new thread, 4mem8?

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

According to this page, the arem weighs about a kilo.

I'm not sure how well your idea of incorporating the existing arm will actually work out. You'd lose a degree of freedom, since the first joint is "shoulder rotation", and the existing armature does not allow for rotation.

Personally, I'd be more interest if it was possible to mount the sensor onto the arm, and have the arm mimic the motion of the existing arm when needed. I'd also probably look at mounting the camera too the end effector. Of course then you have to deal with the issue of how to fold the arm so you can see when driving.

idrum289
idrum289's picture

I can see that my disease is the same as everyone else'. It's just not as advanced. Oh well, there are worse...

RobosapienV2-4mem8

MrScott: Permission granted to move this topic to another thread. Also Nocturnal I can see for and against for this arm system, I think I will have to wait and see when I get a Rovio and the arm. Keep those thoughts coming though.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

*Laughs* Don't get me wrong, I'm all for adding an arm to Rovio. I just like to try and think ahead, and solve problems before they happen.

RobosapienV2-4mem8

Nocturnal: Agreed, that's the best way to look at it

MrScott
MrScott's picture

The more I think of it, the more I like the concept of patterning an augmented Rovio on Ma Nature's design of a crab.

There'd be two relatively light weight manipulators to either side of the Rovio sensor boom. They would be articulated to come together in front of the Rovio camera's field of view. The more dexterous the better, but even a simple three finger pincer could pick up and carry light objects.

There are times when two arms of lesser articulation can do more than one arm with superior articulation. Consider the problem of carrying an object larger than what can be grasped in one hand. The two arms, working as a pair, form a composite larger pincer. In such cases the hand on the arm doesn't so much carry an item, as they are used to keep the item aligned between the arms that carry the item.

RobosapienV2-4mem8

I would also like to use Lynxmotions SES bracket system for the two arm systems MrScott, I think that would be a better solution.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

For those not in the know, as I wasn't until I went and scouted out the magic decoder ring references, here's what a Lynxmotion SES bracket system is

http://www.lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=108

From what I saw with a very brief review of the site, the SES stands for "Servo Erector Set", and is their modular construction line.

RobosapienV2-4mem8

Sorry MrScott, I should have put a link there, I assumed most people new about Lynxmotions SES sets. But yes you have the right area for their arm, But I would use the bracket sets to make my own like in My J5.
http://www.lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=73