Roboquad problems?

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
roboboa
roboboa's picture
Roboquad problems?

I'm planning on getting my own RQ pretty soon and I would like to know any problems that you roboquad owners have or had with any roboquad you've had.

Currahee
Currahee's picture
well my friends roboquad left

well my friends roboquad left back leg didn't move, so he took it back and got another one and it been working perfect

idrum289
idrum289's picture
I had a dud remote for my

I had a dud remote for my first one, so I took it back. Found another one and it works perfect.

GWJax
GWJax's picture
I have 2 and now problems

I have 2 and now problems found, although I have one apart for testing new mods.
Jax

roboboa
roboboa's picture
GWJax said:

GWJax said:
I have 2 and now problems found, although I have one apart for testing new mods.
Jax

Sweet I hope i get that lucky when i get mine

GWJax
GWJax's picture
I'm sure you will roboboa!

I'm sure you will roboboa! and if not give me a ring and I'll help you out with it.

Jax

"Robo
"Robo's picture
Mine is perfect.

Mine is perfect.

However with age I have found it seems to get a couple glitches. Like every now and then roboquad forgets to get up when he waves and just moves his foot.

But things like this are on every bot.

Wow Wee makes quality products. I'm sure your RQ will be great!

iquad
iquad's picture
GB,you read my mind!my rq

GB,you read my mind!my rq sometimes on high and low batteries.but i hope yo's will be parfect!!!!!

GWJax
GWJax's picture
roboboa said:

roboboa said:

GWJax said: I have 2 and now problems found, although I have one apart for testing new mods. Jax

Sweet I hope i get that lucky when i get mine

Roboboa you can win one from torsons community in a robot building contest. Commander Peter R. Has a thread up for it telling us about it. I'm not sure where it is bt do a search for Contest and youll find it.

iquad
iquad's picture
hmmmmm... rq mine when he

hmmmmm... rq mine when he does rool overs he forgets putting one leg in.

roboboa
roboboa's picture
Just got RQ today for Xmas (=

Just got RQ today for Xmas (= i did every thing i could with him he works perfectly even no fall over bug. he even walks on carpet.

thank you for you help
gwjax i just dont care for raffles i'm not what you would call lucky

TikaC
TikaC's picture
Congrats on the new addition!

Congrats on the new addition! :)

My RQ works great too. Though one time he did fall over when I was trying out the different way he moves with the remote. Landed on his head. LOL! And when in gaurd mode, he keeps flinching over and over again unless he's in low light. Other than that, he works perfectly and is a lot of fun to play around with. :)

roboboa
roboboa's picture
I forgot to mention he's the

I forgot to mention he's the red sharper image roboquad too

"Robo
"Robo's picture
Those are nice. Very SHARP!

Those are nice. Very SHARP! AH HA HA HA PUN! HE'S FROM SHARPER IMAGE AND I SAID HE WAS SHARP! AH HA HA HA....oh.

roboquadkev3
roboquadkev3's picture
i miss mine

i miss mine

GWJax
GWJax's picture
roboboa said:

roboboa said:
I forgot to mention he's the red sharper image roboquad too

Ya I have one as well that I do mods to and trouble shooting for others with. They are really nice all in red and black trim but all functions are the same on them no matter what the color is.

Jax

Rhodesie1
Rhodesie1's picture
well i have many robots from

well i have many robots from woo wee and they work fine i have never had to repair them ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Rhodesie1 said:

Rhodesie1 said:
well i have many robots from woo wee and they work fine i have never had to repair them ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad that I was not the only one to call WowWee "Woo Wee" thanks I really needed that. I'm not poking fun at you because I know this was a typo but I have done that many,many,many times..

Thanks again,

Jax

ps I have to say your very lucky that nothing has gone wrong with your bots..But should they we are here to help.

roboboa
roboboa's picture
Thanks guys

Thanks guys

GWJax
GWJax's picture
roboboa said:

roboboa said:
Thanks guys

Did all go well with your Quad? I guess it did since you did not report anything bad. I hope you enjoy it and when you are ready for a good and easy hack you should look at 4mem8's Eye upgrade. He has done a very easy to read and easy to follow hack to the eyes in changing them to brighter LED's. Which enhances the look for the Quad.

Jax

roboboa
roboboa's picture
In case you may not know but

In case you may not know but as my picture that's my little quaddie and remote and I'm not exactly keen to hacking this RQ since ive seem him worth so much in his rare color I've really only seen this color on the internet for a few $100 but maybe if I get the money for a normal white quad.

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture
roboboa said: In case you may

roboboa said: In case you may not know but as my picture that's my little quaddie and remote and I'm not exactly keen to hacking this RQ since ive seem him worth so much in his rare color I've really only seen this color on the internet for a few $100 but maybe if I get the money for a normal white quad.

"Target" sells them in red/black and black/gray in their on line site when they do have them there. Right now, they are out but say they will have more soon.

Lady Donna

roboboa
roboboa's picture
I got mine for $50 at the

I got mine for $50 at the actual store i saw 1 more but it was gone in a day.

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture
roboboa said: I got mine for

roboboa said: I got mine for $60 at the actual store i saw 1 more but it was gone in a day.

My adoptive daughter found one for me on eBay and I was able to snap it up for $35.00 and that is with the shipping included. When I set it lose on "Demo" mode my cats took off like......Well! Scalded cats! They are willing to get along with my Robosapien's V1, V2 and Tri-bot because they look and act a bit human.

But Roboreptile, Robopet and Roboquad are out of the question!  With Robopet, it is the fact that he acts and sounds like a dog and my cats DO NOT LIKE DOGS! Roboreptile bit their noses right out of the box. Roboquad, I had goofed and put him in very nasty mode and he started going after every cat that got within his sight! Needless to say, Quad is on my cats "Do not screw with list!"

I can not wait to see what happens when I am able to get my hands on a Roboraptor, Roboboa (If I can ever find one.) and a Wrex The Dawg.

Like I have said before. With the lot of my toy robots from Japan and China, my cats look at me like "OH MUM!" "Not another one!" and perhaps bash it about a bit. But these Robosapien robots and my vox control R2-D2 are different storys! These bots can chase them back and they do not like it! On the other hand, I think it is very funny!

Lady Donna

GWJax
GWJax's picture
LOL Lady Donna very funny

LOL Lady Donna very funny story.. My Sharper Image Quad is still in parts and yes it's the red one.. I keep it like this for testing and troubleshooting for anyone with problems though I have not had the chance to play with any of my bots lately because I'm having trouble with my left hand now and can not pick up and hold things with it because my fingers are curling in on themselves and hurts to do so. I guess it's just age and arthritis really kicking in now. So you may see me on the forums less and less as time goes by..

Jax

milw
milw's picture
Our cats don't care about any

Our cats don't care about any of the bots with wheels (R2D2, Wrex, Rovio) but they are really REALLY interested in the Lightstar and Bladestars- maybe it's the high pitched prop noise, or the crazy bouncing action when one bumps into the couch... We're lucky that we haven't yet had a chewed wing!

Sorry to hear about your hand, GW- that must make it hard to type for the forums as well :(

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture
GWJax said: LOL Lady Donna

GWJax said: LOL Lady Donna very funny story.. My Sharper Image Quad is still in parts and yes it's the red one.. I keep it like this for testing and troubleshooting for anyone with problems though I have not had the chance to play with any of my bots lately because I'm having trouble with my left hand now and can not pick up and hold things with it because my fingers are curling in on themselves and hurts to do so. I guess it's just age and arthritis really kicking in now. So you may see me on the forums less and less as time goes by.. Jax

Luv,

You need to find a good vocal program that lets you talk to your computer and it does what you tell it to do. I know there are several good vocal programs out there luv. I had a good one made by "Dragon Systems" for "AOL" when I was using "Windows 98 SE" that let me control the mouse and say a word and it would type it in fields where typing was needed. (Like this one.) But it is no good to me any more because it will not work with anything above Windows 98.

Please Luv! Please! Go to "Best Buy," "Staples." "Office Depot" or some other office place and see what you can find. OK Luv. 

TikaC
TikaC's picture
GWJax - Sorry to hear about

GWJax - Sorry to hear about your condition. What OS are you using? Windows XP and Vista both have built in speech recognition in the "Accessibilities" in the Control Panel. I've used it on both XP and Vista computers and I must say that Vista does a better job of speech recognition. I've had to use it sometimes to write email and forum posts. And it's free with the OS so you don't have to go buying anything extra (except a headset/mic if you don't have one already).

I remember one guy who was mostly paralyzed and he would type with a finger or two on one hand and hold a stick in the other one to type with the other one. Took awhile but he got his message out.

Also something that comes with windows is I believe what they call a "keyboard mouse"? Or a keyboard where you can point and type using a mouse instead of the keyboard?

The nice thing about Windows is the accessibility options available. :)

idrum289
idrum289's picture
LOL Lady Royce. Very funny.

LOL Lady Royce. Very funny. My cat couldn't care less about my bots. Completely indifferent to them all, including Roboquad.
Hey GW, sad to hear about your ailments. I guess age catches up with all of us. God bless mate, I hope you either get better or not worse if that makes sense!

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture
My cats only care when I

My cats only care when I force them to interact, and even then, only for a little while.

Sorry to hear about your hand problems GWJax (on top of the eye problems). 

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Nocturnal, That was the

Nocturnal, That was the funniest video I've see in a long time!!! thanks for sharing that with us...

@ everyone thanks for your concerns but there is more about me that is bad that I don't want to share at this time. So if you all need any help I'll still be around at times.

@ Commander Pete I still have to finish up on some articles and mods that I have done in the background and will post them as soon as I can..

Jax

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture
:) It's an old video I made,

:) It's an old video I made, it's been posted before. It got a bit of coverage when I first posted it. My favourite description comes from gizmodo "As cool as this hack is, there's something creepy about seeing someone gut a teddy bear and then stuff its lifeless skin with the cold body of a Robosapien."

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture
Nocturnal said: :) It's an

Nocturnal said: :) It's an old video I made, it's been posted before. It got a bit of coverage when I first posted it. My favourite description comes from gizmodo "As cool as this hack is, there's something creepy about seeing someone gut a teddy bear and then stuff its lifeless skin with the cold body of a Robosapien."

Nocturnal,

In that video, it looks like there is a Robopet in the shoot, but the head looks different. Did you mod it by adding a CCD camera in the head's place?

Also, How did you get the RS to "see" the IR from the remote with the teddy skin over the RS head?

Lady Donna

TikaC
TikaC's picture
Nocturnal - LOL! I like that

Nocturnal - LOL! I like that gizmodo quote too. LOL! And agree that is one cool hack!

GWJax - Whatever it is, hope that you'll be ok. Hang in there. I can sympathize. Know that folks are thinking of you when times are rough. :)

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture
:) Yes that is a RoboPet with

:) Yes that is a RoboPet with a 2.4ghz wireless camera for a head. I had no real trouble with the IR remote (which surprised me), despite the fact the IR sensor is only just above the shoulders (inside the head), under a bag of stuffing that gives the head its shape.

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture
Nocturnal said: :) Yes that

Nocturnal said: :) Yes that is a RoboPet with a 2.4ghz wireless camera for a head. I had no real trouble with the IR remote (which surprised me), despite the fact the IR sensor is only just above the shoulders (inside the head), under a bag of stuffing that gives the head its shape.

On the Robopet, what did you do with the IR sensors from the old head and does that new head let you see everything the robot sees and what do you watch it on?

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture
If you look closely you can

If you look closely you can see the IR sensors embedded in the bluetack. 

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture
OK Luv. I see what you are

OK Luv. I see what you are after here. But can't you use one of these new tiny "Pinhole" cameras and mount it inside the head?

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture
I have not seen a wireless

I have not seen a wireless camera that would fit inside his head (including the battery), asides from which, I did not want to make any permanent changes.

We are talking about something I did 3 years ago.

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture
OK Luv. Well,I have seen

OK Luv. Well,I have seen these tiny wireless cameras that are small enough to fit the camera and the battery in the gondola of these R/C Blimps or a micro to mid size R/C Heli.

I just thought it would be intresting to see one in one of the "Wow Wee" bots. I have a bunch of ideas but no money to try them out and that is so ruddy frustrating.

Lady Donna

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture
Well you might like this then

Well you might like this then.

Assides from all the cosmetic work borg did, he also replaced one eye with a laser pointer, and the other with a camera.

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture
Good idea Luv. But why only

Good idea Luv. But why only one camera and a laser pointer? Why not a camera in both eyes? What are the lights on his shoulders and tummy for and are you going to put the rest of his shell back on him?

Also, how does one paint the outer shell of a V2? I have a red mini V2 and I want to paint my big V2 ("Andrew"" to match the mini V2. I have some mods in mind for Andrew and the pinhole camera is only one of the ideas I have in mind for Andrew.

Lady Donna.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture
:) I assume borg wanted it to

:) I assume borg wanted it to look a bit like a Borg.

This is what he made his avatar after completing things

The red dots are chrome bezel leds, again I assume he put them there because he liked the look. No, the panels are not going to be put back on (Several of the pieces on it have been cut to remove pieces). borg liked both the aesthetic and the ease of access the exposed skeleton offered.

You can either paint the shell in place, or remove it to paint. Either way need to be careful of the fingers, to much paint and the joints will gum up, risking damage. I've paint my both by hand, and with spray paint. I would recommend the spray paint as the easier path.

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Great Borg Nocturnal!! How

Great Borg Nocturnal!! How about adding the wires (tubes) out of his head and body to complete the Borg look? Also are you using the RoboDance software to access the camera and activating the laser in the head? Either way great work as always and this gives me a cool idea for my ripped down V2. Since I have the covers off I can make molds of them and re-due the sculpting of it.. Damn another mod again hehe..

Jax

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture
*Laughs* Apparently I haven't

*Laughs* Apparently I haven't made it clear. "borg" is the name of the user who work this is, its not my work.

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Nocturnal said:

Nocturnal said:
*Laughs* Apparently I haven't made it clear. "borg" is the name of the user who work this is, its not my work.

"giggles" Well it's still a cool mod and I could see you doing something like this. My bad LOL but still it would make a really cool article to do.

Jax

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture
GWJax said:

GWJax said:

Nocturnal said: *Laughs* Apparently I haven't made it clear. "borg" is the name of the user who work this is, its not my work.

"giggles" Well it's still a cool mod and I could see you doing something like this. My bad LOL but still it would make a really cool article to do. Jax

I agree with you Jax. That bot looks SUPER COOL, but I like the idea of two cameras and then tieing this idea in with my sentry idea I posted on the "RS Media" contest posting..

Thank you for the paint info Nocturnal.  On painting the hands, would it be better to hand paint them rather then spraying them and risking problems?

Lady Donna

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Yes I do agree that all this

Yes I do agree that all this info should be split into another thread for hacking the V2 since we are one the RQ problems thread. Yet this is quite interesting on the hack.. Nocturnal do you know if borg's web site or where ever he posted this information is still active? If so please post the link for us or at least me so I/we can see the entire hack and process..

Since MrScott had resigned I guess that leaves milw to move this thread and let us know were it went..

Jax

milw
milw's picture
Heh, working on it even as

Heh, working on it even as you're typing, GW!
Here's the new link: http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/15977/Borg-s-Modified-RSV2/#38143
We'll have to get the photos into a gallery also- makes me want to go back and finish up Fluffy...

roboboa
roboboa's picture
My cat is scared of ALL my

My cat is scared of ALL my bots for 1 reason,there much bigger then him even though it's kind of funny to see him sneak past like he knows "if they don't see me they will not touch me" (heh heh didn't see 2nd page)

DaveDorm
DaveDorm's picture
Found one at the flea market

Found one at the flea market for $15! Unreal. Still learning what all I can make him do.

Pages